Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

Default looking for sauerbraten recipe

My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes a great
sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to make this at
home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 24 Dec 2005 04:45:09p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bill?

> My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes a great
> sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to make this at
> home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share? Thanks.

There was a fairly extensive thread here on Sauerbraten not long ago. You
can probably find it in Google Groups with "Sauerbraten" in the subject.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Bill" > wrote in message
> My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes
> a great
> sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to
> make this at
> home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share?
> Thanks.

Here's a few!

-= Exported from BigOven =-

A Different Sauerbraten

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Veal, German

-= Ingredients =-
Bacon ; 4-6 slices
Beef roast
Flour
4 Carrots
4 Celery stalks
3 Onions
8 ounces Sour cream
3 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

-= Instructions =-
Cook bacon in a large dutch oven and add cleaned veggies
(carrots and celery cut into two to three pieces per stick
and onions cut in half and torn apart). Brown veggies
thoroughly. Roll roast in flour,salt, and pepper mixture.
Add roast to pot and brown. (remove veggies) Return veggies
to pot and add water to cover. Add bay leaves and simmer 3
to 5 hours. Remove roast and bay leaves. Mix remainder
(liquid and veggies) in blender with sour cream to desired
taste. Pour gravy over roast and serve with knodel and
rotkohl. Panni brand Knodel (potato dumplings) mix can be
found in the specialty food aisle and is easy to prepare.
Enjoy! I'm sure you'll be a great success!!! Subj: A
Different Sauerbraten From: Fred Ball Date: 30 Nov 98
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 762 Calories; 49g Fat
(55.3% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 73g Carbohydrate;
17g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 371mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 11 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 9 1/2
Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Dr. Oetker's Sauerbraten

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
2 pounds Beef ; roasting
1 Onion
4 Peppercorns
2 Cloves
1 small Bay leaf
1 cup Vinegar
2 1/3 Cup ; Water
4 tablespoon Shortening
Salt
Gingersnaps ; Dr. Oetker's
Crumbled
Cornstarch

-= Instructions =-
Calories per serving: 550 Fat grams per serving: 36
Approx. Cook Time: 2:00 Peel the onion and slice into
thin rings. Wash beef, drain it well, and put in an
earthenware bowl with the onion, peppercorns, cloves, bay
leaf, vinegar, and 1-1/3 cups water. Cover the bowl and
allow the meat to marinate in a cool place for 4 to 6 days.
Turn the meat twice daily, adding additional vinegar and
water as needed to keep the meat covered. Once the
marinating is complete, remove the meat and dry it. In a
pot, heat the shortening. Brown the meat on all sides and
salt it to taste. Carefully add 1 cup hot water from the
side of the pot and crumbled ginger snaps. Leave the pot to
simmer gently with the lid on. Turn the meat from time to
time, adding water if necessary. The will be about 1 1/2
hours. When the meat is ready, serve it with the gravy in
which it has been cooked thickened with a bit of corn
starch if necessary. This is very good with dumplings.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1228 Calories; 137g
Fat (98.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 5g
Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 6mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 27 1/2 Fat; 0
Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

German Sauerbraten Coca-cola

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 8
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
4 pounds Beef rump ; sirloin tip OR
Round bone chuck ; boneless
1/2 cup Vinegar
1 cup COCA-COLA
3/4 cup Water
3 Onions ; sliced
2 Stalks celery ; sliced
2 Carrots ; sliced
10 Whole black peppercorns
10 Whole cloves
3 Bay leaves
2 tablespoon Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
Flour
3 tablespoon Oil or shortening
-GRAVY-
3 cups Drippings plus strained
Marinade
5 tablespoon Flour
5 tablespoon Ginger snap crumbs

