Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

Default Sideboard pad and table pad covers

I have bought a table and sideboard pad. When eating the table pad is
covered with a table cloth. My question is what to do with the
sideboard. Is the sideboard pad covered with some sort of cloth as
well?

The problem with sideboard is that it is not rectangular, i.e. it has
some curves to it, and the sideboard pad does follow the curves of the
sideboard. . If I get a sideboard cloth should it follow the
contours of the sideboard pad? Putting just a table runner on the
sideboard pad seems odd because it will only cover the middle portion
of the sideboard pad. How about a sideboard cloth that just covers
the sideboard pad and then has a lace than hangs off the side? Thanks
in advance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 20 Nov 2005 09:55:47p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jonathan?

> I have bought a table and sideboard pad. When eating the table pad is
> covered with a table cloth. My question is what to do with the
> sideboard. Is the sideboard pad covered with some sort of cloth as
> well?
>
> The problem with sideboard is that it is not rectangular, i.e. it has
> some curves to it, and the sideboard pad does follow the curves of the
> sideboard. . If I get a sideboard cloth should it follow the
> contours of the sideboard pad? Putting just a table runner on the
> sideboard pad seems odd because it will only cover the middle portion
> of the sideboard pad. How about a sideboard cloth that just covers
> the sideboard pad and then has a lace than hangs off the side? Thanks
> in advance.

The latter seems like the best solution.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Jonathan" > wrote in message
>I have bought a table and sideboard pad. When eating the table pad is
> covered with a table cloth. My question is what to do with the
> sideboard. Is the sideboard pad covered with some sort of cloth as
> well?
>
> The problem with sideboard is that it is not rectangular, i.e. it has
> some curves to it, and the sideboard pad does follow the curves of the
> sideboard. . If I get a sideboard cloth should it follow the
> contours of the sideboard pad? Putting just a table runner on the
> sideboard pad seems odd because it will only cover the middle portion
> of the sideboard pad. How about a sideboard cloth that just covers
> the sideboard pad and then has a lace than hangs off the side? Thanks
> in advance.

Realistically, I would leave the sideboard cover on for day to day use and then
take it off for holidays and when company is over.

If you are so afraid of using something that it stays covered then I do not
think one should buy it.

IMHO furniture if to use and look at - I do not believe in hiding what I own.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

>Realistically, I would leave the sideboard cover on for day to day use and then
>take it off for holidays and when company is over.

If we put hot dishes on the sideboard it will damage it. That is why
we need the sideboard pad. Are you saying the don't bother putting
cover on the sideboard pad?

>If you are so afraid of using something that it stays covered then I do not
>think one should buy it.
>
>IMHO furniture if to use and look at - I do not believe in hiding what I own.

The sideboard pad and cover are taken off when there are no dishes on
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Jonathan" > wrote in message

>>Realistically, I would leave the sideboard cover on for day to day use and
>>then
>>take it off for holidays and when company is over.

> If we put hot dishes on the sideboard it will damage it. That is why
> we need the sideboard pad. Are you saying the don't bother putting
> cover on the sideboard pad?

trivet
[TRIHV-iht]
A short-legged (or otherwise raised) stand used to support hot dishes and
protect the surface of a table.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S
COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Jonathan wrote:
> >Realistically, I would leave the sideboard cover on for day to day use and then
> >take it off for holidays and when company is over.

> If we put hot dishes on the sideboard it will damage it. That is why
> we need the sideboard pad. Are you saying the don't bother putting
> cover on the sideboard pad?
>

> >If you are so afraid of using something that it stays covered then I do not
> >think one should buy it.
> >
> >IMHO furniture if to use and look at - I do not believe in hiding what I own.

> The sideboard pad and cover are taken off when there are no dishes on
> it.

There are very attractive trivets available.

I have a custom made beveled glass to fit the top of my credenza, but
still I use the trivets. I detest table pads, not only are they very
tacky, for what they are they're very expensive.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

<snip>

I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
very expensive.

