cathyxyz

Default How to eat pizza - fingers or knife and fork?

Any preference?

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - just curious
Nancy Young

"cathyxyz" > wrote

> Any preference?

There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
food.

Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
a knife and fork. Some people.

nancy

Fork?! Deep dish only.

Andy

cathyxyz wrote:

> Any preference?

If a slice is toppings-heavy, or can't be easily folded, I'll knife and
fork it.

Andy

Dimitri

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Any preference?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

What kind?

Chicago deep dish is one thing NYC Pizza is another.

Dimitri

Nancy Young

"Dimitri" > wrote

> "cathyxyz" > wrote

>> Any preference?

> What kind?
>
> Chicago deep dish is one thing NYC Pizza is another.

The problem is that people think that Chicago stuff is pizza.
It's something else. Casserole, I think.

nancy

kilikini

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Any preference?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

I use my fork; I hate getting my fingers dirty. If it's left-over cold
pizza, I can deal with finger food.

kili

kilikini

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Fork?! Deep dish only.

As a little kid I used to love deep dish pizza, but as I've gotten older, I
find I get too full too quickly on deep dish. Super thin is the way I love
to go and usually only 2 slices at that. (But I still use a fork!)

kili

Dave Smith

cathyxyz wrote:

> Any preference?

With beer.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Any preference?

Pizza is finger food... ;-)
I _have_ used a knife and fork on really HOT
deep dish pizza, but only 'cause it burnt my fingers! <lol>

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "cathyxyz" > wrote
>
> > Any preference?

> There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
> food.
>
> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
> a knife and fork. Some people.
>
> nancy

Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)

Watermelon too.

Sad......

Poor repressed souls!
--
Om.

Doug Freyburger

cathyxyz wrote:

> Any preference?

"Act like the natives". Go to a place that has
sit-down service that sells the sytle of pizza
you want. Watch how most people eat it. Then
do it that way. The answer will be different
in different geographies.

I grew up in Buffalo, NY which is an area where
the pizza places don't even have forks in stock.
Then I moved to Los Angeles, CA which is an area
where everyone uses a fork. Whatever - It's the
how-good of the food not the how-eat of the food
that matters.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Dimitri" > wrote
>
> > "cathyxyz" > wrote

> >> Any preference?

> > What kind?
> >
> > Chicago deep dish is one thing NYC Pizza is another.

> The problem is that people think that Chicago stuff is pizza.
> It's something else. Casserole, I think.
>
> nancy

Calzone?
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> > Any preference?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Cathy(xyz) - just curious

> I use my fork; I hate getting my fingers dirty. If it's left-over cold
> pizza, I can deal with finger food.
>
> kili

Wear gloves. ;-)

I eat pizza with bare fingers,
but I'll wear gloves for mixing
ground beef and making patties......
--
Om.

limey

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> "cathyxyz" > wrote
>>
>> > Any preference?

>> There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
>> food.
>>
>> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
>> a knife and fork. Some people.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>
> Watermelon too.
>
> Sad......
>
> Poor repressed souls!
> --
> Om.

Oh, lordy. I'm a poor, repressed soul. My husband has tried to reform me
with no luck.

Dora

kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
> > "cathyxyz" > wrote
> >
> > > Any preference?

> > There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
> > food.
> >
> > Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
> > a knife and fork. Some people.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>
> Watermelon too.
>
> Sad......
>
> Poor repressed souls!
> --
> Om.

I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
too.

kili

itsjoannotjoann

If it's right out of the oven, then I will use a knife and fork. After
it's cooled to handle safely, it fingers.

And thin crust for me, too!! None of that thick crust stuff for me.
I'm here for the toppings and not a loaf of bread. The crust is just a
way to get all that good gooey stuff into me, although I do like a
flavorful, crispy thin crust.

Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 01:35:34p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
>>> a knife and fork. Some people.

>> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>>
>> Watermelon too.
>>
>> Sad......
>>
>> Poor repressed souls!

> LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.
>
> Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.
>
> Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.

It's frightening. Like something out of a King novel ... normal
seeming people walking around among us ... but they are not what
they seem, they are gremlins in human form. Scary.

nancy

Margaret Suran

limey wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>"Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>

>>>"cathyxyz" > wrote

>>>There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
>>>food.
>>>

>>>nancy

Finger food, of course. Just like Pommes Frites and Asparagus.
Roasted or fried chicken, too. There shouldn't even be a discussion
about these finger foods.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 01:35:34p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> "cathyxyz" > wrote
>>
>> > Any preference?

>> There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger food.
>>
>> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
>> a knife and fork. Some people.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>
> Watermelon too.
>
> Sad......
>
> Poor repressed souls!

LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.

Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.

Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 12:32:01p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cathyxyz wrote:
>
>> Any preference?

> If a slice is toppings-heavy, or can't be easily folded, I'll knife and
> fork it.
>
> Andy

If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy enough to
stand on its own.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
aem

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> cathyxyz wrote:
> >
> > Any preference?

