~patches~

Default Christmas Cookbook Idea

Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
What do you think?
Janet Bostwick

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple are
> very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year I'm
> creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with pics.
> And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll print out all
> the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the back then take
> them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound. They will charge $10
> per book and each book will be engraved with *Our Family Favourite
> Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue for the covers. I
> think it will make a nice gift for each of them. What do you think?

I think it's a wonderful idea that your children will thank you for. How
often in these cooking/baking groups have we seen a request from a poster
trying to track down something that Mom made?

I've done something slightly similar, only I used a 3-ring binder and sheet
protectors. I must confess I never thought of having it bound. My thought
was that I eventually did that with the typed and handwritten recipes that I
received from my mother and that arrangement turned out to be very
convenient for using the recipes for cooking. I used the 3-ring binders
that allow you to slip cover, back and spine sheets under the clear plastic
covering of the binder. This arrangement has allowed me to pass on new
recipes that I have just tried and liked or additional recipe requests.
Janet

Nancy1

~patches~ wrote:
> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
> I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
> pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
> print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
> back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
> They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
> Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
> for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
> What do you think?

When I did this a while ago, it certainly stopped the kids from calling
and asking for recipes over the phone ;-) I called mine, "Family
Favorites," and cheerfully listed sources for everything in it, whether
it was me, my mom, my grandma, my ex's MIL, my son's 2 ex-partners, or
Martha Stewart. I put a dedication in the front, and our two favorite
family meal-time prayers in the back, along with some funny food
quotes, and about a half dozen blank pages. I'm adding recipes on the
blank pages using the same paper stock as the regular pages, and
putting them on with a laminate film. Pretty neat. It cost me $5 each
to get them properly trimmed and spiral bound. I picked out some
clip-art to decorate just some of the recipes. I printed only 6 copies
(just for me, my kids' families, my granddaughter and my one son's
exes. I used a cover stock for the front and back and put a heavy,
clear acetate cover on top of that.

Naturally, I think your idea is great ;-)

N.

Puester

~patches~ wrote:
> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
> I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
> pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
> print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
> back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
> They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
> Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
> for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them. What
> do you think?

Cool! IIRC, Dimitri did a similar thing for his daughters.
It's a loving thing to do. Make sure you include the recipes they
really love so they don't disappear after you do.

gloria p
Chris Neidecker

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple are
> very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year I'm
> creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with pics.
> And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll print out all
> the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the back then take
> them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound. They will charge $10
> per book and each book will be engraved with *Our Family Favourite
> Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue for the covers. I
> think it will make a nice gift for each of them. What do you think?

Wonderful gift! I wish my mom would do that with her best recipes (but it
would be a pretty short book). I wish my next door neighbor (in her 80s and
a *wonderful* old-fashioned baker) would do that too...I've toyed w/ the
idea of approaching her about making a book, with the intention that I'd do
the work, she'd supply the recipes, and there would be copies for her loved
ones (plus me).

A friend of mine has made a series of cookbooks with her favorite recipes
over the past several years. She is in her 30s, so is still accumulating
favorites and specialties. She has her books spiral bound, which is nice
for having the book lie flat. She includes pithy food quotes, notes about
each recipe, and family photos. She laminated the covers, too. I would
guess she has saved copies for her children, but has also handed them out to
friends. I received one volume as a hostess gift -- and a very unique and
charming gift it was!

Chris

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
> I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
> pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
> print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
> back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
> They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
> Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
> for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
> What do you think?

If you really want to give them something to treasure, start now and
handwrite those recipes instead of doing them on a 'puter. Handwritten
recipes are a treasure; 'puterized ones are a dime a dozen. JMNSHO.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
>>are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
>>I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
>>pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
>>print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
>>back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
>>They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
>>Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
>>for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
>>What do you think?

> If you really want to give them something to treasure, start now and
> handwrite those recipes instead of doing them on a 'puter. Handwritten
> recipes are a treasure; 'puterized ones are a dime a dozen. JMNSHO.

I'm heavily into scrapbooking so thought I would do the books along that
lines complete with hand journaling. I think I will do the actual
recipes in type font just so they are clear but my comments will all be
hand written. I don't have a lot more to do since it has been somewhat
of a year long project but I want to leave enough time for the
bookbinders. They take a couple of days but I want to be sure
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> I'm heavily into scrapbooking so thought I would do the books along that
> lines complete with hand journaling. I think I will do the actual
> recipes in type font just so they are clear but my comments will all be
> hand written. I don't have a lot more to do since it has been somewhat
> of a year long project but I want to leave enough time for the
> bookbinders. They take a couple of days but I want to be sure

This is such a neat idea. I will have to remember it. I am
scrapbook stupid, and I always have other things going, but a friend of
mine is into it, so when she next invites us over to do stuff like this,
I have a plan.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> ~patches~ > wrote:
>>

>>>Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
>>>are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
>>>I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
>>>pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll print
>>>out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the back then
>>>take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound. They will
>>>charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our Family
>>>Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue for the
>>>covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them. What do you
>>>think?

>> If you really want to give them something to treasure, start now and
>> handwrite those recipes instead of doing them on a 'puter. Handwritten
>> recipes are a treasure; 'puterized ones are a dime a dozen. JMNSHO.

