Posted to rec.food.cooking
Buzinkum

Default Slice, serve, lick thumb, slice, serve...

Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.

I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
with a dim-witted sort of glee.

How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Buzinkum wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>
> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>
> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

It's an extremly common habit, in fact I mentioned exactly that in one
of my earlier posts today. Save eating your own cooking exclusively
there really is nothing to be done about this disgusting practice of
licking ones fingers while serving food, these creeps are truly
completely oblivious. Along with the finger lickers are those who have
a compulsive need to constantly run their fingers through their hair,
those who need to scratch various and sundry body parts (including but
not limited to armpits, crotches, noses, and of course the ear wax
pickers, especially gross are those who pick and flick their ear wax
all about and even into their mouth), and I won't even mention the nose
pickers, those are legion.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Buzinkum wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>
> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>
> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

Oh, wow, can I relate to this! A lot of people who have never cooked
commerically don't even realize they are doing it. With friends and
family, I just try to ignore it. That seems better to me than saying,
"Excuse me, could I have a piece of cake that you *haven't* slobbered all
over?" Usually, I skip dessert.

One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
*can* get the candles to stay out.

But the very, very worst for me are those with the motto, "love me, love
my dog". I hate to be somewhere and have the person sitting in the chair
holding the family pet and then say, "I made some cookies",
only to bypass the sink and go straight for the cookies with those bare,
unwashed hands.

A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Buzinkum wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>
> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>
> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

"Um, no thanks. I've changed my mind."

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> Oh, wow, can I relate to this! A lot of people who have never cooked
> commerically don't even realize they are doing it. With friends and
> family, I just try to ignore it. That seems better to me than saying,
> "Excuse me, could I have a piece of cake that you *haven't* slobbered all
> over?" Usually, I skip dessert.
>
> One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
> candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
> he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
> yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
> most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
> candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
> *can* get the candles to stay out.

Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
etiquette.

> But the very, very worst for me are those with the motto, "love me, love
> my dog". I hate to be somewhere and have the person sitting in the chair
> holding the family pet and then say, "I made some cookies",
> only to bypass the sink and go straight for the cookies with those bare,
> unwashed hands.
>
> A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
> little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
> the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
> washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
> the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
> maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
> it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
> I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
> voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
> seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
>
> Elaine, too

Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
place my baby in it.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> Oh, wow, can I relate to this! A lot of people who have never cooked
> commerically don't even realize they are doing it. With friends and
> family, I just try to ignore it. That seems better to me than saying,
> "Excuse me, could I have a piece of cake that you *haven't* slobbered all
> over?" Usually, I skip dessert.
>
> One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
> candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
> he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
> yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
> most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
> candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
> *can* get the candles to stay out.

Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
etiquette.

> But the very, very worst for me are those with the motto, "love me, love
> my dog". I hate to be somewhere and have the person sitting in the chair
> holding the family pet and then say, "I made some cookies",
> only to bypass the sink and go straight for the cookies with those bare,
> unwashed hands.
>
> A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
> little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
> the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
> washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
> the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
> maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
> it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
> I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
> voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
> seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
>
> Elaine, too

Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
place my baby in it.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 25 Nov 2005, -L. wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> >
> > One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
> > candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
> > he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
> > yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
> > most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
> > candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
> > *can* get the candles to stay out.

> Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
> would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
> silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
> These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
> think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
> etiquette.

I know what you mean. I always "pick and choose" at any communal
gathering. I watch people getting their dishes ready. It's not hard to
tell the ones that take care and follow the basic rules.

I see people having bake sales in front of the grocery store and places
and there is *no way* I'd buy any thing today. When I was a kid, we always
had bake sales, but we were dumber then.

> > A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
> > little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
> > the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
> > washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
> > the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
> > maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
> > it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
> > I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
> > voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
> > seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
> antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
> place my baby in it.
>
> -L.

I think that is a great idea. I carry those wipes individually wrapped in
my purse all the time. They are so handy and I use a lot of them.

In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have never
yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked on. I
drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
wipe. Makes me feel better.

