Jeff

Default BBQ Debate: Charcoal or gas?

As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.

"In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.

http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

--
Cheers,
--Jeff
Mr. Wizard

"Jeff" > wrote in message

> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.

I have a gas grill for cold weather and use charcoal otherwise.
Much better flavor.

marty mcmahone

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.

It isn't even close for taste. Charcoal is much better. OTOH, I grill a
whole lot more with my gas grill.

Charcoal > Gas but

A lot of gas BBQ > a little charcoal + a lot of oven broiled

Marty

Katra

In article >,
Jeff > wrote:

> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
>
> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

So what is wrong with a good old fashioned wood fire? :-)
I have TONS of firewood from pruning etc. (plus I landed a truckload of
Pecan wood when they took some trees down at work) and I find I get a
hotter bed of coals off of a wood fire...

And it tastes mighty good!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Cornhuskeress

Mr. Wizard wrote:
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>
>> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
>> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
>> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
>>

> I have a gas grill for cold weather and use charcoal otherwise.
> Much better flavor.

Charcoal >>>>>>>>> gas for grilling.

--

Geri

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."
- Hillary Clinton

Curly Sue

On 3 Jul 2004 06:26:05 -0700, Jeff > wrote:

>As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
>to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
>politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
>"In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
>you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
>'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.

On 3 Jul 2004 06:26:05 -0700, Jeff > wrote:

>As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
>to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
>politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
>"In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
>you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
>'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.

People I know who cook in their backyards in the summer are more
interested in things other than whether their grilling meets up to
anyone else's standards of authenticity.

I've never heard such a debate or complaints from guests. I have a
charcoal grill myself, but I do appreciate the offerings from a gas
grill. If I had a gas grill I'd surely grill more often because of
the convenience.

It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.

The rest of us don't care. It's not that we couldn't appreciate it;
it's just not a priority. :>

Sue(tm)
BOB

It's a crossposted TROLL

\|||/
(o o)
,----ooO--(_)-------.
> Please |
> don't feed the |
> TROLLs! |

'--------------Ooo--'
|__|__|
|| ||
ooO Ooo

StephenJ

This is lame trolling. We all know gas is for suburban yuppies and has
nothing to do with real bbq.

--
The banking industry is an infinity of successive
felonious larcenies

- Thomas Jefferson

>"Jeff" > wrote in message

> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
>
> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> --Jeff

Andrew Smith

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
>
> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

hickory > charcoal >>>>>>>>>> gas

a.

Steve Cutchen

In article >, Jeff
> wrote:

> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>
> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
>
> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

Heat is heat.

But smoke is not smoke.

BBQ involves slow cooking over indirect heat at low temperatures and
the smkoe is important.

Typically BBQ involves a remove firebox.

So lets assume you mean grilling, not BBQing. And assume you mean
straight charcoal and no chips to give flavoring via the smoke.

Charcoal does not add to flavor. In fact, depending on how you light
it, you can get residual bad flavor from lighter fluid. This is why
starting charcoal in a chimneyt is a good idea. No fluid. But the
charcoal itself does not smoke nor contrubute to flavor.

So if charcoal does not add flavor, what does?

The vaporization of the drippings from the meat and the charring of the
meat from the heat.

Depending on the type of internals, a gas grill can do grilling the
same way as a charcoal grill. It needs to be a grill that properly
vaporizes the drippings.

The huge advantage to a charcoal grill is heat regulation. Douse coals
with water and heat stops. Controlling flareups on a gas grill can be
more difficult, again depending on the design.

Nancy Young

StephenJ wrote:

> This is lame trolling. We all know gas is for suburban yuppies and has
> nothing to do with real bbq.

You can't really be suburban *and* a yuppie.

nancy
BOB

Curly Sue wrote:
> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.

And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat.

Steve Cutchen

In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> wrote:

> "suburban yuppies"

Christian Muslims?

Miami Gators?

yup == young URBAN professionals
Steve Cutchen

In article >, Steve Cutchen
> wrote:

> In article >, Jeff
> > wrote:
>
> > As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> > to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> > politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
> >
> > "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> > you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> > 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
> >
> > http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

> Heat is heat.
>
> But smoke is not smoke.
>
> BBQ involves slow cooking over indirect heat at low temperatures and
> the smkoe is important.
>
> Typically BBQ involves a remove firebox.