-= Instructions =-
2 to 4 days before serving, wipe the meat with a damp
cloth, then place in a large plastic bag. In a large
bowl, thoroughly combine the vinegar, Coca-Cola, water,
onions, celery, carrots, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, sugar,
and salt and pour over meat. Fasten bag tightly and lay
flat in a 13x9-inch pan. Refrigerate, turning bag each day.
(If you like a sour sauerbraten, let meat marinate 4 days.)
When ready to cook, remove meat (saving marinade) and dry
well. Rub the surface lightly with flour. In Dutch oven,
heat oil or shortening and slowly brown the meat well on
all sides. Add 1 cup of the marinade liquid plus some of
the vegetables and bay leaves. Cover tightly and simmer on
surface heat or in a preheat, 350F oven for 3 to 4 hours
until the meat is fork-tender. If needed, add more marinade
during cooking to keep at least 1/2-inch liquid in the Dutch
oven. Remove the meat and keep warm until ready to slice.
Into a large measuring cup, strain the drippings. Add
several ice cubes and let stand a few minutes until the fat
separates out. Remove fat, then make gravy. Makes 8
servings. TO MAKE THE GRAVY: In the Dutch oven, combine
the gravy ingredients, stir and cook about 5 minutes over
medium heat until gravy is thickened. Taste for seasonings.
Makes 3 cups of gravy. Recipe: "International Cooking
with Coca-Cola", a give-away pamphlet from The Coca-Cola
Company, 1981 U/l to NCE by Burt Ford 8/98.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 511 Calories; 2g Fat
(4.1% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 117g Carbohydrate; 5g
Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 423mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4
Grain(Starch); 1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr.
Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Old Munich Sauerbraten (clay-pot)

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-

-= Instructions =-
: MARINADE------------------- 1 Cup :
Vinegar; or more 1 c Water 10 Whole cloves
1 Bouquet garni made of: 4 Bay leaves 2
Sprigs celery leaves 1 Sprig fresh thyme 3
Juniper berries; crushed 1 lg Onion; sliced thin
3 cl garlic; crushed 2 ts Salt 1 Lemon;
sliced MMMMM------------------------------ MEAT
~-------------------------------- 5 lb Bottom round
roast of beef 2 ts Bacon fat 8 oz Tomato sauce
1 Bouillon cube 1/2 c Red wine 3 tb Brown
sugar; or more 4 Strips lemon peel 5
Gingersnaps; crumbled 1 tb Worcestershire sauce 1
1/2 ts Arrowroot; : approximately Combine all
the ingredients for the marinade in a porcelain-enameled
container. Add the meat and for best results marinate for 10
days, if not more. Turn twice daily. When ready to cook,
presoak a large clay pot, top and bottom, in water for 15
minutes. Remove the meat from marinade, put in a large
frying pan, and sear on all sides in the hot bacon fat.
Meanwhile, pour the marinade into a saucepan and reduce to
1/3 its original volume by boiling rapidly, uncovered.
Place the meat in the presoaked pot, then add the marinade
and all the other ingredients except the arrowroot. Cover
the pot and place it in a cold oven. Set the oven
temperature at 425 degrees. Cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours,
until almost done, then remove the po from the oven and
pour off the sauce. Return the pot to the oven, uncovered,
for a final 10 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, put the
sauce into a blender container and blend. Taste for
seasoning; the sauce should be "sweet and sour." If not, add
brown sugar and/or vinegar. Heat the sauce, thicken with
the arrowroot, and serve over the meat and German potato
pancakes. Source: "The Clay-Pot Cookbook" by Georgia
McLoed Sales and Grover Sales
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 0 Calories; 0g Fat
(0.0% calories from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 0g
Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges:
..Nutr. Assoc. :

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Rheinischer Sauerbraten (rhenish Stewed Pickled
Beef)

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
MMMMM ; MARINADE FOR
SAUERBRATEN ; -
-0 liter Vinegar
-0 liter Water
1 Bay leaf
Or more ; to taste
6 Peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon Mustardseeds
1 Onion ; finely chopped
1000 grams Beef
Or horse meat
-ADD FOR STEWING-
60 grams Margarine
-0 liter Hot broth
2 tablespoon Red wine ; dry or dry
White wine
50 grams German black bread
1 tablespoon Flour
4 tablespoon Sweet cream**
40 grams Raisins
-APPLE PUREE-
Some apples
1 Lemon
Sugar
15 Minutes.

