Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve

Default Cheese slices stick together - ???

When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!

Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
together?

===================

Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.

....Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Steve wrote:
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?

not slicing it.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve

sarah bennett > wrote:
>> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
>> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
>> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
>> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
>> together?

>not slicing it.

Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
sandwich...

===================

Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.

....Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> sarah bennett > wrote:
> >> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> >> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> >> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> >> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
> >> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> >> together?

> >not slicing it.

> Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
> sandwich...

They'd better be weighing it BEFORE adding the waxed paper!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Nov 2005 08:15:51p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Steve?

> sarah bennett > wrote:
>>> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
>>> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
>>> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
>>> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>>> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
>>> together?

>>not slicing it.

> Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
> sandwich...

Sliced cheese, especially thin-sliced, will stick together if not
separated. Even many commercially packaged sliced cheeses are separated
with small sheets of greaseproof paper. If you don't have it sliced quite
so thin, it will make it somewhat easier to separate without tearing.
Beyond that, I don't think there's a solution.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Steve wrote:

> sarah bennett > wrote:
> >> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> >> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> >> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> >> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
> >> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> >> together?

> >not slicing it.

> Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
> sandwich...

How thin do they have to slice it before the cost of the paper is going to
be significant? The paper <?> that the use to separate the slices at the
meat and cheese counter where I shop is so thin that there is almost no
weight at all. If you are getting it so thin that the weight of those
papers is going to affect the price you a e getting it too thin. There
wouldn't be much use in putting a paper thin slice of cheese on anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use coated freezer paper to separate slices of meat and cheese that I
slice at home.

It's about 3 times heavier than wax paper but even 20-30 sheets,
(4"x4"), costs only a few cents.

If you can find a deli that's willing to put separators between every
thin slice of cheese, please remember : Your're paying for their
labor as well as the paper. They are being paid for their time.

If this doesn't make sense, please come over and scrub my kitchen.
I'll supply rubber gloves, any brand name cleaning products you prefer,
and I'll pay you $1 over minimum wage.

Think about it. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:06:02 -0800, Steve > wrote:

>When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
>really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
>obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
>adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
>Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
>together?
>

>===================
>
>Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.
>
>...Garrison Keillor

As soon as you get home, apply baby powder between each slice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Steve wrote:

> sarah bennett > wrote:
> >> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> >> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> >> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> >> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
> >> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> >> together?

> >not slicing it.

> Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
> sandwich...

Cheese slicer? Buy a good one like they use at Hickory Farms of Ohio or
some such.

Elaine, too

> ===================
>
> Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.
>
> ...Garrison Keillor

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

Well I was thinking something edible like cornstarch.

Lynne

> As soon as you get home, apply baby powder between each slice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

Steve wrote:
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!

The weight of the paper shouldn't be included in the price of the
cheese. That's known as tare weight. Most modern electronic scales
require a tare weight to be entered before they will print out a price
sticker. A single sheet of deli paper isn't going to weigh much. It
may not even register but the clerk will still have to input a tare
weight. Usually they simply enter the smallest weight that the scale
can actually register which is generally .01 pounds. If you're want an
accurate tare have the deli clerk weigh the paper first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Steve wrote:
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?

Why not slice it yourself? The wire slicers work fine for Gouda, both
the handheld models and the ones attached to a board of some kind.
-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Steve wrote:

> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?
>

> ===================
>
> Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.
>
> ...Garrison Keillor

I'd suggest slicing it at home, as muchaas you need and keep the rest
whole until you need it.

But I realize that's not much good to you right now.

Smoked Gouda is good, though, isn't it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Steve wrote:
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?

If the ultimate purpose is getting exactly the right amount of cheese on
a sandwich or salad, I suggest buying the pound unsliced, then GRATING
it when you get home. Grated cheese is easier to spread around
appropriately.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Steve wrote:
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?

A knowledgeable deli counter person would know to stagger slices of
products that tend to stick together (like they [should] do liverwurst)
and then insert a piece of paper between every 5-6 slices... inform the
counter person or perhaps you need to shop elsewhere. And still
immediately upon arriving home you're the one who needs to insert waxed
paper yourself to prevent sticking over time... and if you're not going
to use those slices within two days you shouldn't be purchasing sliced
cheese anyway, buy a wedge and slice it yourself as needed. Gouda is
one of the easiest cheeses to slice... I would prefer slicing it myself
regardless... freshly sliced cheese has better texture and is also more
flavorful.

