Dan Abel

Default How to eat pizza - fingers or knife and fork?

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:14:19p, Dan Abel wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> >> If i's thin enough to be folded, I don't want it. I want it sturdy
> >> enough to stand on its own.

> > I had never seen people fold pizza to eat it until I started shopping at
> > Costco. It makes sense, though, because the slices are enormous.

> That's just to facilitate cramming more in all at once.

Not to be argumentative, but as Andy posted, if you get the combo (and I
always do, I think it's the same price), the stuff just falls off.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
cathyxyz > wrote:

> Any preference?

Whatever works for you is fine for you. For me, I usually treat pizza as
finger food.
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>Finger food, of course. Just like Pommes Frites and Asparagus.
>>Roasted or fried chicken, too. There shouldn't even be a discussion
>>about these finger foods.

> Roasted chicken as finger food? You jest. Put Johnny away, Woman!
> He's no good for you!

Of course, roasted chicken, too. How else can you get all the meat
off the bones? Only with your teeth and you have to hold the piece of
chicken with your fingers. And lick them afterwards.

The olives are on he way!
limey

"kilikini" > wrote in message
om...

> "cathyxyz" > wrote in message
>> Any preference?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

> I use my fork; I hate getting my fingers dirty. If it's left-over cold
> pizza, I can deal with finger food.
>
> kili

Soul mate! That's my reason for knife and forking food. It's the way I
was raised and it's impossible to shake it now.

Dora

Andy

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

>> Yes, it's so comforting to take a wad of mashed potatoes in my hand

and
>> cram it in my mouth. :-)

> Don't you know anything Wayne? You take the wad and shove it in

someone
> else's mouth, not you own =
>
> Michael <- should quit while he's ahead

You should've signed off:

Michael <- Inciting the Thursday food fight

Andy
Dan Abel

In article > ,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:

> "Sheldon" > looking for trouble wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >> >
> >> If watermelon is not being served to others, and there is only DH and
> >> me -- I eat mine with my head hanging over the sink - he hates
> >> watermelon. Actually I've never run across anyone else who didn't
> >> like melon. He hates canteloupe and pouts until it's all eaten
> >> because of the smell.

> > But canteloupe smells like breast cleavage... only *** males don't
> > appreciate melons.
> >
> > Sheldon Musk

> Hmmm... I always wondered why I did not like cantelope. Now I know.

I used to work in a produce warehouse. We would get whole boxcars of
them, and they weren't refrigerated. They didn't smell of breast
cleavage, but a different part of female anatomy, especially when not
bathed for a while.

I hope nobody was eating dinner while reading this.

:-(

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Nancy Young

"Margaret Suran" > wrote

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>>

>>>Finger food, of course. Just like Pommes Frites and Asparagus. Roasted
>>>or fried chicken, too. There shouldn't even be a discussion about these
>>>finger foods.

>> Roasted chicken as finger food? You jest. Put Johnny away, Woman! He's
>> no good for you!

> Of course, roasted chicken, too. How else can you get all the meat off
> the bones? Only with your teeth and you have to hold the piece of chicken
> with your fingers. And lick them afterwards.

Heh, who was it here who laughed at me for eating pork chops with a
knife and fork. Hey, only until it was mostly bone, then all bets were
off.

nancy

Sheldon

kilikini wrote:

> I eat fried chicken with a fork. and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
> too.

Have you seen a shrink recently? My cats don't need any stinkin' fork,
no fingers either.

Sheldon Jaws

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 04:15:04p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :

>>> Knife and forkin' a hamburger?? That's just wrong! That's hands-on
>>> eating, like hot-dogs and... and... mashed potatoes.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Yes, it's so comforting to take a wad of mashed potatoes in my hand and
>> cram it in my mouth. :-)

> Don't you know anything Wayne? You take the wad and shove it in someone
> else's mouth, not you own =
>
> Michael <- should quit while he's ahead

The thought has crossed my mind many times! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 04:45:10p, Dan Abel wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article > ,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" > wrote:
>
>> "Sheldon" > looking for trouble wrote in
>> oups.com:

>> > But canteloupe smells like breast cleavage... only *** males don't
>> > appreciate melons.
>> >
>> > Sheldon Musk

>> Hmmm... I always wondered why I did not like cantelope. Now I know.