> "Act like the natives". Go to a place that has
> sit-down service that sells the sytle of pizza
> you want. Watch how most people eat it. Then
> do it that way. The answer will be different
> in different geographies.

But why do you care how "most people" act?

> I grew up in Buffalo, NY which is an area where
> the pizza places don't even have forks in stock.
> Then I moved to Los Angeles, CA which is an area
> where everyone uses a fork.

Not even close to true. Of the hundreds of people with whom I've eaten
pizza in L.A., only Dwight and Dave use a fork. Everyone else uses
their fingers.

As to fried chicken, if it's messy to eat it with your fingers then it
is by definition badly fried. It should be dry and crispy on the
outside, juicy inside.

People who eat ribs with knife and fork are just fooling themselves.
They get just as messy as everyone else.

And watermelon?! Not possible. That's just one of Nancy's subtle
jokes. -aem

Dan Abel

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
> too.

On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used knife
and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
eat meat!

:-)

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Dan Abel

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy enough to
> stand on its own.

I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping at
Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 01:35:34p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> In article >,
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>>> "cathyxyz" > wrote

>>> There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger food.
>>>
>>> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
>>> a knife and fork. Some people.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>>
>> Watermelon too.
>>
>> Sad......
>>
>> Poor repressed souls!

> LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.
>
> Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.
>
> Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

If watermelon is not being served to others, and there is only DH and me --
I eat mine with my head hanging over the sink - he hates watermelon.
Actually I've never run across anyone else who didn't like melon. He hates
canteloupe and pouts until it's all eaten because of the smell. That
doesn't bother me at all -- tee hee.
Dee Dee

Andy

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy
>> enough to stand on its own.

> I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping
> at Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.

I fold it enough so the toppings drip back into the slice as I eat, not
off and into my lap.

Andy
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:14:19p, Dan Abel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy
>> enough to stand on its own.

> I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping at
> Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.

That's just to facilitate cramming more in all at once.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Any preference?

Depends on how hot it is.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Finger food, of course. Just like Pommes Frites and Asparagus.
> Roasted or fried chicken, too. There shouldn't even be a discussion
> about these finger foods.

Roasted chicken as finger food? You jest. Put Johnny away, Woman!
He's no good for you!
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Andy

Dan Abel wrote:

> On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
> out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used

knife
> and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
> fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
> eat meat!

Knife and forkin' a hamburger?? That's just wrong! That's hands-on
eating, like hot-dogs and... and... mashed potatoes.

Andy
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:38:52p, Andy wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
>> On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
>> out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used
>> knife and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife
>> and fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen
>> him eat meat!

> Knife and forkin' a hamburger?? That's just wrong! That's hands-on
> eating, like hot-dogs and... and... mashed potatoes.
>
> Andy

Yes, it's so comforting to take a wad of mashed potatoes in my hand and
cram it in my mouth. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dee Randall

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

>> I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
>> too.

> On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
> out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used knife
> and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
> fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
> eat meat!
>

> :-)
>
> --
> Dan Abel
>
> Petaluma, California, USA

Hmm - did he have a choice of his order, other than burgers?
At last - he wanted to be one of the guys?
Dee Dee

Sheldon

Dee Randall wrote:

> If watermelon is not being served to others, and there is only DH and me --
> I eat mine with my head hanging over the sink - he hates watermelon.
> Actually I've never run across anyone else who didn't like melon. He hates
> canteloupe and pouts until it's all eaten because of the smell.

But canteloupe smells like breast cleavage... only *** males don't
appreciate melons.

Sheldon Musk

Dee Randall

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>

>> If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy
>> enough to
>> stand on its own.

> I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping at
> Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.
>
> --
> Dan Abel
>
> Petaluma, California, USA

And really sloppy!
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:58:36p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my

hamburgers,
>>> too.

>> On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
>> out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used knife
>> and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
>> fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
>> eat meat!
>>

>> :-)
>>
>> --
>> Dan Abel
>>
>> Petaluma, California, USA

> Hmm - did he have a choice of his order, other than burgers?
> At last - he wanted to be one of the guys?
> Dee Dee

If it's a large burger, then I like to cut it in half, but I don't cut it
up by the bite.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Arri London

cathyxyz wrote:

> Any preference?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

Knife and fork. Who needs a burnt roof of the mouth LOL?
Dan Abel

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >

> >> I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
> >> too.

> > On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
> > out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used knife
> > and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
> > fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
> > eat meat!

> Hmm - did he have a choice of his order, other than burgers?

It was called "Mom's Boarding House", and had the usual lunch stuff,
maybe two or three pages worth.

> At last - he wanted to be one of the guys?

Well, our boss is female, and sometimes most of the group was female.
He also has two daughters and a wife.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Nancy Young

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> "Dan Abel" > wrote
>>
>> I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping at
>> Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.

> And really sloppy!

Youns made me hungry for pizza, so that was dinner. Sausage
and peppers. Picked up the first slice, bent the crust in half and
ate it from the pointy end up. As it should be eaten. Proceeded
to repeat with the second slice, that was enough.

nancy