...remote... <sigh>

> So lets assume you mean grilling, not BBQing. And assume you mean
> straight charcoal and no chips to give flavoring via the smoke.
>
> Charcoal does not add to flavor. In fact, depending on how you light
> it, you can get residual bad flavor from lighter fluid. This is why
> starting charcoal in a chimneyt is a good idea. No fluid. But the
> charcoal itself does not smoke nor contrubute to flavor.
>
> So if charcoal does not add flavor, what does?
>
> The vaporization of the drippings from the meat and the charring of the
> meat from the heat.
>
> Depending on the type of internals, a gas grill can do grilling the
> same way as a charcoal grill. It needs to be a grill that properly
> vaporizes the drippings.
>
> The huge advantage to a charcoal grill is heat regulation. Douse coals
> with water and heat stops. Controlling flareups on a gas grill can be
> more difficult, again depending on the design.

Curly Sue

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:54:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
>> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.

>And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
>crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
>clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat.

No, we are talking about grilling in the backyard. You are assuming
that grilled food is "crap" because it doesn't conform to your idea of
"Q" (Q, isn't that Q-te?). Why does it bother you so much that people
happily grill hamburgers in the backyard with un-"authentic"
equipment? GAL!

Sue(tm)

BOB

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:54:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:
>>> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
>>> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.

> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.
> The rest of us don't care.

I snipped too much the first time.

>> And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
>> crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
>> clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat.

> No, we are talking about grilling in the backyard. You are assuming
> that grilled food is "crap" because it doesn't conform to your idea of
> "Q" (Q, isn't that Q-te?). Why does it bother you so much that people
> happily grill hamburgers in the backyard with un-"authentic"
> equipment? GAL!

But, if people lower their standards, then they will have lower standards even
when they eat out.

I *expect* much better food at home (off the grill) than at a restaurant, so I
keep my standards higher.

Grilled hamburgers ain't BBQ, and that premise is in the subject of this
discussion

BOB
and like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, it's a troll

Michael

"Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
> In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> > wrote:
>
> > "suburban yuppies"

> Christian Muslims?
>
> Miami Gators?

Dancing Bapists?

Fighting Mormons?

> yup == young URBAN professionals

Curly Sue

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:32:04 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:54:48 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>>
>>> Curly Sue wrote:

>> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
>> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.
>> The rest of us don't care.

>I snipped too much the first time.
>>>
>>> And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
>>> crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
>>> clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat.

>> No, we are talking about grilling in the backyard. You are assuming
>> that grilled food is "crap" because it doesn't conform to your idea of
>> "Q" (Q, isn't that Q-te?). Why does it bother you so much that people
>> happily grill hamburgers in the backyard with un-"authentic"
>> equipment? GAL!

>But, if people lower their standards, then they will have lower standards even
>when they eat out.
>
>I *expect* much better food at home (off the grill) than at a restaurant, so I
>keep my standards higher.

With some dishes it's easier to have better food at home; in other
cases the restaurant chef has access to better ingredients and/or the
home equipment and kitchen isn't up to preparation of certain items.
I suspect that is the case with your authentic BBQ. The rest of us do
what we can, but it doesn't make it "crap." It's good food and we
don't care that cookbook authors and BBQ purists turn up their noses.

>Grilled hamburgers ain't BBQ, and that premise is in the subject of this
>discussion

The OP mixed his metaphors in the first paragraph, talking about
grilled hamburgers and chicken.

>BOB
>and like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, it's a troll

You seem to be taking it seriously though.

Sue(tm)
MoPaMaN

"Andrew Smith" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
> > As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday weekend
> > to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt - not about
> > politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
> >
> > "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke flavor,
> > you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven Raichlen, author of
> > 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling cookbooks.
> >
> > http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

> hickory > charcoal >>>>>>>>>> gas
>
> a.

Pussie>>>>>>BBQ

--
MoParMaN-
-Remove Clothes To Reply!

Jefferson N. Glapski

That isn't the ****ing debate. Wood vs. Natural Lump is the debate.

