Tara

Default Fourth of July Food

What did everyone eat? We had:

Grilled cheeseburgers
Potato salad
Baked beans
Coleslaw
Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
this one, which he pronounced good.)
Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
salt.)

Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
bar.

Tara

jmcquown

Tara wrote:
> What did everyone eat? We had:
>
> Grilled cheeseburgers
> Potato salad
> Baked beans
> Coleslaw
> Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
> I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
> this one, which he pronounced good.)
> Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
> salt.)
>
> Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
> bar.
>
> Tara

Hi Tara,

It poured down rain yesterday which spoiled my plans for grilling bratwurst
and yellow and zucchini squash. In fact, we had some rather severe
"warnings" going on here; the NWS was suggesting straight line winds up to
70 MPH (I call that more than WIND). The storms let up but the rain didn't
until well after dark.

So I'll be doing my cooking out today. Looks (so far) like we won't have
rain. This will be the first time in about 3 weeks we haven't had any. So,
I'll be grilling the brats (yes, I'll give them the requisite simmer in beer
for a few minutes first). I grill these indirectly over hot coals, turning
occasionally, until they are nicely browned and cooked through.

As for the squash, what I do with those is simple but delicious. After
slicing off the blossom and stem ends, I cut them into quarters. I really
love those Reynolds grilling sheets and use those for things like this. The
squash is lightly brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with salt & pepper.
(Sometimes in a fit of pique I will even sprinkle dried marjoram on them!)
Grill, skin side down first, for about 10 minutes, directly over the coals
(but on the foil). Then turn and grill cut side down. Brush with a little
more olive oil when turned. About another 10 minutes (or as needed) until
tender. The squash(es) brown a little bit on the outside and taste
fantastic. I adore grilled squash. It's got a naturally sweet taste.

Jill

Curly Sue

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>What did everyone eat? We had:

I just made spareribs (country-style). Cooked them in my little
charcoal grill with some soaked mesquite chips thrown in for the
smoke.

If it doesn't rain, I'll do the same for lunch today since I already
pulled the ribs from the freezer last night. Otherwise I'll have to
cook them in the oven.

Sue(tm)
JimLane

Tara wrote:
> What did everyone eat? We had:
>
> Grilled cheeseburgers
> Potato salad
> Baked beans
> Coleslaw
> Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
> I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
> this one, which he pronounced good.)
> Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
> salt.)
>
> Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
> bar.
>
> Tara

Hamburgers, bratwurst, hot dogs, marinated ham kabobs, potato salad,
ribs, hot wings, shrimp, chicken tenders, French fires, onion rings,
watermelon (and other melons), guacamole, salsas, dips, chips. . .

jim
sf

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 GMT, Tara
> wrote:

> What did everyone eat? We had:

<snip>
> Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
> bar.

We picniced with friends while waiting for the fireworks to
begin... the band played everything from Bob Dylan & Bruce
Springstein to '40s to Cajun to Texas Two Step music, so
there was something for everyone to enjoy listening to.

Food:
ribs
asparagus tart
pasta salad (with roasted baby eggplant & baby zucchini)
Green salad (mixed greens with all sorts of other stuff too)
topped with marinated shrimp
fresh strawberries
Watermelon
chocolate cupcakes
home made lemonade

Scott

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
> I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
> this one, which he pronounced good.)

And how was the watermelon that he pronounced good?

please mail OT responses only
Orion

"Tara" > wrote in message
> What did everyone eat? We had:
>
> Grilled cheeseburgers
> Potato salad
> Baked beans
> Coleslaw
> Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
> I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
> this one, which he pronounced good.)
> Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
> salt.)
>
> Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
> bar.
>
> Tara

grilled chicken, burgers, potatoe salad, corn on cob, choc cake. Was going
to be homemade ice cream, but didn't quite get off the ground.

