Frozen rutabaga

Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Frozen rutabaga

I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now -- that
used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The waxed
rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen in the
last 15 years.

I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
anywhere?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen
in the last 15 years.

I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
anywhere?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since I have to
peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Sun 04 Dec 2005 01:34:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen
in the last 15 years.

I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
anywhere?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Mostly we get the waxed ones here. It's no big deal, really, since I have
peel them anyway and the comes away with the peel.

All the wax does is keep them from drying out and getting wrinkly. When I
was growing up we had a dirt cellar so the rutabagas lasted most of the
winter down there - as did the potatoes and the carrots. In the fridge if
they're not waxed they last only a few weeks.

Gabby

Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Gabby wrote:
[...]

I suppose if you boiled or roasted it whole you wouldn't have to remove
the wax first -- as long as someone else was gonna clean up the kitchen ;-)

Bob
Old 04-12-2005, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Gabby wrote:
[...]

;-)

LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers tender
enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in 2" cubes it
can take 30-40 min.

Gabby

Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Dee Randall" wrote in message
I was watching a food channel host/hostess -- Can't remember who now --
that used frozen rutabagas. I have never seen this product before. The
waxed rutabagas don't appeal to me, but they are the only ones I've seen in
the last 15 years.

I googled it, but didn't gain much knowledge. Has anyone seen this
anywhere?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Rutabagas HAVE to be waxed if they're going to be stored more than a few
weeks. Otherwise they'll begin to lost moisture and you wouldn't buy them.
You don't buy them anyway, but I'm just sayin'....not for nuthin....ya
know....

Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Gabby wrote:
[...]

Warn your dinner victims before you try this idea, OK? :-)

Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Gabby" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Gabby wrote:
[...]

30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything with
them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Gabby" wrote in message

LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers
tender enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in
2" cubes it can take 30-40 min.

Gabby

30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything with
them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

Usually, yes. Or rather I have little time between getting home from work
and having supper on the table so we can all eat before son goes to work and
hubby and I go to our various meetings.
But, for the record, the wait is worth it. ;o)

Gabby

Old 05-12-2005, 10:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Gabby" wrote in message

LOL. I'd hate to see how long it takes to make one of those suckers
tender enough to mash when cooked whole. At this time of year, even in
2" cubes it can take 30-40 min.

Gabby

30-40 minutes is too much, during which you don't need to do anything
with them? What's up with that? You got someplace you gotta be?

Usually, yes. Or rather I have little time between getting home from work
and having supper on the table so we can all eat before son goes to work
and hubby and I go to our various meetings.
But, for the record, the wait is worth it. ;o)

Gabby

Schedule a meeting with your steamer once a month. Steam lots of stuff, eat
some right away, freeze the rest. If it gets a bit dehydrated in the
freezer, that's why Q, the creator invented butter.

Cooking a Frozen Turkey Tim Recipes 0 21-08-2005 02:47 PM
Frozen Vegetables in the NY Times Leila General Cooking 25 17-02-2005 08:06 PM
Low Fat Shakes & Smoothies (10 ) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 20-06-2004 01:06 AM
Frozen Turkey Bob General Cooking 4 19-04-2004 03:13 PM
Frozen Turkey zxcvbob Recipes (moderated) 0 19-04-2004 03:33 AM