-= Instructions =-
MARINADE FOR SAUERBRATEN: Wash the beef, dry it with a
paper towel. Score fatty parts. Put the beef into a china
(or ceramic or glass) bowl. Bring water with vinegar and
spices to a boil, pour it hot over the beef (the beef must
be completely covered), and stir well. Keep covered and
cool for 3-4 days and turn the meat at least two times a
day. SAUERBRATEN: After the 3-4 days of marinating:
Take the beef off the marinade, drain well. Pour the
marinade through a fine sieve. ** If you prefer a gamy
taste: (from an old German Sauerbraten recipe) - use lard
instead of margarine - and sour cream instead of sweet
cream - and add a lot of onions - and some dried juniper
berries. Heat margarine and brown the beef from all
sides. That will take you about Add broth, dry wine and
three tablespoons (not more) of the marinade. Cover and
stew for 90 minutes. Crumble the German black bread and
add it only 10 minutes before the end of stewing time.
Put the beef on a chopping board and cut it into 1/2 inch
slices - cut transverse to the fibre. Keep it warm.
GRAVY: Sieve the beef stock and bring to a boil. Reduce
temperature. Mix flour and cream in a cup until they are
well-mixed and free of lumps. Stir the mixture into the
stock and keep the gravy boiling for 5 minutes. Wash the
raisins in very hot water, drain and add them to the gravy.
Wait 3 minutes. Salt to taste. Pour a little gravy over
the Sauerbraten, serve the rest apart. (Do not omit the
raisins, they are indispensable if you want to make a
really good Sauerbraten - you are not forced to eat them,
but they should be in the gravy.) APPLE PUREE (to be
served at room temperature, not ice-cold, with the hot
Sauerbraten): Peel, quarter and core the apples, boil
them in water with lemon juice, add some sugar, mash the
apples. Cool well. Before serving add some further sugar to
taste, the puree should be sweet) Serve with boiled red
cabbage and steamed barm dumplings.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 3606 Calories; 242g
Fat (60.4% calories from fat); 199g Protein; 159g
Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 670mg Cholesterol; 1149mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 6 1/2 Grain(Starch); 26 Lean Meat; 1 1/2
Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fruit; 31 1/2 Fat; 1 Other
Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Meats, Beef

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 c Dry red wine
1/2 c Red wine vinegar
2 c Cold water
Medium size onion peeled and
Thinly sliced
Handful of crushed black
Peppercorns
4 Whole juniper berries
Couple of bay leaves
5 lb Boneless top or bottom round
Roast
3 tb Lard
1/2 c Finely chopped carrots
1/4 c Fresh chopped celery
2 tb Flour
1/2 c Water
1/2 c Crushed gingersnaps or 1 cup
Ready-made honey cake

-= Instructions =-
In large saucepan combine 1/2 cup dry red wine, 1/2 cup red
wine vinegar 2 cup cold water, a Medium size onion, peeled
and thinly sliced, handful of crushed black peppercorns and
4 whole juniper berries (which she crushed in the Pestle,
and a couple of bay leaves. Bring this marinade to a boil,
then remove from heat and allow to come to room temp. Place
a 5 lb boneless top or bottom round roast, with fat trimmed
off, in a deep crock just large enough to hold it
comfortably (don't quite know if the roast will complain if
it isn't comfortable @8^))). Pour the cooled marinade over
the roast. Grandmother made sure the marinade came at least
half way up the sides of the meat. If there wasn't enough
marinade, she would add more wine. She would turn the meat
to moisten all sides, and covered the crock with the wooden
top, and put it out on the porch where it was cold (not
freezing). and left it there for 4-5 days. Everyday she
turned the meat in the marinade at least two times. On the
5th day she removed the meat from the marinade and
completely dried it with towels. Strain the marinade
through a fine sieve and reserve the liquid. She threw away
the spices in the sieve. She took a large casserole and
melted 3 Tbsp lard in it over high heat until it started to
sputter. She added the meat and browned it on all sides and
made sure it browned well, without burning. Take the meat
and transfer it to a platter, and pour off and throw away
all but a couple of Tbsp of the fat from the casserole. Add
1/2 cup finely chopped onions, 1/2 cup finely chopped
carrots, 1/4 cup fresh chopped celery to the fat in the
casserole and cook over mod. heat stirring frequently, for
about 6-8 minutes or until they are soft and light brown.
Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of flour over the vegetables and cook,
stirring constantly, for another 2-3 minutes longer, or
until the flour begins to color. Pour 2 cup of the reserved
marinade and 1/2 cup water and bring to a boil over high
heat. Return the meat to the casserole. Cover and simmer
over low heat for 2 hours or until the meat shows no
resistance when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
Transfer the meat to a heated platter and cover to keep it
warm while making the sauce. Pour the liquid left in the
casserole into a large measuring cup and skim the fat from
the surface. You will need 2-1/2 Cups of liquid for the
sauce. If you have more than that, boil it briskly over
high heat until it is reduced to that amount. If you have
less, add some of the reserved marinade. Combine the liquid
and 1/2 cup crushed gingersnaps or 1 cup ready-made honey
cake in a small saucepan and cook over mod. heat, stirring
frequently for 10 min. The crumbs will disintegrate in the
sauce and thicken slightly. Strain the sauce through a fine
sieve, pressing down hard with a wooden spoon to force as
much of the vegetables and crumbs through as possible.
Return the sauce to the pan, taste for seasoning and let it
simmer over low heat till ready to serve. To serve carve
the meat into 1/4" slices and arrange attractively, over
lapping layers on a platter. Moisten the slices with a few
Tbsp of the sauce and pass the remaining sauce separately
in a gravy boat. Sometimes she would cook this in the oven
rather than on top of the stove. She brought the casserole
to a boil over high heat, covered it tightly and cooked in
a preheated 350~ oven for about 2 hours. If we were lucky,
we had red cabbage and potato dumplings with this. Here's
the recipe my Great Grandmother left me Bobbie Kopf From:
"Gladys Dinletir" >

