Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Old 24-11-2005, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

--Lia

Old 24-11-2005, 04:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
answer?

--Lia

People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
refrigerators.

A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
contamination for consumption tomorrow.

If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better. It
will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they will be
reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air tight
container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you probly wont
even notice.

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very good.

---
JL

Old 24-11-2005, 04:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:
It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

--Lia

I think leaving it out would be fine, but refrigerating it wouldnt hurt
it either.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Old 24-11-2005, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

I don't think leaving either out will harm them, but I prefer to bake
mine early TG day so they're in prime shape. I dislike how the crust
gets soggy when leftover, or in the fridge.
Consider that the pies your grocer sells aren't chilled, right
Goomba
Old 24-11-2005, 05:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
wrote:

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

Thanks,
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 05:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote:

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a

'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the

cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would

that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
don't wnat to take any chances.

In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now summer
i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less necessary.
---
JL

Old 24-11-2005, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:38:53 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
wrote:

A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
don't wnat to take any chances.

Sorry
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 05:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 08:38:05p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Julia
Altshuler?

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

I don't refrigerate either pumpkin or fruit pies if they're baked just the
day before. I put them in the diningroom or another room that's a bit cooler
than the kitchen. They won't spoil and the crust will have a niceer texture.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 24-11-2005, 05:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

wrote:

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

Thanks,
Carol

No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the crumb
top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb top pie.
I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
never soggy.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 24-11-2005, 05:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 24 Nov 2005 05:54:30 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the crumb
top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb top pie.
I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

Thank you, Wayne.

Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
never soggy.

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 06:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

wrote:

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

Crumb toppings resist sogginess decently well if you've put enough
butter in them. The pie is sterilized, so any critters in the sour cream
have been well-killed. It'll be fine.

I made aan apple pour pie tonight. As I have a zillion times before.
Cameo apples, double crust, bit of corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves. And after pulling it out of the oven, pour a few tablespoons
heavy cream into the vents in the top crust. Leave it out to cool on the
counter. Eat it all tomorrow.

Pastorio
Old 24-11-2005, 06:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:05:17 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

Crumb toppings resist sogginess decently well if you've put enough
butter in them. The pie is sterilized, so any critters in the sour cream
have been well-killed. It'll be fine.

Thanks! I'd really like to take care of that the day before (we're
celebrating on Sunday).

I made aan apple pour pie tonight. As I have a zillion times before.
Cameo apples, double crust, bit of corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg,
cloves. And after pulling it out of the oven, pour a few tablespoons
heavy cream into the vents in the top crust. Leave it out to cool on the
counter. Eat it all tomorrow.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You can't go wrong with heavy cream!

Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie? We're on a very
strict budget, and those were the least expensive.

Thanks so much, Bob!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 07:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:
It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

--Lia

Refrigerate custard pies and cream pies. The rest you can leave out
(assuming you don't have a dog that steals pies)

I wouldn't even refrigerate the pumpkin pie.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 24-11-2005, 07:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie?

Yes.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 24-11-2005, 07:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:27:13 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
Are Haralson apples respectable for an apple pie?

Yes.

Best regards,
Bob

Thanks, Pookie!
Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.

Meat Pies (5) Collection Kathy Brooks Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 06:57 AM
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2005 04:55 AM
delux mince pies Lorraine Baking 0 15-09-2005 01:54 PM
Baked Fried Apple Pies (2) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2003 04:08 PM
Fried Sweet Potato Pies [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 24-10-2003 07:11 PM