Unrefrigerated ground beef

Old 02-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Ken
Usenet poster

Default Unrefrigerated ground beef

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

Ken wrote:
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me
from getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a
fairly cool Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it
passed the smell test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat
is good/bad.

Whatcha do, get drunk and forget about it? (teasing) How cool an evening?
If it passed the smell test it's probably okay but cook it immediately.

Jill

Old 02-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Ken" wrote in message
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM
byakee
Usenet poster

One dark day on Usenet, "Ken" said:

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Given that the tempurature was in the mid-50's last night (I'm not
far from Seattle myself), I'd throw it away...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
Old 02-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Katra
Usenet poster

In article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Excellent point. ;-)
It's a point I keep having to tell my dad when I want to pitch old food
to the chickens...

I've finally convinced him that it's cheaper to replace the food than
deal with the hospital bill!

My chickens love raw ground beef. I've given them stuff out of the
freezer that was freezer burned. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 03-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Jimmy G
Usenet poster

If it don't stink, eat it.

The smell & wiggle test is fine for me: If it doesn't smell bad, & I can't
see anything wiggling in it without the aide of my glasses, then it's safe
to eat.

I spent a year in Thailand eating food off the street & form markets that
had unrefrigerated beef, chicken & fish. The food never bothered
me...never had a stomach ache. Of course, I spent a month in the hospital
with hepatitis, but that's another story.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:50 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"Ken"

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

I'd not have bought that fercocktah mystery meat in the first place... perhaps
sitting out fermenting is an improvement.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 03-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mary Jo Oliver
Usenet poster

I work in a meat department..trust me..throw it away...meat needs to be kept
at a certain temp. if it is outside that temperature for more than 2 hours
it is considered bad.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Ken
Usenet poster

Whatcha do, get drunk and forget about it?

:: Nodding sheepishly ::

Thanks all for your opinions. Chucking it.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:13 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:26:23 -0500, Katra

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Excellent point. ;-)
It's a point I keep having to tell my dad when I want to pitch old food
to the chickens...

IMO: if you didn't eat it by this time, toss it - but a
truly cool Seattle night would be cool enough for meat...
Worst case scenerio - it'll clean out your system, but won't
kill you (if you're healthy to begin with).

Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Scott
Usenet poster

In article GSmFc.7884$151.2064@fed1read02,
"Jimmy G" wrote:

If it don't stink, eat it.

The smell & wiggle test is fine for me: If it doesn't smell bad, & I can't
see anything wiggling in it without the aide of my glasses, then it's safe
to eat.

Bad advice. Massive E. coli contamination doesn't make meat smell bad.

please mail OT responses only
Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

Who wants to be sick for several days over $2 worth of meat?

Old 04-07-2004, 02:49 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:26:12 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

Who wants to be sick for several days over $2 worth of meat?

So, why the OP if it's such a no brainer?