tasteless apples

Old 21-10-2005, 09:40 AM
rmg
Usenet poster

Default tasteless apples

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

- rox

Old 21-10-2005, 11:58 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

rmg wrote:
I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small
and hard with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very
fibrous so they're useful for that. What can I do to improve them?
Would they become more inspirational if I cooked them and added
something? I don't really want to add sugar to them. Thanks for any
suggestions.

- rox

Send them to me! They are the only kind of apples my small parrot will eat.
She's picky

Jill

Old 21-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

"rmg" wrote in message
m...
I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

- rox

It's not necessary to add sugar when you cook-them-down into mush
(applesauce). Add a pinch of salt and very little of the spice that you
normally see in an applesauce recipe that appeals to you. Then, thaw and
cook a pork-chop.
Dee Dee

Old 21-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

In article ,
"rmg" wrote:

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

- rox

I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.) but whatever you
wind up doing with it, sweet spices could probably be involved
(cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, allspice, clove) -- not all at
once, though. I made a cherry-apple crisp that would make you weep.
I'm thinking you'll need a fruit with some strong character to prop up
your wimpy apple. Prolly not much help, but it's what I've got right
now. :-/
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Old 21-10-2005, 03:13 PM
The Ranger
Usenet poster

rmg wrote in message
m...
I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are
rather small and hard with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.
They are very fibrous so they're useful for that. What can
I do to improve them? Would they become more inspirational
if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Baked Apples in Harvest Wine
Fried Cinnamon Apples
Apple pie

I use Galas with similar traits for all these items. The cinnamon helps
enhance the missing sugariness.

The Ranger

Old 21-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

rmg wrote:
I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like they were picked immature... probably why they were on
sale... once picked apples do not ripen. Immature apples are an
excellent source of pectin, add to jams/jellies.

Sheldon

Old 21-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"rmg" wrote:

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

- rox

I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.)

From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
"Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor that
"picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that attracts
the eye."

You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say about
almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky eaters?
But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
class students to paint pictures of. :-)

Old 21-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Denny Wheeler
Usenet poster

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:40:22 GMT, "rmg"
wrote:

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh

I've had quite a few Galas and none were like that. I suspect
Sheldon's right about their being picked too early.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Old 22-10-2005, 08:34 AM
rmg
Usenet poster

From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
"Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor

that
"picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that attracts
the eye."

You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say

about
almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky eaters?
But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
class students to paint pictures of. :-)

I really like good Gala apples. But these aren't. Thanks everyone for your
suggestions. Perhaps some baked apple slices with cinnamon.

cheers

rox

Old 22-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

m...

From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
"Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor

that
"picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that
attracts
the eye."

You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say

about
almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky
eaters?
But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
class students to paint pictures of. :-)

I really like good Gala apples. But these aren't. Thanks everyone for your
suggestions. Perhaps some baked apple slices with cinnamon.

cheers

rox

Try Cortlands if you can find them. They'll change your life. There's simply
nothing like a Cortland apple at this time of year.

Old 22-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"rmg" wrote

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.

This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
good.

So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

nancy

Old 23-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

"rmg" wrote

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.

This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
good.

So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

nancy

I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but a
supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:

1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
and/or province, and what country.

Old 23-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"Doug Kanter" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
good.

So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but
a supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:

1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

I don't really notice, but I'm pretty sure they are the same year
round ... macs, grannies, red delicious, maybe galas ... that's about
it. I'm a bad person to ask since we rarely buy apples. Other
stores nearby probably have a wider selection as they have larger
produce departments.

The supermarket I frequent is not known for its produce, that is
not to say it's typical.

Oh, I know I've seen romes on occasion. Nasty apple for
eating.

2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

Don't know.

3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
and/or province, and what country.

Central NJ, USA.

nancy

Old 23-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Doug Kanter
Usenet poster

[...]

If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a syndrome I
can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a guy who works
for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast, Fowler Farms. He says
that at this time of year, they *always* have enough nice, new autumn apples
to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New England. Here, we can get about a dozen
varieties, all from the current harvest, all grown within 50 miles of here.

My company's headquarters is in Long Island, and when I visit, I'm usually
asked to bring apples. Like you, they only seem to get the lamest varieties,
usually from Washington State or overseas, and only those which ship well,
but don't have much taste.

Check the link below and see if there's a Wegman's supermarket nearby. If
so, check there for apples with Fowler Farms stickers on them. If the stores
are anything like the ones here, you'll be pleasantly surprised. And, if
they have Cortland apples, be prepared to eat nothing but apples for a
couple of months. Beginning in a month or so, you'll may notice a shinier
wax on the apples than you see now. Obviously, this is because the harvest
is over and the effort begins to preserve freshness as long as possible.
Fowler does a pretty good job of this. Empire apples tend to last well into
the spring. Cortlands taper off sooner.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/

Old 23-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"Doug Kanter" wrote

If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a syndrome
I can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a guy who
works for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast, Fowler Farms.
He says that at this time of year, they *always* have enough nice, new
autumn apples to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New England. Here, we can get
about a dozen varieties, all from the current harvest, all grown within 50
miles of here.

We do actually still have orchards here, believe it or not, but I don't know
that they sell to the major chains.

[...]

Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I live
about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
just for the apples.

nancy