Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peameal bacon... is it worth it?

I never heard of peameal bacon until I read about it here. From what
I've read on the web, what Americans think of as Canadian bacon is
described as "imposter bacon" by Canadians.

It sounds good, but very expensive , (over $25 per pound, shipped from
Canada).

It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.

Brined or smoked meats are available here in meat stores They have
smoked, brined, and fresh ham and pork loin (sometimes called Polish
bacon). They're more expensive than anything you can find in large
supermarkets, worth every penny, but nowhere near $25 per pound.

I'd be glad to pay more for something that's extra special, but not for
something I could find freshly made a few miles away. (Plus, I'd be
supporting a local business person). : - )

Has anyone compared them?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

" wrote:

> I never heard of peameal bacon until I read about it here. From what
> I've read on the web, what Americans think of as Canadian bacon is
> described as "imposter bacon" by Canadians.
>
> It sounds good, but very expensive , (over $25 per pound, shipped from
> Canada).

We sure don't pay that much for it here in Canada. It's more like $6-7 per
pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:20:54 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> We sure don't pay that much for it here in Canada. It's more like $6-7 per
> pound.

Ouch

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 12:03:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sf?

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:20:54 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> We sure don't pay that much for it here in Canada. It's more like $6-7
>> per pound.
>>

> Ouch

Like ham, however, it goes a long way.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sandy

I buy peameal bacon once in awhile, it's no big deal,,,,thinly sliced pork
with cornmeal coating,,,,,but no more than 5 bucks a lb.........I wouldn't
pay more. not worth it.

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I never heard of peameal bacon until I read about it here. From what
> I've read on the web, what Americans think of as Canadian bacon is
> described as "imposter bacon" by Canadians.
>
> It sounds good, but very expensive , (over $25 per pound, shipped from
> Canada).
>
> It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.
>
> Brined or smoked meats are available here in meat stores They have
> smoked, brined, and fresh ham and pork loin (sometimes called Polish
> bacon). They're more expensive than anything you can find in large
> supermarkets, worth every penny, but nowhere near $25 per pound.
>

> I'd be glad to pay more for something that's extra special, but not for
> something I could find freshly made a few miles away. (Plus, I'd be
> supporting a local business person). : - )
>
> Has anyone compared them?
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Flat rate ground shipping is $20 per order, hence the extra high cost.
Without s&h it comes to about $16-$17 per pound. I don't live within
driving distance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 16 Nov 2005 19:13:19 -0800, "
> wrote:

>I never heard of peameal bacon until I read about it here. From what
>I've read on the web, what Americans think of as Canadian bacon is
>described as "imposter bacon" by Canadians.
>
> It sounds good, but very expensive , (over $25 per pound, shipped from
>Canada).
>
> It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.
>
>Brined or smoked meats are available here in meat stores They have
>smoked, brined, and fresh ham and pork loin (sometimes called Polish
>bacon). They're more expensive than anything you can find in large
>supermarkets, worth every penny, but nowhere near $25 per pound.
>

>I'd be glad to pay more for something that's extra special, but not for
>something I could find freshly made a few miles away. (Plus, I'd be
>supporting a local business person). : - )
>
>Has anyone compared them?
>
>Thanks.

I make my own...$1.99 for pork loin..five days in brine..Very simple
to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

~patches~ wrote:

> > It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.

> Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked pork loin. After curing it is
> rolled in cornmeal then sliced thin or sliced thick depending on your
> preference, and fried or you can bake the whole piece. It is easily
> made yourself as already discussed in the peameal bacon thread.

It is rolled in peameal. Hence the name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> We sure don't pay that much for it here in Canada. It's more like $6-7
> >> per pound.
> >>

> > Ouch

> Like ham, however, it goes a long way.

It can. There is no waste to it. My wife used to poach it in apple juice and
then bake it with a brown sugar and mustard glaze. Delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

"ms. tonya" wrote:

> RESPONSE: I live only less than half hour from canada/detroit border and
> have never heard of peameal bacon either till now also.
> Went online to ck. out prices cheapest I found was $33.95 for 2 pounds.
> Will read up how to make it my self. Interesting all the years living
> that close to Windsor Canada and just now learning this.

It's in the meat department, right next to the side bacon. It comes in
chunks or pre sliced.

FWIW, it is only within the last year that I found Canadian bacon in a store
here. Up to that point, I always thought that Canadian bacon was the
American term for peameal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cam

Dave Smith wrote:
> ~patches~ wrote:
>

> > > It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.

> > Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked pork loin. After curing it is
> > rolled in cornmeal then sliced thin or sliced thick depending on your
> > preference, and fried or you can bake the whole piece. It is easily
> > made yourself as already discussed in the peameal bacon thread.

> It is rolled in peameal. Hence the name.

Dave, It used to be rolled in pea meal but that was years ago. The name
stuck but it's now it's rolled in corn meal. Can you find any place
on-line that sells the 'real' stuff?

Cam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> "ms. tonya" wrote:
>

> > RESPONSE: I live only less than half hour from canada/detroit border and
> > have never heard of peameal bacon either till now also.
> > Went online to ck. out prices cheapest I found was $33.95 for 2 pounds.
> > Will read up how to make it my self. Interesting all the years living
> > that close to Windsor Canada and just now learning this.

