Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Old 24-11-2005, 06:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
Julia Altshuler wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
answer?

--Lia

People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
refrigerators.

A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
contamination for consumption tomorrow.

If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better.
It will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they
will be reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air
tight container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you
probly wont even notice.

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
good.

---
JL

While antique hunting (not really hunting, perusing) my LLL and I saw a
number of "pie safes" that had tiny vented holes in the sides... yes this
was before refrigeration was common and pies seemed to do well and the vents
kept out flies but let the pies cool. I cannot say this was the best way to
store pies but it seemed to work for them in the 1800's/early 1900's.

Now what does that have to do with your apple pie? Does it have a top crust
that would sink down into the cooked apples? If so you probably want to
refrigerate it.

Darn, I need to go to bed now! Good luck with your pies.

Jill

Old 24-11-2005, 08:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

On 24 Nov 2005 05:54:30 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:27:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
in dis Dress?

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would
that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

No, not necessary, Carol. Don't listen to what anyone else tells you.
Your sour cream apple filling will not spoil overnight, nor will the
crumb top become soggy. Refrigeration will ruin the texture of a crumb
top pie. I make them frequently and never refrigerate.

Thank you, Wayne.

Soggy crust? Urp! A proper pie crust should be flaky and tender, but
never soggy.

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 24-11-2005, 08:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 24 Nov 2005 09:14:39 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

I have a very lovely pie crust recipe using sour cream (half of what I
bake has sour cream in it). Sometimes I do it right, sometimes I
don't. I just don't want to risk messing the crusts up when I'll be
so harried already. Here is the recipe for your perusal. It's
fabulous, simply fabulous.

Carol, close friend of the Pillsbury Dough Boy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Pie Crust

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pies-crusts

1/2 cup cold butter -- 1 stick
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sour cream

Place flour in a medium bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is the size
of small peas. Add egg yolk, salt, and sour cream. Stir with a fork
until pastry forms a ball (or use food processor).

Divide into two parts. Wrap in plastic and chill until stiff enough
to work with (approximately 45 minutes). When ready to use, roll
pastry thinly (about 1/8 inch)

If making a single crust pie, refrigerate or freeze one portion for
another pie. .

Yield:
"2 crusts"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 01:20:00a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

wrote:

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel
in dis Dress?

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more
people should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade
piecrust. :-)

I have a very lovely pie crust recipe using sour cream (half of what I
bake has sour cream in it). Sometimes I do it right, sometimes I
don't. I just don't want to risk messing the crusts up when I'll be
so harried already. Here is the recipe for your perusal. It's
fabulous, simply fabulous.

I'm lucky that I have a deft hand with pastry, been making it since I was a
kid, so I just sorta pump them out when required. :-) But this sour cream
pie crust recipe looks superb! If I hadn't baked all my pies yesterday,
I'd have made at least one with your recipe. Sour cream makes such a
tender crust. I probably won't bake another pie until Christmas, but I
saved this to use then. Thanks for sharing it with me! I hope you have a
wonderful day with your niece. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 24-11-2005, 01:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Joseph Littleshoes" wrote in message

If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very
good.

That sounds nice Joseph, I would like that please

Old 24-11-2005, 01:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Last night we put the pumpkin pie in the fridge and left the apple one
cooling on the counter loosely covered with plastic wrap. The apple pie
is what I call "double crusted" meaning that there's a second crust
covering the whole thing, not in a lattice or with a crumb topping.
(Our guests are bringing a peach pie with a crumb topping so it made
sense to do something different.) The top crust is quite high over the
apples, really lovely. Thanks to everyone who wrote.

--Lia

Old 24-11-2005, 02:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

--Lia

Julia, I don't refrigerate pies. I let them cool, cover with saran
wrap, then put them in the breadbox if there is room or set them on top
of the freezer. There are two reasons I don't refrigerate pies. First,
we usually use them the same day they are made or at most the next day.
Second, I'd be hard pressed to find room in the fridge for pies. To
answer your question regarding soggy crust. I made an apple strudel
using puff pastry, a more delicate pastry than regular pie pastry. I
put the remainder in the fridge and the pastry didn't get soggy.
Old 24-11-2005, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Julia Altshuler wrote:

[...]

Remember the old style pie cabinets? I really would love to have one of
those! Could you please share your apple upside down cake recipe? That
sounds good. TIA
Old 24-11-2005, 02:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Julia Altshuler wrote:
It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

If to be consumed within the next day or two leave them out... just
cover loosely with a clean towel, to keep dust off but so condensate
doesn't accumulate and turn the crust soggy, so don't use an airtight
container or foil/plastic wrap... this applies to both pies, no
particular reason to refrigerate pumpkin pie unless you happen to
prefer eating it chilled, same with apple pie (I prefer fruit pies at
room temperature, and really don't like them served reheated, as some
pinheads are won't to do, greasy spoon style, 'cause the pie is stale.
But if you intend to consume these pies say 3-4 days later then I'd
refrigerate, but only after leaving out loosely covered to cool/dry for
24 hours. For longer storage, freeze. Once the pies are cut or
otherwise handled then I'd suggest refrigerating... probably not really
necessary but everyone "handles" differently... which is why I never
ever permit guests to help... how many have been a guest where everyone
helps and have watched the helpers lick their fingers then carry on,
and worse... they don't even realize, they're oblivious. I tend to be
very picky accepting invites to dinner... at some folks homes I'd not
accept a glass of water. People can be really disgusting concerning
food, unwittingly, but disgusting nevertheless.... yeah, I'll have a
beer... no glass, and *I'll* open it if you don't mind. And no, I
don't carry alcohol wipes, but the thought has crossed my mind.... and
yes, I have poured part of my 2ni into my napkin so I could wipe my
silverware, discretely of course.

