Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default TV Dinner Question

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I have a huge dilema next week. On top of finals, the new kitten is
> not feeling well. I want to do a small pork roast and a small pot
> roast tomorrow but I'd like to make TV like dinners with the
> leftovers and freeze them for next week. There will be nothing fancy.
> Just mashed, carrots and maybe some grilled veggies. Has anyone ever
> done this or should I just buy them from the supermarket?
>
> Michael <- thinking he knows what will be in them if he makes them

Sure you can. I think Gladware (or similar) sells divided containers you
can use to freeze then nuke the meals. I know you can buy Rubbermaid
divided "plates" with lids for this type of storage; I have several of
those. Then you could just toss one in the fridge to thaw during the day
and nuke it in the evening.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> I have a huge dilema next week. On top of finals, the new kitten is
>>> not feeling well. I want to do a small pork roast and a small pot
>>> roast tomorrow but I'd like to make TV like dinners with the
>>> leftovers and freeze them for next week. There will be nothing
>>> fancy. Just mashed, carrots and maybe some grilled veggies. Has
>>> anyone ever done this or should I just buy them from the
>>> supermarket?
>>>
>>> Michael <- thinking he knows what will be in them if he makes them

>> Sure you can. I think Gladware (or similar) sells divided
>> containers you can use to freeze then nuke the meals. I know you
>> can buy Rubbermaid divided "plates" with lids for this type of
>> storage; I have several of those. Then you could just toss one in
>> the fridge to thaw during the day and nuke it in the evening.
>>
>> Jill

> Well, the pork roast is in the oven and when it's finished, in goes
> the chuck roast. Everyone's ideas are great and they are ideas I use
> all the time. I was kinda' looking for plain old TV dinners, like
> the frozen ones you can buy. As Barb pointed out, I can just leave
> the goodies in the fridge all week. However, I'm leaving Saturday
> and that'll leave the S.O. defenseless
>
> Michael

What, he can't take a container out of the freezer and put it in the fridge
to thaw? For shame! As someone else asked, where would you get the little
trays they sell them in? But okay, can he handle nuking at 50% power while
frozen for say, oh 6 minutes, then finish off at high power until thoroughly
warmed?

Jill