But the very dirtiest thing is money. boo, hiss. We all love money and
think of it as such a good thing that we don't think about where it has
been. Every time a vendor starts to hand me change, I have the vision of
pulling out a can of disinfectant and spraying her and the money before I
take it. I guess that comes from all those years in business when I saw
where that money was coming from. boowaaaah

I think I'll go wash my hands now... <g>

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

"Elaine Parrish" > wrote in message

> In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
> section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have
> never
> yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked
> on. I
> drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
> dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
> wipe. Makes me feel better.

The supermarkets in this area always have plastic bags (and sometimes
wipes) available in the meat dept. I always use 'em.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "MareCat" > said:
> "Elaine Parrish" > wrote in message
> >
> > In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
> > section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have
> > never
> > yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked
> > on. I
> > drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
> > dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
> > wipe. Makes me feel better.

> The supermarkets in this area always have plastic bags (and sometimes
> wipes) available in the meat dept. I always use 'em.

Back when I was pregnant with Buddy (who's 8) and was very concerned
about getting sick, I developed the following habit: before I start
touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
hands never touch the raw meat juices...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> I think that is a great idea. I carry those wipes individually wrapped in
> my purse all the time. They are so handy and I use a lot of them.
>
> In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
> section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have never
> yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked on. I
> drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
> dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
> wipe. Makes me feel better.

In one of the chains here, they supply plastic meat bags, and also
Purell and paper towels for your hands. When I used to shop with my
infant son, I was so thankful for that, as I often had to pick him up
to comfort him, etc.

Nothing will turn me off faster from a grocery store than the smell of
stinking blood in the meat bins, soured milk in the dairy section or
the nasty smell of spoiling fish. Ick. The ones that get my repeat
business are the stores where the dairy and meat bins are clean and
smell clean. Unfortunately this takes a little more work and some
stores simply don't care.

Another thing I do...When picking mushrooms from the produce bins by
hand is I take a plastic bag, turn it inside out and use it as a glove.
If anyone thinks this is foolish, smell your hands after you have dug
through the mushroom bin. You will be subjected to the lovely odor of
horse shit.

> But the very dirtiest thing is money. boo, hiss. We all love money and
> think of it as such a good thing that we don't think about where it has
> been. Every time a vendor starts to hand me change, I have the vision of
> pulling out a can of disinfectant and spraying her and the money before I
> take it. I guess that comes from all those years in business when I saw
> where that money was coming from. boowaaaah

DH always requests new bills at the bank for just this reason. I get
all of his dirty money.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "-L." > said:

<snip>

> Nothing will turn me off faster from a grocery store than the smell of
> stinking blood in the meat bins, soured milk in the dairy section or
> the nasty smell of spoiling fish. Ick. The ones that get my repeat
> business are the stores where the dairy and meat bins are clean and
> smell clean. Unfortunately this takes a little more work and some
> stores simply don't care.

I agree! The closest stupidmarket to my home is just as you described.
We rarely shop there and never for raw foods.

> Another thing I do...When picking mushrooms from the produce bins by
> hand is I take a plastic bag, turn it inside out and use it as a glove.

I do that with meat, never thought about mushrooms.

> If anyone thinks this is foolish, smell your hands after you have dug
> through the mushroom bin. You will be subjected to the lovely odor of
> horse shit.

But it's sterile horse shit... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jessica V.

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On 25 Nov 2005, -L. wrote:
>

> > Elaine Parrish wrote:
> > >
> > > One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
> > > candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
> > > he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
> > > yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
> > > most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
> > > candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
> > > *can* get the candles to stay out.

> > Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
> > would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
> > silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
> > These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
> > think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
> > etiquette.
> >

> I know what you mean. I always "pick and choose" at any communal
> gathering. I watch people getting their dishes ready. It's not hard to
> tell the ones that take care and follow the basic rules.
>
> I see people having bake sales in front of the grocery store and places
> and there is *no way* I'd buy any thing today. When I was a kid, we always
> had bake sales, but we were dumber then.
>

> > > A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
> > > little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
> > > the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
> > > washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
> > > the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
> > > maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
> > > it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
> > > I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
> > > voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
> > > seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
> > >
> > > Elaine, too

> > Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
> > antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
> > place my baby in it.
> >
> > -L.