> Sheldon

Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 21 Nov 2005 02:35:17p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
> they're
> very expensive.
>>
>> Sheldon

> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
> sofa.
>
> Dimitri

What's tacky about a table pad if it's covered in an heirloom tablecloth?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 21 Nov 2005 02:35:17p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
> > they're
> > very expensive.
> >>
> >> Sheldon

> > Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
> > sofa.
> >
> > Dimitri

> What's tacky about a table pad if it's covered in an heirloom tablecloth?

Anything covering a sideboard/credenza is tacky... like the church
feed... may as well use a paper table cover over a pair of saw horses
and a sheet of plywood to set out the mac n' cheese and tray of balogna
on white with yaller musturd.

Heirloom schmeirloom... strictly emotional kitch... a tablecloth
containing valuable wine stains as would be found at any yard sale for
50¢... a schmata.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Dimitri wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
> very expensive.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
>
> Dimitri

Youse guys are nutz. Table pads are required, especially if you have a
lovely antique table with the original finish, and small persons to
share meals at said table. My grandmother, my mom, me ... we all have
used table pads. We don't leave them on the table "naked," we take
them off as soon as the tablecloth comes off. Then we can put the
crocheted table runner on that our Great Aunt Mary made about 75 years
ago, get out the silver candlesticks and a bowl or epergne, and "dress"
the table for non-meal hours. I certainly wouldn't want any white
rings from hot dishes, or careless spills ruining the finish of the
table top. I've never met a "company dinner" trivet yet that was worth
using ... too slippery, too thin, too casual. With table pads,
esepcially if they are custom made to fit the table, the hostess
doesn't have to worry about who put what where, or did someone slightly
spill their wine or water.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On 21 Nov 2005 22:39:35 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Mon 21 Nov 2005 02:35:17p, Dimitri wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
>> they're
>> very expensive.
>>>
>>> Sheldon

>> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
>> sofa.
>>
>> Dimitri

>What's tacky about a table pad if it's covered in an heirloom tablecloth?

Amen, brother!

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Dimitri wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
> very expensive.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.

Nonsense. In the first place, they provide excellent protection for
the fine table underneath, whether it's the dining table or the
sideboard. Their cost is minimal compared to what it would cost to
refinish a table. In the second place, table pads are never seen
because they are always under a cloth. When the need for their
protection is gone, they are removed. Never seen, they can hardly be
called tacky. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Nancy1 wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
> > "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
> > very expensive.
> > >
> > > Sheldon

> > Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
> >
> > Dimitri

> Youse guys are nutz. Table pads are required, especially if you have a
> lovely antique table with the original finish, and small persons to
> share meals at said table. My grandmother, my mom, me ... we all have
> used table pads. We don't leave them on the table "naked," we take
> them off as soon as the tablecloth comes off. Then we can put the
> crocheted table runner on that our Great Aunt Mary made about 75 years
> ago, get out the silver candlesticks and a bowl or epergne, and "dress"
> the table for non-meal hours. I certainly wouldn't want any white
> rings from hot dishes, or careless spills ruining the finish of the
> table top. I've never met a "company dinner" trivet yet that was worth
> using ... too slippery, too thin, too casual. With table pads,
> esepcially if they are custom made to fit the table, the hostess
> doesn't have to worry about who put what where, or did someone slightly
> spill their wine or water.

A sideboard shouldn't be used to set out food for guests to help
themselves... it's for storing dinnerware and table linens and for
setting out extra dinnerware, carving/serving ware, and a place to
momentarilly set the courses at the ready as they arrive from the
kitchen just before serving the formal table. I think you're cobbling
together a help yourself church feed with a formal sit down dinner...
verrry tacky. Typically help yourselves affairs are conducted in a far
less formal setting (a garden, a great room, a den), not in a formal
dining room. And there are plenty of very elegant trivets and salvers
one can employ for setting out hot casserols, turreens, and platters...
you're just not going to find them at the Dollar Store.

