Hairy

Default Pot Roast

What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
Any recipe suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave

Edwin Pawlowski

Hairy wrote:
> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> Any recipe suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I like rump roast, but chuck is very good also.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Wayne

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> Hairy wrote:
>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
>> Any recipe suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

> I like rump roast, but chuck is very good also.

I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really like an
"English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat running
through it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
A.C.

> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> Any recipe suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I like the chuck roast myself.

Kswck

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > Hairy wrote:
> >> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> >> Any recipe suggestions?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Dave

> > I like rump roast, but chuck is very good also.
> >

> I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really like an
> "English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat running
> through it.
>
> -- Flank?

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Hairy"
> wrote:

> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> Any recipe suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Dave

I like chuck roast. My late MIL used to make a mean pot roast - she
preferred arm roast.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

PENMART01

>Melba's Jammin' writes:
>
>>"Hairy" wrote:
>>
>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?

>I like chuck roast. My late MIL used to make a mean pot roast - she
>preferred arm roast.

I like top round for pot roast, it's a nice solid piece of meat for cutting
neat slices. I prefer chuck for a long slow braise, very tasty but more
stringy and heavily fatted throughout, tends to separate rather than lending
itself to neat slicing.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' writes:
>>
>>> "Hairy" wrote:
>>>
>>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?

>> I like chuck roast. My late MIL used to make a mean pot roast - she
>> preferred arm roast.

> I like top round for pot roast, it's a nice solid piece of meat for
> cutting neat slices. I prefer chuck for a long slow braise, very
> tasty but more stringy and heavily fatted throughout, tends to
> separate rather than lending itself to neat slicing.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Yep, Chuck is great for that falling apart you can cut it with a fork beef;
excellent done in a crock pot. I'm with you on the top round for a real
roasted cut of beef done in the oven. Slices nicely. Roast rare to medium
rare for best flavour. Pile some cubed potatoes, parsnips and carrots
around it (brushed lightly with a little olive oil and sprinkled with salt &
pepper) in the last hour of cooking.

Jill

Alex Rast

at Tue, 29 Jun 2004 03:00:59 GMT in >, hairy411
@hotmail.com (Hairy) wrote :

>What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
>Any recipe suggestions?
>Thanks,

IMHO the best pot roasts are from the chuck. Several people have
recommended chuck roast, however, I think this is too broad a term covering
too many different possible cuts. Specifically, you want 7-bone, top blade,
or chuck eye roast. (Other common chuck roasts include shoulder and under-
blade. Both aren't as good for pot roast)

--
Alex Rast

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "Kswck" > got ****ed off and typed
> . net:
>

>> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
>>> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

>>> I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really
>>> like an "English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat
>>> running through it.
>>>
>>> -- Flank?

> IMO using flank as a pot roast would be a waste. Just MO.
>
> Michael

Not to mention flank is sometimes hard to find (all the Tex-Mex places buy
them up for fajitas and the Chinese joints buy them for beef & broccoli).
Because of this it's rather pricey as well - I'm seeing it for $7.99/lb
which is along the lines of a prime filet as far as I'm concerned. Flank is
also not usually large enough for a pot roast, either, and has very little
fat which I find a good roast should have. Tends to be tough unless
marinated then grilled or broiled and then sliced thinly across the grain
for maximum flavour. I vote for chuck!

Jill

PENMART01

>IMO using flank as a pot roast would be a waste. Just MO.
>
>Michael

Actually braised flank steak is quite good, and before the cut became chic and
was cheap it was more popular than braised brisket.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> Not to mention flank is sometimes hard to find (all the Tex-Mex places buy
> them up for fajitas and the Chinese joints buy them for beef & broccoli).
> Because of this it's rather pricey as well - I'm seeing it for $7.99/lb
> which is along the lines of a prime filet as far as I'm concerned. Flank is
> also not usually large enough for a pot roast, either, and has very little
> fat which I find a good roast should have. Tends to be tough unless
> marinated then grilled or broiled and then sliced thinly across the grain
> for maximum flavour. I vote for chuck!

