Desert Rainbow

Default Ramen: Biggest Bang for the Buck!

A recent discussion of ramen here renewed my interest in an old food.
This morning, in addition to a bowl of fruit and yogurt, I had beef
flavored Top Ramen. I used ½ a cup of cheap white wine in the liquid
and added chopped celery, onion, carrot and ½ a fresh jalapeño. When
it was done I added some pre-cooked broccoli and sliced green onions
and cilantro. I also added some fresh lime juice and soy sauce. It was
very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
stretchers, although that wasn't really my purpose. It is also a great
camp food. And it is 2-3 times cheaper now than it was in the
1970s.when I was growing up. I was raised in Mexico near the border
and my parents used to buy it on shopping trips to the U.S. side of
the border. You couldn’t find it then at Mexican markets.

Coincidentally, as I was just reading today's L.A. Times, I see a
feature story about the huge popularity of ramen ithat has now taken
hold n Mexico, so much so that it is supplanting traditional Mexican
dietary staples such as rice, beans and tortillas.

Although the article focuses mostly on the Mexican connection with
ramen, it contains a lot of other interesting info. It describes how
packaged ramen began (It’s inventor is 95 and still alive) and why it
can be produced so cheaply. Here is the URL for anyone interested:

http://tinyurl.com/awqn6

notbob

On 2005-10-21, Desert Rainbow > wrote:

> very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
> stretchers....

My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
a salt lick.

nb
Desert Rainbow

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-21, Desert Rainbow > wrote:
>

> > very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
> > stretchers....

> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short

of
> a salt lick.

It suits me and I'm not concerned with salt intake. But, judging by
the sodium content stated on the nutritional label, you're right. I
think that's similar to most commercially packaged soups. But if you
wanted you could reduce the salt content by using less of than the
full packet of ramen flavoring.

Sheldon

notbob wrote:
> Desert Rainbow wrote:
>
> > very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
> > stretchers....

> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
> a salt lick.

Methinks you exaggerate, grossly exaggerate... a hot dog is saltier, so
is a ham sandwich, so is a burger with pickle and ketchup and certainly
fast food fries, as well as any can of condensed soup, jarred pasta
sauce, bottled salad dressing, etc., etc., most all prepared foods are
saltier than ramen... ramen is one of the *least* salty prepared foods,
AND gives the option to *easily* opt out on most of the salt by not
using the seasoning packet (can't do that with other prepared foods).
Your experience has obviously made you a predjudisiously biased
ignorant jerk. There's nothing terribly salty about ramen per se, it is
what it is, about 12¢ worth of noodles with a seasoning packet, and no
law says one needs to use that seasoning packet, all or part... by the
time one doctors it, as the OP did. And it's more than one normal
serving anyway, so even if one used the entire seasoning packet it
would then be devided in half (a 3 oz package of ramen is supposed to
be two servings anyway). Perhaps everything you eat is too salty,
which is usually the case when one normally eats indiscriminately
regardless and then wants to control others... look in your own plate
before admonishing others about their eating proclivities. I really
don't think too many pay any attention to serving size listings anyway,
I've never met anyone who splits a package of ramen. Actually ramen is
higher in fiber (by about twice) than most morning cereals and contains
about the same protein as pasta... ramen is not such a poor food, for
what it purports to be, especially considering the cost. A serving of
ramen contains no more salt than an equal sized serving of pasta with
plain tomato sauce... and since most folks salt their pasta water you
haven't a clue. If pasta with sauce packets was available in 3 ounce
servings, cooked in three minutes, and cost 12¢ I'd gladly buy that
instead of ramen.

Sheldon

Dimitri

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-21, Desert Rainbow > wrote:
>

>> very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
>> stretchers....

> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
> a salt lick.
>
> nb

Easy solution - Make the ramen with plain water then add 1/2 the flavoring
packet.

And

a pat of butter
some soy sauce
a few peas
some scallion
some sesame oil
a dash of rice vinegar.
several slices of any leafy green vegetable.

What ever else suits your fancy.

:-o

Dimitri

Wavy G

Of all the Desert Rainbows I've known, "Desert Rainbow" is the Desert
Rainbowiest.