Also, quality gouda is not sold sliced, it would be sold whole or in
wedges (red wax included)... if it's what delis call "slicing gouda",
sliced from a long loaf, like that mystery meat they call "deli ham",
it's really perfumed American cheese, it's not very representitive of
real gouda, so who gives a rat's b-hind if it sticks, it's crap
anyway... hack it apart and use it to top a tuna caserole. hehe

Sheldon Kraft

Posted to rec.food.cooking
White Monkey

"Steve" > wrote in message
> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>
> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> together?

Here in the Netherlands, home of Gouda cheese, they don't have a way to
prevent it, so I'm afraid it looks like you're out of luck. Here I can buy a
whole piece of cheese and use a nifty little device called a cheese slicer,
or I can pay more to buy it already sliced and with separators. I once
bought it sliced without separators and sure enough, it stuck together.
--Katrina

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is getting much too complicated.

DO THIS:
Buy a hunk of cheese.
Bring it home and toss in the fridge
When you want some, grab a knife and chop the **** out of it.
---ENJOY---
Put any leftover cheese in fridge
Wash knife.

............ You're done ..........

Why was that so difficult?

-------------------------------
On 23 Nov 2005 07:02:03 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
>> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
>> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
>> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
>>
>> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
>> together?

>A knowledgeable deli counter person would know to stagger slices of
>products that tend to stick together (like they [should] do liverwurst)
>and then insert a piece of paper between every 5-6 slices... inform the
>counter person or perhaps you need to shop elsewhere. And still
>immediately upon arriving home you're the one who needs to insert waxed
>paper yourself to prevent sticking over time... and if you're not going
>to use those slices within two days you shouldn't be purchasing sliced
>cheese anyway, buy a wedge and slice it yourself as needed. Gouda is
>one of the easiest cheeses to slice... I would prefer slicing it myself
>regardless... freshly sliced cheese has better texture and is also more
>flavorful.
>
>Also, quality gouda is not sold sliced, it would be sold whole or in
>wedges (red wax included)... if it's what delis call "slicing gouda",
>sliced from a long loaf, like that mystery meat they call "deli ham",
>it's really perfumed American cheese, it's not very representitive of
>real gouda, so who gives a rat's b-hind if it sticks, it's crap
>anyway... hack it apart and use it to top a tuna caserole. hehe
>
>Sheldon Kraft

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve

"aem" > wrote:
>Why not slice it yourself? The wire slicers work fine for Gouda, both
>the handheld models and the ones attached to a board of some kind.

I've tried both, very difficult to get relatively thin slices, and
lots of variability between slices.

===================

Hospitality is making people feel at home when you wish they were.

....Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Steve" > wrote in message
> sarah bennett > wrote:
> >> When I purchase smoked gouda cheese at the grocery, I have it sliced
> >> really thin, which means there are dozens of slices in a pound. It's
> >> obviously tedious to insert separators between each slice. Plus, it
> >> adds to the weight, making it pretty expensive waxed paper!
> >> Is there any other way to keep the entire clump from sticking
> >> together?

> >not slicing it.

> Thanks, though I'm not sure I wanna slap a pound of gouda on a
> sandwich...

Then slice it BEFORE you put it onto the bread. You know how to slice huh?
',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Steve" > wrote in message
> "aem" > wrote:
> >Why not slice it yourself? The wire slicers work fine for Gouda, both
> >the handheld models and the ones attached to a board of some kind.

> I've tried both, very difficult to get relatively thin slices, and
> lots of variability between slices.

And only uniformity tastes good?

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
TFM®

Steve wrote:
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>>Why not slice it yourself? The wire slicers work fine for Gouda, both
>>the handheld models and the ones attached to a board of some kind.

> I've tried both, very difficult to get relatively thin slices, and
> lots of variability between slices.

I'm just a hillbilly, so my answer may or may not count.

I'd recommend you first learn how to use a knife.

Second, if you think you know how to use a knife yet cannot slice cheese
paper thin I recommend you learn how to *sharpen* a knife.

Short of learning those 2 vital skills, you could buy a commercial
slicer and have it at your disposal.

I see no major problem here other than your lack of knife skills. So
either pay someone to take up your slack or accept your uneven slices.

TFM®
Posted to rec.food.cooking

An electric slicer for the home kitchen could be had for about $35,
cheaper if you buy one on Ebay. Not much more than an inexpensive
slicing knife.

Learning to sharpen and use a fine edge knife doesn't take much effort,
and can be quite satisfying. (Plus, you could put on an impressive show
for your guests.

roasting in slices john west General Cooking 9 04-07-2008 04:11 AM
Vanilla Slices cmo Recipes 0 03-01-2005 08:38 AM
Using Ham Slices (8) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 13-08-2004 01:14 AM
Calphalon Pro non-stick ii vs commercial non-stick? Bill Cooking Equipment 7 19-11-2003 09:34 PM