Ausadmin

Default Call For Votes (CFV): aus.food

CALL FOR VOTES
Creation of Unmoderated newsgroup aus.food

This is a formal Call For Votes (CFV) for the creation of a new
Australian unmoderated newsgroup aus.food. Please see below for voting
instructions.

Newsgroups line:
aus.food Australian food: its cooking and consumption!

Votes must be received by Monday September 19 2005 18:59:59 -0500.

For this vote to pass, YES votes must be at least 2/3 of all
valid (YES and NO) votes. There must also be at least 20 more
YES votes than NO votes.

This vote is being conducted by ausadmin. For voting questions contact
. For questions about the proposed group
contact Leanne Bertram >.

RATIONALE:

The creation of a new aus newsgroup called aus.food would be for
the discussion of all things to do with food. Buying, cooking,
storing, and the best bit, eating!

There is currently no aus.* newsgroup that covers these topics.
Other newsgroups that discuss food are completly oriented towards
every other country except Australia.

My opinion is that this group would become very popular, simply
because everyone loves food, whether preparing it, or eating it!
I feel that this group would be excellent for those just starting
out in the kitchen, and feel that the recipes that I have to share,
along with others that I, and others, could learn, would make this
a popular group. Also, the name "aus.food" leaves further room for
expansion, if required, at a later date.

Some advantages of the proposed group would be:

* A place to discuss food and cooking of all varieties in Australia,
ie: bush tucker, BBQs, cuisine, pizza, soup, bakeries, anything to
do with food!

* A place to talk about food/drinking experiences, restaurants,
recipes - anything food-related.

* Not limited to Australians, but it's nice to have a local hangout,
with local recommendations, reviews, tips and ideas.

END RATIONALE.

CHARTER: aus.food

aus.food is for the discussion of food, its preparation, and its
consumption in Australia. Examples of on-topic posts include:

- food recipes
- preparation
- storage
- drinks with meals
- restaurant reports and recommendations (good or bad!)

Off-topic posts, such as the following subjects, are discouraged:

- discussion about television cooking shows (more relevant to aus.tv)
- recipes designed to make people ill!

What is not acceptable:

- HTML posting
- Binaries (post a URL instead)
- Crossposting to more than 3 other newsgroups
- Commercial advertisements, unless prefixed with [COMM]
- For sale advertisements, unless prefixed with [FS]
- Auction advertisements, unless prefixed with [FA]
- Flaming and ad-hominem attacks
- Spam and chain letters

END CHARTER.

PROPOSER: Leanne Bertram >

HOW TO VOTE:

To vote, you must send an email message to:

The subject of your email message is not important.

Your mail message must contain only one of the following statements:
I vote YES on aus.example.name
I vote NO on aus.example.name

You must replace aus.example.name with the name of the newsgroup
that you are voting on.

Anything else may be rejected by the automatic vote counting program.

The ausadmin system will respond to your received message with a
personal acknowledgement by E-mail so you must send from your real
email address, not a spam-block address. If you do not receive an
acknowledgement within 24 hours, try again. It is your responsibility
to make sure your vote is registered correctly.

Only one vote per person, no more than one vote per E-mail address.
Votes from invalid or unreachable email addresses may be rejected.
Multiple voting attempts will be ignored. E-mail addresses of all voters
will be published in munged form in the final voting results list.

Ausadmin will attempt to keep actual voting directions (YES or NO)
confidential, however the vote emails themselves received by ausadmin
will be considered non-confidential and their contents may be published
in full at ausadmin's discretion (e.g. in suspected multi-voting).

[ Check the PGP signature of this post using ausadmin's key online at
http://aus.news-admin.org/ausadmin.asc --nick ]

Victor Sack

Ausadmin > wrote:

[snippage throughout]

I notice that there has been no reaction to my request to provide an
estimate of expected traffic for the proposed newsgroup and the current
traffic on the net related to this topic, i.e. food from an Australian
perspective. This is a standard, even elementary, request and the
reasons for it are well explained in the aus.* FAQ. Yet no estimate has
been forthcoming. Is this no longer of any importance in the aus.*
hierarchy? If so, shouldn't the pertinent parts be deleted from the FAQ
as no longer relevant?

A reminder: Creation of new newsgroups does not happen in a vacuum -
other newsgroups may well be affected, rec.food.cooking in this
particular case. There is little doubt that some valuable traffic may
be potentially diverted from rfc, thus damaging it, if only very
slightly. This, in itself, is a good enough reason to oppose the
creation of any such new newsgroup and the only reason to the contrary
that is still better is statistical evidence of enough interest in
recent years in the proposed topic to sustain the new newsgroup.

Some people may ask why such an evidence is important if there is to be
a vote which will show actual interest in the new group. The answer is
of course that the vote shows only the current interest, a moment's
snapshot, which may be influenced by many irrelevant factors. The
statistical evidence of long-term interest supplements the current one.

Come to think of it, why go through the motions of holding a vote at
all, then? Just create the bloody newsgroup and if people want to use
it, they will. What's the use of the aus.* hierarchy at all? The alt.*
one would be perfectly adequate.