Ditto. Chuck is the best for pot roast. Flank steak, just as you said,
marinated and grilled. I like my pot roast falling apart, no offense
to anyone else, but not neatly sliced. I like it a little shredded.
Otherwise I'd make roast beef, which I am terrible at.

nancy
Wayne

"Kswck" > wrote in
. net:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
>> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

>> > I like rump roast, but chuck is very good also.
>> >

>> I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really
>> like an "English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat
>> running through it.
>>
>> -- Flank?

No, English Cut is definitely not flank steak.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Hairy

"Hairy" > wrote in message
> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> Any recipe suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Dave

Thank you all for the suggestions. I went out today and bought a 4.3 pound 7
bone chuck steak. I'm going to surprise my wife with pot roast, potatoes,
onions and carrots for supper tonight. I hope it's a happy surprise. My
culinary efforts don't always turn out too well.
Wish me luck
Dave

A.C.

"Hairy" > wrote in message

> "Hairy" > wrote in message
> > What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
> > Any recipe suggestions?
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
> >

> Thank you all for the suggestions. I went out today and bought a 4.3 pound

7
> bone chuck steak. I'm going to surprise my wife with pot roast, potatoes,
> onions and carrots for supper tonight. I hope it's a happy surprise. My
> culinary efforts don't always turn out too well.
> Wish me luck
> Dave

cook it low and slow. chuck roasts work really well in a crock pot

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> IMO using flank as a pot roast would be a waste. Just MO.
>>
>> Michael

> Actually braised flank steak is quite good, and before the cut became
> chic and was cheap it was more popular than braised brisket.

I recall my mom buying flank for about 79 cents a pound, but she always
marinated and broiled it. Then sliced thinly across the grain. I suspect
it was a Betty Crocker recipe; she had one of those 3 ring binder BC books
from 1950. I couldn't believe it when she told me she'd thrown it away!

Jill

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Michel Boucher

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I suspect it was a Betty Crocker recipe; she had one of
> those 3 ring binder BC books from 1950. I couldn't believe it
> when she told me she'd thrown it away!

You might try this address on eBay. No one has bid on it yet. 9 hours
to go. Good luck :-)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...gory=378&item=
6909215053&rd=1

--
Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?

Gimli, son of Gloín
jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "Hairy" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

>> "Hairy" > wrote in message
>>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
>>> Any recipe suggestions?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Thank you all for the suggestions. I went out today and bought a 4.3
>> pound 7 bone chuck steak. I'm going to surprise my wife with pot
>> roast, potatoes, onions and carrots for supper tonight. I hope it's a
>> happy surprise. My culinary efforts don't always turn out too well.
>> Wish me luck
>> Dave

> Good Luck! You could always invite us critics over for a taste
>
> Michael

Laughing - how many of us do you think he can feed on a 4.3 lb. roast? I'm
assuming he and his wife will want to sample some of it. Heheh

Jill

jmcquown

Hairy wrote:
> "Hairy" > wrote in message
>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
>> Any recipe suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>

> Thank you all for the suggestions. I went out today and bought a 4.3
> pound 7 bone chuck steak. I'm going to surprise my wife with pot
> roast, potatoes, onions and carrots for supper tonight. I hope it's a
> happy surprise. My culinary efforts don't always turn out too well.
> Wish me luck
> Dave

You have my best wishes Now, here's a suggestion for any leftover chuck
roast. Slice it, warm it up in a beef or mushroom gravy and serve it over
split toasted hoagie buns or french rolls - it's a hot open-faced sandwich.
Delicious!

I'm proud of you for attempting to surprise your wife with your culinary
efforts. Some guys won't even try - my hat is off to you!

Jill

Kswck

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "Kswck" > got ****ed off and typed
> . net:
>

> > "Wayne" > wrote in message
> >> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
> >> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> >> I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really
> >> like an "English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat
> >> running through it.
> >>
> >> -- Flank?

> IMO using flank as a pot roast would be a waste. Just MO.
>
> Michael

Me too. Just guessing on the previous posters note.