Suzan

The Hacketts

"Tara" > wrote in message
: What did everyone eat? We had:
:
: Grilled cheeseburgers
: Potato salad
: Baked beans
: Coleslaw
: Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the
watermelon
: I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until
he found
: this one, which he pronounced good.)
: Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a
pinch of
: salt.)
:
: Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried
Snickers
: bar.
:
: Tara
: =====================

Oktoberfest Microbrew that we brewed back in... January (?).
Brats
German Potato Salad
Black Eyed Peas w/Green beans
Red, seedless Watermelon
K.C. Masterpiece Potato Chips
Double Chocolate (Girl) Brownies
We also had Rainbow and Pineapple Sherbet available - but I
forgot they were in the Freezer

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Michael Odom

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>What did everyone eat? We had:
>
>Grilled cheeseburgers
>Potato salad
>Baked beans
>Coleslaw
>Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
>I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
>this one, which he pronounced good.)
>Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
>salt.)
>
>Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
>bar.

We had:

Grilled grass-fed beef club steaks which I'd rubbed with lemon zest
and cracked peppercorns (black, pink, green, and white).

Grilled okra pods seasoned with soy sauce and lime juice.

A salad of sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes dressed with rice
vinegar, black pepper and minced fresh basil.

I had some fresh cherries for dessert, but D stayed away from them.

modom

"If you have a racist friend,
Now is the time, now is the time
For your friendship to end."
-- The Specials

Wayne

Michael Odom > wrote in
:

> Subject: Fourth of July Food
> From: Michael Odom >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 GMT, Tara > wrote:
>
>>What did everyone eat? We had:
>>
>>Grilled cheeseburgers
>>Potato salad
>>Baked beans
>>Coleslaw
>>Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
>>I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
>>this one, which he pronounced good.)
>>Homemade ice cream. (Next time, I think the recipe needs a pinch of
>>salt.)
>>
>>Later, at the Fourth of July celebration, I ate a deep-fried Snickers
>>bar.
>>

> We had:
>
> Grilled grass-fed beef club steaks which I'd rubbed with lemon zest
> and cracked peppercorns (black, pink, green, and white).
>
> Grilled okra pods seasoned with soy sauce and lime juice.

I have to try okra cooked this way!

> A salad of sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes dressed with rice
> vinegar, black pepper and minced fresh basil.
>
> I had some fresh cherries for dessert, but D stayed away from them.
>

> modom

We had two menus, one for those who eat pork and one for those who
don't...

barbequed spareribs, rubbed and mopped
potato salad
coleslaw

grilled filets (by request), also with cracked mixed peppercorns
rosin-cooked potatoes
thick slices of beefsteak tomatoes

grilled corn on the cob for both

desserts were sour cream raisin pie and lime cake with whipped cream

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
sf

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:30:56 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

> We were supposed to do a cookout, but the folks in charge of the food
> didn't get it together so we all went out for Indian food. It was the
> strangest restaurant I have ever been in - a combination Indian
> restaurant/Irish pub. The food (and the beer) was great).

LOL! Only in San Francisco!

Julian9EHP

Baked chicken (I started at 7:00 a.m., pulling off skin and fat)
Baked carrots
Pita
Flavored sparkling water
My mother brought a cake

E. P.
Tara

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:39:53 GMT, Scott >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Tara > wrote:
>
>> Watermelon (Some old man at the grocery store rejected the watermelon
>> I had put in my cart and thumped a bunch of watermelons until he found
>> this one, which he pronounced good.)

>And how was the watermelon that he pronounced good?

It was good!

Tara

Chuck

Our local here in Inverness has several Indian dishes on the menu. Chicken
Tikka Masala and Chicken or Lamb Balti.

Also a couple of Mexican dishes and several pastas (more or less Italian).

All set against traditional pub grub.

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:30:56 GMT, Donna Rose
> > wrote:
>
> > We were supposed to do a cookout, but the folks in charge of the food
> > didn't get it together so we all went out for Indian food. It was the
> > strangest restaurant I have ever been in - a combination Indian
> > restaurant/Irish pub. The food (and the beer) was great).

> LOL! Only in San Francisco!
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf

Just read in the paper that we have a Turkish restaurant on
West Portal Ave! I'm eager to try it - maybe tomorrow.

```````````````````

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:35:13 +0000 (UTC), "Chuck"
> wrote:

> Our local here in Inverness has several Indian dishes on the menu. Chicken
> Tikka Masala and Chicken or Lamb Balti.
>
> Also a couple of Mexican dishes and several pastas (more or less Italian).
>
> All set against traditional pub grub.
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:30:56 GMT, Donna Rose
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > We were supposed to do a cookout, but the folks in charge of the food
> > > didn't get it together so we all went out for Indian food. It was the
> > > strangest restaurant I have ever been in - a combination Indian
> > > restaurant/Irish pub. The food (and the beer) was great).

> > LOL! Only in San Francisco!
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf

Just read in the paper that we have a Turkish restaurant on
West Portal Ave! I'm eager to try it - maybe tomorrow.