> I used to work in a produce warehouse. We would get whole boxcars of
> them, and they weren't refrigerated. They didn't smell of breast
> cleavage, but a different part of female anatomy, especially when not
> bathed for a while.
>
> I hope nobody was eating dinner while reading this.
>
>:-(

I know I'm glad I wasn't! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Bob Terwilliger

Michael wrote:

> Don't you know anything Wayne? You take the wad and shove it in someone
> else's mouth, not you own =

Are we still talking about potatoes?

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:38:04p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Michael wrote:
>
>> Don't you know anything Wayne? You take the wad and shove it in someone
>> else's mouth, not you own =

> Are we still talking about potatoes?
>
> Bob

Well, *I* was! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Margaret Suran > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Margaret Suran > wrote:
> >

> >>Finger food, of course. Just like Pommes Frites and Asparagus.
> >>Roasted or fried chicken, too. There shouldn't even be a discussion
> >>about these finger foods.

> > Roasted chicken as finger food? You jest. Put Johnny away, Woman!
> > He's no good for you!

> Of course, roasted chicken, too. How else can you get all the meat
> off the bones? Only with your teeth and you have to hold the piece of
> chicken with your fingers. And lick them afterwards.

Ah, of course! Silly me. I consider picking the bones an entirely
separate category from "eating".

> The olives are on he way!

I'm down to about 8. God loves you, Dearie, but not as much as I do!
Sot! (We'll have them wondering, won't we, Margaret?)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > > "cathyxyz" > wrote

> > > There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger
> > > food.
> > >
> > > Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
> > > a knife and fork. Some people.
> > >
> > > nancy
> > >

> > Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
> >
> > Watermelon too.
> >
> > Sad......
> >
> > Poor repressed souls!
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
> too.
>
> kili

But it's _fun_ to get a bit messy now and then! :-D
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 01:35:34p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> "cathyxyz" > wrote

> >> There is no preference. There is only one way. Pizza is finger food.
> >>
> >> Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
> >> a knife and fork. Some people.
> >>
> >> nancy
> >>

> > Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
> >
> > Watermelon too.
> >
> > Sad......
> >
> > Poor repressed souls!

> LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.
>
> Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.
>
> Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.

But, but... That takes all the FUN out of it! :-)
The watermelon juice is supposed to run all down your chin!
Proper watermelon eating requires a shower when you are done.....

;-D ;-d ;-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote:

> If it's right out of the oven, then I will use a knife and fork. After
> it's cooled to handle safely, it fingers.
>
> And thin crust for me, too!! None of that thick crust stuff for me.
> I'm here for the toppings and not a loaf of bread. The crust is just a
> way to get all that good gooey stuff into me, although I do like a
> flavorful, crispy thin crust.

My mom taught me to save the crusts... then re-heat them later and smear
butter all over them. ;-d

I also freeze some of the crusts for my cockatoo.
She really likes them!

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> >> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
> >>
> >> Watermelon too.
> >>
> >> Sad......
> >>
> >> Poor repressed souls!

> > LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.
> >
> > Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.
> >
> > Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.

> It's frightening. Like something out of a King novel ... normal
> seeming people walking around among us ... but they are not what
> they seem, they are gremlins in human form. Scary.
>
> nancy

<lol!!!>
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
> > out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used

> knife
> > and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
> > fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
> > eat meat!

> Knife and forkin' a hamburger?? That's just wrong! That's hands-on
> eating, like hot-dogs and... and... mashed potatoes.
>
> Andy

Tacos......

French fries?

MASHED POTATOES???