--
Jefferson

"But it's hard as hell not to be some kind of redneck bigot sometimes..."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight

"95% of the 100 rudest people I've encountered in the last year have been
middle-aged black women. It just strikes me as unfortunately
disproportionate..."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight

"As I predicted, the General Assembly will vote to take down the flag from
the dome of the State House and the boycott organized by the NAACP
will continue because they won't be happy until the memory of the
Confederacy is erased from our cultural landscape. I'm holding out hope
that removal of the flag and subsequent continuation of economic sanctions
will reveal the NAACP for what it is; but somehow I doubt it..."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight

"All this over the supposed moral outrage over an institution slowly dying
of its own weight anyway (and countenanced in the North even after the
so-called Emancipation Proclamation)."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight

"I hope it isn't racist of me to point out that some white Southerners, even
some slave owners, treated blacks as fellow human beings. The evil
of legal ownership was indeed still present and resulted in a feeling of
superiority among whites, but not all of them were cruel and harsh.
Many of them were simply doing what they learned was proper. Remember that
the South was (and is) an extremely religious section, and the
fact remains that slavery is sanctioned and its details legislated, by the
Christian God, according to the Old Testament."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight

"I'm not sure I see any factual errors there, however."
-Trevor Zion Bauknight, commenting on the following anti-Semitic webpage:
http://www.muslimedia.com/archives/f...s98/slaves.htm

BOB

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:32:04 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:

>>> It's my impression that people who write BBQ cookbooks and/or who have
>>> the setup for serious BBQ are the ones worried about authenticity.
>>> The rest of us don't care.

>> I snipped too much the first time.

>>> No, we are talking about grilling in the backyard. You are assuming
>>> that grilled food is "crap" because it doesn't conform to your idea of
>>> "Q" (Q, isn't that Q-te?). Why does it bother you so much that people
>>> happily grill hamburgers in the backyard with un-"authentic"
>>> equipment? GAL!

>> But, if people lower their standards, then they will have lower standards

even
>> when they eat out.
>>
>> I *expect* much better food at home (off the grill) than at a restaurant, so

>> keep my standards higher.

> With some dishes it's easier to have better food at home; in other
> cases the restaurant chef has access to better ingredients and/or the
> home equipment and kitchen isn't up to preparation of certain items.

Time is the only criteria that I see as being the limiting factor. In fact,
barbecue, by definition, uses inferior, tough, fatty (and usually cheaper) cuts
of meat.

> I suspect that is the case with your authentic BBQ. The rest of us do
> what we can, but it doesn't make it "crap."

The "specialized" equipment to make "authentic" BBQ can cost as little as $100
USD (or even less). That's probably a lot less than most have paid for their
inferior gasser equipment that can perform only one function, and even then, not
perform that function well.

> It's good food and we
> don't care that cookbook authors and BBQ purists turn up their noses.

Back to my original comment to you:
"And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat."

If people like to eat crap, then they will continue to eat crap.

>> Grilled hamburgers ain't BBQ, and that premise is in the subject of this
>> discussion

> The OP mixed his metaphors in the first paragraph, talking about
> grilled hamburgers and chicken.
>
>> BOB
>> and like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, it's a troll

> You seem to be taking it seriously though.

I *DO* take barbecue very seriously. Many other foods, not so seriously.
But, I cut out *ALL* of the crossposting (thank you, Sue, for cutting the
obvious TROLL group)

BOB

Curly Sue

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 12:19:35 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:32:04 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>>> I *expect* much better food at home (off the grill) than at a restaurant, so

>>> keep my standards higher.

>> With some dishes it's easier to have better food at home; in other
>> cases the restaurant chef has access to better ingredients and/or the
>> home equipment and kitchen isn't up to preparation of certain items.

>Time is the only criteria that I see as being the limiting factor. In fact,
>barbecue, by definition, uses inferior, tough, fatty (and usually cheaper) cuts
>of meat.

OK, then the restaurant chef has more time to spend on particular
items. The BBQ hobbyist chooses to spend time on BBQ.

>> I suspect that is the case with your authentic BBQ. The rest of us do
>> what we can, but it doesn't make it "crap."

>The "specialized" equipment to make "authentic" BBQ can cost as little as $100
>USD (or even less). That's probably a lot less than most have paid for their
>inferior gasser equipment that can perform only one function, and even then, not
>perform that function well.