```````````````````

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:35:13 +0000 (UTC), "Chuck"
> wrote:

> Our local here in Inverness has several Indian dishes on the menu. Chicken
> Tikka Masala and Chicken or Lamb Balti.
>
> Also a couple of Mexican dishes and several pastas (more or less Italian).
>
> All set against traditional pub grub.
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:30:56 GMT, Donna Rose
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > We were supposed to do a cookout, but the folks in charge of the food
> > > didn't get it together so we all went out for Indian food. It was the
> > > strangest restaurant I have ever been in - a combination Indian
> > > restaurant/Irish pub. The food (and the beer) was great).

> > LOL! Only in San Francisco!
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Martin Golding

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:

> What did everyone eat?

We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

Chicken shwarma (middle eastern gyros. For speed and convenience, we
julienned and stirfried rather than spitting it.)
falafel (ceci croquettes)
tabbouli (parsley, mint, bulgur and tomato dressed with olive oil and
lime juice)
greek salad (lettuce, feta, fresh oregano, dried tomatoes and black
olives, olive oil and lime juice)
baklava

We couldn't find decent pita in the northwest (all the brands we tried
neither split nor rolled) so we used wheat tortillas.

The low carb option was shwarma in low carb tortillas and greek salad.
The vegan option was falafel and tabbouli. I was ready in case anybody
asked about low fat "I'm sorry, you appear to be using some dialect of
English with which I am unfamiliar" but they know me too well to ask.

We'd been hoping to develop a remotely baklava like dessert based
on Splenda sweetened flax meal but didn't have time for the research,
so low carb dessert was several brands of not too bad soy meal cookies
from the low carb store.

Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
--
Martin Golding | If there were a God,
DoD #236 | cocoa butter would be monounsaturated.

Martin Golding

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:

> What did everyone eat?

We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

Chicken shwarma (middle eastern gyros. For speed and convenience, we
julienned and stirfried rather than spitting it.)
falafel (ceci croquettes)
tabbouli (parsley, mint, bulgur and tomato dressed with olive oil and
lime juice)
greek salad (lettuce, feta, fresh oregano, dried tomatoes and black
olives, olive oil and lime juice)
baklava

We couldn't find decent pita in the northwest (all the brands we tried
neither split nor rolled) so we used wheat tortillas.

The low carb option was shwarma in low carb tortillas and greek salad.
The vegan option was falafel and tabbouli. I was ready in case anybody
asked about low fat "I'm sorry, you appear to be using some dialect of
English with which I am unfamiliar" but they know me too well to ask.

We'd been hoping to develop a remotely baklava like dessert based
on Splenda sweetened flax meal but didn't have time for the research,
so low carb dessert was several brands of not too bad soy meal cookies
from the low carb store.

Martin (215/163/165 since 4/2003)
--
Martin Golding | If there were a God,
DoD #236 | cocoa butter would be monounsaturated.

PENMART01

>Martin "braggart" Golding boasts:
>
>We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

Most people are lucky if they can count their friends on the fingers of their
two hands, close freinds on the fingers of one hand and closest (best) friends
no more than they have thumbs... you are either one with extremely low
expectations for what constitutes a friend or a big fat liar... and I already
know from past experience that you are unequivocally a big fat liar. Sixty
five closest friends indeed... r u nuts, that's well beyond exaggeration... you
lying SHALLOW douche bag.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Van

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:
>
> > What did everyone eat?

> We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

We made dinner for (also) about 65 people, of whom only about 10 were
acutual friends. Not sure how 'close' they would be had we not been serving
food and had the pool heated to the upper 80s.

For lunch we had pulled pork sammiches from butts smoked the day before. I
used the Dinosaur BBQ "Cajun Foreplay" rub on 'em. This was for the very
few who showed up early to help set up (and swim).