--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 01:56:15p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

>>> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
>>>
>>> Watermelon too.
>>>
>>> Sad......
>>>
>>> Poor repressed souls!

>> LOL! Pizza with a knife and fork until I get to the perimeter.
>>
>> Fried chicken with a knife and fork until it's cool enough to pick up.
>>
>> Watermelon with a knife and fork if I'm eating it inside.

> It's frightening. Like something out of a King novel ... normal
> seeming people walking around among us ... but they are not what
> they seem, they are gremlins in human form. Scary.

Hey, some folks were born with a silver spoon in the mouths. I was born
with a knife and fork in my hands, and eating with them was enforced!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Mark D

In Chicago back in the '50's, and 60's (God I'm showing my age here!
lol) there was no such thing as Deep Dish Pizza.

I believe that was some invention by "Ike" whatever his last name was
(Siwell?) at Pizzeria Uno.

Sure, it's become popular in Chicago at places like Uno's, Due,
Malnati's, etc, but there are still many famous Pizzerias that
specialize with thier thin crust.

Thin Crust should be able to be eaten with the fingers/hands without
assistance from a knife, or fork. If one cannot pick it up, it is
raw/soggy, and undercooked, or not made right.

40 Years ago, Taylor St. in Chicago (Where I used to live) used to have
many fine pizzerias/bakeries. Those days are long gone. My good buddy
Bobby Didiano in Chicago owns 14 pizzerias! (Baci pizza) Not bad for a
37 year old guy, huh?! Mark D.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 07:52:54p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 05:38:04p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:

>>> Are we still talking about potatoes?
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Well, *I* was! :-)

> Of course we're still talking about potatoes... Oh Gawd could I fly with
> this one =:O)
>
> Michael

I think you better stay grounded! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
hob

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Any preference?

absolutely no knives or forks when eating pizza after drinking.

"Sword-fights" done by drunks after pizza end up in flying pizza and
bar-clearing fights.

You can poke an eye out with flying pizza crust.

> --
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

AL

It depends. I use my finger for thin crust or regular crust pizza. But
there is no way I could lift a slice of Lou Malnati's (my favorite) or
Giordano's pizza with my fingers, so I have to use a knife and fork. Here
in the Chicago area, there's pizza that can't physical be eaten without
utensils.

Nancy Young

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote

>> I think you better stay grounded! :-)

> Yes, I think you are right but I really don't know what to do with all
> this
> potato water.

Is that what they're calling it these days.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 09:03:36p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 07:52:54p, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote
>>> in :

>>> Of course we're still talking about potatoes... Oh Gawd could I fly
>>> with this one =:O)
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> I think you better stay grounded! :-)

> Yes, I think you are right but I really don't know what to do with all
> this potato water.
>
> Michael

Be careful!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 09:12:26p, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
>> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote

>>> I think you better stay grounded! :-)

>> Yes, I think you are right but I really don't know what to do with all
>> this potato water.

> Is that what they're calling it these days.
>
> nancy

I just spit pizza on the monitor!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
sf

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:16:43 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:

> Any preference?

When it's too hot to handle, I dive in with a knife and fork of
course... after it's cooled (which only takes a couple of minutes), I
prefer to use my hands.

The real question is: hot peppers or not?
Chris Neidecker

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> cathyxyz wrote:
>>
>> Any preference?

> I grew up in Buffalo, NY which is an area where
> the pizza places don't even have forks in stock.

Buffalo pizza! Ah, I miss it so. I grew up there, too.

I'm a hands person for sure, but I have to cut the pizza up for my kids.

My 5-yr-old daughter likes the point cut off and discarded, so she can pick
up the rest of the slice with ease.

My 8-year-old has a palate expander, so for him to bite into a cheesy slice
of hot pizza is just asking for trouble -- if there's too much cheese, it
just packs into and around the expander. The first time he ate pizza with
that thing, he was so frustrated that he cried. So for now, a fork for him.
He'll be done w/ the expander, soon, though (I wonder how he'll do w/ braces
and pizza down the line?).