Sheldon Sterling

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> <snip>
>
> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
> they're
> very expensive.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
>
> Dimitri

At my house, we use mattress pads beneath the tablecloth.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"Nancy1" > wrote:
>With table pads,
> esepcially if they are custom made to fit the table, the hostess
> doesn't have to worry about who put what where, or did someone
> slightly spill their wine or water.

> N.

I'll drink to that! Whoopsie-daisy!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
>> they're
>> very expensive.
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
>> sofa.
>>
>> Dimitri

> At my house, we use mattress pads beneath the tablecloth.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

We bought for f-i-l a mattress pad that had a rubber bottom to it so that
any 'liquid' spilled on it would not be absorbed into the mattress below it.
Is this the kind of mattress pad you use?
Thanks kindly,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > At my house, we use mattress pads beneath the tablecloth.
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.

> We bought for f-i-l a mattress pad that had a rubber bottom to it so that
> any 'liquid' spilled on it would not be absorbed into the mattress below it.
> Is this the kind of mattress pad you use?
> Thanks kindly,
> Dee Dee

Nope, just a plain quilted flat one with elastic bands at the corners,
not with excess elasticized fabric that tucks under the mattress. I
think the one from the twin bed - it's wide enough without being too
wide. It's pretty old. I don't know if they make them that way anymore.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-19-05 - Shiksa Varnishkes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> "Dimitri" wrote:
> > "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
> > they're very expensive.
> >
> > Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.

> At my house, we use mattress pads beneath the tablecloth.

You do it on the side board too... I don't even wanna know.

(thinking Barb needs to develop a line of incredible edible blue ribbon
genital gelly)

Sheldon Mango Mint

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:35:17 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
roups.com...

><snip>
>
> I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
>very expensive.
>>
>> Sheldon

>Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
>
>Dimitri

Doing without table pad is ok if you have a cheap table that only cost
few thousand dollar. One of the first meals we served on our table
was without the benefit of a table pad. We had a custom made cloth
padding with table cloth on top but the hot plates damaged the french
polish on the dining table. It cost us about $1,000 to get that
repaired and that didn't even include wine! After that it was table
pad underneath and table cloth on top.

We used to use trivets on sideboard but french polish is NOT
waterproof and I am not about to keep an eye on the sideboard during
dinner to see if anybody dropped any food on it so that I can run over
and wipe it off. I guess best solution is to just throw the furniture
out once it is dirty! I agree with you that sideboard pad looks tacky
which is why we would like to cover it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Sheldon wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
>
> A sideboard shouldn't be used to set out food for guests to help
> themselves... it's for storing dinnerware and table linens and for

Shel, I was talkin' table tops, not sideboard tops.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Jonathan wrote:

> and wipe it off. I guess best solution is to just throw the furniture
> out once it is dirty! I agree with you that sideboard pad looks tacky
> which is why we would like to cover it.

I think the idea of a pad with a custom-fit cloth over it, perhaps with
some frippery lace edging to hang down a couple inches, is a good idea.

I don't use my buffet to serve from, but if I did, I would do something
similar.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Nancy1 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Nancy1 wrote:
> >
> > A sideboard shouldn't be used to set out food for guests to help
> > themselves... it's for storing dinnerware and table linens and for

> Shel, I was talkin' table tops, not sideboard tops.

More tacky... everyone sitting at that table knows there's a thick ugly
protective pad beneath the cloth... screams out your guests are slobs
(that's the tacky part).... same way the bulk of Depends screams out
you're incontinent. Classy folks use second tablecloths, there are
'specially treated protective ones that are sold by the fine linens
shops, they are smaller than standard table linen and are moisture
proof... typically tissue-like, very thin cloth-like plastic... no way
to know unless you lift the cloth and look. They are very inexpensive
and are meant as disposables. Technology has come a long way, no one
spends all that money on tacky table pads anymore, unless you truly are
tacky like those with the clear plastic slip covers... also screams
your guests are slobs... and also attempts to convey you have expensive
furnishings, usually not... people with money redecorate... only the
poor schnooks try to make their Sears couch last 30 years... aincha
hoid of 3M's Crotch Guard?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Sheldon wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > > Nancy1 wrote:
> > >
> > > A sideboard shouldn't be used to set out food for guests to help
> > > themselves... it's for storing dinnerware and table linens and for

> > Shel, I was talkin' table tops, not sideboard tops.