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Meats, Beef

-= Ingredients =-
5 pounds Top round
10 Whole garlic cloves ; peeled
1 quart Red wine vinegar
2 cups Julienned onions
1 small Bundle of fresh thyme
4 Bay leaves
1 tablespoon Whole black peppercorns
1/4 cup Sugar
4 cups Beef stock
1 cup Crushed gingersnap cookies
1 cup Sour cream

-= Instructions =-
Stud the roast with the whole garlic cloves, and season with
salt and pepper. Place the roast in a deep glass bowl. In a
mixing bowl, whisk the vinegar, onions, herbs, and sugar
together. Whisk the liquid until the sugar dissolves. Pour
the marinade over the roast and cover with plastic wrap.
Place the roast in the refrigerator and marinate for 72
hours. Remove the roast from the marinade. Strain the
marinade. Place the roast in a braising pan. Add the beef
stock to the strained liquid. Pour the liquid over the
roast and place in the oven. The liquid should cover 1/2 of
the roast. Braise the roast covered for 2-3 hours. Turn the
meat several times and add additional stock if needed.
Place pan with the braising liquid over a burner. Bring the
liquid to a simmer. Whisk the crushed gingersnaps into the
liquid. Simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt
and pepper. Stir in the sour cream. Slice the roast and
coat meat with some of the sauce. Serve the remaining sauce
separately with potato pancakes or dumplings.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Cooking Light 1994, Meats

-= Ingredients =-
1 (2-pound) lean boneless rump roast
5 cups water
1 cup cider vinegar
1 medium onion ; thinly sliced
6 black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
4 whole allspice
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoon water
Finely shredded carrot ; optional

-= Instructions =-
Trim fat from roast. Place roast in a large bowl; set aside.
Combine water and next 6 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to
a boil. Pour hot mixture over roast; cover and marinate in
refrigerator for 2 days, turning roast twice each day.Remove
roast from marinade; reserve marinade. Pat roast dry with
paper towels. Sprinkle salt and pepper over roast. Coat a
large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium heat
until hot. Add roast; brown on all sides. Remove roast from
pan, and set aside.Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add
chopped onion and diced carrot; sauté 3 minutes or until
crisp-tender. Stir in sugar. Add roast and reserved
marinade. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1
hour. Turn roast over; cook an additional hour or until
tender. Remove roast from pan; set aside, and keep
warm.Strain cooking liquid through a sieve into a bowl, and
discard solids. Return cooking liquid to pan. Place flour in
a bowl, and gradually add 3 tablespoons water, stirring with
a wire whisk until blended; add to cooking liquid. Cook over
medium heat 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.Cut roast
into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and arrange on a serving
platter. Pour a small amount of cooking liquid over
roast.(serving size: 3 ounces roast and 1/2 cup
sauce)Source: "Cooking Light, Sept 1994, page
138"Copyright: "© Cooking Light"Per Serving (excluding
unknown items): 282 Calories; 9g Fat (27.4% calories from
fat); 35g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 88mg
Cholesterol; 289mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4
1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 0 Other
Carbohydrates.NOTES : Garnish with shredded carrot, if
desired. Serve with remaining cooking liquid.Nutr. Assoc. :
4795 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4921