For dinner, I made Cornell Chicken (cooked on a 3-block-high block pit for 2
hours) - 70 halves (similar to 'Brooks BBQ" - but better), plus
corn-on-the-cob & salt potatoes. We also provided 2 kegs o' brew. Several
of the 'friends' brought a dish-to-pass like salads, beans, etc. My memory
fails me probably because when it was time to eat, I had been flippin'
chicken racks & sippin Scotch for 2 hours.

I guess a good time was had by all: most threatened to come back again. In
the early 80's we did this every July 4th (one year over 130 epople!) like
clockwork. The first year we *didn't* have a July 4th party I got attitude
from people who thought that we had had the party and didn't invite *them*!

Happy weekend, all!,

Van

Van

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:
>
> > What did everyone eat?

> We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

We made dinner for (also) about 65 people, of whom only about 10 were
acutual friends. Not sure how 'close' they would be had we not been serving
food and had the pool heated to the upper 80s.

For lunch we had pulled pork sammiches from butts smoked the day before. I
used the Dinosaur BBQ "Cajun Foreplay" rub on 'em. This was for the very
few who showed up early to help set up (and swim).

For dinner, I made Cornell Chicken (cooked on a 3-block-high block pit for 2
hours) - 70 halves (similar to 'Brooks BBQ" - but better), plus
corn-on-the-cob & salt potatoes. We also provided 2 kegs o' brew. Several
of the 'friends' brought a dish-to-pass like salads, beans, etc. My memory
fails me probably because when it was time to eat, I had been flippin'
chicken racks & sippin Scotch for 2 hours.

I guess a good time was had by all: most threatened to come back again. In
the early 80's we did this every July 4th (one year over 130 epople!) like
clockwork. The first year we *didn't* have a July 4th party I got attitude
from people who thought that we had had the party and didn't invite *them*!

Happy weekend, all!,

Van

JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Martin "braggart" Golding boasts:
>>
>>We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

> Most people are lucky if they can count their friends on the fingers of their
> two hands, close freinds on the fingers of one hand and closest (best) friends
> no more than they have thumbs... you are either one with extremely low
> expectations for what constitutes a friend or a big fat liar... and I already
> know from past experience that you are unequivocally a big fat liar. Sixty
> five closest friends indeed... r u nuts, that's well beyond exaggeration... you
> lying SHALLOW douche bag.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

And your totals are 0, 0 and 0. Sheldon, the most shunned on usenet.

jim
JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:
>>Martin "braggart" Golding boasts:
>>
>>We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

> Most people are lucky if they can count their friends on the fingers of their
> two hands, close freinds on the fingers of one hand and closest (best) friends
> no more than they have thumbs... you are either one with extremely low
> expectations for what constitutes a friend or a big fat liar... and I already
> know from past experience that you are unequivocally a big fat liar. Sixty
> five closest friends indeed... r u nuts, that's well beyond exaggeration... you
> lying SHALLOW douche bag.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

And your totals are 0, 0 and 0. Sheldon, the most shunned on usenet.

jim
Martin Golding

PENMART01 wrote:
>Martin "braggart" Golding boasts:
>>We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

> Most people are lucky if they can count their friends on the fingers of their
> two hands, close freinds on the fingers of one hand and closest (best) friends
> no more than they have thumbs...

That would be unfortunate for them, unless of course they were satisfied
with that. You're welcome to your near-hermitic existence, if it pleases
you. I've been there, I like now better.

> you are either one with extremely low
> expectations for what constitutes a friend or a big fat liar...

The only thing you know about me is that
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
that you have contradicted me you have been abysmally, easily correctably,
not to imply stupidly, wrong.

> and I already
> know from past experience that you are unequivocally a big fat liar.

That's _funny_, given that
EVERY
SINGLE
TIME
that you have contradicted me you have been abysmally, easily correctably,
not to imply stupidly, wrong, and at least once you've accompanied your
ravings with links to data that PROVED you were wrong. Or do you not recall
your misguided ravings about umami?

> Sixty
> five closest friends indeed... r u nuts, that's well beyond exaggeration...
> you lying SHALLOW douche bag.

I quote an old friend:
"I'm smarter than you, better looking than you, nicer than you, and gosh
darn it, people LIKE me."

Deal with it.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | People only like us
DBS #1 MAB #2 SMTC #3 KotLQ KotSM | because we have interesting friends.

Martin Golding