> More tacky... everyone sitting at that table knows there's a thick ugly
> protective pad beneath the cloth... screams out your guests are slobs
> (that's the tacky part).... same way the bulk of Depends screams out
> you're incontinent. Classy folks use second tablecloths, there are
> 'specially treated protective ones that are sold by the fine linens

Those tissue-thin under-covers don't protect against heat. Say what
you will about trivets you have found that work and look dressed up,
but I haven't found any like that. China serving pieces slide right
off the metal ones. Think what you like; my guests aren't slobs. I'm
done with this discussion because you're becoming obnoxious again.

Happy Thanksgiving.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On 22 Nov 2005 09:18:17 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>you're incontinent. Classy folks use second tablecloths, there are
>'specially treated protective ones that are sold by the fine linens
>shops, they are smaller than standard table linen and are moisture
>proof... typically tissue-like, very thin cloth-like plastic... no way
>to know unless you lift the cloth and look. They are very inexpensive
>and are meant as disposables. Technology has come a long way, no one

We had something similar and it damaged the table which is why we went
the table pad route. This table pad is very thin, thick ones
disappeared long ago, and nobody can tell if it is ugly because it is
underneath the table cloth.

World marches on. For example some people still insist on sidechairs
and 2 armchairs. In our house we give everybody armchairs at the
dining table so everybody is comfortable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On 22 Nov 2005 09:27:29 -0800, "Nancy1" >
wrote:

>Those tissue-thin under-covers don't protect against heat. Say what
>you will about trivets you have found that work and look dressed up,
>but I haven't found any like that. China serving pieces slide right
>off the metal ones. Think what you like; my guests aren't slobs. I'm
>done with this discussion because you're becoming obnoxious again.

The best trivets are the ones that come in two halves so that you can
adjust the width accordingly. We found those to be stable but still
had some problem with sliding. They were made by Virginia
Metalcrafters but it seems they don't make them anymore.

Given Sheldon's insistence that the thin cloth will protect table from
heat I wonder if she is a furntiure repair business owner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Lucy Jonathan wrote:
> "Nancy1" wrote:
>
> >Those tissue-thin under-covers don't protect against heat. Say what
> >you will about trivets you have found that work and look dressed up,
> >but I haven't found any like that. China serving pieces slide right
> >off the metal ones. Think what you like; my guests aren't slobs. I'm
> >done with this discussion because you're becoming obnoxious again.

> The best trivets are the ones that come in two halves so that you can
> adjust the width accordingly. We found those to be stable but still
> had some problem with sliding. They were made by Virginia
> Metalcrafters but it seems they don't make them anymore.
>
> Given Sheldon's insistence that the thin cloth will protect table from
> heat I wonder if she is a furntiure repair business owner.

She... always wished for the opportunity to be a she for say a month..
but let's not go there. I never said the tablecloth liner will protect
from heat, I said it was moisture proof, even a moron like you should
be able to figure that means spills. For hot dishes there are many
elegant trivets, footed servers, salvers, chaffing dishes, etc.... not
talking Dollar Store wicker. Oh, I said that already too. Try to keep
up, Lucy.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Nancy1 wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Nancy1 wrote:

> > > Shel, I was talkin' table tops, not sideboard tops.

> > More tacky... everyone sitting at that table knows there's a thick ugly
> > protective pad beneath the cloth... screams out your guests are slobs
> > (that's the tacky part).... same way the bulk of Depends screams out
> > you're incontinent. Classy folks use second tablecloths, there are
> > 'specially treated protective ones that are sold by the fine linens

> Those tissue-thin under-covers don't protect against heat.

Where do I say they do... are you really so low IQ, goes with your
class, LOW!

