Denise~*

Default Marinated Artichokes

I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
her husband made it).

Now I am eager to try different things

Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
(quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...

besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Puester

Denise~* wrote:

> I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
> love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
> her husband made it).
>
> Now I am eager to try different things
>
> Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
> salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
> (quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
> besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

Chop and mix with well-drained canned tuna and chopped,
bottled roasted red peppers and a bit of sweet onion.
Spread on crusty rolls or sliced baguette.

gloria p
JimLane

Denise~* wrote:

> I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
> love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
> her husband made it).
>
> Now I am eager to try different things
>
> Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
> salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
> (quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
> besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
>
> A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
> A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
> "Damn...that was fun!"

Omelet with feta cheese.

jim
Tara

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:01:05 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

>I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
>love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
>her husband made it).
>
>Now I am eager to try different things
>
>Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
>salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
>(quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
>besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

How about some antipasta for lunch? Make a nice plate with your
marinated artichokes, some olives, cheese, salami, proscuittio,
celery.

I'd love to have the salad recipe, please!

Tara

byakee

Hark! I heard Denise~* > say:

> I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
> love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
> her husband made it).

I remember Ranee, but not the salad -- could you post the recipe?

> Now I am eager to try different things
>
> Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
> salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
> (quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
> besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

Well, Grandmother liked them in a martini...

--
J.J. in WA (Change COLD to HOT for e-mail)
~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~

Denise~*

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:26:00 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>>besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

>How about some antipasta for lunch? Make a nice plate with your
>marinated artichokes, some olives, cheese, salami, proscuittio,
>celery.

Well, that is close to just grabbing a fork & the jar. :-)

I suppose I could throw some with olives & cheese on a mini boboli &
cook in the toaster oven. Yum.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:08:11 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Chop and mix with well-drained canned tuna and chopped,
>bottled roasted red peppers and a bit of sweet onion.
>Spread on crusty rolls or sliced baguette.
>
>gloria p

This is helpful

This idea spurred something else that I could probably do right now as
I don't have the red-peppers or the crusty bread you mention above.
I would have crusty bread, if it weren't for all the hot weather we
have been having. It went moldy WAY too fast.

I do have...
Egg bread I made last night with my bread maker
Home-made yogurt cheese
Sundried toms in olive oil
Vidalia (sp?) onions

Ohh this is sounding good!

Thanks!

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:22:44 -0700, JimLane >
wrote:

>Omelet with feta cheese.

Don't have feta. :-(

I do have other cheeses though. Thanks for the idea!

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Michael Odom

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:01:05 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

>I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
>love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
>her husband made it).
>
>Now I am eager to try different things
>
>Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
>salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
>(quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
>besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)

I've often used them in midnight snacks, tossing them with leftovers
like thin slices of rare steak and grilled chicken pieces.

modom

"If you have a racist friend,
Now is the time, now is the time
For your friendship to end."
-- The Specials
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
> love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
> her husband made it).
>
> Now I am eager to try different things
>
> Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
> salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
> (quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
> besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

this is similar to one I made 30 years ago.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/saladp...ladpasta2.html
Cold Curried Rice Salad

2 (8 ounce) packages chicken flavored Rice-a-Roni(R)
2 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
2 teaspoons curry powder
Liquid from artichoke hearts
8 scallions, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup toasted almonds, sliced
1/2 cup green olives, sliced
2/3 cup mayonnaise

Cook rice as package indicates, using oil instead of butter. Refrigerate.

Add remaining ingredients. Chill.

Keeps for several days and is delicious with grilled chicken.

Serves 10.

Here, too:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1943,...234206,00.html

ARTICHOKE SALAD
1 pkg. chicken Rice-A-Roni
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/3 c. chopped green pepper
3/4 c. chopped green onions
1 (10 oz.) jar stuffed green olives, sliced
1/3 c. slivered almonds

Prepare Rice-A-Roni as directed but without butter. Drain artichoke
hearts, reserving liquid and chop. Add remaining ingredients, combine
and add to Rice- A-Roni.

DRESSING:
Liquid from artichokes
1/3 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. curry powder

FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop

Denise~*

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:36:59 -0500, Michael Odom >
wrote:

>I've often used them in midnight snacks, tossing them with leftovers
>like thin slices of rare steak and grilled chicken pieces.