I went to the FAQ to check out the equipment info. Bottom line, it
never ends. They start out telling you that it's not the pit, it's
the "pitmaster" (gag). They say you can do it with a $50 recycled
barrel. Then after you buy a little smoker, it turns out that what
you bought isn't good enough. If you bought electric, then there is
nothing like the type where you feed it logs every hour. And on and
on....

>> It's good food and we
>> don't care that cookbook authors and BBQ purists turn up their noses.

>Back to my original comment to you:
>"And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
>crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
>clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat."
>
>If people like to eat crap, then they will continue to eat crap.

And I still disagree with the opinion, the sentiment, and the
vulgarity. Repeating it isn't going to change anyone's mind or make
it correct.

>>> Grilled hamburgers ain't BBQ, and that premise is in the subject of this
>>> discussion

>> The OP mixed his metaphors in the first paragraph, talking about
>> grilled hamburgers and chicken.
>>
>>> BOB
>>> and like I mentioned in my first post to this thread, it's a troll

>> You seem to be taking it seriously though.

>I *DO* take barbecue very seriously. Many other foods, not so seriously.

That's fine and it's a nice pasttime. But insulting people who don't
share your hobby isn't going to improve your own situation with regard
to BBQ, so I don't understand the motivation.

Sue(tm)
Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
> In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> > wrote:
>
> > "suburban yuppies"

> Christian Muslims?
>
> Miami Gators?
>
> yup == young URBAN professionals

I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

Jefferson N. Glapski

"Jeff" > wrote in message
> Yer mother was a hamster and yer father smelt of elderberries,
> "Jefferson N. Glapski" >!
>
> > "Jeff" > wrote in message
> >> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday
> >> weekend to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt
> >> - not about politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
> >>
> >> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke
> >> flavor, you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven
> >> Raichlen, author of 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling
> >> cookbooks.
> >>
> >> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

> > That isn't the ****ing debate. Wood vs. Natural Lump is the
> > debate.

> The man's an expret. Wrote a book! I'll believe an expret before some
> dumnass Canadian.

I'm as much a Canadian as someone from Syracuse is an Orangeman.

[...]

Jeff

Yer mother was a hamster and yer father smelt of elderberries,
"Jefferson N. Glapski" >!

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this holiday
>> weekend to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a debate may erupt
>> - not about politics or sports, but charcoal vs. gas.
>>
>> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke
>> flavor, you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven
>> Raichlen, author of 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other grilling
>> cookbooks.
>>
>> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

> That isn't the ****ing debate. Wood vs. Natural Lump is the
> debate.

The man's an expret. Wrote a book! I'll believe an expret before some
dumnass Canadian.

--
Cheers,
--Jeff

Phillip A. Kallas

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in message

> "Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
> > In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "suburban yuppies"

> > Christian Muslims?
> >
> > Miami Gators?
> >
> > yup == young URBAN professionals

> I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

I always remembered them as "Easy to pick off with a rifle".

--
Phillip A. Kallas, Usenet's Most Eligible Bachelor

"No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Love should be lusty and hurtful."

"No matter what anyone tells you kids, sex is always better without
condoms."- Devlin

George B. Ross

Jefferson N. Glapski )
opined:

> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> As family and friends gather on decks and patios this
>> holiday weekend to eat grilled burgers and chicken, a
>> debate may erupt - not about politics or sports, but
>> charcoal vs. gas.
>>
>> "In order to accomplish the true, authentic barbecue smoke
>> flavor, you have to use a charcoal grill," says Steven
>> Raichlen, author of 'The Barbecue! Bible' and other
>> grilling cookbooks.
>>
>> http://enquirer.com/editions/2004/07...c_grill03.html

> That isn't the ****ing debate. Wood vs. Natural Lump is the
> debate.

Preach it Brother Jefferson.

I use lump for grilling and wood for smoking (cherry, maple,
oak, hickory) with some lump tossed in every once in awhile if I
let my fire burn down too low.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bits for email
sf

wrote:

> Back to my original comment to you:
> "And here we have the reason these commercialized, ain't worth eatin,
> crap for Q restaurants are springin up all over the place. Their
> clientele just don't care what crap they'll eat."

I think you're forgetting about all the people who don't
have backyards in which to Q, which leaves them back at
restaurant food for Q.

