Looking for "Petit Pate de Pezenas" recipe

Old 18-10-2005, 12:00 AM
The foody
Usenet poster

Default Looking for "Petit Pate de Pezenas" recipe

Hello everybody.

I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.

I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
pastries, but no recipes)

I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.

If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
know.

Kind regards,

Old 18-10-2005, 01:11 AM
Reg
Usenet poster

The foody wrote:

Hello everybody.

I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.

I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
pastries, but no recipes)

I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.

If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
know.

Try this, second recipe down

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.canalmidi.com%2Fterre de%2Fgastrono.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

If you read french, the original is here

http://www.canalmidi.com/terrede/gastrono.html

Old 18-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Arri London
Usenet poster

The foody wrote:

Hello everybody.

I'm hoping that somebody out there knows of a recipe for a small pastry
called "Petit Pate" famous in Pezenas in the Languedoc region of SW France.

I know that they are made from a hot water crust pastry filled with minced
lamb, lemon zest and mixed spice - but I can't find a single recipe for them
on any sites I've searched on through Google (plenty of references to the
pastries, but no recipes)

I was fortunate enough to have sampled them whilst on holiday near Pezenas a
few years ago and would love to make them at Christmas time.

If you happen to know a recipe you'd be willing to share, please let me
know.

Kind regards,

Do you read French?

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/yves.huot-ma...recette963.htm

Otherwise (and I haven't made these):

500 g flour
250 g lard

Mix in a bowl with three pinches salt and enough cold water to make a
ball of dough. Wrap and leave in a cool place overnight.

400 g lamb
125 g kidney fat (suet)
2 untreated lemons
400 g unrefined sugar
nutmeg, cinnamon
1 egg yolk beaten
salt and white pepper

Mince the lamb and kidney fat together. Add the grated zest from the
lemons. Mix in the sugar in portions; add salt and pepper. Add grated
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste.

Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to a thickness of 6 or 7 mm.
Use a glass or cup to cut pairs of rounds of 6 cm across. Spoon mounds
of filling on half the rounds. Cover carefully with the other half and
seal the edges. Brush with the egg yolk.

Bake at 210 C for about 30 minutes. Serve straight from the oven.
Old 20-10-2005, 04:36 AM
The foody
Usenet poster

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to these at Christmas - or
maybe next week as a little test!

"Reg" wrote in message
.. .

Old 20-10-2005, 04:39 AM
The foody
Usenet poster

From not finding anything on Google, I now have three recipes thanks to you
and another poster.

I think I'll try them all before Christmas!

Regards,

Frank

Old 20-10-2005, 05:11 AM
Reg
Usenet poster

The foody wrote:

Thank you very much for your help. I look forward to these at Christmas - or
maybe next week as a little test!

Oh, I always do a test run myself. It takes off some of the
pressure on game day.

I love pates and terrines. It looks like a nice dish. Please
post back with your results.

Old 22-10-2005, 01:18 AM
The foody
Usenet poster

I love pates and terrines. It looks like a nice dish. Please
post back with your results.

I will.

These pastries are more like meat-based savoury mince pies than a pate or
terrine as we normally think of them.

I've had them in the town of Pezenas where they originated - and they are
truly lovely, so I hope the recipes hold up!

I'll let everybody know how things went.

Regards,

"Reg" wrote in message
.. .

Recipe Trade Jess General Cooking 9 11-09-2005 07:58 PM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 02-09-2005 05:31 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 2 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 17-04-2005 05:28 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 0 17-04-2005 05:28 AM
Tapioca-my new secret delight Goomba38 General Cooking 32 05-04-2004 11:28 PM