> I think that is a great idea. I carry those wipes individually wrapped in
> my purse all the time. They are so handy and I use a lot of them.
>
> In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
> section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have never
> yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked on. I
> drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
> dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
> wipe. Makes me feel better.

Me too. Love the looks I get when I tell the baggers to bag chicken
seperately.

> But the very dirtiest thing is money. boo, hiss. We all love money and
> think of it as such a good thing that we don't think about where it has
> been. Every time a vendor starts to hand me change, I have the vision of
> pulling out a can of disinfectant and spraying her and the money before I
> take it. I guess that comes from all those years in business when I saw
> where that money was coming from. boowaaaah

Working my my teen years in a coffee shop, and just out of school in a
bookstore never prepared me for how I'd see cash handled when I worked
for a family member in my early twenties. Of a large product line one
thing we sold were safes, the vast majority of sales were commercial
and payment came in the form of a nice little check, then there were
the people who wanted something to keep house money, auto titles,
jewelry and firearms locked up in their homes, that was a 50/50 shot on
cash or check. I don't wince when someone takes cash out of their
wallet. However, a very small percentage were what screamed to me to
be drug dealers, they were easy to spot usually by how they dressed and
the *cool* walk. I'd been warned by the office manager to put on the
white gloves for these guys under the guise that I didn't want to leave
fingerprints on the stainless steel dials, female fingerprints discolor
stainless and are a real PITA to clean off. The real reason for the
gloves though was that these types would always pay in cash and 9 times
out of 10 would pull that wad of cash out from their undies. <GAG>

Jessica

> I think I'll go wash my hands now... <g>
>
> Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Jessica V." > wrote

> wallet. However, a very small percentage were what screamed to me to
> be drug dealers, they were easy to spot usually by how they dressed and
> the *cool* walk. I'd been warned by the office manager to put on the
> white gloves for these guys under the guise that I didn't want to leave
> fingerprints on the stainless steel dials, female fingerprints discolor
> stainless and are a real PITA to clean off. The real reason for the
> gloves though was that these types would always pay in cash and 9 times
> out of 10 would pull that wad of cash out from their undies. <GAG>

Heh, that's funny. Yuck. I was a bank teller for a couple of years, man
you learned to wash your hands in that job. Filthy. The worst was the
pizza guy, people would hide when he came in. The money, every single
bill, was covered with cornmeal. Counting that money was a true torture
for us, I can hear the sound of it to this day. Rest of the day, dirty
money
because that cornmeal got everywhere. Gritty money.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Jessica V. wrote:
> Elaine Parrish wrote:

>>>Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
>>>would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
>>>silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
>>>These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
>>>think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
>>>etiquette.
>>>

>>I know what you mean. I always "pick and choose" at any communal
>>gathering. I watch people getting their dishes ready. It's not hard to
>>tell the ones that take care and follow the basic rules.
>>
>>I see people having bake sales in front of the grocery store and places
>>and there is *no way* I'd buy any thing today. When I was a kid, we always
>>had bake sales, but we were dumber then.

>>>Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
>>>antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
>>>place my baby in it.
>>>
>>>-L.

>>I think that is a great idea. I carry those wipes individually wrapped in
>>my purse all the time. They are so handy and I use a lot of them.
>>
>>In the grocery store, I always pull a few plastic bags in the produce
>>section to put the meat that I buy in - especially chicken. I have never
>>yet bought any chicken product that wasn't "leaking" or been leaked on. I
>>drop my chicken down in the bags and I don't have to worry about them
>>dripping all over everything. Then I wash my hands with my little
>>wipe. Makes me feel better.
>>

> Me too. Love the looks I get when I tell the baggers to bag chicken
> seperately.

At the store that I buy much of my fresh meat at, the checkers will bag
the chicken separate, no problem, but always give me a funny look when i
ask for the other meats separate, too.

>>But the very dirtiest thing is money. boo, hiss. We all love money and
>>think of it as such a good thing that we don't think about where it has
>>been. Every time a vendor starts to hand me change, I have the vision of
>>pulling out a can of disinfectant and spraying her and the money before I
>>take it. I guess that comes from all those years in business when I saw
>>where that money was coming from. boowaaaah

> Working my my teen years in a coffee shop, and just out of school in a
> bookstore never prepared me for how I'd see cash handled when I worked
> for a family member in my early twenties. Of a large product line one
> thing we sold were safes, the vast majority of sales were commercial
> and payment came in the form of a nice little check, then there were
> the people who wanted something to keep house money, auto titles,
> jewelry and firearms locked up in their homes, that was a 50/50 shot on
> cash or check. I don't wince when someone takes cash out of their
> wallet. However, a very small percentage were what screamed to me to
> be drug dealers, they were easy to spot usually by how they dressed and
> the *cool* walk. I'd been warned by the office manager to put on the
> white gloves for these guys under the guise that I didn't want to leave
> fingerprints on the stainless steel dials, female fingerprints discolor
> stainless and are a real PITA to clean off. The real reason for the
> gloves though was that these types would always pay in cash and 9 times
> out of 10 would pull that wad of cash out from their undies. <GAG>
>
> Jessica

When I worked as a cashier, I would make sure to wash my hands every
hour or so, and the water would still run gray from my hands.
(When I worked in the cash office, after counting all the drawers, the
safe, and the deposit for the day, my fingertips would be almost black.)
yeech!

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Buzinkum > wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>
> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>
> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

"How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 06:40:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article >,
> Buzinkum > wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
>> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
>> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
>> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
>> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>>
>> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
>> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
>> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>>
>> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
>> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
>> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

> "How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"

We've always used a cake server along with the knife.

--
Wayne Boatwright *ż*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 25 Nov 2005 06:40:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
> Jammin'?
>
>> In article >,
>> Buzinkum > wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
>>> there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
>>> burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
>>> their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
>>> the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
>>>
>>> I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
>>> but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
>>> with a dim-witted sort of glee.
>>>
>>> How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
>>> first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
>>> licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

>> "How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"

> We've always used a cake server along with the knife.

pffft I just serve from the kitchen, then I can slobber all over everything,
even lick the knife clean between pieces if i want

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 06:58:52p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 25 Nov 2005 06:40:59p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
>> Jammin'?

>>> "How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"

>> We've always used a cake server along with the knife.
>>

> pffft I just serve from the kitchen, then I can slobber all over
> everything, even lick the knife clean between pieces if i want

Hehehe! Reminds me of one of my cousins who, as a child, would just grab a
fistful of cake and eat it. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *ż*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jen

> touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
> hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
> I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
> hands never touch the raw meat juices...

And some people *eat* raw meat!!! Yuk!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 10:40:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

>> touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>> hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>> I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>> hands never touch the raw meat juices...

> And some people *eat* raw meat!!! Yuk!!!

I can't stand handling raw meat with my bare hands when prepping in the
kitchen. I always wear surgical gloves.

--
Wayne Boatwright *ż*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Buzinkum > wrote:
>
> > Maybe it's just me, but why is it everywhere I go to eat a nice meal
> > there is a host who obliviously serves up pie or cake by slicing,
> > burying their fingers in the topping to move the piece, then sucking on
> > their fingers and serving up the next slice? Seems to be common among
> > the over-50 crowd, of which I am not.
> >
> > I know chefs in restaurants taste and touch food as a matter of course,
> > but at least they don't generally do it in plain sight of their guests
> > with a dim-witted sort of glee.
> >
> > How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> > first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> > licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

> "How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

Er, uh, Barb, uh, I think "of cake" might sound good here. <vbg>

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Jen wrote:
>>touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>>hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>>I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>>hands never touch the raw meat juices...

> And some people *eat* raw meat!!! Yuk!!!

Hasn't killed me yet. The again, my stomach is made of steel, so...

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article
Elaine Parrish > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)

> > > How do you politely tell someone, especially a relative or in-law, to
> > > first not bury their fingers in your frosting, and then second stop
> > > licking their damn fingers before they touch and serve your slice?

> > "How about if you keep your fingers out of my piece. Thanks,"
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
> >

> Er, uh, Barb, uh, I think "of cake" might sound good here. <vbg>
>
> Elaine, too

Aw, jeez, Elaine! Never even. , , ,
I'm usually on top of those, too. . . .
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Jen" > wrote in message
>> touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>> hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>> I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>> hands never touch the raw meat juices...

> And some people *eat* raw meat!!! Yuk!!!

When putting items on the belt while checking out, particularly at Costco or
BJ's when I've bought a garment, I put items 'around' the wet spot on the
belt. It doesn't work, because all the items come smashing thru in one big
heap. I imagine this wet spot usually is some bloody meat of some sort on
the items I've bought -- YUK, 2.

Another peeve is when the clerk is bagging something, to get the plastic
bags apart, he/she will put their fingers in their mouths to moisten in
order to open the bag. Can you imagine what shape their mouth is in after 8
hours of doing this?

Once when invited to the home of a co-worker's, her husband cut the pie with
a long serrated knife. He cut the whole pie with it. Each piece he cut would
have the adhered pie on the knife. He would run his two fingers along/down
the blade to take off the leavin's, stick his fingers in his mouth to eat
the leavin's, place it on your plate using these fingers, then start on the
next slice. After pie, he showed my husband his picture album of nude
pictures of his wife -- I hope her body was more interesting than her face.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tony P.

In article . com>,
says...

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> > Oh, wow, can I relate to this! A lot of people who have never cooked
> > commerically don't even realize they are doing it. With friends and
> > family, I just try to ignore it. That seems better to me than saying,
> > "Excuse me, could I have a piece of cake that you *haven't* slobbered all
> > over?" Usually, I skip dessert.
> >
> > One that makes me nuts is birthday cake. Set the cake down, light the 400
> > candles, have the birthday boy or girl blow on it 3 or 4 times and when
> > he/she can't do the job, 2 or 3 other people step forward to help. Oh,
> > yeah, baby, give me a really big piece of that cake! This is always the
> > most fun when it is at the office. And, please, oh please, buy those
> > candles that won't blow out so everybody gets a chance to prove that they
> > *can* get the candles to stay out.

> Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
> would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
> silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
> These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
> think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
> etiquette.

This is where you're wrong. Scientists, particularly the competent ones
are the most slovenly you'd ever want to meet. Whether it's their mind
set that they shouldn't have to worry about social grace, or that
they're above it ala Leo Szilard.

> > But the very, very worst for me are those with the motto, "love me, love
> > my dog". I hate to be somewhere and have the person sitting in the chair
> > holding the family pet and then say, "I made some cookies",
> > only to bypass the sink and go straight for the cookies with those bare,
> > unwashed hands.
> >
> > A number of years ago, my SIL came for some holiday and brought her two
> > little lap dogs. I left her in the den, sitting on the floor playing with
> > the fur babies and went to the kitchen to check whatever I was cooking. I
> > washed my hands and then stirred the pot. About that time, she came around
> > the corner with an empty glass in her hand and headed straight for my ice
> > maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even realizing
> > it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She stopped,
> > I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more polite
> > voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs." It
> > seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
> antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
> place my baby in it.

I do wonder if we're doing a disservice to the youth of this country
when we attempt to sanitize EVERYTHING. You do need exposure to some
germs in order to develop and immune system.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> [...]

> > wallet. However, a very small percentage were what screamed to me to
> > be drug dealers, they were easy to spot usually by how they dressed and
> > the *cool* walk. I'd been warned by the office manager to put on the
> > white gloves for these guys under the guise that I didn't want to leave
> > fingerprints on the stainless steel dials, female fingerprints discolor
> > stainless and are a real PITA to clean off. The real reason for the
> > gloves though was that these types would always pay in cash and 9 times
> > out of 10 would pull that wad of cash out from their undies. <GAG>
> >
> > Jessica
> >

> When I worked as a cashier, I would make sure to wash my hands every
> hour or so, and the water would still run gray from my hands.
> (When I worked in the cash office, after counting all the drawers, the
> safe, and the deposit for the day, my fingertips would be almost black.)

