Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

Default Vietnamese anyone?

In an earlier life I was working as adult ed consultant at a school that
was teaching German to Vietnamese boat people - and as a direct result I
got invited to quite a lot of Vietnamese banquets. Which I really
enjoyed, and I got quite a few hints and tips on how to prepare some of
the dishes.

There are a couple of issues, however, where my memory fails. One thing
is the [pastry] for lack of a better word. A lot of dishes were similar
to spring rolls, but they were things bundled in a white
pastry/pasta/whatever and then boiled or steamed rather than deep fried.
Grab with chopsticks, dunk in fish sauce and eat. Delicious. But I
cannot for the life of me remember how to make that coating. Rice flour
and hot water is what has stuck but I am at a loss as to method ?!?

The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
playing tricks on me?

If anyone has a good link on how-tos I'd appreciate it. I think I can
remember well enough what it should taste like to be able to experiment
successfully with a few memory refreshers.

cheers, -Peter

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article > ,
Peter Huebner > wrote:

> There are a couple of issues, however, where my memory fails. One thing
> is the [pastry] for lack of a better word. A lot of dishes were similar
> to spring rolls, but they were things bundled in a white
> pastry/pasta/whatever and then boiled or steamed rather than deep fried.
> Grab with chopsticks, dunk in fish sauce and eat. Delicious. But I
> cannot for the life of me remember how to make that coating. Rice flour
> and hot water is what has stuck but I am at a loss as to method ?!?

Rice wrappers. I've never met anyone who made them, you buy them at the
store.

> The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
> quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
> to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
> playing tricks on me?

For me, a little fish sauce goes a long ways. I usually ask that it be
omitted. When I get those rolls I ask for peanut sauce instead. Fish
sauce is on the table, in little pots.

We have a nice place a few blocks from our house. At first they were
really cheap but I left hungry. I think you were supposed to order
multiple dishes. Over the years the prices have gone up, along with the
portion size.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
dwãçôn

I would enjoy a bowl of pho and a café su da right now...

Also, Siracha sauce is now a staple in my house -- right next to the
ketchup.

--
Jessica Alba NAKED
http://sheendigital.com/alba/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
rmg

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...

> The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
> quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
> to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
> playing tricks on me?
>
> If anyone has a good link on how-tos I'd appreciate it. I think I can
> remember well enough what it should taste like to be able to experiment
> successfully with a few memory refreshers.

Authentic Vietnamese Cooking - by Corinne Trang

That resource is a great one. The recipes are classic, simple and
straightforward.

Regarding fish sauce, I consider it essential to the seasoning in certain
dishes. There are a wide variety of fish sauces, from cheap-o to good
quality. Research a good quality fish sauce and it shouldn't overpower your
other ingredients. Have fun.

cheers,

rox

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...

> In an earlier life I was working as adult ed consultant at a school that
> was teaching German to Vietnamese boat people - and as a direct result I
> got invited to quite a lot of Vietnamese banquets. Which I really
> enjoyed, and I got quite a few hints and tips on how to prepare some of
> the dishes.
>
> There are a couple of issues, however, where my memory fails. One thing
> is the [pastry] for lack of a better word. A lot of dishes were similar
> to spring rolls, but they were things bundled in a white
> pastry/pasta/whatever and then boiled or steamed rather than deep fried.
> Grab with chopsticks, dunk in fish sauce and eat. Delicious. But I
> cannot for the life of me remember how to make that coating. Rice flour
> and hot water is what has stuck but I am at a loss as to method ?!?
>
> The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
> quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
> to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
> playing tricks on me?
>
> If anyone has a good link on how-tos I'd appreciate it. I think I can
> remember well enough what it should taste like to be able to experiment
> successfully with a few memory refreshers.
>
> cheers, -Peter

Would this help, do you think? -

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...cgi?vietnamese

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Clay Irving

On 2005-11-12, limey > wrote:

> "Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
> t...

