The foody

Default Looking for "Petit Pate de Pezenas" recipe

Hello everybody.

I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.

I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
pastries, but no recipes)

I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.

If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
know.

Kind regards,

Reg

The foody wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
> called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.
>
> I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
> lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
> on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
> pastries, but no recipes)
>
> I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
> few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.
>
> If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
> know.

Try this, second recipe down

<http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canalmidi.com%2Fterre de%2Fgastrono.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools>

If you read french, the original is here

<http://www.canalmidi.com/terrede/gastrono.html>

Arri London

The foody wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
> called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.
>
> I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
> lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
> on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
> pastries, but no recipes)
>
> I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
> few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.
>
> If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
> know.
>
> Kind regards,

Do you read French?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.huot-ma...recette963.htm

Otherwise (and I haven't made these):

500 g flour
250 g lard

Mix in a bowl with three pinches salt and enough cold water to make a
ball of dough. Wrap and leave in a cool place overnight.

400 g lamb
125 g kidney fat (suet)
2 untreated lemons
400 g unrefined sugar
nutmeg, cinnamon
1 egg yolk beaten
salt and white pepper

Mince the lamb and kidney fat together. Add the grated zest from the
lemons. Mix in the sugar in portions; add salt and pepper. Add grated
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.

Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 6 or 7 mm.
Use a glass or cup to cut pairs of rounds of 6 cm across. Spoon mounds
of filling on half the rounds. Cover carefully with the other half and
seal the edges. Brush with the egg yolk.

Bake at 210 C for about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.
The foody

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to these at Christmas - or
maybe next week as a little test!

"Reg" > wrote in message
.. .
> The foody wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
>> called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW
>> France.
>>
>> I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with
>> minced lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single
>> recipe for them on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of
>> references to the pastries, but no recipes)
>>
>> I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near
>> Pezenas a few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.
>>
>> If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
>> know.

> Try this, second recipe down
>
> <http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canalmidi.com%2Fterre de%2Fgastrono.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools>
>
> If you read french, the original is here
>
> <http://www.canalmidi.com/terrede/gastrono.html>
>
> --
> Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

The foody

From not finding anything on Google, I now have three recipes thanks to you
and another poster.

I think I'll try them all before Christmas!

Regards,

Frank

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> The foody wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody.
>>
>> I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
>> called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW
>> France.
>>
>> I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with
>> minced
>> lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for
>> them
>> on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
>> pastries, but no recipes)
>>
>> I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near
>> Pezenas a
>> few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.
>>
>> If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
>> know.
>>
>> Kind regards,

> Do you read French?
>
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.huot-ma...recette963.htm
>
> Otherwise (and I haven't made these):
>
> 500 g flour
> 250 g lard
>
> Mix in a bowl with three pinches salt and enough cold water to make a
> ball of dough. Wrap and leave in a cool place overnight.
>

> 400 g lamb
> 125 g kidney fat (suet)
> 2 untreated lemons
> 400 g unrefined sugar
> nutmeg, cinnamon
> 1 egg yolk beaten
> salt and white pepper
>
> Mince the lamb and kidney fat together. Add the grated zest from the
> lemons. Mix in the sugar in portions; add salt and pepper. Add grated
> nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.
>
> Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 6 or 7 mm.
> Use a glass or cup to cut pairs of rounds of 6 cm across. Spoon mounds
> of filling on half the rounds. Cover carefully with the other half and
> seal the edges. Brush with the egg yolk.
>
> Bake at 210 C for about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.

Reg

The foody wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to these at Christmas - or
> maybe next week as a little test!

Oh, I always do a test run myself. It takes off some of the
pressure on game day.

I love pates and terrines. It looks like a nice dish. Please
post back with your results.

The foody

> I love pates and terrines. It looks like a nice dish. Please
> post back with your results.

I will.

These pastries are more like meat-based savoury mince pies than a pate or
terrine as we normally think of them.

I've had them in the town of Pezenas where they originated - and they are
truly lovely, so I hope the recipes hold up!

I'll let everybody know how things went.

Regards,

.. .