Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Default Braised pork chops revisited (was: shoe leather)

So, after several weeks of colds, flu, deadlines, etc., I got back into
the kitchen and read all the helpful suggestions for retooling my James
Beard braised pork chop recipe. Then I experimented.

In short, this time, instead of browning the chops (thick, boneless
loin) and then shoving them in the oven at 325 for almost an hour with
some liquid and covering them, I browned them in the pan and then added
some liquid to the pan and slapped the cover on. Then I reduced the
heat to very low and stuck a thermometer in the middle of the thickest
one. When it reached 140 (about 20 minutes later), I cut the heat,
reduced the sauce, and... voila!

Tender, toothsome chops.

Thanks so much. My pork chops have been saved!

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 12 Dec 2005 18:08:35 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
> wrote:

> So, after several weeks of colds, flu, deadlines, etc., I got back into
> the kitchen and read all the helpful suggestions for retooling my James
> Beard braised pork chop recipe. Then I experimented.

I'm so glad you're feeling better!

> In short, this time, instead of browning the chops (thick, boneless
> loin) and then shoving them in the oven at 325 for almost an hour with
> some liquid and covering them, I browned them in the pan and then added
> some liquid to the pan and slapped the cover on. Then I reduced the
> heat to very low and stuck a thermometer in the middle of the thickest
> one. When it reached 140 (about 20 minutes later), I cut the heat,
> reduced the sauce, and... voila!

I make mine the same way, but I use sauerkraut in its juice instead of
water.

> Tender, toothsome chops.

Yup! I'm gald they worked out for you, Karen!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nexis

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On 12 Dec 2005 18:08:35 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
> > wrote:
>
>> So, after several weeks of colds, flu, deadlines, etc., I got back into
>> the kitchen and read all the helpful suggestions for retooling my James
>> Beard braised pork chop recipe. Then I experimented.

> I'm so glad you're feeling better!
>
>> In short, this time, instead of browning the chops (thick, boneless
>> loin) and then shoving them in the oven at 325 for almost an hour with
>> some liquid and covering them, I browned them in the pan and then added
>> some liquid to the pan and slapped the cover on. Then I reduced the
>> heat to very low and stuck a thermometer in the middle of the thickest
>> one. When it reached 140 (about 20 minutes later), I cut the heat,
>> reduced the sauce, and... voila!

> I make mine the same way, but I use sauerkraut in its juice instead of
> water.

Talk about comfort food! My mom used to make chops & kraut often in the
winter. It's one of those foods that say "home" to me.

kimberly

>> Tender, toothsome chops.

> Yup! I'm gald they worked out for you, Karen!
>
> Carol
> --
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Nexis" > wrote in message
snip
> Talk about comfort food! My mom used to make chops & kraut often in the
> winter. It's one of those foods that say "home" to me.
>

> kimberly

Pork country ribs pushed down into kraut seasoned with a little brown sugar,
s&p and chunks of apple or applesauce and done low and slow in the oven for
a couple of hours is the best. I get requests for this meal lots of times
during the winter.
Janet