NY Strip steaks, tenderizer needed?

Old 02-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Svenco
Usenet poster

Default NY Strip steaks, tenderizer needed?

In my opinion a NY strip steak is perfect just as it is, lightly season and
do not over cook! In fact we have them on sale here this week for 3.97lb, I
will be getting some for our 4th of July bbq.

P.

"Ignoramus31546" wrote in message
I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.

It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
just a hunch.

I want to grill them.

I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
bottle.

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?

Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Old 02-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Sprgtime
Usenet poster

I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook it
or slow cook it?
That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04

Old 02-07-2004, 03:11 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Ignoranus31546 writes:

I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.

It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
just a hunch.

I want to grill them.

I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
bottle.

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?

Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Don't you have teeth? Darn dentures, eh?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 02-07-2004, 03:30 PM
Wayne
Usenet poster

Ignoramus31546 wrote in
:

In article , Sprgtime wrote:
I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure
cook it or slow cook it?
That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

Well, surely I could slow cook a steak, but I think that a tender
steak that is medium done tastes better than slow cooked meat.

I just cooked a piece of brisket in a crockpot yesterday, for 15
hours, and it was great. Flavorful and super well cooked. But, not the
same as grilled steak.

When I want to slow cook meat, I buy meat for $1.89-2.19 per lb, not
$3.99 per lb.

Steaks are for grilling, cheap tough cuts are for crockpotting. What I
have is a steak that Iwant to grill in the best way,hence my tenderier
question.

Why would you even need to tenderize a New York strip steak? Although,
at $3.99/pound, it is probably at best a choice cut or even select cut.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Psychotron
Usenet poster

Ignoramus31546 wrote:
I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.

It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
just a hunch.

I want to grill them.

I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
bottle.

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?

Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

At 3.99lb you didn't get usda prime. Don't expect it to
be too tender. You probably got usda select. Nothing
wrong with it, it's just probably very lean. That is
too cheap even for usda choice. Prime around here goes
over $10/lb.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:13 PM
GT
Usenet poster

"Ignoramus31546" wrote in message
I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.

It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
just a hunch.

I want to grill them.

I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
bottle.

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?

Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled by
our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly tender,
but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just needs
a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
wine etc.

GT

Old 02-07-2004, 04:31 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"GT" poofed:

[...]

What a slew of ****ing meat morons... haven't a clue what they're spouting off
about. There's no need to ever tenderize any cut from the short loin,
regardless of grade. I'm certain the *only* beef any of yoose know is
stupidmarket mystery ground.

The only time strip steak is tough is because it's over cooked - no amount of
tenderizing will compensate.

Or perhaps yoose slimely little putz nibblers need to invest in a set of
choppers.. can't always gum your meat.

New York steak
Also known as New York strip steak and shell steak, this cut of meat comes from
the most tender section of beef, the SHORT LOIN. It's the boneless top loin
muscle and is equivalent to a PORTERHOUSE steak minus tenderloin and bone.
Depending on the region, it's also marketed as Delmonico steak, Kansas City
(strip) steak, shell steak, sirloin club steak and strip steak . This tender
cut may be broiled, grilled or sautéed.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:36 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

sqwertz@clueless spurts:

Ignoranus31546 wrote:

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Just grill/cook it. It's not going to be too tough to eat.

It will when these meat morons over cook it.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 PM
Emil
Usenet poster

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN
Do not cook it medium. Cook it warm pink center. It will then be at a
state that will be the most tender.
If it is not tender then don't buy anymore from where you got this.
I agree it is at the most USDA Select and maybe USDA Cutter and Canner.
It is like the old saying "You can't make a pig a princess" "You get what
you pay for"
No criticism intended. A person needs to know what they are getting. I
could not choose a Hot Tub that is best for the value I could only look at
the price and hope it is a bargain.

I do have the knowledge to know a good steak and what it should look like
raw and cooked. I may even be able to walk into a field shoot him and get
to the best parts quickly.

TGBTG

--
Emil Luca

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message
On 2 Jul 2004 13:09:22 GMT, Ignoramus31546
wrote:

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Just grill/cook it. It's not going to be too tough to eat.

-sw

Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"Sprgtime" wrote in message
I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook

it
or slow cook it?
That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

I hope you are joking - pressure cook a NY strip?!?!?! Gadzooks, what an
idea.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

In article , Sprgtime wrote:
I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook

it
or slow cook it?
That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

Well, surely I could slow cook a steak, but I think that a tender
steak that is medium done tastes better than slow cooked meat.

I just cooked a piece of brisket in a crockpot yesterday, for 15
hours, and it was great. Flavorful and super well cooked. But, not the
same as grilled steak.

When I want to slow cook meat, I buy meat for $1.89-2.19 per lb, not
$3.99 per lb.

Steaks are for grilling, cheap tough cuts are for crockpotting. What I
have is a steak that Iwant to grill in the best way,hence my tenderier
question.

A good NY strip is quite tender on its own. I fear that your suggested
treatment would turn it to jelly.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 02-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Dave Smith
Usenet poster

GT wrote:

My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?

Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled by
our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly tender,
but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just needs
a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
wine etc.

I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend to be
tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if marinated for a
few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to soften them
up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have to do that
with the more expensive cuts of beef.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Gene
Usenet poster

What;s the difference between a t-bone & a porterhouse ? size ?

Old 02-07-2004, 06:15 PM
netstat -an
Usenet poster

"GT" wrote in message
[...]

My favorite strip steak marinade is 1/2 c worcestershire, 1/2c soy sauce, a
little dry mustard, and a chopped scallion. Just for flavor, not for
tenderizing.
NY strip is pretty tender, and here it's 5.99-7.99/lb on sale.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Psychotron
Usenet poster

Ignoramus31546 wrote:
In article , Psychotron wrote:

At 3.99lb you didn't get usda prime. Don't expect it to
be too tender. You probably got usda select. Nothing
wrong with it, it's just probably very lean.

Yep. That's sensible.

That is too cheap even for usda choice. Prime around here goes over
$10/lb.

And your suggestion regarding tenderizing is?

....just to buy prime next time.