Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope

Default Orange Lentil Tostadas

This one came out above average.

Chop half of a large head of frissee, one carrot, and one destringed
stalk of celery and toss in a salad bowl with olive oil, lime
juice (I used some heritage lime variety but I neglected to note
which one), sea salt and pepper.

Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan, and sear 1/2 teaspoon
each of powdered cumin and tumeric. Add one heaping cup of
cooked orange lentils, and mash them around with a spoon.
Orange lentils tend to retain a lot of water when cooked, so
refry them long enough to drive most of it out. Add enough
shaved nutmeg to be noticed. Mix in 2/3 cup of cooked cauliflower
which has been chopped rather small.

Puff two 10" trans-fat-free flour tortillas in a toaster oven,
spread on the lentil mixture then top with the frissee mixture.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Steve Pope wrote:
> This one came out above average.
>
> Chop half of a large head of frissee, one carrot, and one destringed
> stalk of celery and toss in a salad bowl with olive oil, lime
> juice (I used some heritage lime variety but I neglected to note
> which one), sea salt and pepper.
>
> Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan, and sear 1/2 teaspoon
> each of powdered cumin and tumeric. Add one heaping cup of
> cooked orange lentils, and mash them around with a spoon.
> Orange lentils tend to retain a lot of water when cooked, so
> refry them long enough to drive most of it out. Add enough
> shaved nutmeg to be noticed. Mix in 2/3 cup of cooked cauliflower
> which has been chopped rather small.
>
> Puff two 10" trans-fat-free flour tortillas in a toaster oven,
> spread on the lentil mixture then top with the frissee mixture.
>
> Steve

that sounds fabulous, definitely going to try it soon.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Steve Pope wrote:

> This one came out above average.
>
> Chop half of a large head of frissee, one carrot, and one destringed
> stalk of celery and toss in a salad bowl with olive oil, lime
> juice (I used some heritage lime variety but I neglected to note
> which one), sea salt and pepper.
>
> Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan, and sear 1/2 teaspoon
> each of powdered cumin and tumeric. Add one heaping cup of
> cooked orange lentils, and mash them around with a spoon.
> Orange lentils tend to retain a lot of water when cooked, so
> refry them long enough to drive most of it out. Add enough
> shaved nutmeg to be noticed. Mix in 2/3 cup of cooked cauliflower
> which has been chopped rather small.
>
> Puff two 10" trans-fat-free flour tortillas in a toaster oven,
> spread on the lentil mixture then top with the frissee mixture.

Good looking recipe, Steve. If only I could find frissee
that doesn't cost a fortune. Where do you get yours?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope

Reg > wrote:

>Good looking recipe, Steve. If only I could find frissee
>that doesn't cost a fortune. Where do you get yours?

I got an organic frissee at the Berkeley farmers market.
I think it was around $2 and was pretty good-sized.

I nearly forgot: I also put a very small squirt of habanero sauce
into the lentils.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

The phrase 'orange lentil" put me off....I was trying to envision
orange flavors combinedwith lentils. I've always heard of those
orange-colored lentils as 'red' lentils. when i put the citrus concept
out of my mind, this sounds great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope

Jude > wrote:

>The phrase 'orange lentil" put me off....I was trying to envision
>orange flavors combinedwith lentils. I've always heard of those
>orange-colored lentils as 'red' lentils. when i put the citrus concept
>out of my mind, this sounds great!

Yes, I wasn't quite sure of the exact term. They are closer
to orange in color than they are red or yellow.

Next time I'm at the store I'll see what they call them on the
bin.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope

Steve Pope > wrote:

>Jude > wrote:

>>I've always heard of those
>>orange-colored lentils as 'red' lentils

>Yes, I wasn't quite sure of the exact term. They are closer
>to orange in color than they are red or yellow.
>Next time I'm at the store I'll see what they call them on the
>bin.

Well the bin at the grocery store says "red lentils". You're
right, my mistake. Thanks.

Steve