Back in the day I was working at a local pharmacy owned by one of the
big chains. That particular store took utility payments and on the 1st
of the month I might handle $100K a day in cash.

One morning I woke up and was covered in these little pustules.
Impetigo. As soon as I told the doctor I handled large sums of money
that clinched the diagnosis.

So after that money was counted with gloves on. The latex actually
improved the grip on the money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 25 Nov 2005 10:40:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>
>>> touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>>> hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>>> I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>>> hands never touch the raw meat juices...

>> And some people *eat* raw meat!!! Yuk!!!

> I can't stand handling raw meat with my bare hands when prepping in the
> kitchen. I always wear surgical gloves.

This reminds me of a friend. She wanted me to teach her how to cook certain
things. So I had her in the kitchen and we had some beef on the cutting board
and I am trying to explain to her where certain cuts come from on the cow and
how you have to be aware of what certain muscles do in order to cook it
properly (well used muscles need low heat etc).

She freaked and kept insisting that meat came from trees and not from cows and
she refused to consider otherwise.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Fri 25 Nov 2005 10:40:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>>

>touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>hands never touch the raw meat juices...

I don't understand all these references to people touching meat in the
shops. Here you can't touch any fresh foods except veggies. Either
meat/fish/cheese etc are all prewrapped or touched only by the shop
assistant wearing gloves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"The Bubbo" > wrote

> She freaked and kept insisting that meat came from trees and not from cows
> and
> she refused to consider otherwise.

I take it back. *THIS* is the weirdest story I've heard in
a long time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Tony P." > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]

>> > maker bin ( in the days before ice-from-the-door). Without even
>> > realizing
>> > it, I called out, very urgently and loudly, I'm afraid, "NO!" She
>> > stopped,
>> > I crossed the kitchen quickly, took her glass, and said, in a more
>> > polite
>> > voice, "I'll get it for you, dear. You've been playing with the dogs."
>> > It
>> > seemed to take her a minute to understand what I was saying. boo, hiss.
>> >
>> > Elaine, too

>> Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
>> antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
>> place my baby in it.

> I do wonder if we're doing a disservice to the youth of this country
> when we attempt to sanitize EVERYTHING. You do need exposure to some
> germs in order to develop and immune system.

There are more people in the U.S. than the youth,and they don't need to be
exposed to sh--. Last night there was a piece on CNN where they went to
some particular establishments where the ice was examined and lots of the
places they examined had fecal matter in the ice. Now wonder where this
came from?
Santize everything? I've not seen it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "The Bubbo" > wrote
>
>> She freaked and kept insisting that meat came from trees and not from
>> cows and
>> she refused to consider otherwise.

> I take it back. *THIS* is the weirdest story I've heard in
> a long time.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Ophelia wrote:
>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 25 Nov 2005 10:40:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?
>>>

>>touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
>>hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
>>I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
>>hands never touch the raw meat juices...

> I don't understand all these references to people touching meat in the
> shops. Here you can't touch any fresh foods except veggies. Either
> meat/fish/cheese etc are all prewrapped or touched only by the shop
> assistant wearing gloves.

well, here, may stores have self-service meat cases where the meat is
put on foam trays and wrapped in plastic. With the "juicier" varieties,
sometiomes they leak .

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tony P.

In article >,
says...

> "Tony P." > wrote in message
> . ..
> > In article . com>,

says...

> >> Just nasty. When I worked, I never ate communal food at work. People
> >> would stand over the food trays and eat, despite the fact that plates,
> >> silverware and napkins were provided. We even had double-dippers.
> >> These were highly educated scientists, all world-travellers. You'd
> >> think they'd be a bit more in-tune with hygiene., not to mention
> >> etiquette.

> > This is where you're wrong. Scientists, particularly the competent ones
> > are the most slovenly you'd ever want to meet. Whether it's their mind
> > set that they shouldn't have to worry about social grace, or that
> > they're above it ala Leo Szilard.

> >> Thank you. And I took major shit in another thread for saying I use
> >> antibacterial wipes and a cart cover on the shopping cart before I
> >> place my baby in it.