>> In an earlier life I was working as adult ed consultant at a school that
>> was teaching German to Vietnamese boat people - and as a direct result I
>> got invited to quite a lot of Vietnamese banquets. Which I really
>> enjoyed, and I got quite a few hints and tips on how to prepare some of
>> the dishes.
>>
>> There are a couple of issues, however, where my memory fails. One thing
>> is the [pastry] for lack of a better word. A lot of dishes were similar
>> to spring rolls, but they were things bundled in a white
>> pastry/pasta/whatever and then boiled or steamed rather than deep fried.
>> Grab with chopsticks, dunk in fish sauce and eat. Delicious. But I
>> cannot for the life of me remember how to make that coating. Rice flour
>> and hot water is what has stuck but I am at a loss as to method ?!?
>>
>> The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
>> quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
>> to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
>> playing tricks on me?
>>
>> If anyone has a good link on how-tos I'd appreciate it. I think I can
>> remember well enough what it should taste like to be able to experiment
>> successfully with a few memory refreshers.
>>
>> cheers, -Peter

> Would this help, do you think? -
>
> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...cgi?vietnamese

And, for information about fish sauce:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...cgi?fish-sauce

I also found this useful information about the difference between Thai
and Vietnamese fish sauce:

Also keep in mind that fish sauce is also used in Thai and Filipino
cooking, where it tends to be saltier and heavier in flavor. So, even
though Thailand produces most of the fish sauce sold in the U.S., you
need to make sure that the condiment you're buying is made in the
'Vietnamese' style. How to do this? Look for Vietnamese
lettering alongside the Thai script. Sometimes, the terms Phu Quoc
and Phan Thiet are included on the label to signal a connection with
these two famous fish sauce-producing areas in Vietnam. Fish sauce
from Vietnam now sometimes use "Hon Phu Quoc" or "Hon Phan Thiet" (see
image on left) to indicate that their product came from islands in
those regions; hon means islands, and communicates a more authentic
Viet condiment (versus a Thai product, which may not be clued in on
such linguistic subtleties).

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/essentials.htm

--
Clay Irving >
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Clay Irving" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>
>> "Peter Huebner" wrote in message
>> >
>>> In an earlier life I was working as adult ed consultant at a school that
>>> was teaching German to Vietnamese boat people - and as a direct result I
>>> got invited to quite a lot of Vietnamese banquets. Which I really
>>> enjoyed, and I got quite a few hints and tips on how to prepare some of
>>> the dishes.
>>>
>>> There are a couple of issues, however, where my memory fails. One thing
>>> is the [pastry] for lack of a better word. A lot of dishes were similar
>>> to spring rolls, but they were things bundled in a white
>>> pastry/pasta/whatever and then boiled or steamed rather than deep fried.
>>> Grab with chopsticks, dunk in fish sauce and eat. Delicious. But I
>>> cannot for the life of me remember how to make that coating. Rice flour
>>> and hot water is what has stuck but I am at a loss as to method ?!?
>>>
>>> The other thing I am wondering about is the fish sauce. I remember it as
>>> quite different from Thai fish sauce which is the only I have been able
>>> to obtain here in NZ so far. Are they really different, or is my memory
>>> playing tricks on me?
>>>
>>> If anyone has a good link on how-tos I'd appreciate it. I think I can
>>> remember well enough what it should taste like to be able to experiment
>>> successfully with a few memory refreshers.
>>>
>>> cheers, -Peter

>> Would this help, do you think? -
>>
>> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...cgi?vietnamese

> And, for information about fish sauce:
>
> http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/...cgi?fish-sauce
>
> I also found this useful information about the difference between Thai
> and Vietnamese fish sauce:
>
> Also keep in mind that fish sauce is also used in Thai and Filipino
> cooking, where it tends to be saltier and heavier in flavor. So, even
> though Thailand produces most of the fish sauce sold in the U.S., you
> need to make sure that the condiment you're buying is made in the
> 'Vietnamese' style. How to do this? Look for Vietnamese
> lettering alongside the Thai script. Sometimes, the terms Phu Quoc
> and Phan Thiet are included on the label to signal a connection with
> these two famous fish sauce-producing areas in Vietnam. Fish sauce
> from Vietnam now sometimes use "Hon Phu Quoc" or "Hon Phan Thiet" (see
> image on left) to indicate that their product came from islands in
> those regions; hon means islands, and communicates a more authentic
> Viet condiment (versus a Thai product, which may not be clued in on
> such linguistic subtleties).
>
> http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/essentials.htm
>
> --
> Clay Irving >

My goodness, you are Clay, of Clay's Kitchen? I have your web site in my
Favorites and on my Desktop, since a friend is from Peru and also I am
trying to learn Thai cooking! The link I just gave Peter Huebner was taken
from your web page.

It's a good site. Thank you.

Dora

Why do Vietnamese want porcupines? Mark Thorson General Cooking 8 05-02-2012 04:15 AM
vietnamese pho kauai Asian Cooking 2 28-05-2008 09:38 PM
Vietnamese Tea Scott Dorsey Tea 11 14-06-2005 06:23 AM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM
Vietnamese recipes? GregoryD General Cooking 0 07-01-2005 11:59 AM