Keith

Default Not Really Cooking, But Hot Sauces

Hi all

I have seen a local distributor in the UK selling American hot chilli
sauces. Anyone know what they are like?

Some of the favourites seem to be:
Blair's After Death Sauce
Mad Dog Inferno!
Dave's Insanity Sauce
Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!

They even sell Chilli popcorn!

Del Cecchi

Keith wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have seen a local distributor in the UK selling American hot chilli
> sauces. Anyone know what they are like?
>
> Some of the favourites seem to be:
> Blair's After Death Sauce
> Mad Dog Inferno!
> Dave's Insanity Sauce
> Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
> Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!
>
> They even sell Chilli popcorn!

All are extremely hot, way beyond normal hot sauce.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Dean G.

Most of what you listed are "cheater" sauces. They chemically process
the chilis to make oleoresin of capsaicin. These sauces tend to be very
hot, but not so flavorful.

Dean G.

Dave Smith

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> One labelling i make an exception for is a bottle of beer with a picture
> of a Demon on it called "Arrogant ******* Ale". I like it and friends
> tell me its an appropriate thing for me to serve.

Wines are starting to take on some bizarre names. I thought it was bad
enough that they started marketing things like Rotten Grapes and Fat
*******, but then I came across one called Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush.

Joseph Littleshoes

Keith wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have seen a local distributor in the UK selling American hot chilli
> sauces. Anyone know what they are like?
>
> Some of the favourites seem to be:
> Blair's After Death Sauce
> Mad Dog Inferno!
> Dave's Insanity Sauce
> Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
> Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!

I tend to distrust any product that has to hype itself with such terms,
"death sauce" inferno, insanity, rush, mega death etc. I prefer a
Chinese product that is just chopped chilli peppers, garlic and
vinegar. I would give a name but other than "hot garlic chilli sauce"
the packaging is all in Chinese, i recommend trying to find an Oriental
market and experiment. I also like a tomato ketchup like garlic sauce
also Chinese. In fact other than worsteshire (sp?) i get most all my
condiments from a local "China town".

One labelling i make an exception for is a bottle of beer with a picture
of a Demon on it called "Arrogant ******* Ale". I like it and friends
tell me its an appropriate thing for me to serve.
---
JL

> They even sell Chilli popcorn!

Joseph Littleshoes

Dave Smith wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > One labelling i make an exception for is a bottle of beer with a

> picture
> > of a Demon on it called "Arrogant ******* Ale". I like it and

> friends
> > tell me its an appropriate thing for me to serve.

> Wines are starting to take on some bizarre names. I thought it was bad
>
> enough that they started marketing things like Rotten Grapes and Fat
> *******, but then I came across one called Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry
> Bush.

Shortly before Jerry Garcia died "Dead Red" hit the markets. It's a so
- so red wine and seems to be going the way of 'dead heads'.
---
JL

jmcquown

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>
>>> One labelling i make an exception for is a bottle of beer with a
>>> picture of a Demon on it called "Arrogant ******* Ale". I like it
>>> and friends tell me its an appropriate thing for me to serve.

>> Wines are starting to take on some bizarre names. I thought it was
>> bad
>>
>> enough that they started marketing things like Rotten Grapes and Fat
>> *******, but then I came across one called Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry
>> Bush.

> Shortly before Jerry Garcia died "Dead Red" hit the markets. It's a
> so
> - so red wine and seems to be going the way of 'dead heads'.
> ---
> JL

You can still buy Jerry Garcia wines, featuring his artwork on the label. I
tried a bottle of the chardonnay once just for kicks. Very mediocre wine,
way overpriced.

Jill

Bob Myers

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
> > Some of the favourites seem to be:
> > Blair's After Death Sauce
> > Mad Dog Inferno!
> > Dave's Insanity Sauce
> > Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
> > Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!

> All are extremely hot, way beyond normal hot sauce.

Yes - of the ones listed, I think that the "Dave's Insanity" is
possibly the "mildest" - if that word is even applicable here -
but certainly the Blair's products are EXTREMELY hot. I
don't have any personal experience with the "Mad Dog."

