arossi

Default Roasted Salted Peanuts

Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

Mark Thorson

arossi wrote:

> Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

Here is a good reason NOT TO EAT PEANUTS.

In this study, 10 out of 36 participants were found to be
positive for the Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen, which
causes the cells of their rectum to divide rapidly (possible
risk factor for colorectal cancer) when they eat peanuts.

Gastroenterology 1998 Jan;114(1):44-9
Peanut ingestion increases rectal proliferation in individuals
with mucosal expression of peanut lectin receptor.
Ryder SD, Jacyna MR, Levi AJ, Rizzi PM, Rhodes JM.
Department of Gastroenterology, Northwick Park Hospital,
Middlesex, England.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: The Thomsen-Friedenreich
blood group antigen (galactose beta 1,3-N-acetyl
galactosamine alpha-) acts as an oncofetal antigen
in the colonic epithelium, with low expression in
normal adult epithelia but increasing to fetal levels
of expression in hyperplasia or malignancy. Peanut
lectin is one of the commonest dietary lectins that
binds this antigen. The aim of this study was to
determine whether peanut ingestion can alter rectal
epithelial proliferation.

METHODS: Thirty-six patients with normal colonic
mucosa consumed 100 g of peanuts each
day for 5 days. Rectal mitotic index was measured
before and after ingestion, and changes in
proliferation were correlated with immunohistochemical
detection of lectin receptor expression by
colonocytes and fecal lectin activity as measured
by hemagglutination assay.

RESULTS: Peanut ingestion caused a 41% increase
in rectal mucosal proliferation in individuals with
macroscopically normal mucosa who express
TF antigen in their rectal mucosae (10 of 36
patients studied). The proliferative response
correlated with fecal hemagglutinating activity, and
peanut lectin could be shown immunohistochemically
within the rectal mucosa.

CONCLUSIONS: The common expression
of galactose beta 1,3-N-acetyl galactosamine
alpha- by hyperplastic and neoplastic epithelia
may therefore be functionally important because it
allows interaction with mitogenic dietary lectins.
This could be an important mechanism for the
association between diet and colorectal cancer.

Mark Thorson

arossi wrote:

> Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

Here's an interesting table from
http://www.who.int/pcs/training_mate...section6.1.htm

Note that conditions which present multiple risks
are called out separately -- for example, the risk
from black lung disease and the risk of an accident
are listed separately for the condition of living in
a coal mine. Although the benzopyrene risk is
cited for charcoal broiled steaks, the risk from
polyaromatic hydrocarbons and polyamines from
the same steaks is not included in the table.

Note where eating peanut butter is in this list.
Frankly, I'd rather eat the charcoal-broiled steak.

Table 12. Risks which increase chance of death by 0.000001

Smoking 1.4 cigarettes -- Cancer, heart disease
Drinking ½ litre of wine -- Cirrhosis of the liver
Spending 1 hour in a coal mine -- Black lung disease
Spending 3 hours in a coal mine -- Accident
Living 2 days in New York or Boston -- Air pollution
Travelling 5 minutes by canoe -- Accident
Travelling 10 miles by bicycle -- Accident
Travelling 300 miles by car -- Accident
Flying 1000 miles by jet -- Accident
Flying 6000 miles by jet -- Cancer caused by
cosmic radiation
Living 2 months in Denver on vacation from
New York -- Cancer caused by cosmic radiation
Living 2 months in average stone or brick building
-- Cancer caused by natural radioactivity
One chest X-ray taken in a good hospital -- Cancer
caused by radiation
Living 2 months with a cigarette smoker -- Cancer,
heart disease
Eating 40 tablespoons of peanut butter -- Liver
cancer caused by aflatoxin B
Drinking Miami drinking-water for 1 year -- Cancer
caused by chloroform
Drinking 30 12 oz. cans of diet soda -- Cancer
caused by saccharin
Living 5 years at site boundary of a typical nuclear
power plant in the open -- Cancer caused by radiation
Drinking 1000 24 oz. soft drinks from recently banned
plastic bottles -- Cancer from acrylonitrile monomer
Living 20 years near PVC plant -- Cancer caused by
vinyl chloride (1976 standard)
Living 150 years within 20 miles of a nuclear power
plant -- Cancer caused by radiation
Eating 100 charcoal broiled steaks -- Cancer from
benzopyrene
Risk of accident by living within 5 miles of a nuclear
reactor for 50 years -- Cancer caused by radiation

BOB

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:35:49 GMT, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>> Table 12. Risks which increase chance of death by 0.000001

>> Eating 100 charcoal broiled steaks -- Cancer from
>> benzopyrene

> To put this in perspective, you'd have to eat 1 *billion* grilled
> steaks to increase your chances of contracting cancer (not
> necessarily death) from eating grilled beef by 1%.
>
> I think I'll take my chances. I'm a gambler, so I'm gonna go for 2
> billion steaks at 1 in 50 odds. Gonna call my bookie right now.
>
> -sw

considering his 2 posts to this thread, I wonder if Mark could use this website:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

BOB

Mr. Wizard

"arossi" > wrote in message
> Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

Pressure cook the raw peanuts in brine for fifteen minutes
then dry roast at 500 for 75 minutes

Kim

I roast peanuts in the oven in a shallow roasting pan with either oil
(I use a bland flavour one like grapeseed oil) or butter - and keep
turning them. Cook for about 10-15 minutes at 375 deg F and watch
they don't burn.

Remove from the oven and sprinkle the salt on them turning to coat.

Yummy.