Kswck

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Kswck" > wrote in
> . net:
>

> > "Wayne" > wrote in message
> >> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in news05Ec.199$8m6.120
> >> @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

> >> I'm not really sure exactly what part of beef it is, but I really
> >> like an "English Cut" roast. It's a flattish usually with ample fat
> >> running through it.
> >>
> >> -- Flank?

> No, English Cut is definitely not flank steak.

Okay-twas just a guess anyway.

PENMART01

>Dog3 wrote:
>
>>(PENMART01) wrote:
>>
>>>Dog3 wrote:
>>>
>>>IMO using flank as a pot roast would be a waste. Just MO.
>>>

>> Actually braised flank steak is quite good, and before the cut became
>> chic and was cheap it was more popular than braised brisket.

>Yeah but... It's so expensive, using it for pot roast is a waste of dough
>IMO. I

What a stupid statement.

It's really sad that you associate pot roast with cheap food... you probably
consider fast food boigers gourmet.

How do you figure that if something is pricy it's a waste of money unless it's
cooked only a certain way... if it tasty, gets eaten, and is enjoyed I figure
it's good value. I can appreciate $10 a plate pot roast... I wish more
restaurants offered good pot roast, with prime meat cuts, lots of fine veggies,
and a delicious sauce... very few do. You on the other hand obviously and
definitely have your taste in your ass.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Grismalkin

>Hairy wrote:
>> What is a good supermarket cut of beef for a pot roast?
>> Any recipe suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Dave

>I like rump roast, but chuck is very good also.
>
>--
>Ed

>http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I usually use rump, too. In the slow cooker.
Wayne

"Kswck" > wrote in
. net:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Kswck" > wrote in
>> . net:

>> No, English Cut is definitely not flank steak.
>>

> Okay-twas just a guess anyway.

Doing a bit of research, I find that an English Cut is actually a cut of
Chuck Roast. The following is a lot of detail on Chuck.

From Cook's Thesaurus...

Chuck Cuts:

7-bone pot roast = 7-bone roast = center cut pot roast = chuck roast
center cut Notes: This is a tough cut of meat, so it's usually
braised or cooked in liquid to tenderize it. A steak from this roast is
called a 7-bone steak. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast

7-bone steak = center chuck steak Notes: This is an economical steak
cut from a 7-bone pot roast. It's rather tough, so your best bet is to
braise it. If you insist on grilling or broiling it, be sure to
marinate it overnight to make it as tender as possible. Substitutes:
top blade steak OR under blade steak

arm roast = arm pot roast = arm chuck roast = chuck arm roast = round
bone pot roast = round bone roast Notes: This is just a butcher's
blade away from the shoulder roast, and the main difference between the
two is that the arm roast has a round bone in it and is slightly more
tender. You can use this for a pot roast, or cut it up for stew meat,
but it's too tough to cook with dry heat. A steak cut from this roast
is called an arm steak. Substitutes: shoulder roast OR bottom round
OR cross rib roast

arm steak = arm chuck steak = arm Swiss steak = round bone steak = round
bone Swiss steak Notes: This is a steak cut from an arm roast. It's
too tough to grill or broil, but it's very tasty if you braise it.
Substitutes: 7-bone steak OR under blade steak OR shoulder steak

blade roast = blade pot roast = blade chuck roast Notes: This makes
a good pot roast, but it's too tough to cook using dry heat.
Substitutes: arm pot roast OR cross rib roast OR brisket

chuck eye = mock tender = chuck fillet = chuck filet = chuck tender =
Scotch tender Notes: This is one of the more tender cuts from the
chuck section, so you can cook it in liquid or roast it in the oven. A
steak cut from this roast is called a chuck eye steak. Substitutes:
top blade roast

chuck eye steak = chuck fillet steak = chuck filet steak = beauty steak
= chuck tender steak = fish steak Notes: This steak isn't bad,
considering it's a chuck steak. In fact, it's tender enough to grill
or broil, provided that you marinate it overnight first. Substitutes:
top blade steak OR eye of round steak OR top sirloin OR round tip
steak