>A recent discussion of ramen here renewed my interest in an old food.

....Gee. And who was it who started *that*? Hmm...

>This morning, in addition to a bowl of fruit and yogurt, I had beef
>flavored Top Ramen. I used ½ a cup of cheap white wine in the liquid
>and added chopped celery, onion, carrot and ½ a fresh jalapeño. When
>it was done I added some pre-cooked broccoli and sliced green onions
>and cilantro. I also added some fresh lime juice and soy sauce. It was
>very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
>stretchers, although that wasn't really my purpose. It is also a great
>camp food. And it is 2-3 times cheaper now than it was in the
>1970s.when I was growing up. I was raised in Mexico near the border
>and my parents used to buy it on shopping trips to the U.S. side of
>the border. You couldn’t find it then at Mexican markets.
>
>Coincidentally, as I was just reading today's L.A. Times, I see a
>feature story about the huge popularity of ramen ithat has now taken
>hold n Mexico, so much so that it is supplanting traditional Mexican
>dietary staples such as rice, beans and tortillas.
>
>Although the article focuses mostly on the Mexican connection with
>ramen, it contains a lot of other interesting info. It describes how
>packaged ramen began (It’s inventor is 95 and still alive) and why it
>can be produced so cheaply. Here is the URL for anyone interested:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/awqn6

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> And
>
> a pat of butter
> some soy sauce
> a few peas
> some scallion
> some sesame oil
> a dash of rice vinegar.
> several slices of any leafy green vegetable.
>
> What ever else suits your fancy.

A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Dimitri

Default Ramen: Keep It Going!

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
>> And
>>
>> a pat of butter
>> some soy sauce
>> a few peas
>> some scallion
>> some sesame oil
>> a dash of rice vinegar.
>> several slices of any leafy green vegetable.
>>
>> What ever else suits your fancy.

> A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

What else? Keep it going.

Dimitri

Tara

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 23:28:14 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>>
>>> And
>>>
>>> a pat of butter
>>> some soy sauce
>>> a few peas
>>> some scallion
>>> some sesame oil
>>> a dash of rice vinegar.
>>> several slices of any leafy green vegetable.
>>>
>>> What ever else suits your fancy.

>> A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee

>What else? Keep it going.
>
>Dimitri

Thinly sliced leftover chicken
Red pepper flakes -- bonus points if they are leftover from takeout
pizza

Tara
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Oct 2005 12:33:48p, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-10-21, Desert Rainbow > wrote:
>

>> very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
>> stretchers....

> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
> a salt lick.
>
> nb

I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
> budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
everyone's talking about.

nancy

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> notbob wrote:
> > Desert Rainbow wrote:
> >
> >> very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
> >> stretchers....

> > My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
> > a salt lick.

> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
> budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

No more/less mediocre a food than pasta, and ramen is far more
convenient to portion and prepare... and as a rule people dress pasta
with far less healthful ingredients than they do ramen... like for
example how is oily/salty mac n' cheese more healthful than ramen with
napa, bok choy, celery, snow peas, garlic, ginger, onion, 'shrooms, and
a few strips of plain lean meat. Typical dago pasta dishes probably
constitute the world's least healthful food... even a typical basic
baked ziti is heart attack city.

Sheldon

Dee Randall

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
>> budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
> around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
> it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
> it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
> everyone's talking about.
>
> nancy

At one time someone told me that the noodles were made using hydrogenated
oil. Don't know if that's true or not.
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Oct 2005 05:09:41p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless

of
>> budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
> around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
> it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
> it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
> everyone's talking about.
>
> nancy

Well, it's certainly cheap enough to throw out. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
>
>>budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
> around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
> it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
> it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
> everyone's talking about.
>
> nancy

I had ramen noodle lo mein for supper tonite. DD bought a dozen
packages of ramen noodles a couple of months ago and hasn't eaten any of
'em yet so I've started eating them:

I cooked the noodles and the flavor packet with 1 cup of water (the
package said 2 cups of water) and a thinly sliced red jalapeno pepper.
Meanwhile I sliced 1/4 head of cabbage like I was gonna make coleslaw
with it. I put the cabbage in a nonstick skillet with a little water, a
little oil, and some garlic powder and a generous pinch of brown sugar.
Cooked until the cabbage was wilted, added the noodles and a little
powdered ginger. Cook and stir until the noodle water is fully
absorbed. Serves 1. (it could have used more cabbage and more hot peppers)

Bob

aem

Sheldon wrote:

> No more/less mediocre a food than pasta, and ramen is far more
> convenient to portion and prepare... [snip]

It's the lousy quality of the noodle, compounded by its being fried,
that makes it definitely inferior to Italian pasta or Chinese or
Japanese noodles. The only thing that is "more convenient" is that it
overcooks really fast.

People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
-- and make real noodles. -aem

Bob Terwilliger

Dimitri solicited more ramen add-ins:

>>> a pat of butter
>>> some soy sauce
>>> a few peas
>>> some scallion
>>> some sesame oil
>>> a dash of rice vinegar.
>>> several slices of any leafy green vegetable.
>>>
>>> What ever else suits your fancy.

>> A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ranee

> What else? Keep it going.

Chile-garlic sauce
A NON-scrambled egg poached in the liquid
Small cubes of tofu
Mushrooms (enoki mushrooms are particularly good)

Bob

CooberGirl

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
> are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
> they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
> -- and make real noodles. -aem

Well, most of the time, I'd rather have real noodles, but for me, a couple
times a year, only those greasy, slimy ramen noodles with that super-salty
powdered stuff will do. I don't know what it is -- it's fun to slurp up
those overcooked, curly noodles, I guess.

And it reminds me of college days when I didn't know how to cook. I started
w/ packaged ramen noodles, got tired of them, then moved to real pasta
topped with veggies that I stir-fried in bottled Italian dressing...I ate
that all the time in the good old days.

Chris

kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless

of
> > budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
> around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
> it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
> it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
> everyone's talking about.
>
> nancy

Nancy, don't buy the cup kind - it's god awful! (And dammit, I'm stuck with
it for lunches for the next week - WalMart brand no less. UGH.) If you buy
the packet noodles, cook them with butter and a touch of sesame oil, add the
flavor packet, some peas, corn, egg, mushrooms, whatever, it's really not
bad!

kili

kilikini

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
> >
> > I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless

of

> >>budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> > Heh, bad timing. I was just thinking, ramen comes up all the time
> > around here, guess I should try it even though I really don't think
> > it's something I would like. Now I'm really prepared not to like
> > it. What the heck, maybe I will, at the very least I'll know what
> > everyone's talking about.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> I had ramen noodle lo mein for supper tonite. DD bought a dozen
> packages of ramen noodles a couple of months ago and hasn't eaten any of
> 'em yet so I've started eating them:
>
> I cooked the noodles and the flavor packet with 1 cup of water (the
> package said 2 cups of water) and a thinly sliced red jalapeno pepper.
> Meanwhile I sliced 1/4 head of cabbage like I was gonna make coleslaw
> with it. I put the cabbage in a nonstick skillet with a little water, a
> little oil, and some garlic powder and a generous pinch of brown sugar.
> Cooked until the cabbage was wilted, added the noodles and a little
> powdered ginger. Cook and stir until the noodle water is fully
> absorbed. Serves 1. (it could have used more cabbage and more hot

peppers)

> Bob

Why have I never thought to add bok choy to mine? Duh! (slapping
forehead). Carrots would be good, too. I usually add ginger and garlic as
well. Thanks for the idea, Bob!

kili

kilikini

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Dimitri solicited more ramen add-ins:

> >> A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ranee

> > What else? Keep it going.

> Chile-garlic sauce
> A NON-scrambled egg poached in the liquid
> Small cubes of tofu
> Mushrooms (enoki mushrooms are particularly good)
>

> Bob

Some small shrimp.....

kili

George

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
> budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

Agree, but there are real ramen noodles which are good and really are
quite different from the "instant ramen" packs under discussion. Its
like instant coffee compared to freshly brewed coffee or powdered milk
compared to real milk..
George

kilikini wrote:

> Nancy, don't buy the cup kind - it's god awful! (And dammit, I'm stuck with
> it for lunches for the next week - WalMart brand no less. UGH.) If you buy
> the packet noodles, cook them with butter and a touch of sesame oil, add the
> flavor packet, some peas, corn, egg, mushrooms, whatever, it's really not
> bad!
>
> kili

Even better you can buy real ramen noodles they cook quickly and taste
better.

George

aem wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>No more/less mediocre a food than pasta, and ramen is far more
>>convenient to portion and prepare... [snip]

> It's the lousy quality of the noodle, compounded by its being fried,
> that makes it definitely inferior to Italian pasta or Chinese or
> Japanese noodles. The only thing that is "more convenient" is that it
> overcooks really fast.
>
> People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
> are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
> they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
> -- and make real noodles. -aem

Yes, and I don't understand the perceived bargain. Real ramen noodles
are inexpensive.
Nancy Young

"kilikini" > wrote

> "zxcvbob" > wrote

>> I cooked the noodles and the flavor packet with 1 cup of water (the
>> package said 2 cups of water) and a thinly sliced red jalapeno pepper.
>> Meanwhile I sliced 1/4 head of cabbage like I was gonna make coleslaw
>> with it. I put the cabbage in a nonstick skillet with a little water, a
>> little oil, and some garlic powder and a generous pinch of brown sugar.
>> Cooked until the cabbage was wilted, added the noodles and a little
>> powdered ginger. Cook and stir until the noodle water is fully
>> absorbed. Serves 1. (it could have used more cabbage and more hot

> peppers)

> Why have I never thought to add bok choy to mine? Duh! (slapping
> forehead). Carrots would be good, too. I usually add ginger and garlic
> as
> well. Thanks for the idea, Bob!

Paula Deen made something like that on her show:

1 head Napa or bok choy cabbage
3 green onions
1 (3-ounce) package ramen noodles with seasoning pack
1 (6-ounce) package slivered almonds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the broiler.
Tear the cabbage and slice the onions, and place in a large salad
bowl. Crumble the noodles into a broiler pan, add the almonds, sesame seeds,
and broil for 2 minutes, being careful not to scorch the sesame seeds. In a
jar with a tight lid, combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, and salt with the
contents of the seasoning pack. Cover the jar and shake well to blend the
dressing. Pour the dressing over the salad, add the toasted sesame and
almond, and toss to combine.

Curly Sue

On 22 Oct 2005 01:47:28 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 21 Oct 2005 12:33:48p, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On 2005-10-21, Desert Rainbow > wrote:
>>

>>> very robust and flavorful. Ramen has to be one of the best budget
>>> stretchers....

>> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
>> a salt lick.
>>
>> nb

>I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
>budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

Some brands are better than others and you have to be careful not to
overcook them. I use the Sapporo Ichiban Original with an egg, sesame
seeds, and red pepper added. I like ramen, but I am amazed at the
complicated things other people do with them. :>

The flavor packets have a lot of salt, but the noodles are pretty
bleak without it.

Sue(tm)
Sheldon

Curly Sue wrote:
> On 22 Oct 2005 01:47:28 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> My experience is it's about the saltiest thing on the planet short of
> >> a salt lick.
> >>
> >> nb

> >I will never understand the fascination with Ramen Noodles. Regardless of
> >budget issues, it's mediocre food at best.

> Some brands are better than others and you have to be careful not to
> overcook them. I use the Sapporo Ichiban Original with an egg, sesame
> seeds, and red pepper added. I like ramen, but I am amazed at the
> complicated things other people do with them. :>
>
> The flavor packets have a lot of salt, but the noodles are pretty
> bleak without it.