You get to a point where these are no longer "sauces" in any
sense of the word - you're not EVER going to be consuming
them straight out of the bottle on chips or whatever. Instead,
they're best viewed as flavorings; something to add to whatever
you're cooking when you want to add a lot of hot without anything
else. Which sometimes IS exactly what you want - just don't
expect "sauces" like this to be bringing anything in the way of
more subtle flavors to the party. They're all about heat, and
really ONLY about heat, with very few exceptions.

Bob M.

Peter Aitken

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
>> > Some of the favourites seem to be:
>> > Blair's After Death Sauce
>> > Mad Dog Inferno!
>> > Dave's Insanity Sauce
>> > Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
>> > Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!

>> All are extremely hot, way beyond normal hot sauce.

> Yes - of the ones listed, I think that the "Dave's Insanity" is
> possibly the "mildest" - if that word is even applicable here -
> but certainly the Blair's products are EXTREMELY hot. I
> don't have any personal experience with the "Mad Dog."
>
> You get to a point where these are no longer "sauces" in any
> sense of the word - you're not EVER going to be consuming
> them straight out of the bottle on chips or whatever. Instead,
> they're best viewed as flavorings; something to add to whatever
> you're cooking when you want to add a lot of hot without anything
> else. Which sometimes IS exactly what you want - just don't
> expect "sauces" like this to be bringing anything in the way of
> more subtle flavors to the party. They're all about heat, and
> really ONLY about heat, with very few exceptions.
>
> Bob M.

I find these superhot sauces to be just plain silly. As you say they provide
nothing but heat and you can get that with cayenne pepper. A good hot sauce
adds heat as well as other flavors, preferably the taste of the peppers
themselves. I have become find of Marie Sharp's sauces. The "mild" habanero
sauce is actually pretty zingy and has a lovely flavor. I can put a teaspoon
or so on an omelet and not scorch my tastebuds!

--
Peter Aitken

Arri London

Keith wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have seen a local distributor in the UK selling American hot chilli
> sauces. Anyone know what they are like?
>
> Some of the favourites seem to be:
> Blair's After Death Sauce
> Mad Dog Inferno!
> Dave's Insanity Sauce
> Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
> Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!
>
> They even sell Chilli popcorn!

Don't bother. Those sauces are only about the heat and nothing about any
flavour. Make your own. There is an abundance of various red or green
(or even yellow) chiles for sale in the UK.

JimLane

Peter Aitken wrote:

>>>All are extremely hot, way beyond normal hot sauce.

>>Yes - of the ones listed, I think that the "Dave's Insanity" is
>>possibly the "mildest" - if that word is even applicable here -
>>but certainly the Blair's products are EXTREMELY hot. I
>>don't have any personal experience with the "Mad Dog."
>>
>>You get to a point where these are no longer "sauces" in any
>>sense of the word - you're not EVER going to be consuming
>>them straight out of the bottle on chips or whatever. Instead,
>>they're best viewed as flavorings; something to add to whatever
>>you're cooking when you want to add a lot of hot without anything
>>else. Which sometimes IS exactly what you want - just don't
>>expect "sauces" like this to be bringing anything in the way of
>>more subtle flavors to the party. They're all about heat, and
>>really ONLY about heat, with very few exceptions.
>>
>>Bob M.
>>

> I find these superhot sauces to be just plain silly. As you say they provide
> nothing but heat and you can get that with cayenne pepper. A good hot sauce
> adds heat as well as other flavors, preferably the taste of the peppers
> themselves. I have become find of Marie Sharp's sauces. The "mild" habanero
> sauce is actually pretty zingy and has a lovely flavor. I can put a teaspoon
> or so on an omelet and not scorch my tastebuds!

They provide an strong endorphin rush which can be similar to being
high. Taste is non-existent. Of course, there are those who don't like
vinegar-based hot sauces and those who don't like one with carrots and
others who don't like sweet in their hot sauces.

jim
Shaun aRe

"Keith" > wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> I have seen a local distributor in the UK selling American hot chilli
> sauces. Anyone know what they are like?
>
> Some of the favourites seem to be:
> Blair's After Death Sauce
> Mad Dog Inferno!
> Dave's Insanity Sauce
> Endorphin Rush! Beyond Hot Sauce
> Blair's Mega Death - Beyond Hottest Sauce!
>
> They even sell Chilli popcorn!