> > I do wonder if we're doing a disservice to the youth of this country
> > when we attempt to sanitize EVERYTHING. You do need exposure to some
> > germs in order to develop and immune system.

> There are more people in the U.S. than the youth,and they don't need to be
> exposed to sh--. Last night there was a piece on CNN where they went to
> some particular establishments where the ice was examined and lots of the
> places they examined had fecal matter in the ice. Now wonder where this
> came from?
> Santize everything? I've not seen it.
> Dee Dee

Being that I've never seen a person grab the ice with their hand I'd
suspect water supply issues.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Ophelia" > said:

<snip -- I actually wrote the below>

> >touching any meat at the store, I put one of those plastic bags on my
> >hand like a glove. When I've picked through the packages and got what
> >I want, I turn the bag out over the meat and put it in the cart. My
> >hands never touch the raw meat juices...

> I don't understand all these references to people touching meat in the
> shops. Here you can't touch any fresh foods except veggies. Either
> meat/fish/cheese etc are all prewrapped or touched only by the shop
> assistant wearing gloves.

It's pretty much the same in the U.S., but the meat packages we get
here tend to be leaky, and I don't want to take the chance. Don't
get me wrong -- I don't mind touching raw meat or its juices, as
long as I can wash my hands well afterward; that's not convenient
in a grocery store... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Bugg

Tony P. wrote:

> Being that I've never seen a person grab the ice with their hand I'd
> suspect water supply issues.

But a lot of places will ignore the fact that staff -- who haven't washed
their filthy, just-wiped-their-butt-in-the-bathroom hands --- will handle
the ice scoop, then put the scoop into the ice bin for storage. Dirty,
filthy handle and all. That's the most frequent way the ice can become
contaminated.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Nancy Young wrote:

> "The Bubbo" > wrote
>
> > She freaked and kept insisting that meat came from trees and not from cows
> > and
> > she refused to consider otherwise.

> I take it back. *THIS* is the weirdest story I've heard in
> a long time.
>
> nancy

So right you are, Nancy! Besides, this woman doesn't need to ever be alone
in the kitchen with extreme heat, flamable liquids, and sharp knives. The
woman is a danger to herself and anyone who migh actually eat something
she cooked. geez-a-mighty! Where are the food police when you really need
them! <g>

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dee Dee wrote:

> When putting items on the belt while checking out, particularly at Costco
> or BJ's when I've bought a garment, I put items 'around' the wet spot on
> the belt. It doesn't work, because all the items come smashing thru in
> one big heap. I imagine this wet spot usually is some bloody meat of some
> sort on the items I've bought -- YUK, 2.

Are you trying to make me feel guilty about making my girlfriend sleep on
the wet spot?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:40:40 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>This reminds me of a friend. She wanted me to teach her how to cook certain
>things. So I had her in the kitchen and we had some beef on the cutting board
>and I am trying to explain to her where certain cuts come from on the cow and
>how you have to be aware of what certain muscles do in order to cook it
>properly (well used muscles need low heat etc).
>
>She freaked and kept insisting that meat came from trees and not from cows and
>she refused to consider otherwise.

Okay, that's just bizarre.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Tony P. wrote:
>
> > Being that I've never seen a person grab the ice with their hand I'd
> > suspect water supply issues.

> But a lot of places will ignore the fact that staff -- who haven't washed
> their filthy, just-wiped-their-butt-in-the-bathroom hands --- will handle
> the ice scoop, then put the scoop into the ice bin for storage. Dirty,
> filthy handle and all. That's the most frequent way the ice can become
> contaminated.
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

My point exactly which is why I control our exposure when I can. We
get plenty of exposure elsewhere.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
>> When putting items on the belt while checking out, particularly at Costco
>> or BJ's when I've bought a garment, I put items 'around' the wet spot on
>> the belt. It doesn't work, because all the items come smashing thru in
>> one big heap. I imagine this wet spot usually is some bloody meat of
>> some
>> sort on the items I've bought -- YUK, 2.

> Are you trying to make me feel guilty about making my girlfriend sleep on
> the wet spot?
>
> Bob

I think you might benefit from a re-test on one of them-thar Rorschach
tests, buddy. ((:>}
Dee Dee