chuck steak Notes: Chuck steaks comes from the neck and shoulder of
the beef, and they tend to be chewy but flavorful and inexpensive. Most
of them are too tough to grill, broil, or pan-fry--it's better to braise
them or cut them up as stew meat. If you must grill one, make sure you
marinate it overnight first. Substitutes: round steak (leaner) OR
T-bone steak (more tender)

cross rib roast = cross rib pot roast = Boston cut = English cut roast =
English roast = thick rib roast = bread and butter cut = beef chuck
cross rib pot roast Notes: If boneless, this is sometimes called an
English roll. This makes a fine pot roast, but it's too tough to roast
with dry heat. Substitutes: arm roast OR blade pot roast OR 7-bone
roast

pot roast Notes: These are economical roasts that are too tough to be
oven roasted, but they become tender if cooked in a liquid for several
hours. Several cuts work well as pot roasts, particularly the 7-bone
pot roast, arm roast, blade roast, chuck eye, cross rib roast, shoulder
roast, top blade pot roast, under blade pot roast, bottom round roast,
eye round roast, and rump roast.

shoulder roast = shoulder pot roast = English roast Notes: This
boneless cut is located right behind the arm roast on the carcass. It's
rather tough, so it's usually cooked in a liquid. Substitutes: arm
roast OR bottom round OR cross rib roast

shoulder steak = English steak = clod steak Notes: This makes for a
fairly tough steak, but you can grill or broil it provided that you
first marinate it overnight. It's even better braised. Substitutes:
top blade steak OR chuck eye steak

top blade pot roast = flat iron roast = lifter roast = puff roast =
triangle roast Notes: This is both literally and figuratively a cut
above the tougher under blade pot roast. Meat from the top blade often
is made into a pot roast, or cut up, marinated, and used for fajitas. A
steak cut from the top blade pot roast is called a top blade steak.
Substitutes: 7-bone pot roast OR under blade pot roast

top blade steak = book steak = butler steak = lifter steak = petite
steak = top chuck steak = flat iron steak Notes: Though a lowly
chuck steak, this cut is tender enough to grill, broil, or pan-fry, as
long as you marinate it first. If you don't mind cutting around some
gristle, this is an economical and flavorful steak. It's also great for
making fajitas. Substitutes: eye of round steak OR top sirloin OR
round tip steak

under blade pot roast = bottom chuck roast = California roast =
under-cut roast Notes: This cut is tougher than a top blade pot
roast, but it's flavorful and economical. It makes a fine pot roast, but
it's too tough to roast with dry heat. A steak cut from this is called
an under blade steak. Substitutes: 7-bone pot roast OR top blade pot
roast

under blade steak = bottom chuck steak = California steak Notes: This
is a steak cut from an under blade roast. It's not tender enough to
grill, broil, or fry, but it's quite flavorful if braised.
Substitutes: top blade steak (more tender) OR arm steak

-- Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
byakee

One dark day on Usenet, Default User > said:

<snip>

> Something I like to make, which sort of pot roast but gone on past, is
> to take a nice-sized chuck roast, barbecue it for several hours
> (indirect heat, charcoal/smoke wood fire, low and slow, that sort of
> thing). It doesn't really have to be done, just pick up lots of nice
> smoke flavor.
>
> Bring it in, put it in a heavy pot with some pureed tomatoes, cider
> vinegar, beef broth, spices and brown sugar. Let it simmer away until
> the meat is so tender it will shred with a fork. Then shred it with
> fork. Serve on buns to make big meat, saucy sandwiches.

Damn, I just drooled on my keyboard...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
Kswck

> It's really sad that you associate pot roast with cheap food... you

probably
> consider fast food boigers gourmet.
>
> How do you figure that if something is pricy it's a waste of money unless

it's
> cooked only a certain way... if it tasty, gets eaten, and is enjoyed I

figure
> it's good value. I can appreciate $10 a plate pot roast... I wish more
> restaurants offered good pot roast, with prime meat cuts, lots of fine

veggies,
> and a delicious sauce... very few do. You on the other hand obviously

and
> definitely have your taste in your ass.
>
> GOOD German restaurants have pot roast-it's called sauerbraten. BAD German

restaurants have pot roast-it's called pot roast w/a sour sauce sauce dumped
on top.