You probably have plastic covers on your lamp shades too... $10 lamp,
$5 cover... or is it the other way around, I wouldn't know.

Sheldon Tiffany

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On 22 Nov 2005 09:57:12 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>She... always wished for the opportunity to be a she for say a month..
>but let's not go there. I never said the tablecloth liner will protect
>from heat, I said it was moisture proof, even a moron like you should
>be able to figure that means spills. For hot dishes there are many
>elegant trivets, footed servers, salvers, chaffing dishes, etc.... not
>talking Dollar Store wicker. Oh, I said that already too. Try to keep
>up, Lucy.

Anybody with even a double digit IQ should be able to figure that we
are trying to protect against heat and that was the sole reason for
pads. I guess somebody should have read you the post slowly but what
else can you expect from somebody who is a load that his mother should
have swallowed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Jonathan" > wrote in message
> On 22 Nov 2005 09:18:17 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>you're incontinent. Classy folks use second tablecloths, there are
>>'specially treated protective ones that are sold by the fine linens
>>shops, they are smaller than standard table linen and are moisture
>>proof... typically tissue-like, very thin cloth-like plastic... no way
>>to know unless you lift the cloth and look. They are very inexpensive
>>and are meant as disposables. Technology has come a long way, no one

> We had something similar and it damaged the table which is why we went
> the table pad route. This table pad is very thin, thick ones
> disappeared long ago, and nobody can tell if it is ugly because it is
> underneath the table cloth.
>
> World marches on. For example some people still insist on sidechairs
> and 2 armchairs. In our house we give everybody armchairs at the
> dining table so everybody is comfortable.

In 1974 I bought a beautiful solid wood table - 3 inserts high-end name
brand. DH didn't think it was even worth spending money for a table pad;
one reason was that it has oriental rounded corners and the pad would have
cost big money. In 1985 when we moved to Hawaii, we lived near the beach
without a/c. With the traffic and sugar cane fields burning I put a cheap
table top plastic (faux quilted with plastic foam-type bottom. Where I had
some large/heavy fruit & vegetable large bowls sitting on it most of the
time, the humidity stuck it to the wood and when I took it off, up came the
finishing, leaving spots. This table has been used daily over the years and
I am not enough ashamed of it to have it refinished. A month ago something
was left on it that put a white spot/bloom on it. I will live with it. It
did not break my heart. As I don't use tablecloths much anymore, the table
does get a beating. But wood in any state is beautiful to me.

(I have not seen the linen sheets for under the table cloths. Would this be
something that is sold at Bed... Beyond or Linens & Things.) I'm
understanding that you might not want to leave this on for more than a week,
as it is temporary?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

aem wrote:

> > Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
> >

> Nonsense. In the first place, they provide excellent protection for
> the fine table underneath, whether it's the dining table or the
> sideboard. Their cost is minimal compared to what it would cost to
> refinish a table. In the second place, table pads are never seen
> because they are always under a cloth. When the need for their
> protection is gone, they are removed. Never seen, they can hardly be
> called tacky. -aem

What kind of engineer did you say you are?

:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Jonathan wrote:
> I have bought a table and sideboard pad. When eating the table pad is
> covered with a table cloth. My question is what to do with the
> sideboard. Is the sideboard pad covered with some sort of cloth as
> well?

I have a Cherry dining table and an antique mahogany sideboard. I
never bought table pads - all I do is buy quality backed, vinyl table
cloths (cut to size if necessary)and put the cloth table cloths over
them. It protects from heat and water spills. If you buy white or
cream ones, they don't show through the linens.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jonathan wrote:
>> I have bought a table and sideboard pad. When eating the table pad is
>> covered with a table cloth. My question is what to do with the
>> sideboard. Is the sideboard pad covered with some sort of cloth as
>> well?

> I have a Cherry dining table and an antique mahogany sideboard. I
> never bought table pads - all I do is buy quality backed, vinyl table
> cloths (cut to size if necessary)and put the cloth table cloths over
> them. It protects from heat and water spills. If you buy white or
> cream ones, they don't show through the linens.
>
> -L.