Yea, too chubby for midnight snacks. Sounds good though.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:30:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

snip

>ARTICHOKE SALAD

snip

>1 jar marinated artichoke hearts

Hehe, I like how it says 1 jar.
The jar I bought was from Costco. Its HUGE.
I don't think it means a jar that big :-)

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:30:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>

> snip
>
> >ARTICHOKE SALAD

> snip
>
> >1 jar marinated artichoke hearts

> Hehe, I like how it says 1 jar.
> The jar I bought was from Costco. Its HUGE.
> I don't think it means a jar that big :-)
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

Probably not. :-) The other recipe (quite similar) specifies a 6-oz
jar of marinated artichioke hearts. Measure about a cup from your mongo
jar.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 6/19/04.
Only 6 days until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
big." Good gin and cheap chocolate preferred. Or is it cheap
gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. . . .A diamond bracelet
would be nice. . .
Katra

In article >,
Denise~* > wrote:

> I just bought a jar of marinated Artichokes for a salad that I fell in
> love with (A 'Ranee' salad, some of you might remember her, actually
> her husband made it).
>
> Now I am eager to try different things
>
> Anybody have some quick lunch/snack ideas (other than a lettuce based
> salad) that include marinated arties that takes little effort
> (quick-fix), maybe also good for hot weather eating...
>
> besides eating them whole right out of the jar? (grin)
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

Pizza topping with cheese and sausage,
or chopped up to make a dip for celery and other crudites.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Karen O'Mara

Denise~* > wrote in message >. ..
marinated artichoke hearts

> Hehe, I like how it says 1 jar.
> The jar I bought was from Costco. Its HUGE.
> I don't think it means a jar that big :-)

I bought a jar from Costco, too. I've made a couple of things and it's
about half-way down. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what to
do with the leftover marinade? I hate to throw it out. Am thinking it
may be a good marinade to marinate chicken before grilling?...

Karen
Bob

Karen wrote about marinated artichokes:

> I bought a jar from Costco, too. I've made a couple of things and it's
> about half-way down. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what to
> do with the leftover marinade? I hate to throw it out. Am thinking it
> may be a good marinade to marinate chicken before grilling?...

It makes a fairly good salad dressing, all by itself or spruced up a bit
with some herbs or citrus zest. It's also a good dipping oil for artisanal
bread.

Bob

Dan Abel

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Karen wrote about marinated artichokes:
>
> > I bought a jar from Costco, too. I've made a couple of things and it's
> > about half-way down. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas of what to
> > do with the leftover marinade? I hate to throw it out. Am thinking it
> > may be a good marinade to marinate chicken before grilling?...

> It makes a fairly good salad dressing, all by itself or spruced up a bit

Works for me. We had a potluck here at work a few years back. I don't
remember all the ingredients, but one guy brought a salad that he put
together in just a couple of minutes. It included a small jar of
artichoke hearts, and he included some or all of the liquid as the
dressing. It was quite good.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Bob

Dan wrote:

> We had a potluck here at work a few years back. I don't
> remember all the ingredients, but one guy brought a salad that he put
> together in just a couple of minutes. It included a small jar of
> artichoke hearts, and he included some or all of the liquid as the
> dressing. It was quite good.

Digging through my cookbooks, I found this:

Alfalfa Sprout and Artichoke Salad (from _The New West Coast Cuisine_)

1/2 head cauliflower (1/2 pound), broken into flowerets
2 green onions and tops, cut into 1-inch segments
2 cups (4 ounces) alfalfa sprouts
1 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts and juice

Combine all ingredients in salad bowl. Toss to mix. Just pour juice from the
artichoke jar over for dressing.

And reviewing the recipes I've saved from this newsgroup, I found this,
which uses the marinade as part of the dressing:

Mom's Salad

1 can baby corn, drained
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (not drained)
1 large jar pitted black olives, drained
1 large jar green beans (NOT French cut)
1 jar whole baby mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup Italian dressing

Mix together and chill.
[Note: I added some cubed mozzarella. I also thought a "large" jar of olives
was overdoing it.]

Bob

my artichokes Gill Smith General Cooking 25 26-01-2011 05:57 PM
artichokes mom0f4boys General Cooking 48 05-10-2007 11:15 PM
Artichokes in oil CaliforniaLavender Preserving 3 11-07-2005 09:00 AM
Artichokes Debbie General Cooking 13 03-07-2005 05:16 AM
Using Marinated Artichokes (4) Collection lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 08-06-2005 03:44 PM