Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goro

Default Any Omu-rice recipes?

I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
ketchup, ...?

thx

-goro-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Goro wrote:
> I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
> Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
> straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
> ketchup, ...?

Wow, this is a blast from the past. I don't know what they do nowadays
but in 1969 in Fukuoka, Japan, at the tiny restaurant where we G.I.'s
always seemed to wind up very late in the morning, the rice included
finely minced onion, chicken, and green pepper with a little ketchup
mixed in. I don't know what other seasonings but if there was any soy
sauce it was only a tiny amount. The omelet/wrapper was, I'm pretty
sure, thinned slightly with water or broth or milk, and of course a
good deal of ketchup decorated the outside. It was a great late night
snack. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Skim

aem wrote:
> Goro wrote:
>
>>I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
>>Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
>>straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
>>ketchup, ...?

> Wow, this is a blast from the past. I don't know what they do nowadays
> but in 1969 in Fukuoka, Japan, at the tiny restaurant where we G.I.'s
> always seemed to wind up very late in the morning, the rice included
> finely minced onion, chicken, and green pepper with a little ketchup
> mixed in. I don't know what other seasonings but if there was any soy
> sauce it was only a tiny amount. The omelet/wrapper was, I'm pretty
> sure, thinned slightly with water or broth or milk, and of course a
> good deal of ketchup decorated the outside. It was a great late night
> snack. -aem

This is a blast from the past for me, too. I remember my mom making this
for us when we were really young. She added sauteed onions, carrots,
peas, salt and pepper to the rice. Recently, I've tried it with
mushrooms and it ain't bad.

I remember cubed ham or Spam but I don't never have them on hand so I
substitute it with whatever meats are in my fridge. Right now, that'd
be chicken sausage with apples and gouda cheese. Yum...

I think my mom thinned the egg with water but I don't thin it. Just a
couple of beaten eggs fried into a pancake-like shape.

Spoon the rice mixture into a bowl, top it with the fried egg, and
slather on the ketchup. Adding a little Sriracha hot chili sauce gives a
nice kick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Goro wrote:
> I just watched LUNCH QUEEN and now I have an Jones-ing for some
> Omurice. Anyone have a good recipe for it? I assume it's fairly
> straightforward, mostly wonderign what goes in with the rice? Chicken,
> ketchup, ...?

Got interested and searched a bunch of sites. This is the best recipe
version I found. From another version I got the idea that a tiny bit
of worcestershire sauce is a good addition to the rice. -aem
http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nippon...appetit01.html