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten #1

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
1 large Trimmed beef brisket
1 teaspoon Garlic pepper
1 teaspoon Beau Monde ; or salt
2 cloves Garlic ; minced
4 cups Wine vinegar
4 cups Water
1 cup Sliced onions
4 Bay leaves
2 teaspoons Peppercorns
4 teaspoons Caraway seeds
1/2 cup Sugar
To cook:
1/2 cup Brown sugar
Flour to thicken stock
2 cups Sour cream

-= Instructions =-
Heat all marinade ingredients to nearly boiling and pour
over brisket. More than half of the brisket should be
covered. Be sure container is non-metallic; cover with lid
and refrigerate for a week, turning every other day. The
longer you marinate, the sourer the meat. When ready to
bake, pour the marinade through a sieve to strain out the
large solid spices. Place the brisket in a large covered
roasting pan, pour the strained marinade over the meat,
cover and roast in oven at 350 degrees for 2 or 3 hours.
During the last 30 minutes, sprinkle the brisket with the
1/2 cup brown sugar and resume roasting. Remove brisket
from roaster, and thicken stock with flour; add the 2 cups
of sour cream, stir in well, and serve thickened stock over
sliced brisket.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1884 Calories; 98g
Fat (43.4% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 269g
Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 204mg Cholesterol; 323mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1
1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 19 1/2 Fat; 15 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr.
Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten & Ginger

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
4 pounds Rump roast ; beef boneless
8 Peppercorns
1 Bay leaf
1 cup Water
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
2 cups Water ; boiling
1/2 cup Sour cream
2 Onions ; thinly sliced
4 cloves Whole
1 cup White vinegar ; mild
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
10 Gingersnaps
1 tablespoon Unbleached flour

-= Instructions =-
Place the beef roast in a deep ceramic or glass bowl. Add
onions, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf. Pour white
vinegar and cider vinegar over the meat; chill, covered,
for 4 days. Turn meat twice each day. Remove the meat
from the marinade, dry it well with paper towels, and
strain the marinade into a bowl. Reserve onions and 1 cup
marinade. In a Dutch oven brown the meat on all sides in
hot vegetable oil. Sprinkle meat with salt. Pour boiling
water around the meat. Sprinkle in crushed gingersnaps, and
simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours. Turn often. Add 1 cup of
reserved marinade and cook meat 2 hours or more, until
tender. Remove the meat and keep it warm. Strain the
cooking juices into a large saucepan. In a small bowl mix
sour cream with flour. Stir it into the cooking juices and
cook, stirring, until sauce is thickened and smooth. Slice
meat in 1/4 inch slices; add to hot gravy. Arrange meat on
a heated plater and pour extra sauce over it. Author
unknown. U/l to NCE by Burt Ford 8/98. From: Burton Ford
Date: 26 Aug 98
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 125 Calories; 9g Fat
(58.9% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g
Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 162mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0
Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2
Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten (mw)

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
12 ounces Stale beer
1/3 cup Red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Whole cloves
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
8 Gingersnaps ; crushed
2 tablespoon Brown sugar
2 1/2 Pound Beef pot roast
1 large Onion ; sliced

-= Instructions =-
Combine beer and vinegar, spices, gingersnaps and brown
sugar in 2 cup glass measure; stir. Microwave 1 minute at
High setting; set aside. Cut meat into serving size
pieces an arrange in 3 quart microwave casserole. Arrange
onion slices over top, then pour liquid over all. Cover and
microwave at Medium setting 45-60 minutes, or until meat is
tender, turning halfway through cooking time. If using meat
thermometer, meat should reach 170 F. Let stand, covered, 5
minutes before serving.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; trace
Fat (0.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 48g
Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 19mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Fat; 3 Other
Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten (pot Roast)

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
4 pounds Beef **
Water
12 Peppercorns ; black
1 Carrot
1 teaspoon Sugar
Salt & pepper
1 pint Vinegar
4 Bay leaf
4 Cloves
6 Onion
12 Gingersnaps

