Kathy

Default Canned foods getting old - Barb?

If high-acid foods are properly canned according to the Ball Book, how long
can they be kept? I just noticed that the spiced peaches are five years old.
(Didn't I just do those? How time flies!) At some point I know the taste is
spoiled, but a taste test will show that. At what age had we better not
taste-test but just throw them out for safety's sake?

Kathy

zxcvbob

Kathy wrote:

> If high-acid foods are properly canned according to the Ball Book, how long
> can they be kept? I just noticed that the spiced peaches are five years old.
> (Didn't I just do those? How time flies!) At some point I know the taste is
> spoiled, but a taste test will show that. At what age had we better not
> taste-test but just throw them out for safety's sake?
>
> Kathy

They are safe until the lid rusts through, or the jar otherwise loses
it's seal. They may not taste very good, or they may be fine, you never
can tell. High-acid canned foods usually don't age as gracefully as
low-acid, but I have some gingered pear butter that DW made before we
moved to Minnesota that is still good and is still pretty and
light-colored. (Don't ask) Most acid foods turn brown with age, but
this stuff didn't -- maybe because of the ginger? Who knows.

Best regards,
Bob
~patches~

Kathy wrote:

> If high-acid foods are properly canned according to the Ball Book, how long
> can they be kept? I just noticed that the spiced peaches are five years old.
> (Didn't I just do those? How time flies!) At some point I know the taste is
> spoiled, but a taste test will show that. At what age had we better not
> taste-test but just throw them out for safety's sake?
>
> Kathy

This is my guideline: I do low & high acid foods; some low acid foods
such as mushrooms, soups, stocks, and beans are canned year round. I
aim to preserve enough to last from one growing season to the next which
means I like to use things up within about a year. However, many
homecanned fruits and veggies are just fine after 2 years. After that,
I feel that the nutritional value has decreased enough not to use them.
OTOH, I've heard of others who have kept and used their canned goodies
well after my 2 year deadline with no ill effects. I just checked the
BBB and they don't give and actual timeline for storage. IMO, under
ideal storage conditions your peaches would be fine upto at least 2
years. Check for any signs of spoilage and if in doubt throw them out.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Kathy"
> wrote:

> If high-acid foods are properly canned according to the Ball Book,
> how long can they be kept? I just noticed that the spiced peaches are
> five years old. (Didn't I just do those? How time flies!) At some
> point I know the taste is spoiled, but a taste test will show that.
> At what age had we better not taste-test but just throw them out for
> safety's sake?

> Kathy

Well, the U of M folks here like us to put up only a year's worth. My
brother cans tomatoes only every two years; i.e., he does two years'
worth at a time. Three years seems to be something I've read somewhere
but I can't cite a source. As long as seals are intact and lids not
rusted icky, you're fine -- appearance may change somewhat but your
peaches should be fine to eat -- quality may also have suffered some,
but you're not likely to kill yourself eating them. Personally (unlike
ONE guy who posts here) I like to have stuff gone at the end of two
years.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added

More Queer Chemical Evidence - Canned Foods Expose Us to MoreEndocrine-Disrupting BPA, Study Says Chem Queers General Cooking 1 02-07-2016 12:25 AM
Canned foods Mike Diabetic 2 02-02-2007 05:33 AM
Canned Apples and Canned Peaches [email protected] General Cooking 0 05-10-2006 11:27 PM
Barb's Brownies failures ain't Barb's fault! Felice Friese General Cooking 5 06-06-2004 07:46 PM
Recanning Canned Foods... TonyP General Cooking 2 19-10-2003 01:29 PM