> It's in the meat department, right next to the side bacon. It comes in
> chunks or pre sliced.
>
> FWIW, it is only within the last year that I found Canadian bacon in a store
> here. Up to that point, I always thought that Canadian bacon was the
> American term for peameal.

I always thought it was too. My American relations always called
peameal bacon Canadian bacon when they were visiting us. What is
"Canadian bacon"?
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Dave Smith wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>> It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.

>>Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked pork loin. After curing it is
>>rolled in cornmeal then sliced thin or sliced thick depending on your
>>preference, and fried or you can bake the whole piece. It is easily
>>made yourself as already discussed in the peameal bacon thread.

> It is rolled in peameal. Hence the name.

Traditionally that was the case. Today it is rolled in cornmeal as a
google search will reveal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I never heard of peameal bacon until I read about it here. From what
> I've read on the web, what Americans think of as Canadian bacon is
> described as "imposter bacon" by Canadians.
>
> It sounds good, but very expensive , (over $25 per pound, shipped from
> Canada).
>
> It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.
>
> Brined or smoked meats are available here in meat stores They have
> smoked, brined, and fresh ham and pork loin (sometimes called Polish
> bacon). They're more expensive than anything you can find in large
> supermarkets, worth every penny, but nowhere near $25 per pound.
>

> I'd be glad to pay more for something that's extra special, but not for
> something I could find freshly made a few miles away. (Plus, I'd be
> supporting a local business person). : - )

Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked. The real item is indeed better than
any "Canadian" bacon I have found in the states. In Canada it is available
for $5-6 a pound in most any market. We bring back a suitcase-full each trip
then slice and freeze it.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>> > It looks kind of like fresh or brined pork loin.

>> Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked pork loin. After curing it is
>> rolled in cornmeal then sliced thin or sliced thick depending on your
>> preference, and fried or you can bake the whole piece. It is easily
>> made yourself as already discussed in the peameal bacon thread.

> It is rolled in peameal. Hence the name.

Not any more. It used to be but these days it is always cornmeal, at least
that is all I have been able to find in Toronto.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

~patches~ wrote:

> > It is rolled in peameal. Hence the name.
> >

> Traditionally that was the case. Today it is rolled in cornmeal as a
> google search will reveal.

By Jove. You're right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

~patches~ wrote:

> > I always thought it was too. My American relations always called
> > peameal bacon Canadian bacon when they were visiting us. What is
> > "Canadian bacon"?
> > John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
> >

> IMO, Canadian bacon is gross ham-like consistency thin slice stuff more
> popular in the US than Canada. It is a ruda awakening when you are
> expecting peameal bacon (Canadian bacon) and get the American version.
> Major ick!

Right you are. I discovered Canadian Bacon only recently. It was a smoked product
like ham, nothing at all like peameal bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Richard Kaszeta

"Peter Aitken" > writes:
> Peameal bacon is cured but not smoked. The real item is indeed better than
> any "Canadian" bacon I have found in the states. In Canada it is available
> for $5-6 a pound in most any market. We bring back a suitcase-full each trip
> then slice and freeze it.

I don't have trouble getting it in the states. My local coop and two
of the local specialty meat places carry a "Canadian bacon" that is
brined but not smoked, and virtually identical to what's sold as
"peameal bacon" across the border. But then again, I also live only
45 minutes from the Canadian border, and the places I get my meat from
are well above average.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The recipes I found look so simple, I'm going to try making it.

Does anyone have a favorite recipe or preference for the curing
ingredients?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 17 Nov 2005 15:46:51 -0800, "
> wrote:

>The recipes I found look so simple, I'm going to try making it.
>
>Does anyone have a favorite recipe or preference for the curing
>ingredients?

I tried to send you and email but it got kicked back. If you want
info on making peameal bacon, send me an email. I make it several
times a year in small quantities.
Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I sent an email. Haven't heard back.

Everything okay?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

wrote:
> I sent an email. Haven't heard back.
>
> Everything okay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 21 Nov 2005 17:56:13 -0800, "
> wrote:

>I sent an email. Haven't heard back.
>
>Everything okay? I did not receive your email .

My address is OK.
Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

trolling spammer

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 26 Nov 2005 17:42:12 -0800, wrote:

> trolling spammer

You can't say anything else? Janos... you are being killfiled
immeiately.

buhbye
<plonk>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon
Nov 21, 6:13 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: "Sheldon" > - Find messages by this author
Date: 21 Nov 2005 18:13:29 -0800
Subject: Peameal bacon... is it worth it?
original | Report Abuse

Allan Matthews
Nov 22, 5:02 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Allan Matthews > - Find messages
by this author
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:02:42 GMT
original | Report Abuse

My address is OK.
Allan

sf
Nov 26, 7:33 pm show options
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: sf > - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:33:33 -0800
original | Report Abuse

> trolling spammer

You can't say anything else? Janos... you are being killfiled
immeiately.

buhbye

Same 3 posters.
Lying, trolling, spammer.