-= Instructions =-
** Use beef chuck, rump, or round. Wipe meat with damp
cloth and then sprinkle thoroughly with salt and pepper.
Place meat in an earthen dish and add vinegar and enough
water to cover. Add the bay leaves, peppercorns and cloves,
and let stand tightly covered for 5 days in a cool place.
Cut carrots in strips; slice onions. Put meat in a dutch
oven and brown well on all sides. Add the carrots and onions
and 1 cup of the spiced vinegar. Cover tightly and cook
over low flame about 3 hours or until meat is tender. When
meat is cooked, add the sugar and crumbled ginger snaps and
cook for 10 minutes. This makes delicious gravy. If
necessary, more of the spiced vinegar may be added.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1559 Calories; 15g
Fat (7.8% calories from fat); 15g Protein; 373g
Carbohydrate; 25g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 665mg
Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 11 1/2 Vegetable; 2 1/2
Fat; 19 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Sauerbraten Ala Brigitte

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Beef

-= Ingredients =-
2 1/4 Pound Lean boneless
Beef roast
1 pint Buttermilk
1 3/4 Ounce Butter
1 Bayleaf
1 medium Onion
2 Whole cloves
2 Peppercorns
2 2/3 Ounce Bacon
1 cup Red wine
2 1/4 Cup Water1
1 sl Rye bread
2 Carrots
Salt
1/2 cup Tomato paste

-= Instructions =-
1. Wash and dry meat well. Put in a porcelain or glass
bowl. Peel and slice the onions and the carrots and place
on top of the meat. Add the bayleaf and the peppercorns and
then pour the wine and the buttermilk over it all. Let the
meat marinade for 3 days, turn it over daily. 2. Cut the
bacon in cubes and fry it in the butter until it is crisp.
Add the meat and lightly brown on all sides. Add 2 Tb of the
marinade and simmer for 10 minutes more. 3. Add the
tomato paste and the crumbled rye bread and salt to taste.
Add the carrot and onion slices and simmer on low for about
1 1/2 hrs. Trun the meat often and replace water, if
necessary. Strain the gravy and thicken with a little
conrstarch if desired. Traditionally served with wide
noodles, or mashed potatoes and carrots or mixed
vegetables. Try out more marinade to adjust to your taste.
Source: Brigitte Sealing, Cyberealm BBS, Watertown, NY
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 117 Calories; 2g Fat
(13.8% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 3g
Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 333mg Sodium. Exchanges:
1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 0
Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave W.

In article >,
Bill > wrote:

> My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes a great
> sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to make this at
> home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share? Thanks.

Here's one I got a good many years ago from a Penzey's catalog. It's the
first one that I tried that worked out. YMMV.

Penzeys¹ Sauerbraten

1 cup red wine
1 cup red wine vinegar
2 cups water
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tb. black peppercorns
1 tb. juniper berries
4 whole cloves
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
3-5 lb boneless beef roast (top or bottom round cut)
3 tb. shortening or vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
3 medium carrots, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
2 tb. flour
3-4 gingersnap cookies, crumbled

(40 min. preparation, 2-4 days marinade, 2 1/2 hrs cooking)
Crush spices with mortar and pestle or a heavy spoon, break bay leaves
in half. Bring wine, vinegar, and water to a boil with onion and spices,
remove from heat and allow to cool. Place beef in a deep, non-reactive
pot, pour marinade over, turn beef to moisten on all sides. Cover
tightly, refrigerate 2-4 days, turning beef twice daily.

Heat oil or shortening in a large, heavy skillet over high heat until
very hot. Remove beef from marinade, pat dry. Brown beef in oil
thoroughly on all sides. Strain marinade into a small sauce pan, discard
spices and onions. Boil rapidly for several minutes, scraping off foam
as it rises to the top.

While beef is browning, peel and chop onion, carrots, and celery.

Remove beef from oil, add vegetables, reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-7
minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and slightly brown. Sprinkle
with 2 tb. flour, cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the
reserved marinade over vegetables, bring to a rapid boil.

Pour over beef placed in deep cooking kettle. Simmer at a low
temperature for about 2 hours, until the beef shows little resistance
when poled with a knife. Remove beef from pot, cover loosely with foil,
let rest before carving.

Crumble ginger snaps into marinade, boil briskly to reduce liquid to
about 2 cups. Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a sauce
pan, pushing down on the vegetables for maximum flavor. Return to stove,
simmer over low heat while carving beef. Drizzle a small amount of sauce
over beef. Serve the rest in a bowl for passing. Traditionally served
with boiled new potatoes or spaetzle (or, at my house, potato pancakes).

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonardo

Bill wrote:
> My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes a great
> sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to make this at
> home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share? Thanks.