Thank you, L.

Ah, yes, I do remember trying this long time ago. I recall that the odor on
the ones I was able to purchase was so strong that I discontinued using
them. (Even now, I buy shower curtains a long while in advance to let them
breathe out.) Perhaps I'll look for some that are a little more pleasant to
me.
Thanks for your suggestion,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sueb

Jonathan wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:35:17 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are they're
> >very expensive.
> >>
> >> Sheldon

> >Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered sofa.
> >
> >Dimitri

> Doing without table pad is ok if you have a cheap table that only cost
> few thousand dollar. One of the first meals we served on our table
> was without the benefit of a table pad. We had a custom made cloth
> padding with table cloth on top but the hot plates damaged the french
> polish on the dining table. It cost us about $1,000 to get that
> repaired and that didn't even include wine! After that it was table
> pad underneath and table cloth on top.
>
> We used to use trivets on sideboard but french polish is NOT
> waterproof and I am not about to keep an eye on the sideboard during
> dinner to see if anybody dropped any food on it so that I can run over
> and wipe it off. I guess best solution is to just throw the furniture
> out once it is dirty! I agree with you that sideboard pad looks tacky
> which is why we would like to cover it.

I guess that I'm siding with the loon. Get better trivets.

Or, since you think that good tables cost more than a "few thousand
dollar", you obviously have a lot of money to throw around. Maybe you
should invest in a few servants. That way nothing has to be left on a
table or a sideboard.

What's the point of *having* beautiful wood furniture if you can't see
the beautiful wood while you're eating?

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"sueb" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jonathan wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:35:17 GMT, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Sheldon" > wrote in message
>> roups.com...
>> >
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
>> > they're
>> >very expensive.

>> >Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
>> >sofa.
>> >
>> >Dimitri

>> Doing without table pad is ok if you have a cheap table that only cost
>> few thousand dollar. One of the first meals we served on our table
>> was without the benefit of a table pad. We had a custom made cloth
>> padding with table cloth on top but the hot plates damaged the french
>> polish on the dining table. It cost us about $1,000 to get that
>> repaired and that didn't even include wine! After that it was table
>> pad underneath and table cloth on top.
>>
>> We used to use trivets on sideboard but french polish is NOT
>> waterproof and I am not about to keep an eye on the sideboard during
>> dinner to see if anybody dropped any food on it so that I can run over
>> and wipe it off. I guess best solution is to just throw the furniture
>> out once it is dirty! I agree with you that sideboard pad looks tacky
>> which is why we would like to cover it.

> I guess that I'm siding with the loon. Get better trivets.
>
> Or, since you think that good tables cost more than a "few thousand
> dollar", you obviously have a lot of money to throw around. Maybe you
> should invest in a few servants. That way nothing has to be left on a
> table or a sideboard.
>
> What's the point of *having* beautiful wood furniture if you can't see
> the beautiful wood while you're eating?
>
> Susan B.

"Servants?" "Servants?" What is that word; I've not heard that for years;
oh, yes, on British Television: Upstairs/Downstairs and in old novels.
Not many here in this land of plenty have "servants." It's hard enough to
get someone to wash windows. Lawsy, me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"sueb" ,Jonathan , "Dimitri" ,"Sheldon" < wrote
>> ><snip>
>> >
>> > I detest table pads, not only are they very tacky, for what they are
>> > they're
>> >very expensive.

>> >Amen to that - Tacky Tacky, Tacky - about the same as a plastic covered
>> >sofa.
>> >
>> >Dimitri

>> Doing without table pad is ok if you have a cheap table that only cost
>> few thousand dollar. One of the first meals we served on our table
>> was without the benefit of a table pad. We had a custom made cloth
>> padding with table cloth on top but the hot plates damaged the french
>> polish on the dining table. It cost us about $1,000 to get that
>> repaired and that didn't even include wine! After that it was table
>> pad underneath and table cloth on top.
>>
>> We used to use trivets on sideboard but french polish is NOT
>> waterproof and I am not about to keep an eye on the sideboard during
>> dinner to see if anybody dropped any food on it so that I can run over
>> and wipe it off. I guess best solution is to just throw the furniture
>> out once it is dirty! I agree with you that sideboard pad looks tacky
>> which is why we would like to cover it.