So many seem so concerned about all that salt... what exactly do you
mean by "a lot of salt"? Most prepared foods contain more salt than
ramen. Yoose gonna tell me you don't use condiments, no pickles, no
mustard, no olives, no salad dressing, you never use ketchup either,
eh... ketchup contains more salt than ramen, especially from the
quatities I see people use, I've never yet seen anyone use just the
recommended 1 Tbs. Canned tuna contains more salt per serving than
ramen, in fact so does commercial ice cream... the high salt content is
why many home freezers don't keep ice cream solidly frozen. I mean
ramen is just noodles, in of itself contains no more salt than pasta
(zero)... yoose gonna tell me you eat pasta plain, no salt in the
cooking water either, and with no sauce, just nekid... I just won't
believe you... from all the pasta sauce threads I know most of yoose
use jarred pasta sauce, do you have any idea how much salt is contained
in just one serving (2ozs), and none of yoose has ever gotten eight
servings from one 16 ounce jar, lucky if you got four, more like three.
Bottom line is compared to other prepared foods ramen does not contain
"a lot of salt'... any can of condensed soup contains more salt...
especially that fercocktah cream of mushroom crap yoose all can't seem
to cook without... and I won't even mention those packets of onion soup
mix yoose all transfuse with.... may as well hook up a permanent IV and
mainline yer saline meat loaf. Hey, none of yoose eat in restaurants
either, yeah, right... you never ate a hot dog, no ham sandwiches,
never tasted a taco, no chinese food, no mexican food, never ate a
friggin' pretzel, no peanut butter, no bbq sauce on yer ribs, and
naturally yoose abstain from all cheese... sheesh... hmm, have a few
fries with yer ketchup why doncha. Idiots! <g>

Sheldon

Nancy Young

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Curly Sue wrote:

>> The flavor packets have a lot of salt, but the noodles are pretty
>> bleak without it.

> So many seem so concerned about all that salt... what exactly do you
> mean by "a lot of salt"? Most prepared foods contain more salt than
> ramen.

Yeah, but ... some things *taste* way salty ... other things might be
just as salty but it isn't the overwhelming flavor.

nancy

notbob

On 2005-10-22, Sheldon > wrote:

> to cook without... and I won't even mention those packets....

Ramen IS the packets. Otherwise, it's just a cup of mummified starch.

nb
Nancy Young

"notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2005-10-22, Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> to cook without... and I won't even mention those packets....

> Ramen IS the packets. Otherwise, it's just a cup of mummified starch.

(laugh) Wow, I'm looking more and more eagerly to try this oft
touted treat.

nancy

William Boyd

George wrote:

> aem wrote:
>
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> No more/less mediocre a food than pasta, and ramen is far more
>>> convenient to portion and prepare... [snip]

>> It's the lousy quality of the noodle, compounded by its being fried,
>> that makes it definitely inferior to Italian pasta or Chinese or
>> Japanese noodles. The only thing that is "more convenient" is that it
>> overcooks really fast.
>>
>> People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
>> are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
>> they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
>> -- and make real noodles. -aem
>>

> Yes, and I don't understand the perceived bargain. Real ramen noodles
> are inexpensive.

This is a basic recip using the bulk size package of Filipino
noodles resembling Ramin.

- - - - - - - -
PANCIT CANTON

1 lg. chicken breast
1 c. shredded cabbage
1 c. carrots (cut into strips)
1 c. celery (thinly sliced)
1/2 of a med. onion (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
Salt, pepper & soy sauce to taste
1 pkg. Pancit canton (dried yellow noodles, can be bought at any
Oriental store)
Optional: For garnish chopped green onions & lemon wedges

Boil chicken breast in enough water to cover it (about 20 minutes).
Let it cool.

Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. When chicken is cool enough to
handle, shred the flesh in strips with fingers, discard the skin.
Save the broth.

In a large frying pan or wok, place about 3 tablespoons of vegetable
oil. Add the garlic and then onions and then chicken. Stir together
and cook until onions become transparent. Season to taste. Add
carrots, celery, cabbage in that order having about 1 minute apart.

When vegetables are crisp tender, make a well in the center. Add 1/2
cup of the chicken broth. Put in the well the dried yellow noodles
(pancit carton). Cover for about 1 minute. Then stir together until
well mixed. Add more broth if too dry. Add soy sauce to taste. The
pancit is ready when noodles are soft. Garnish with chopped green
onions and lemon wedges if you desire. About 4 servings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The only thing I can see is in the Philippines they do not use lemon
wedges. They use an Asian Lime, called Calamansi.
http://www.foodsubs.com/Fruitcit.html

There are many, many other Asian Noodles, such as
" pancit Canton = flour sticks = pancit mian Notes: These dried
yellow Filipino noodles are used to make a dish called pancit.
They're made with wheat flour, coconut oil, and yellow food
coloring. Substitutes: e-fu noodles (very similar) OR rice sticks"

http://www.foodsubs.com/NoodlesWheat.html

The Ramen noodles displayed here can be bought with several squares
of the basic block, coming with out the seasoning package.

