Bakelite -- oven safe?

Old 22-12-2005, 12:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Bakelite -- oven safe?

I'm making braised short ribs for one of our holiday dinners. I'd like to
cook them in a vintage pot which appears to have Bakelite handles. The
pot's easily 40 years old; the dish is long-cooking at around 325F.

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe? I'm more than happy to
wrap the handles with foil, if that would have any heat-reflecting effect.
I'm not finding any answers through Dogpile or AskJeeves (I'm probably not
asking the right question), although modern "Bakelite" (or what they're
claiming is Bakelite -- after further reading, I have my doubts) appears to
be safe to 350F.

Thoughts?
-j

Old 22-12-2005, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"jacqui{JB}" writes:

I'm making braised short ribs for one of our holiday dinners. I'd like to
cook them in a vintage pot which appears to have Bakelite handles. The
pot's easily 40 years old; the dish is long-cooking at around 325F.

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe?

If it's old Bakelite it probably is reasonable oven safe at 325, but
you aren't doing the Bakelite any favors; the more you use it at high
temperatures the more brittle it becomes.

Note that Bakelite doesn't melt, it just becomes brittle and gives off
nasty phenol vapors. But if it's old Bakelite, much of the phenol has
probably been baked out already.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old 22-12-2005, 03:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

jacqui{JB} wrote:
I'm making braised short ribs for one of our holiday dinners. I'd like to
cook them in a vintage pot which appears to have Bakelite handles. The
pot's easily 40 years old; the dish is long-cooking at around 325F.

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe? I'm more than happy to
wrap the handles with foil, if that would have any heat-reflecting effect.
I'm not finding any answers through Dogpile or AskJeeves (I'm probably not
asking the right question), although modern "Bakelite" (or what they're
claiming is Bakelite -- after further reading, I have my doubts) appears to
be safe to 350F.

Thoughts?
-j

Bakelite is s thermoset plastic, so it wont melt. But it does char, and
you're well into charring temps there. I wouldnt.

NT

Old 22-12-2005, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 2005-12-22, jacqui{JB} wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe?

Probably not. While Bakelite is heat resistant and good for handles
on hot pans, it's not entirely heat proof. Here's one data source:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1F062B5C

You'll notice it claims 2 hrs at 160 deg C and 5000 hrs at 140 deg C.
I'm not sure if these cumulative, or not. Either way, I'm sure 350
deg F is too hot for any time. You'll know when you've gotten
Bakelite too hot. It stinks to high heaven.

C F
160 320
140 284

nb

nb
Old 22-12-2005, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"jacqui{JB}" wrote in message
. dk...

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe?

Thanks for the input, folks. I'm going to pass; I'm rather fond of this pot
and I'd hate to damage it. Too bad the spousal unit immediately vetoed my
solution: to go forth and purchase a Le Creuset covered casserole in
approximately the same dimensions. I suppose I'll have to make do with
something less expensi ... err, exotic.

-j

Old 22-12-2005, 10:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

jacqui{JB} wrote:
I'm making braised short ribs for one of our holiday dinners. I'd like to
cook them in a vintage pot which appears to have Bakelite handles. The
pot's easily 40 years old; the dish is long-cooking at around 325F.

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe? I'm more than happy to
wrap the handles with foil, if that would have any heat-reflecting effect.
I'm not finding any answers through Dogpile or AskJeeves (I'm probably not
asking the right question), although modern "Bakelite" (or what they're
claiming is Bakelite -- after further reading, I have my doubts) appears to
be safe to 350F.

Thoughts?
-j

Yes they are oven safe, but I don't think oven use is really all that
good for the handles. Covering with foil is a good idea.

Bob
Old 22-12-2005, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

jacqui{JB} wrote:
I'm making braised short ribs for one of our holiday dinners. I'd like to
cook them in a vintage pot which appears to have Bakelite handles. The
pot's easily 40 years old; the dish is long-cooking at around 325F.

Can anyone tell me if the handles are oven-safe? I'm more than happy to
wrap the handles with foil, if that would have any heat-reflecting effect.
I'm not finding any answers through Dogpile or AskJeeves (I'm probably not
asking the right question), although modern "Bakelite" (or what they're
claiming is Bakelite -- after further reading, I have my doubts) appears to
be safe to 350F.

Thoughts?
-j

Yes they are oven safe, but I don't think oven use is really all that
good for the handles. Covering with foil is a good idea.

Bob

Could you remove the handles, them re-attach them when the dish is
baked? I've found handles loosen over the years and I have to tighten
them down every once in a while.

Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 02-09-2005 05:31 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 27-07-2005 05:30 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 2 16-01-2005 06:50 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 29-12-2004 06:27 AM