Olives (Kalamata/Greek): Store in Brine or Olive Oil?

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Gary Grathen
Usenet poster

Default Olives (Kalamata/Greek): Store in Brine or Olive Oil?

How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I searched
brine" or olive oil, although it wasn't clear exactly what "mother brine"
was.

What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
from a deli?

Thanks.
--
Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

Old 07-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Goomba38
Usenet poster

Gary Grathen wrote:

What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
from a deli?

Thanks.

In the container they came in. Nothing mysterious necessary.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Gary Grathen
Usenet poster

The deli puts the olives into a plastic container. I stored them in the
fridge that way once but they seemed to get kind of dry after a while, as
they're not sitting in any sort of brine or oil. Would you recommend just
keeping them sitting in the plastic container or should I add some sort of
liquid to keep them moist and fresh?

Thanks for your advice.

--
Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

Old 08-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Goomba38
Usenet poster

Gary Grathen wrote:

The deli puts the olives into a plastic container. I stored them in the
fridge that way once but they seemed to get kind of dry after a while, as
they're not sitting in any sort of brine or oil. Would you recommend just
keeping them sitting in the plastic container or should I add some sort of
liquid to keep them moist and fresh?

Thanks for your advice.

I've never heard of anyone adding anything to deli prepared/sold olives
when keeping them? Perhaps you should ask for the deli to scoop some of
the brine into the plastic container too when they're scooping the
olives in?
Goomba
Old 08-09-2005, 12:40 AM
Kenneth
Usenet poster

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:10:38 GMT, "Gary Grathen"
wrote:

Would you recommend just
keeping them sitting in the plastic container or should I add some sort of
liquid to keep them moist and fresh?

Howdy,

I would suggest that you buy a smaller quantity. You will
use them before they dry out.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Old 08-09-2005, 02:46 AM
Janet Bostwick
Usenet poster

"Goomba38" wrote in message
Gary Grathen wrote:

The deli puts the olives into a plastic container. I stored them in the
fridge that way once but they seemed to get kind of dry after a while, as
they're not sitting in any sort of brine or oil. Would you recommend
just
keeping them sitting in the plastic container or should I add some sort
of
liquid to keep them moist and fresh?

Thanks for your advice.

I've never heard of anyone adding anything to deli prepared/sold olives
when keeping them? Perhaps you should ask for the deli to scoop some of
the brine into the plastic container too when they're scooping the olives
in?
Goomba

I've seen them pre-packaged in the plastic deli containers at
Albertsons--actually bought a container once and had it go immediately
moldy. No liquid in the box. Never again.
Janet

Old 08-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Shaun aRe
Usenet poster

"Gary Grathen" wrote in message
ink.net...
How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I searched
brine" or olive oil, although it wasn't clear exactly what "mother brine"
was.

What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
from a deli?

Thanks.

Gary - as someone else said, have the deli weigh out your olives, *then* add
some of the liquid they were in before - it only goes to waste at the deli
otherwise.

However, if you already have some and they are dry - put them in a little
oil, if they were in oil at the store, put on some oil, if they were brined,
use brine.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Old 08-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

Shaun aRe wrote:
"Gary Grathen" wrote in message
ink.net...
How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I searched
brine" or olive oil, although it wasn't clear exactly what "mother brine"
was.

What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
from a deli?

Thanks.

Gary - as someone else said, have the deli weigh out your olives, *then* add
some of the liquid they were in before - it only goes to waste at the deli
otherwise.

However, if you already have some and they are dry - put them in a little oil, if they were in oil at the store, put on some oil, if they were brined,
use brine.

Actually those types of olives are quite perishable, the salt cured
olives have been well rinsed prior to being offered for sale (they
actually rehydrate) so they must be refrigerated and have a shelf life
of about 2-3 weeks. Oil cured olives are also perishable... those are
drained then flushed with plain water to remove excess oil, those too
must be refrigerated and have about a 2-3 week shelf life also. Store
in fridge in original container, covered... buy no more than can be
consumed in one week. In most cases all the prep is done at the
distributer prior to being repacked into five gallon plastic pails and
shipping to delis. There are still some olive emporiums where cured
olives are available in the original state as received from the
exporter. I've never seen olives sold in stupidmarkets in their
original preserved state. There are are still NYC appetizing stores
and other ethnic markets where preserved olives are sold directly from
the original wooden barrels.

Sheldon

Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Gary Grathen
Usenet poster

Thanks. Since the deli doesn't seem to keep a lot of brine in their serving
tray, and as olive oil solidifies in the fridge, I think I'll just put the
olives in a glass jar and store them that way. They seem to get a little
dry that way, but that appears to be the best option. I'll just be sure to
eat them within 2-3 weeks of purchase (which should be no problem :-)

--
Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

Shaun aRe wrote:
"Gary Grathen" wrote in message
ink.net...
How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I

searched

"mother