> Other newsgroups that discuss food are completly oriented towards
> every other country except Australia.

This part of the rationale is not just misleading - it is untrue.
rec.food.cooking is a global newsgroup and is oriented towards any
country that happens to be discussed at any one point. This has been
pointed to the proponent early in the course of the RFD discussion.
Nothing happened, of course.

Victor
The Ranger

[aus.net.news removed]
Victor Sack > wrote in message
. ..
[snip]
> I notice that there has been no reaction to my request to
> provide an estimate of expected traffic for the proposed
> newsgroup and the current traffic on the net related to this
> topic,

[snip]

Which is enough reason to vote no for this proposal.

When someone votes no, then the yes votes require an even greater number
of yes votes. This can be very tough on a 'group with a finite
following. If the vote doesn't meet (and I'm blanking on the actual
percentage but it's huge) the hierarchy's requirement, the proposed
'group doesn't get the necessary permissions. But... People have to
vote. (Even abstaining is a strike against the formation of a new
'group.)

The Ranger

snail

[posting from aus.net.news]

Victor Sack > wrote:
> I notice that there has been no reaction to my request to provide an
> estimate of expected traffic for the proposed newsgroup and the current
> traffic on the net related to this topic, i.e. food from an Australian

ISTR some discussion, and stats quotage, a couple of months ago,
probably in the pre-RFD period.

> reasons for it are well explained in the aus.* FAQ. Yet no estimate has
> been forthcoming. Is this no longer of any importance in the aus.*

I don't have time to google at the moment, but some some references
should come up.

> particular case. There is little doubt that some valuable traffic may
> be potentially diverted from rfc, thus damaging it, if only very
> slightly. This, in itself, is a good enough reason to oppose the

If it's "very slightly" then it doesn't sound like that big an issue.
Though that remains a valid point.

> it, they will. What's the use of the aus.* hierarchy at all? The alt.*
> one would be perfectly adequate.

Now that's just insulting. I've been active in both regional
and international newsgroups over the years though little of
either these days. Sometimes both on the same topic, simply
because of the different flavour of a local group vs an
international perspective. I used to hang out in news.groups
several years ago and aus.net.news for many years, and a.n.n
is much, more relaxed than n.g but then the number of posts
is orders of magnitude lower. That doesn't mean newsgroups
in aus.* should be created willy nilly, however there has
been quite a bit of a discussion on this proposal and seems
to have a fair bit of support.
--
snail @ smacktard net http://snail.ws/
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - Frost.
Victor Sack

augie > wrote:

> Do you plan to join in on aus.food, if the proposal is successful?

This is a distinct possibility, if only a very occasional one. Why do
you ask?

> I rarely see you contribute to Australian posters or Australian threads
> in RFC, so cannot fathom what type of negative impact the new group
> would have on you.

Why is it my person that is important here? I care, first and foremost
about the rec.food.cooking as a whole, not necessarily my person. FWIW,
I do respond to Australian posters and threads whenever I see fit... no
difference to any other nationality, including my own.

> As for the impact on RFC, surely only the people who are active on
> Australian threads would notice the difference - and from what I can see
> they are the ones who are positive about it's implementation.

You are very much mistaken here - every difference matters, if only a
bit, and when those differences add up, the whole newsgroup changes
quite considerably.

Victor
Victor Sack

snail > wrote:

> Victor Sack > wrote:
> > I notice that there has been no reaction to my request to provide an
> > estimate of expected traffic for the proposed newsgroup and the current
> > traffic on the net related to this topic, i.e. food from an Australian

> ISTR some discussion, and stats quotage, a couple of months ago,
> probably in the pre-RFD period.

*Please* post the evidence!

> > reasons for it are well explained in the aus.* FAQ. Yet no estimate has
> > been forthcoming. Is this no longer of any importance in the aus.*

> I don't have time to google at the moment, but some some references
> should come up.

*Post* them, please, or ask someone else with more time on his hands.

Really, I would like nothing better than to see some honest statistical
evidence of real interest over the recent years. That would take care
of the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned. It is one thing if there
are, say, at least five posts a day on the relevant topics, and quite
another if there are perhaps only a couple posts per month.

> > it, they will. What's the use of the aus.* hierarchy at all? The alt.*
> > one would be perfectly adequate.

> Now that's just insulting.

Well, it was meant to be more facetious than insulting, but insulting
wouldn't be at all out of place, either. The difference between alt.*
and aus.* (and other ostensibly "serious" hierarchies) is some standards
of new group creation. One of these standards, evidence of the
viability of the new group, is lacking in this case, making the aus.*
effectively equivalent to the alt.*

I would say that anyone with even a bit of respect to the aus.*
hierarchy, or at least to what it is supposed to be, ought to vote NO on
this proposal, if only out of principle. The whole thing is really not
just about this one proposed newsgroup - one has to take a larger view.
Is this all only about the instant-gratification, me-generation people
who demand the new group *now!* because that's what a few of them *want
now!*, or is the whole aus.* thing perhaps worthy of some more concern?
Just asking... in this case *my* concern is mostly rec.food.cooking...

