How long will gumbo keep??

Old 19-09-2005, 01:52 AM
higgins
Usenet poster

Default How long will gumbo keep??

I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

Old 19-09-2005, 02:07 AM
day [email protected]
Usenet poster

On 18 Sep 2005 17:52:52 -0700, "higgins" wrote:

I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

Leftover gumbo???? BLASPHEMER! There is no such animal. If you make it
right, it should outlast the shelf life of a Twinkie. Gumbo is always
fresh made, doesn't matter how long it sits, it's fresh made. A little
more hot sauce and cyan pepper and it's as good as new.

Old 19-09-2005, 02:08 AM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

higgins wrote:
I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

When I make it, it lasts about 3 or 4 days. ;-)

The vegs are fully cooked; I don't know why you'd try to strain them out
and put on new ones. They should freeze just fine.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 19-09-2005, 10:10 AM
marionc
Usenet poster

Hi higgins

I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.

Marion Connor

Old 19-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Melba's Jammin'
Usenet poster

In article .com,
"marionc" wrote:

I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.

Marion Connor

Unfair advantage? How?
Google is your friend, Marion.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...q=gumbo+recipe
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Sam I Am! updated 9-12-05
Old 20-09-2005, 12:59 AM
modom
Usenet poster

On 19 Sep 2005 02:10:26 -0700, "marionc"
wrote:

Hi higgins

I have a bit of an unfair advantage here as I have never even heard of
gumbo, could someone please explain this to me.

Marion Connor

Gumbo is a soup. Like the QEII is a boat.

Gumbo is made from the Cajun holy trinity -- celery, onion, & bell
pepper -- which is diced and sweated in oil till it's transluscent.
Then garlic, salt, pepper, herbs (like bay leaves, for example), and
maybe hot peppers are added. Then comes the stock. Then other good
stuff is added, according to what is available. Good stuff might
include (in no particular order) chicken, shrimp, lump crab meat,
andouille sausage, turkey meat, or what have you. Odoms also add a
dark roux, though others sometimes don't. Gumbo is thickened with
sliced okra or file (powdered, dried sassafras leaves) It is
customarily served in a bowl over a mound of cooked rice.

Odoms eat gumbo on Christmas Eve. They also eat it other times. So
do many others.

modom
Old 20-09-2005, 02:55 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On 18 Sep 2005 17:52:52 -0700, higgins wrote:

I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

What kind of gumbo? I wouldn't plan to keep a seafood gumbo more than
a day.
Old 20-09-2005, 02:56 PM
higgins
Usenet poster

Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
easily hold off on that.

Old 21-09-2005, 02:40 AM
sf
Usenet poster

On 20 Sep 2005 06:56:20 -0700, higgins wrote:

Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
easily hold off on that.

That sounds very interesting! I'd leave out the seafood and add some
andouille.
Old 23-09-2005, 07:52 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

higgins wrote:
I'm planning to make a gumbo and curious about how long the leftovers
will keep??

How is it frozen then thawed?? particularly if I strained the veggies
out and put in some fresh ones upon the revival????

Late to this thread; I was out of town. You shouldn't have to strain the
veggies out unless you just want to. Just make sure the gumbo is cooled
before you freeze it. Leftover gumbo is like most other soup.

Jill

Old 23-09-2005, 07:54 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

sf wrote:
On 20 Sep 2005 06:56:20 -0700, higgins wrote:

Good question. It would be a chicken and duck gumbo. I roast a duck,
use the rendered fat for the roux, later adding chicken stock. Some
shimp might make its way into the gumbo at the very end, but I can
easily hold off on that.

That sounds very interesting! I'd leave out the seafood and add some
andouille.

Yep, I'd go with andouille if I were using chicken or duck. Seafood gumbo
needs to be just that - seafood.

Jill