> I'm heavily into scrapbooking so thought I would do the books along that
> lines complete with hand journaling. I think I will do the actual recipes
> in type font just so they are clear but my comments will all be hand
> written. I don't have a lot more to do since it has been somewhat of a
> year long project but I want to leave enough time for the bookbinders.
> They take a couple of days but I want to be sure

My husband just finished a large project of hand-written recipes back into
the 1880's of his ancestors. Believe me, no one would want these things
that had been put in boxes in the attic. We are lucky they were saved. He
decided to scan about 200 pages of recipes and put them on CD's. If anyone
wants to print them out on nice paper, bind them into a book, they are still
in a state of "handwritten" but not full of dust, dirt, mites and all the
other things time has wrought.
Just another way of doing things. I don't think of these
computerized-generated recipes as a dime a dozen. More likely they will live
on for a few more generations, whereas they might not have even made it
through the generations otherwise.
Food for thought,
Dee Dee

jmcquown

~patches~ wrote:
> Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this
> year I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete
> with pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL.
> I'll print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper
> at the back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard
> bound. They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved
> with *Our Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy
> or navy blue for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for
> each of them. What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea and include food pics if you can. My mom wasn't
much into cooking but she did prepare a few things I still love. Go for it!

Jill

Kathy in NZ

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:26:13 -0400, ~patches~
> wrote:

>Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
>are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
>I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
>pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
>print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
>back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
>They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
>Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
>for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
>What do you think?

I think that's a wonderful idea. There's something special about the
recipes you grrew up with. They may not be gourmet (or maybe they are)
but they're the taste of home, of comfort, of memories.

Kathy

Nancy1

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> > are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
> > I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
> > pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
> > print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
> > back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
> > They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
> > Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
> > for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them.
> > What do you think?

> If you really want to give them something to treasure, start now and
> handwrite those recipes instead of doing them on a 'puter. Handwritten
> recipes are a treasure; 'puterized ones are a dime a dozen. JMNSHO.

Too much arthritis (from sewing).... ;-)

N.

pfoley

Yes, it is a great idea!

"Puester" > wrote in message
> ~patches~ wrote:
> > Here's what I'm thinking of doing for my kids for Christmas. A couple
> > are very serious foodies and the others are just foodies. So this year
> > I'm creating a cookbook of our favourite family recipes complete with
> > pics. And you guys thought the pics were just for you - LOL. I'll
> > print out all the recipes & add about 10 sheets of lined paper at the
> > back then take them to our local bookbinder to have them hard bound.
> > They will charge $10 per book and each book will be engraved with *Our
> > Family Favourite Recipes*. I'm debating between burgundy or navy blue
> > for the covers. I think it will make a nice gift for each of them. What
> > do you think?

> Cool! IIRC, Dimitri did a similar thing for his daughters.
> It's a loving thing to do. Make sure you include the recipes they
> really love so they don't disappear after you do.
>
> gloria p

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> If you really want to give them something to treasure, start now and
> >> handwrite those recipes instead of doing them on a 'puter. Handwritten
> >> recipes are a treasure; 'puterized ones are a dime a dozen. JMNSHO.

> My husband just finished a large project of hand-written recipes back into
> the 1880's of his ancestors. Believe me, no one would want these things
> that had been put in boxes in the attic. We are lucky they were saved. He
> decided to scan about 200 pages of recipes and put them on CD's. If anyone
> wants to print them out on nice paper, bind them into a book, they are still
> in a state of "handwritten" but not full of dust, dirt, mites and all the
> other things time has wrought.
> Just another way of doing things. I don't think of these
> computerized-generated recipes as a dime a dozen. More likely they will live
> on for a few more generations, whereas they might not have even made it
> through the generations otherwise.
> Food for thought,
> Dee Dee

Sure. I was trying to say that the sentimental value of seeing a recipe
written in whoever's own hand is more to be treasured than a treasured
recipe in a typewritten form. IME. Your husband's work is worthy of
admiration. "-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 14 Oct 2005 03:45:55p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>> My husband just finished a large project of hand-written recipes back
>> into the 1880's of his ancestors. Believe me, no one would want these
>> things that had been put in boxes in the attic. We are lucky they were
>> saved. He decided to scan about 200 pages of recipes and put them on
>> CD's. If anyone wants to print them out on nice paper, bind them into
>> a book, they are still in a state of "handwritten" but not full of
>> dust, dirt, mites and all the other things time has wrought.
>> Just another way of doing things. I don't think of these
>> computerized-generated recipes as a dime a dozen. More likely they will
>> live on for a few more generations, whereas they might not have even
>> made it through the generations otherwise.
>> Food for thought,
>> Dee Dee

> Sure. I was trying to say that the sentimental value of seeing a recipe
> written in whoever's own hand is more to be treasured than a treasured
> recipe in a typewritten form. IME. Your husband's work is worthy of
> admiration. "-)

Back in the late 1950s/early 1960s, I took shoe boxes full of my mother's
and other relative's recipes, along with favored clippings, and typed out
each one of them on index cards using a very old manual typewriter. My
mother was proud of that "new" collection, but we also kept th originals
and stored them. In the late 1990s when mom was breaking up housekeeping,
she decided that she didn't "need" those orignals anymore. The index cards
had become old enough themselves. :-) I have the index cards now, and in
spite of having transferred all the recipes to MasterCook, I still go back
to the cards when I use the recipes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg