FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help! Need a substitute (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/71372-help-need-substitute.html)

Teri 04-10-2005 12:36 AM

Help! Need a substitute

for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
thanks!
Teri

itsjoannotjoann 04-10-2005 01:13 AM

Teri wrote:
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

If you don't have 'soft shortening' or bacon grease, I'd go with oil.

aem 04-10-2005 01:15 AM

Teri wrote:
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Whaddayagot? Butter, margarine, lard, Crisco, bacon grease will all
work. If all you have is liquid oil you may have to lessen the
quantity to retain texture. And you wouldn't want to use olive oil,
I'd think, because of the taste.

Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. It was
from Sunset magazine, included yogurt and egg but no shortening, was
baked in a cast iron skillet. Its real claim to fame is that produces
a firm kind of cornbread, not the cake type, so it holds together
nicely rather than crumbling -- perfect for chili. I suspect if you
Google for +cornbread+yogurt you'll find it. --aem

aem 04-10-2005 01:25 AM

aem wrote:

> Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. [snip]

Here, I think this is it:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 large eggs

1=2E In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Add yogurt
and eggs and mix just until blended. [Better: beat eggs separately,
then stir them together with the yogurt well, and then add to the dry
ingredients.] Pour into a buttered 8- to 9-inch square or round pan.
[Absolutely not. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet.]

2=2E Bake in a 400=B0 oven until bread springs back when gently pressed in
center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.
-aem

Teri 04-10-2005 01:30 AM

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
aem wrote:

> Better yet, make the recipe I posted years ago for cornbread. [snip]

Here, I think this is it:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
2 large eggs

1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, soda, and salt. Add yogurt
and eggs and mix just until blended. [Better: beat eggs separately,
then stir them together with the yogurt well, and then add to the dry
ingredients.] Pour into a buttered 8- to 9-inch square or round pan.
[Absolutely not. Pour into a greased cast iron skillet.]

2. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when gently pressed in
center, 20 to 25 minutes. Cut in squares or wedges. Serve warm.
-aem

Thanks I printed this recipe for the future. I ended up using butter - so
we'll see how that turns out :-)
teri

jmcquown 04-10-2005 01:56 AM

Teri wrote:
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
> cornbread. What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil?
> Butter? A combination? thanks!
> Teri

Butter. Absolutely.

Jill

rosie 04-10-2005 02:53 AM

Butter. Absolutely.

Jill
I can't think of much that butter doesn't make better in cooking.
Rosie

OmManiPadmeOmelet 04-10-2005 03:36 AM

In article >,
"Teri" > wrote:

> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Butter.
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 04-10-2005 03:37 AM

In article . com>,
"rosie" > wrote:

> Butter. Absolutely.
>
> Jill
> I can't think of much that butter doesn't make better in cooking.
> Rosie

True dat. ;-d
--
Om.

Peter Aitken 04-10-2005 02:42 PM

"Teri" > wrote in message
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
> cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
> combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Butter or margarine.

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri 04-10-2005 02:50 PM

"Teri" > wrote in message
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Use room temperature butter - Oil will coat the corn meal and make the bread
greasy.

Dimitri

Kathy 04-10-2005 07:23 PM

"Teri" > wrote in message
> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
> cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
> combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

I substitute olive oil for shortening in a lot of my baking, but have
discovered that oil is denser. If you use oil, consider measuring half to
two-thirds the amount of the shortening. Butter can be substituted for
shortening one-for-one.

Kathy

Arri London 04-10-2005 11:45 PM

Teri wrote:

> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for cornbread.
> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A combination?
> thanks!
> Teri

Lard would be the best substitute.

Dee Randall 05-10-2005 01:24 PM

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Teri wrote:
>>
>> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
>> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
>> cornbread.
>> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
>> combination?
>> thanks!
>> Teri

> Lard would be the best substitute.

Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I mean
refrig or pantry.
Dee Dee

Ophelia 05-10-2005 01:34 PM

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
>>

>> Teri wrote:
>>>
>>> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
>>> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
>>> cornbread.
>>> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
>>> combination?
>>> thanks!
>>> Teri

>> Lard would be the best substitute.

> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I mean
> refrig or pantry.

I do but it is rarely used:)

Dee Randall 05-10-2005 01:52 PM

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>>> Lard would be the best substitute.

>> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
>> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I
>> mean refrig or pantry.

> I do but it is rarely used:)

Do you keep it in the freezer, as butter? Do you have any particular
requirements, or do you just pick up a lb. of lard as many would just pick
up a lb. of butter without noticing whether it is salted, organic, origin,
etc.? IOW, are you particular about your lard?
Dee Dee

Ophelia 05-10-2005 02:15 PM

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...

>>> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
>>> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I
>>> mean refrig or pantry.

>> I do but it is rarely used:)

> Do you keep it in the freezer, as butter? Do you have any particular
> requirements, or do you just pick up a lb. of lard as many would just pick
> up a lb. of butter without noticing whether it is salted, organic, origin,
> etc.? IOW, are you particular about your lard?

I keep it in my fridge. It is pure lard so I don't know anything about any
other type. It just keeps fine and I use it as I want. At the moment I
have a 2LB block in there and it must be a couple of months old. I used a
bit the day before yesterday and it was fine

Arri London 05-10-2005 11:11 PM

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Teri wrote:
> >>
> >> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> >> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
> >> cornbread.
> >> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
> >> combination?
> >> thanks!
> >> Teri

> > Lard would be the best substitute.

> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I mean
> refrig or pantry.
> Dee Dee

Ah well. We render our own. Much tastier than the nasty white
supermarket lard.

[email protected] 05-10-2005 11:20 PM

Dee Randall wrote:
> "Arri London" > wrote in message
> >

> > Teri wrote:
> >>
> >> for soft shortening. Recipe for cornbread calls for 1/2 cup of soft
> >> shortening. I have a crockpot full of chili which is begging for
> >> cornbread.
> >> What can I use in place of 'soft shortening'? Oil? Butter? A
> >> combination?
> >> thanks!
> >> Teri

> > Lard would be the best substitute.

> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I mean
> refrig or pantry.
> Dee Dee

Me, Mi!!
Well, I keep in a cupboard but I almost always use lard rather than
shortening. I cannot remember the last time I bought shortening.

John Kane
Kingston ON

Dee Randall 06-10-2005 01:02 AM

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:

>> > Lard would be the best substitute.

>> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
>> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I
>> mean
>> refrig or pantry.
>> Dee Dee

> Me, Mi!!
> Well, I keep in a cupboard but I almost always use lard rather than
> shortening. I cannot remember the last time I bought shortening.
>
> John Kane
> Kingston ON

I've not bought either probably in close to 30 years myself. I think I'd
rather use lard vs. crisco.
So, you don't refrigerate it, I understand.
Dee Dee

Ophelia 06-10-2005 08:35 AM

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Dee Randall wrote:

>>> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
>>> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I
>>> mean
>>> refrig or pantry.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Me, Mi!!
>> Well, I keep in a cupboard but I almost always use lard rather than
>> shortening. I cannot remember the last time I bought shortening.
>>
>> John Kane
>> Kingston ON

> I've not bought either probably in close to 30 years myself. I think I'd
> rather use lard vs. crisco.
> So, you don't refrigerate it, I understand.

I refrigerate my lard. I assume it can go off in the cupboard the same as
butter will

Arri London 06-10-2005 11:36 PM

Dee Randall wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Dee Randall wrote:

> >> Yes, I think lard would be a good substitute, too. But then, again, I
> >> wonder how many people nowadays do keep lard in their larder -- er, I
> >> mean
> >> refrig or pantry.
> >> Dee Dee

> > Me, Mi!!
> > Well, I keep in a cupboard but I almost always use lard rather than
> > shortening. I cannot remember the last time I bought shortening.
> >
> > John Kane
> > Kingston ON

> I've not bought either probably in close to 30 years myself. I think I'd
> rather use lard vs. crisco.
> So, you don't refrigerate it, I understand.
> Dee Dee

The usual commercial supermarket lard doesn't need refrigeration;
usually has some preservative in it. We keep our home-rendered lard in
the fridge.