Recipe for Bird's Custard

Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Stu
Usenet poster

Default Recipe for Bird's Custard

Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

Old 10-10-2005, 10:19 PM
limey
Usenet poster

"Stu" wrote in message

Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

I have my own thoughts, but try posting your question on
uk.food+drink.misc - there will be lots of helpful advice there, I'm sure.

Dora

Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Sarah
Usenet poster

"Stu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

Could be that your not getting the milk hot enough, or it's cooling before
it heats up the powder mixture. Have you tried returning the custard to the
pan and simmering, stiring constantly so that it doesn't stick to the bottom
of the pan, until it thickens?
Hope that helps
Sarah

Old 10-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Mon 10 Oct 2005 02:19:28p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Stu" wrote in message

Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

I have my own thoughts, but try posting your question on
uk.food+drink.misc - there will be lots of helpful advice there, I'm
sure.

Dora

Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the custard
anymore?

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Puester
Usenet poster

Stu wrote:
Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

Most pudding mixes that use cornstarch for thickening warn against using
anything other than whole milk for best texture.

gloria p
Old 10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

Stu wrote:

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

From a web search I'd guess your Bird's Custard is similar to Junket

Rennet custard, which also, due to lack of egg, often turns out
watery... so why pray tell are you using this bird shit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_Custard

Old 11-10-2005, 12:15 AM
limey
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the custard
anymore?

Wayne Boatwright **

What? The end of the British Empire?
Seriously, the link below was interesting to me - I didn't know Premier
Foods had acquired Bird's -- from Kraft!! I didn't even know Kraft had
acquired Bird's. I can only assume the custard powder is still being made,
since it has always been popular and such a timesaver. Don't know, though.

My own thoughts are that the OP is perhaps not cooking it quite long enough,
or using the wrong milk grade. It also thickens as it cools slightly, so
it's hard to tell what he's doing.

Dora

Old 11-10-2005, 12:20 AM
MoM
Usenet poster

"Stu" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

That's because it's supposed to be that way. Bird's custard or most English
style
custard powders instand or cooked are made for pouring over things. They do
NOT set into a pudding type consistency.

MoM

Old 11-10-2005, 12:27 AM
limey
Usenet poster

Oops - forgot to paste the link:

Dora

Old 11-10-2005, 01:26 AM
Arri London
Usenet poster

Stu wrote:

Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
(it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
properly.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Mon 10 Oct 2005 04:15:44p, limey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Dora, did I read somewhere that Bird's was not going to make the
custard anymore?

Wayne Boatwright **

What? The end of the British Empire?
Seriously, the link below was interesting to me - I didn't know Premier
Foods had acquired Bird's -- from Kraft!! I didn't even know Kraft had
acquired Bird's. I can only assume the custard powder is still being
made, since it has always been popular and such a timesaver. Don't
know, though.

There was a thread about this in the UK group some time back. As I recall,
at that point in time nothing had been written about Bird's continuing to
be
produced. I think the acquisition had been announced but not the details.

My own thoughts are that the OP is perhaps not cooking it quite long
enough, or using the wrong milk grade. It also thickens as it cools
slightly, so it's hard to tell what he's doing.

That would be my guess, too. Perhaps both. I remember my mom making a
cooked Jell-o pudding once using skim milk. It was dreadful, and also thin
consistency. If something calls for whole milk, there's usually a reason.
:-)

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright **
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Old 11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Doug Weller
Usenet poster

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:26:06 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Arri London
wrote:

Stu wrote:

Hello,

I have been following the recipe on the back of the Bird's custard
label but i don't know why my custard always comes out runny ( Its
not thick like custard should be. I've been told that Bird's custard is
one of the best so why isn't it working for me?

Can someone write me EXACT steps how to make simple custard using
Bird's custard power (no eggs)? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: i'm using 2% milk...not whole milk. Will this make a difference?

Thanks,
Stu

Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
(it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
properly.

Funny, I hadn't thought of that when I read the first post -- Stu, what
are you expecting? Something to pour over apple pie, or something to put
in a pastry case like an egg custard?

Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com

Old 11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
limey
Usenet poster

"Doug Weller" in message
Arri London wrote:

Bird's custard, made according to package directions, will be fluid
(it's meant for pouring). It won't set solid like a baked custard.
Perhaps you aren't cooking the custard mix long enough to thicken
properly.

Funny, I hadn't thought of that when I read the first post -- Stu, what
are you expecting? Something to pour over apple pie, or something to put
in a pastry case like an egg custard?

Doug

When I was a child, my mother would make a pie that I loved - single-crust
pastry (baked), spread with raspberry jam and sliced bananas and covered
with a layer of extra-thick Bird's custard. The rest of the time, the
custard was poured over cooked fruit, or apple pie, or whatever.

Dora