Mr. Wizard

"Kim" > wrote in message
> I roast peanuts in the oven in a shallow roasting pan with either oil
> (I use a bland flavour one like grapeseed oil) or butter - and keep
> turning them. Cook for about 10-15 minutes at 375 deg F and watch
> they don't burn.
>
> Remove from the oven and sprinkle the salt on them turning to coat.
>
> Yummy.

I think he meant "In the shell" like at the ballpark.

Bob Myers

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> arossi wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

> Here is a good reason NOT TO EAT PEANUTS.

Oh, gawd - someone posts an simple request for a recipe, and
some crackpot feels compelled to post scary stories. Tell you
what, why don't we just stop eating EVERYTHING? THAT will
clearly make us healthier, you betcha....

Bob M.

Gene

>Rectal mitotic index was measured
before and after ingestion,

I'll bet THAT was a fun study !

arossi

Thanks, this sounds like a good approach. You don't happen
to have an idea on the salt volume in the brine? I like them
lightly salted.

"Mr. Wizard" wrote:

> "arossi" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?
> >

> Pressure cook the raw peanuts in brine for fifteen minutes
> then dry roast at 500 for 75 minutes

Mark Thorson

Bob Myers wrote:

> Tell you what, why don't we just stop eating EVERYTHING?
> THAT will clearly make us healthier, you betcha....

Because it's not EVERYTHING which is dangerous.
Only a small number of foods pose significant risks,
and peanuts are at the top of the list among vegetable
foods. Peanuts today are where tobacco was a hundred
years ago -- few people recognize the danger and
the public is kept ignorant.

arossi

Where did you learn to spell all of those big words.
Probably sitting on your rectum.
You might try eating them instead of stuffing them up your
rear.

Mark Thorson wrote:

> arossi wrote:
>
> > Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?

> Here is a good reason NOT TO EAT PEANUTS.
>
> In this study, 10 out of 36 participants were found to be
> positive for the Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen, which
> causes the cells of their rectum to divide rapidly (possible
> risk factor for colorectal cancer) when they eat peanuts.
>
> Gastroenterology 1998 Jan;114(1):44-9
> Peanut ingestion increases rectal proliferation in individuals
> with mucosal expression of peanut lectin receptor.
> Ryder SD, Jacyna MR, Levi AJ, Rizzi PM, Rhodes JM.
> Department of Gastroenterology, Northwick Park Hospital,
> Middlesex, England.
>
> BACKGROUND & AIMS: The Thomsen-Friedenreich
> blood group antigen (galactose beta 1,3-N-acetyl
> galactosamine alpha-) acts as an oncofetal antigen
> in the colonic epithelium, with low expression in
> normal adult epithelia but increasing to fetal levels
> of expression in hyperplasia or malignancy. Peanut
> lectin is one of the commonest dietary lectins that
> binds this antigen. The aim of this study was to
> determine whether peanut ingestion can alter rectal
> epithelial proliferation.
>
> METHODS: Thirty-six patients with normal colonic
> mucosa consumed 100 g of peanuts each
> day for 5 days. Rectal mitotic index was measured
> before and after ingestion, and changes in
> proliferation were correlated with immunohistochemical
> detection of lectin receptor expression by
> colonocytes and fecal lectin activity as measured
> by hemagglutination assay.
>
> RESULTS: Peanut ingestion caused a 41% increase
> in rectal mucosal proliferation in individuals with
> macroscopically normal mucosa who express
> TF antigen in their rectal mucosae (10 of 36
> patients studied). The proliferative response
> correlated with fecal hemagglutinating activity, and
> peanut lectin could be shown immunohistochemically
> within the rectal mucosa.
>
> CONCLUSIONS: The common expression
> of galactose beta 1,3-N-acetyl galactosamine
> alpha- by hyperplastic and neoplastic epithelia
> may therefore be functionally important because it
> allows interaction with mitogenic dietary lectins.
> This could be an important mechanism for the
> association between diet and colorectal cancer.

Mr. Wizard

"arossi" > wrote in message
> Thanks, this sounds like a good approach. You don't happen
> to have an idea on the salt volume in the brine? I like them
> lightly salted.
>
> "Mr. Wizard" wrote:
>
> > "arossi" > wrote in message
> > > Has anyone got a recipe for making salted Roasted Whole Peanuts?
> > >

> > Pressure cook the raw peanuts in brine for fifteen minutes
> > then dry roast at 500 for 75 minutes

One cup of salt and 1/4 cup sugar to a gallon.
This will be light salt. If it is still too much
reduce the cooking time.

Bob Myers

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Because it's not EVERYTHING which is dangerous.
> Only a small number of foods pose significant risks,
> and peanuts are at the top of the list among vegetable
> foods. Peanuts today are where tobacco was a hundred
> years ago -- few people recognize the danger and
> the public is kept ignorant.

With, of course, the minor exception that peanuts have
been consumed by humans for literally thousands of years
with no obvious correlation between their consumption and
significant health problems, and certainly without any
clear causal link between such consumption and any health
problem being established. Besides the study you cited (the
only one I've seen which showed such negative effects),
a search on "peanut health risks" or "peanut cancer" turns up
several studies which have even indicated a possible REDUCTION
in the risk of some cancers from the ingestion of peanuts and
similar foods. Suffice it to say that the research in this area is
(a) scant and (b) showing mixed results. And yet for some
reason you saw fit to give a warning of dire consequences to
all of us in the "ignorant" public, in response to a simple inquiry
for a roasted peanut recipe.

Well, thank GAWD we have folks like you who are vigilantly
standing watch over those of us poor slobs who are too ignorant
to take care of ourselves....

....right....

Bob M.