Here is our traditional recipe

SAUERBRATEN (German Pot Roast)
Serving Size : 12

6 pounds Beef Top Round Roast

MARINADE
1 cup Cider Vinegar
1 quart Beer (I like Henekin or St Pauli Girl)
1 each large onion -- sliced
1 large carrots, coarsly chopped
2 stalks celery, coarsly chopped
2 each Bay Leaves
4 each Cloves, Whole
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon teaspoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon Garlic -- minced

1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Sugar

Marinade From Beef
1 Cup Beef Stock

1/2 cup Red Wine
1/4 cup Sour Cream
Roux if needed

[1) Mix Vinegar, Beer and Seasonings, bring to a boil. Pour over
Beef and Marinate 2-3 days in refrigerator. Turn twice each day. 3 or 4
days is even better.

[2) Remove meat from marinade and pat meat dry. Brown Meat in Olive
oil on all sides. Sprinkle a little sugar over beef and brown.
The browning does not seal in juices as many think - what browning does
is develop more complex flavors - so brown it well and don't skip this
step.

[3) Pour marinade into large pot and add the browned beef. Add beef
stock to just barely cover meat about 2/3 or more. SIMMER 3 - 4 hours,
covered, until meat is 160 to 180 °F internal temperature.

[4) When done, remove meat; Strain liquid, pressing vegetables to get
all the juices. Add Red Wine to cooking liquid and reduce till flavor
is correct. Add Sour Cream and mix in; thicken with roux if needed.

For a stronger and more intense flavor:
* You may leave out the ginger and use crushed ginger snap cookies
instead of roux to thicken the gravy. Or do both.
** You can also press cloves into the meat before marinating, 20 to 30
cloves. Be sure to remove them before cooking.

Leonard

www.foodreference.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bill

In article >,
"Dave W." > wrote:

> In article >,
> Bill > wrote:
>
> > My favorite German restaurant, the Black Forest Inn, makes a great
> > sauerbraten and spaetzle dinner. I'd love to be able to make this at
> > home. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they can share? Thanks.

> Here's one I got a good many years ago from a Penzey's catalog. It's the
> first one that I tried that worked out. YMMV.
>
> Penzeys¹ Sauerbraten
>
> 1 cup red wine
> 1 cup red wine vinegar
> 2 cups water
> 1 large onion, thinly sliced
> 2 tb. black peppercorns
> 1 tb. juniper berries
> 4 whole cloves
> 4 bay leaves
> 1 tsp. salt
> 3-5 lb boneless beef roast (top or bottom round cut)
> 3 tb. shortening or vegetable oil
> 1 large onion, diced
> 3 medium carrots, diced
> 3 ribs celery, diced
> 2 tb. flour
> 3-4 gingersnap cookies, crumbled
>
> (40 min. preparation, 2-4 days marinade, 2 1/2 hrs cooking)
> Crush spices with mortar and pestle or a heavy spoon, break bay leaves
> in half. Bring wine, vinegar, and water to a boil with onion and spices,
> remove from heat and allow to cool. Place beef in a deep, non-reactive
> pot, pour marinade over, turn beef to moisten on all sides. Cover
> tightly, refrigerate 2-4 days, turning beef twice daily.
>
> Heat oil or shortening in a large, heavy skillet over high heat until
> very hot. Remove beef from marinade, pat dry. Brown beef in oil
> thoroughly on all sides. Strain marinade into a small sauce pan, discard
> spices and onions. Boil rapidly for several minutes, scraping off foam
> as it rises to the top.
>
> While beef is browning, peel and chop onion, carrots, and celery.
>
> Remove beef from oil, add vegetables, reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-7
> minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and slightly brown. Sprinkle
> with 2 tb. flour, cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the
> reserved marinade over vegetables, bring to a rapid boil.
>
> Pour over beef placed in deep cooking kettle. Simmer at a low
> temperature for about 2 hours, until the beef shows little resistance
> when poled with a knife. Remove beef from pot, cover loosely with foil,
> let rest before carving.
>
> Crumble ginger snaps into marinade, boil briskly to reduce liquid to
> about 2 cups. Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve into a sauce
> pan, pushing down on the vegetables for maximum flavor. Return to stove,
> simmer over low heat while carving beef. Drizzle a small amount of sauce
> over beef. Serve the rest in a bowl for passing. Traditionally served
> with boiled new potatoes or spaetzle (or, at my house, potato pancakes).

This sounds great, I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Dave!