Chicken turned green

Old 02-12-2005, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Chicken turned green

We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.
Ben

Old 02-12-2005, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Ben wrote:
We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.
Ben

Sounds unlikely to me. Never heard that the place "between the bone
and the meat" had any special properties. I hope he refunded your
money. You say you found this when carving the rest after having your
meal. How much later? -aem

Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Ben wrote:
We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.
Ben

Somebody here asked a v. similar question a year or so ago. So, yes,
someone somewhere has had a similar experience, though from memory it
was unusual when last asked about. If you google on past messages you
might find something.

RobtE
Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

One time on Usenet, "Ben" said:

We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.

Someone had this same problem last summer:

http://tinyurl.com/8ln7q

OR

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
cooking/browse_frm/thread/f5c19453e443d25b/

HTH!

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 02-12-2005, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"S'mee" wrote in message
One time on Usenet, "Ben" said:

We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted
it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that
meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was
also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green
meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.

Someone had this same problem last summer:

I see that the victim of that incident e-mailed Purdue. There seems to be a
trend away from picking up the telephone these days, but that's what he
should have done.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"aem" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ben wrote:
[...]

We found it about an hour later. We fed the green bits and the carcase to a
flock of sea gulls that were sitting on a grassy area. Strange when I passed
the place this week they took to the air and followed us swooping around.
Were they complaining or askin' for more.
Ben.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:43 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"S'mee" wrote in message
One time on Usenet, "Ben" said:

[...]

Yes, that sounds like our chicken. I had been difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Ben wrote:
[snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Old 03-12-2005, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

Ben wrote:
[snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Ditto here!
I love rabbit!
--
Om.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 2 Dec 2005 11:34:22 -0800, "aem" wrote:

Ben wrote:
We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.
Ben

Sounds unlikely to me. Never heard that the place "between the bone
and the meat" had any special properties. I hope he refunded your
money. You say you found this when carving the rest after having your
meal. How much later? -aem

What kinda sandwiches ya got?

I got green ones and I got brown ones.

What's the green ones?

Either very new cheese or very old meat.

I'll take a brown one.

modom
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
"aem" wrote:
Ben wrote:
[snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Ditto here!
I love rabbit!

I remember finding supermarket rabbit in Wegman's when I lived in the
Finger Lakes Region. They carried it in the frozen foods, Kosher foods
section. I found it in Brockport, Greece, Rochester and Brighton
Weggie's stores. No fresh rabbits to be found anywhere, however.

Couldn't say if Wegman's in that area still carries it or not.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article
.com,
"aem" wrote:

Ben wrote:
[snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a
heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Ditto here!
I love rabbit!
--
Om.

Not me! I find it stringy. I even raised rabbits as a test
of our skills if "something" drastic ever happened and we
had to provide our own food source. That may have
contributed to my lack of desire to eat them

MoM

Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

aem wrote:
Ben wrote:
[snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

I used to be able to find Pell-Freeze (I think that's the brand) frozen cut
up rabbit. Haven't seen it in years. I guess a lot of people can't stomach
the idea but it really is delicious (and yes, it taste like - or better
than - chicken!)

Jill

Old 05-12-2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Maybe green muscle disease?

http://www.ansci.wisc.edu/facstaff/F...aus/green1.htm

This shows an uncooked chicken.

Dave S

Some Rub Recipes Rich Barbecue 3 07-06-2005 02:25 PM
Waldorf Chicken Salad (3) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 01-07-2004 01:38 PM
Chicken (3) Collection Chef2Chef Recipe Club Recipes (moderated) 0 24-05-2004 10:41 AM
Chicken Korma (4) Collection Steven Grace Recipes (moderated) 0 10-01-2004 03:43 PM
How to cook chicken better? - 6 Chicken Recipes Nicholas Zhou Sourdough 0 18-11-2003 12:34 AM