I don't accept invites to eat at homes where preparing the food is a
family affair (I really don't want to see how Aunt Millie mashes the
potatoes or how Uncle Bill prepares the gravy... and especially not
where everyone brings a dish. And please don't ask me to help myself
to your refrigerator, I really, really don't want to look in there, not
if you expect me to partake... have any of you been to homes where
everyone is constantly rummaging through the fridge, the door may as
well be removed for how much it's actually closed, all the food is
warm, and no one washes their hands, not even after using the terlit...
and don't get me started on people's terlits... many a time after using
a terlit I became suddenly ill and had to leave.

Sheldon Pasteur

Old 24-11-2005, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:55:24 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
wrote:

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a

'criss

cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the

cooked

apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

I'm making my apple pie for the first time with a crumb topping. Would

that be better made the same day as the dinner, to avoid having a
soggy top? Also, it has sour cream in it. Would that require
refrigeration?

A 'crumb' topping defeats the purpose of this thread, of course it is
going to be at least moist if not 'soggy'. And with 'sour cream' you
don't wnat to take any chances.

In any hot, humid southern hemisphere envinroment where it is now summer
i would refrigerate. In the northern hemisphere it is less necessary.

Isn't that the truth about the northern hemisphere. We're getting a
dose of the white stuff with frigid winds. My kitchen cupboards are on
outside walls. The corner cupboard in the kitchen could almost double
as a fridge in the winter leading us to suspect the previous owners were
negligent in installing insulation. It's going to be a pain tearing
those walls apart but for energy savings, we are going to. The nice
thing about these cold temps is when you are having a large crowd, you
can put things like pop on the porch to stay cold and save fridge space.
---
JL

Old 24-11-2005, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 07:35:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

[...]

I only refrigerate cream pies, or custard pie if it's not finished in a
day. All other pies stay out, only covered by a light tea towel. IMHO, I
think wrapping in plastic wrap causes moisture to invade the pastry more
quickly and changes the texture. I'm not saying "soggy", but just a
difference in texture. Puff pastry, phyllo dough, or strudel dough are
far more resistant to moisture invasion than is pie pastry, due mainly to
the construction of those pastries and the higher fat content.
Refrigerating pie pastry also changes the texture because the fat in the
crust becomes far more hard. Just my personal preference to leave it all
out whenever possible.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 24-11-2005, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:59:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Damsel in
dis Dress?

We're talking folded and refrigerated crusts here. They usually turn
out well for me.

Nothing wrong with that. They do turn out well, and probably more people
should use them. I've eaten some pretty dreadful homemade piecrust. :-)

Oh, I know it. My pie crust for my pumpkin pie did not turn out so well
today. That's because I was very rushed and didn't have any wax paper. I
have always rolled out my crust between sheets of waxed paper (for many
reasons that I won't go into). Didn't have time to go to the store, though
if I had had time, I probably just would've gone w/ the folded Pillsbury
crust. It's not as good as my best crust effort, but probably better
looking than today's effort. Oh well. It's just the immediate family, and
I'm sure it will taste ok.

I think this will be a pretty OK turkey dinner, considering that I didn't
know I was cooking it til last night!

Chris

Old 24-11-2005, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On 24 Nov 2005 14:03:11 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I'm lucky that I have a deft hand with pastry, been making it since I was a
kid, so I just sorta pump them out when required. :-) But this sour cream
pie crust recipe looks superb! If I hadn't baked all my pies yesterday,
I'd have made at least one with your recipe. Sour cream makes such a
tender crust. I probably won't bake another pie until Christmas, but I
saved this to use then. Thanks for sharing it with me! I hope you have a
wonderful day with your niece. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I generally use this crust with the cheesecake pecan pie. It just
doesn't get any better than that! Happy Thanksgiving to you and
yours.

Carol
--
Wash away the gray to respond.
Old 24-11-2005, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 22:38:05 -0500, Julia Altshuler wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate
the pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food
for thought: pumpkin pie has egg in it...

Old 24-11-2005, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

sf wrote:

It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie have
come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate the
pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in the
fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to ask
the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense answer?

You can leave the apple pie out with no problem; but I'd refrigerate
the pumpkin pie mainly because I like eating it nice and cold. Food
for thought: pumpkin pie has egg in it...

Pumpkin pies sit out on the counter in bakeries and grocery stores for days
without a problem.

Meat Pies (5) Collection Kathy Brooks Recipes (moderated) 0 11-11-2005 05:57 AM
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2005 03:55 AM
delux mince pies Lorraine Baking 0 15-09-2005 01:54 PM
Baked Fried Apple Pies (2) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 25-11-2003 03:08 PM
Fried Sweet Potato Pies [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 24-10-2003 07:11 PM