> I guess that I'm siding with the loon. Get better trivets.
>
> Or, since you think that good tables cost more than a "few thousand
> dollar", you obviously have a lot of money to throw around. Maybe you
> should invest in a few servants. That way nothing has to be left on a
> table or a sideboard.
>
> What's the point of *having* beautiful wood furniture if you can't see
> the beautiful wood while you're eating?
>
> Susan B.
>============

While I understand what you're saying Susan, unfortunately, not all guests
know how to protect your table. I've had guests slide hot dishes to another
guest and/or totally ignore the trivet that is empty and on their left side
just to place a hot dish on the bare table in front of them... I generally
leave my table bare when I'm not entertaining and cover it when I'm
entertaining those whose table-care I am unfamiliar (or TOO familiar) with.
<shrug> I know it's 'just a thing' but I paid a lot (a lot for me) and I
try to take very good care of it.

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On 22 Nov 2005 14:50:39 -0800, "sueb" > wrote:

>Or, since you think that good tables cost more than a "few thousand
>dollar", you obviously have a lot of money to throw around.

Anytime you get beyond simple wood and into carved, marquetry or
veneers you are easily in the 5-figure range.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Jonathan wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2005 14:50:39 -0800, "sueb" > wrote:
>
> >Or, since you think that good tables cost more than a "few thousand
> >dollar", you obviously have a lot of money to throw around.

> Anytime you get beyond simple wood and into carved, marquetry or
> veneers you are easily in the 5-figure range.

Bull. Tons of fancy schmancy carved and inlaid wooden furniture is
manufactured in the Philippines, and other parts, for dirt cheap...
great workmanship and looks gorgeous too. A hundred years ago, and
more, it cost a bundle to own hand hewn woods but not any more... in
fact these days the bare painted/plastic Ikea look costs more. It's
all about demand... in these hurried-harried times young folks want
clean lines, maintenence free... today everything is plastic, even a
Cadilac... go know.

About once a month I go to a local antique auction where I typically
buy something wonderfully old and in wonderful condition, and it goes
for pretty cheap. Last week I purchased a really nice tiffany style
table lamp from the 50s ($315), a beautiful wooden tea table, very
ornately carved with real mother of pearl inlays and other marquetry
($100), and an original oil painting from a local estate, a so-so
landscape, about 34" x 20", but it's the frame I really wanted, very
ornate, gesso with gold gilt and in perfect condition ($20)... also
when I arrived home I noticed the backing is original, when I finally
decide what to do with it who knows what I'll find inside. I do
watercolor painting so I always have my eyes out for nice frames.

Estate auctions are fun, always something for everyone and every
pocketbook.... and lots of drama... I'm always amazed at how high the
bidding goes for a piece of crap and how little for something
fantastic. Often the bidding gets absolutely wild, folks get so keyed
up lightening bolts practically shoot out of their every pore. Even
when I don't buy anything I couldn't ask for better entertainment.

http://mooneysonline.com

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jonathan

On 22 Nov 2005 19:03:10 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Bull. Tons of fancy schmancy carved and inlaid wooden furniture is
>manufactured in the Philippines, and other parts, for dirt cheap...
>great workmanship and looks gorgeous too. A hundred years ago, and

You really need to stop shopping at stores that are next to the check
cashing place!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article . com>,
"sueb" > wrote:

> What's the point of *having* beautiful wood furniture if you can't see
> the beautiful wood while you're eating?

Do you have small children? They sometimes spill. On that beautiful
wood. It's nice to have a cover on it, so you can clean that up without
making a mark even worse than before with the cleaner/water/etc.

Regards,
Ranee (who is uncouth and has a table pad, but has it under a
tablecloth)

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/