Mark Thorson

Default Champion Juicer Accessories -- useful or junk?

I recently bought a Champion juicer and I'm very pleased
with it. I've seen meat grinder attachments offered on eBay
a couple times, but other bidders beat me both times.
This is an attachment which is no longer offered by the
manufacturer. Prices for this unit are high -- almost as
high as the whole juicer itself.

I've been wondering why this accessory is no longer offered.
It seems logical to me that lots of people would want one,
and the prices on eBay indicate there is strong demand.
Last night, it occurred to me that this device might not work
very well. The motor base unit runs at a very high RPM,
which makes sense for the juicer attachment, but I imagine
that a meat grinder should run much slower. Can anyone
here who has used that attachment confirm whether my hunch
is right?

Also, I read somewhere that the grain mill accessory (which
is still offered by the manufacturer) does a lousy job making
flour. Can anyone confirm whether that is true? Again, I
think the speed of the motor would be fine for juice but
way too high for grinding grain. Not to mention that no
home device is capable of producing really good flour.
A commercial flour mill is a factory of enormous complexity,
comparable to (and even exceeding) the complexity of a
petroleum refinery. I was amazed to see the flow sheets
for typical plants -- dozens of specialized machines are used
for grinding and separating different particle size and mass
density fractions of the wheat berry. You just wouldn't expect
that the process of grinding wheat into flour would be so
complex, and yet it has to be that way if you want to have
a competitive product in terms of rising qualities, etc.

axlq in California

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:
>I recently bought a Champion juicer and I'm very pleased
>with it. I've seen meat grinder attachments offered on eBay
>a couple times, but other bidders beat me both times.
>This is an attachment which is no longer offered by the
>manufacturer. Prices for this unit are high -- almost as
>high as the whole juicer itself.

This, and other attachments like the grain mill, are nifty features
that you think you will need when you first buy a juicer.

In my experience, they end up sitting in a drawer. The juicer gets
used for juicing. The other stuff you don't really need.

I lived with a Champion juicer for about 20 years before I moved
away from my parents. Great machine, got a lot of use, and my
parents still have it and use it. It'll last forever. I don't recall
ever using any of the accessories except the solid plate to make sorbet
from frozen watermelon.

However, when it came time to buy my own, after much investigation I
bought a Green Life Juicer instead; a bit more expensive, but also
more flexible in that it juices wheat grass and vegetables, and the
juice lasts longer due to being aerated and heated less than the
Champion. The Green Life also has optional accessories like a Mochi
maker and pasta maker, that would never get used in my house.

-A