Chris

sf

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:38:52 -0500, Andy wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > On my last day of work before retirement, August 19, my group took me
> > out to lunch. Most of us had burgers, and the guy next to me used

> knife
> > and fork. It was pretty weird, not so much because of the knife and
> > fork, but because in the 20 years I had known him I had never seen him
> > eat meat!

> Knife and forkin' a hamburger?? That's just wrong! That's hands-on
> eating, like hot-dogs and... and... mashed potatoes.

Maybe he was low carbing... Dan didn't mention a bun.

sf

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:24:13 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> I've never run across anyone else who didn't like melon. He hates
> canteloupe and pouts until it's all eaten because of the smell. That
> doesn't bother me at all -- tee hee.

You are a wicked woman, Dee.
sf

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:12:38 GMT, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
> >
> > Geez, next we'll have people eating ribs and fried chicken with
> > a knife and fork. Some people.
> >
> > nancy

> You're lucky. You weren't raised at my house. UGH... Fried chicken was
> always eaten with a knife and fork. However it was perfectly acceptable to
> eat the asparagus with the fingers.

That was just plain bass ackwards!
sf

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:36:21 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> > >
> > > Chicago deep dish is one thing NYC Pizza is another.

> > The problem is that people think that Chicago stuff is pizza.
> > It's something else. Casserole, I think.
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Calzone?

No - calzone is a pizza turnover.
cathyxyz

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:16:43 +0200, cathyxyz wrote:
>

>> Any preference?

> When it's too hot to handle, I dive in with a knife and fork of
> course... after it's cooled (which only takes a couple of minutes), I
> prefer to use my hands.
>
> The real question is: hot peppers or not?

LOL. Thanks guys, you made my morning with your comments

Me, I like using my fingers to eat pizza (whenever possible) but DH
always uses his knife and fork and tells me I am not "civilized" As
for the deep dish pizza - no thanks. As someone pointed out, you might
as well be eating a casserole.

Watermelon is strictly finger food too.

As for chicken - my Mom always said "If it has wings, you can eat it
with your fingers". heh heh.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz) - who has just to check if the neighbor's cows have wings...
kilikini

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
1...
> "kilikini" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> >> Actually, I've seen people eat fried chicken with a knife and fork. ;-)
> >>
> >> Watermelon too.
> >>
> >> Sad......
> >>
> >> Poor repressed souls!
> >> --
> >> Om.
> >>

> > I eat fried chicken with a fork......... and ribs. I cut my hamburgers,
> > too.
> >
> > kili

> I'll bet you just slap TFM's on the plate and tell him to have at it. No
> cutlery required <HUGE GRIN>.
>
> Michael

Michael, he's not happy unless he's got grease running down his arm, onto
his shirt, on the furniture, then on the floor. What does he use as a
napkin? The back of his hand. He's a barbarian.

kili

kilikini

"limey" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> >> Any preference?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Cathy(xyz) - just curious

> > I use my fork; I hate getting my fingers dirty. If it's left-over cold
> > pizza, I can deal with finger food.
> >
> > kili

> Soul mate! That's my reason for knife and forking food. It's the way I
> was raised and it's impossible to shake it now.
>
> Dora

Aha! I knew I wasn't the only one! :~)

kili

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> I also freeze some of the crusts for my cockatoo.
> She really likes them!
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.

Wondering if your cockatoo wouldn't like some of the slice too, if it
was more convenient?

Andy
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Any preference?

With mouth!
Pandora

cathyxyz

Pandora wrote:
> "cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Any preference?

> With mouth!
> Pandora

LOL. Okay... am trying to picture this!! Look Ma, no hands!

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Pandora

"cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> "cathyxyz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>>>Any preference?

>> With mouth!
>> Pandora

> LOL. Okay... am trying to picture this!! Look Ma, no hands!

ROTFL! No hands, no fingers, no fork. Only mouth and tongue
Pan