Pancit has an un-ending variety of contents and all very delicious.

--
BILL P.
Just Dog
Ranee Mueller

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
> are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
> they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
> -- and make real noodles. -aem

Because they cost 10 cents a package and two feed a family of six.
I'm not saying we eat them a lot, I think the last time we bought 20 of
them, they lasted a year, but they are handy to have around. Just like
we keep some frozen pizzas and even kraft mac n cheese around, for when
we are in a huge hurry and need to eat something without thinking too
much about it, or working much.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Agree, but there are real ramen noodles which are good and really are
> quite different from the "instant ramen" packs under discussion. Its
> like instant coffee compared to freshly brewed coffee or powdered milk
> compared to real milk..

Can you get the same quanity of real ramen noodles for a dime? Or
even 20 cents?

Regards.
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Yeff

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:52:58 -0500, William Boyd wrote:

> There are many, many other Asian Noodles, such as
> " pancit Canton = flour sticks = pancit mian Notes: These dried
> yellow Filipino noodles are used to make a dish called pancit.
> They're made with wheat flour, coconut oil, and yellow food
> coloring. Substitutes: e-fu noodles (very similar) OR rice sticks"

When made with rice noodles it's "Pancit Bihon".

--

-Jeff B. (who was stationed in the Philippines for 4 years)
zoomie at fastmail fm
William Boyd

aem wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>>No more/less mediocre a food than pasta, and ramen is far more
>>convenient to portion and prepare... [snip]

> It's the lousy quality of the noodle, compounded by its being fried,
> that makes it definitely inferior to Italian pasta or Chinese or
> Japanese noodles. The only thing that is "more convenient" is that it
> overcooks really fast.
>
> People who want to dress it up with lots of imaginative and good things
> are welcome to keep doing it. The only part I don't understand is why
> they don't take a few extra minutes -- that's all it is, for chrissakes
> -- and make real noodles. -aem

Sounds a lot like a couple of I TIES here, defending their spegett. ;-)

--
BILL P.
Just Dog

Doug Kanter

Let's put it this way: If you were a student at a place like the Culinary
Institute, and today you made an Asian noodle soup from scratch that was as
salty as the typical ramen crap, you'd either apologize to your teacher
tomorrow, or you would be looking for a different cooking school.

STRATEGY

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > And
> >
> > a pat of butter
> > some soy sauce
> > a few peas
> > some scallion
> > some sesame oil
> > a dash of rice vinegar.
> > several slices of any leafy green vegetable.
> >
> > What ever else suits your fancy.

> A couple scrambled eggs dropped into the boiling liquid.

I drop my eggs in with 30 secs left cooking (they keep cooking anyway)
and they come out poached with the soft yolk like in eggs Benedict.

STRATEGY

> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

aem

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Because they cost 10 cents a package and two feed a family of six.
> I'm not saying we eat them a lot, I think the last time we bought 20 of
> them, they lasted a year, but they are handy to have around. Just like
> we keep some frozen pizzas and even kraft mac n cheese around, for when
> we are in a huge hurry and need to eat something without thinking too
> much about it, or working much.

Well, I don't see how anyone could complain about using ramen 10 times
a year. The way some others post it sounds like they eat ramen 10
times a week, and that seems sad enough to respond to. We eat tj's
version of mac and cheese more often than that. Haven't yet found a
frozen pizza we like but do occasionally try a new one.

Last night it was the sauerbraten and noodles and red cabbage written
about last week. Quite good, but it didn't live up to my memories of
Jake Wirth's. -aem

Witchy Way

Default Ramen Goumet

ROFL

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 22 Oct 2005 11:01:02p, Witchy Way wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Ramen Groumet?

Mutually exclusive terms.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*