Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

Default Frozen rutabaga

I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now -- that
used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The waxed
rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen in the
last 15 years.

I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
anywhere?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
> that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
> waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen
> in the last 15 years.
>
> I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
> anywhere?
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since I have to
peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>
>> I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
>> that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
>> waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen
>> in the last 15 years.
>>
>> I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
>> anywhere?
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since I have
> peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly. When I
was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted most of the
winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots. In the fridge if
they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Gabby wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?
>>

>>> I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who
>>> now -- that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this
>>> product before. The waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they
>>> are the only ones I've seen in the last 15 years.
>>>
>>> I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen
>>> this anywhere? Thanks, Dee Dee

>> Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since
>> I have to peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

> All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly.
> When I was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted
> most of the winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots.
> In the fridge if they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.
>
> Gabby

I suppose if you boiled or roasted it whole you wouldn't have to remove
the wax first -- as long as someone else was gonna clean up the kitchen ;-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>> On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>> Randall?

>>> Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since
>>> I have to peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

>> All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly.
>> When I was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted
>> most of the winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots.
>> In the fridge if they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.
>>
>> Gabby
>>

> I suppose if you boiled or roasted it whole you wouldn't have to remove
> the wax first -- as long as someone else was gonna clean up the kitchen
> ;-)

LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers tender
enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in 2" cubes it
can take 30-40 min.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
>that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
>waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen in
>the last 15 years.
>
> I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
> anywhere?
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Rutabagas HAVE to be waxed if they're going to be stored more than a few
weeks. Otherwise they'll begin to lost moisture and you wouldn't buy them.
You don't buy them anyway, but I'm just sayin'....not for nuthin....ya
know....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>
>>> On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>> Randall?

>>> Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since
>>> I have to peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

>> All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly.
>> When I was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted
>> most of the winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots.
>> In the fridge if they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.
>>
>> Gabby
>>

> I suppose if you boiled or roasted it whole you wouldn't have to remove
> the wax first -- as long as someone else was gonna clean up the kitchen
> ;-)
>
> Bob

Warn your dinner victims before you try this idea, OK? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> Gabby wrote:

>>> All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly.
>>> When I was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted
>>> most of the winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots.
>>> In the fridge if they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.
>>>
>>> Gabby
>>>

>> I suppose if you boiled or roasted it whole you wouldn't have to remove
>> the wax first -- as long as someone else was gonna clean up the kitchen
>> ;-)

> LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers
> tender enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in 2"
> cubes it can take 30-40 min.
>
> Gabby

30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything with
them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "Gabby" > wrote in message

>> LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers
>> tender enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in
>> 2" cubes it can take 30-40 min.
>>
>> Gabby
>>

> 30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything with
> them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

Usually, yes. Or rather I have little time between getting home from work
and having supper on the table so we can all eat before son goes to work and
hubby and I go to our various meetings.
But, for the record, the wait is worth it. ;o)

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Gabby" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Gabby" > wrote in message

>>> LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers
>>> tender enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in
>>> 2" cubes it can take 30-40 min.
>>>
>>> Gabby
>>>

>> 30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything
>> with them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

> Usually, yes. Or rather I have little time between getting home from work
> and having supper on the table so we can all eat before son goes to work
> and hubby and I go to our various meetings.
> But, for the record, the wait is worth it. ;o)
>
> Gabby

Schedule a meeting with your steamer once a month. Steam lots of stuff, eat
some right away, freeze the rest. If it gets a bit dehydrated in the
freezer, that's why Q, the creator invented butter.