I would recommend you look a little further - Blair's, Dave's for starters I
know to use pure, refined capsaicin in those sauces to get that massive heat
in there, and IMO (and that of many others) it makes it taste like shit, or
rather 'burnt cat hair'. The others too I would believe to use the same. All
the above sauces are 'extreme' ones made for nothing but to be one of the
hottest there is. I love HOT heat but I don't like any of the super hot
stuff those kinds of people do. Want a part bottle of Dave's Insanity or Who
Dares Burns? I don't want 'em! Heheh...

I got some imported sauces given to me, that came via an importer that also
gets the above, but the others were FAR better, much more flavourful and
varied, I just cannot remember the brand! There was a Cajun one, Louisiana,
Garlic - all brown paper labels and in bottles styled after small-ish, like
half or quarter whiskey bottles, all natural ingredients and all damned
delicious! I will try and remember to look at both the maker and importer
names and post them here, but with my memory I cannot promise! may be the
same as the one you mentioned...

Cheers,

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. ..

> >> All are extremely hot, way beyond normal hot sauce.

> > Yes - of the ones listed, I think that the "Dave's Insanity" is
> > possibly the "mildest" - if that word is even applicable here -
> > but certainly the Blair's products are EXTREMELY hot. I
> > don't have any personal experience with the "Mad Dog."
> >
> > You get to a point where these are no longer "sauces" in any
> > sense of the word - you're not EVER going to be consuming
> > them straight out of the bottle on chips or whatever. Instead,
> > they're best viewed as flavorings; something to add to whatever
> > you're cooking when you want to add a lot of hot without anything
> > else. Which sometimes IS exactly what you want - just don't
> > expect "sauces" like this to be bringing anything in the way of
> > more subtle flavors to the party. They're all about heat, and
> > really ONLY about heat, with very few exceptions.
> >
> > Bob M.
> >

> I find these superhot sauces to be just plain silly. As you say they

provide
> nothing but heat and you can get that with cayenne pepper. A good hot

sauce
> adds heat as well as other flavors, preferably the taste of the peppers
> themselves. I have become find of Marie Sharp's sauces. The "mild"

habanero
> sauce is actually pretty zingy and has a lovely flavor. I can put a

teaspoon
> or so on an omelet and not scorch my tastebuds!

I'm a member of the Chile Heads E-list, and even the real heat heads there
don't tend to care for these extract based sauces either, even those that
are the fans of biting chunks of raw Habanero Red Savina®T chiles. The
sauces taste awful for starters...

Shaun aRe

Tom

Hello Shaun. Would be interested if you find out the maker.

"Shaun aRe" > wrote in message
enews.net...

> I would recommend you look a little further - Blair's, Dave's for starters

> know to use pure, refined capsaicin in those sauces to get that massive

heat
> in there, and IMO (and that of many others) it makes it taste like shit,

or
> rather 'burnt cat hair'. The others too I would believe to use the same.

All
> the above sauces are 'extreme' ones made for nothing but to be one of the
> hottest there is. I love HOT heat but I don't like any of the super hot
> stuff those kinds of people do. Want a part bottle of Dave's Insanity or

Who
> Dares Burns? I don't want 'em! Heheh...
>

> I got some imported sauces given to me, that came via an importer that

also
> gets the above, but the others were FAR better, much more flavourful and
> varied, I just cannot remember the brand! There was a Cajun one,

Louisiana,
> Garlic - all brown paper labels and in bottles styled after small-ish,

like
> half or quarter whiskey bottles, all natural ingredients and all damned
> delicious! I will try and remember to look at both the maker and importer
> names and post them here, but with my memory I cannot promise! may be the
> same as the one you mentioned...
>
> Cheers,
>

> Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

Tom - found the importers and maker of the best ones, posted in a new
'PING!' thread. The good stuff is from a co. called 'Pain is Good!' and
imported by Skylark Trading Ltd. London SW5 0JQ - no other contact details
there.

HTH!

Shaun aRe