> If people like to eat crap, then they will continue to eat crap.

Some of that crap is pretty darn good.... not sure where
you're tossing your barbs, but I'm sure a lot of people here
who know rib joints they think offer up superb Q.

Steve Cutchen

In article >, Chris and Bob
Neidecker > wrote:

> "Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
> > In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "suburban yuppies"

> > Christian Muslims?
> >
> > Miami Gators?
> >
> > yup == young URBAN professionals

> I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

A google reveals both in common usage. But I recall at the time it was
definitely "urban". It was all about folks moving into the city and
resurrecting older neighborhoods.

In Houston, it was typically in the Heights and folks doing teardowns
in West U.
sf

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:51:10 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> StephenJ wrote:
> >
> > This is lame trolling. We all know gas is for suburban yuppies and has
> > nothing to do with real bbq.

> You can't really be suburban *and* a yuppie.

Maybe they commute.

sf

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 08:43:21 -0700, "Michael"
> wrote:

> "Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
> > In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > "suburban yuppies"

> > Christian Muslims?
> >
> > Miami Gators?
> >

> Dancing Bapists?
>
> Fighting Mormons?

Jews for Jesus?

> > yup == young URBAN professionals

sf

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:50:34 GMT, Steve Cutchen
> wrote:

> So lets assume you mean grilling, not BBQing. And assume you mean
> straight charcoal and no chips to give flavoring via the smoke.

The rest of us call it s-l-o-w cooking... and when invited
never turn up our noses at that kind of Q or offer up
virulent criticism about how they've hyjacked our acroynm.
With that said, we will continue throw our burgers on our
charcoal grills and unabashedly call it bbq.

Nancy Young

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:51:10 -0400, Nancy Young

> > You can't really be suburban *and* a yuppie.
> >

> Maybe they commute.

They're still suburbanites, not that there is anything wrong with
that.

nancy (sub and proud)
Nancy Young

Steve Cutchen wrote:

> In article >, Chris and Bob

> > I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

> A google reveals both in common usage. But I recall at the time it was
> definitely "urban". It was all about folks moving into the city and
> resurrecting older neighborhoods.

With much bitching about the higher home prices in those city
neighborhoods.

nancy
PENMART01

>They're still suburbanites, not that there is anything wrong with
>that.
>
>nancy (sub and proud)

I think "*burb* and proud" is more apropos, especially for you... no way I can
picture you a "sub"missive.

M-W

burbs

noun plural
Date: 1971
: SUBURBS
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in
:

> "Steve Cutchen" > wrote in message
>> In article <IvzFc.295$4Z3.19@lakeread02>, StephenJ
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > "suburban yuppies"

>> Christian Muslims?
>>
>> Miami Gators?
>>
>> yup == young URBAN professionals

> I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

And it would be best if they kept moving on...

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
hahabogus

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:51:10 -0400, Nancy Young

>> > You can't really be suburban *and* a yuppie.

What? when did Yuuppies follow rules?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
sf

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:50:34 GMT, Steve Cutchen
> wrote:

> So lets assume you mean grilling, not BBQing. And assume you mean
> straight charcoal and no chips to give flavoring via the smoke.

The rest of us call it s-l-o-w cooking... and when invited
never turn up our noses at that kind of Q or offer up
virulent criticism about how they've hyjacked our acroynm.
With that said, we will continue throw our burgers on our
charcoal grills and unabashedly call it bbq.

sf

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:37:36 GMT, Steve Cutchen
> wrote:

> > > yup == young URBAN professionals

> > I remember it as "young upwardly-mobile professionals"

> A google reveals both in common usage. But I recall at the time it was
> definitely "urban".

Definately! Otherwise they would have been yumpies

> It was all about folks moving into the city and
> resurrecting older neighborhoods.

It was more than that. Yuppies tended to be single or
childless couples. Conspicuous consumerism was at it's peak
during those days. They had well paid jobs and they spent
their earnings mostly on flashy, high ticket items...
chothes, cars (remember when "Beemer" was coined?), (Rolex)
watches/(Bulgari)jewlery, audio/video equipment, home
furnishings & art. Toward the end of the era, they had
"designer babies", an au-pair, a $400 pram and enrolled
their little darlings (still in utero) into the "best"
preschools money could buy.

sf