FWIW, another, better, proposal can be made in a few months time, I
imagine, if this one fails for some reason. It is not as though people
are prevented from having what they want for the eternity.

> That doesn't mean newsgroups
> in aus.* should be created willy nilly, however there has
> been quite a bit of a discussion on this proposal and seems
> to have a fair bit of support.

What discussion? Mine was the only criticism at all, as far as I can
see - and it was totally ignored.

Victor
arachne

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> augie > wrote:

..

> You are very much mistaken here - every difference matters, if only a
> bit, and when those differences add up, the whole newsgroup changes
> quite considerably.
>
> Victor

sorry to get all philosophical, but isn't that what life (& newsgroups) is
all about? - change. everything changes. we can't keep things how they are
forever. change happens.

it seems like there is only a small percentage of australian posters on
rec.food.cooking compared to other countries. i know you say that makes a
difference. but what if aus.food was denied and these australian posters
still decided all to unsubscribe or just lurk? the flavour of the newsgroup
would still change. it's just not possible to control other people's
behaviour like that.

i know from my own unrelated newsgroup (aus.family) that many of the posters
that would come to aus.food would be from aus.family. we have been
interested in this for ages & would love a separate newsgroup for talking
about food rather than on aus.family which is technically about parenting.

and this is not the only place that people wanting aus.food come from. there
are many people in australian newsgroups that have never, ever visited
rec.food.cooking which want aus.food. are you suggesting that these people
all have no right to have a newsgroup they want?

i think this extends beyond the boundaries of changing one newsgroup
slightly. it is what a sizeable (to our little country, anyway) number of
people would like to see happen. (i know you keep asking for statistics, but
i have no idea on how to do that! but you could google aus.family to see how
many food related posts there are!)

i hope you still find rec.food.cooking an enjoyable place to go, whether
aus.food happens or not.

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005 (currently: 35 weeks)

"Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't
get you anywhere." -- Anonymous

snail

Victor Sack > wrote:
> snail > wrote:
>> Victor Sack > wrote:
>> > I notice that there has been no reaction to my request to provide an
>> > estimate of expected traffic for the proposed newsgroup and the current
>> > traffic on the net related to this topic, i.e. food from an Australian

>> ISTR some discussion, and stats quotage, a couple of months ago,
>> probably in the pre-RFD period.

> *Please* post the evidence!

How about you google aus.net.news yourself ?

>> > reasons for it are well explained in the aus.* FAQ. Yet no estimate has
>> > been forthcoming. Is this no longer of any importance in the aus.*

>> I don't have time to google at the moment, but some some references
>> should come up.

> *Post* them, please, or ask someone else with more time on his hands.

I just asked you Anyway I just had a brief look through
and found plenty of discussion, checked a few posts at random,
but didn't find stats. Using keywords like postings, statistics,
and a couple of others.

I'm posting here as a denizen of aus.net.news. I'm vaguely interested
in whether this group gets up or not, as previous attempts over the
years have failed. This time round there seems to be a lot more
folk interested; certainly there's been a lot more folk posting this
time round which is at least indicative that the group might be used.

> Really, I would like nothing better than to see some honest statistical
> evidence of real interest over the recent years. That would take care

There were previous attempts to create groups in 2000 and 2001 I think.
Let's see, how about the old CFV results:

http://groups.google.com/group/aus.n...4deab752abe0de

previous dicussion of older RFDs:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=aus.net.news+gourmand

oooh, forgot about my attempt in 2003 which is referred to in
discussion back in May:
http://groups.google.com/group/aus.n...bf0c6d73013ff6

Crikey, I forgot my own proposal, I knew I was having a bad week
but this is silly.

> of the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned. It is one thing if there
> are, say, at least five posts a day on the relevant topics, and quite
> another if there are perhaps only a couple posts per month.

That I agree with you on.

>> > it, they will. What's the use of the aus.* hierarchy at all? The alt.*
>> > one would be perfectly adequate.

>> Now that's just insulting.

> Well, it was meant to be more facetious than insulting, but insulting
> wouldn't be at all out of place, either. The difference between alt.*

*grin* Either way it was a bit of a wank.

> and aus.* (and other ostensibly "serious" hierarchies) is some standards

Well that's one of the differences, another is that alt is a
global hyraky ( ) where as aus.*, uk.* are country based;
or melb.* syd.* which are city based. Another example is film.
There's plenty of good international discussion groups for film
but aus.film is needed simply because of differing release
schedules and a place for locals to hang.

> of new group creation. One of these standards, evidence of the
> viability of the new group, is lacking in this case, making the aus.*
> effectively equivalent to the alt.*

Bullshit. Honest Even if that one standard were lacking, it's
still not even close to reducing aus.* to the standards of alt.*

> I would say that anyone with even a bit of respect to the aus.*
> hierarchy, or at least to what it is supposed to be, ought to vote NO on
> this proposal, if only out of principle. The whole thing is really not
> just about this one proposed newsgroup - one has to take a larger view.

Nope, my main interest these days is in local groups. I choose
not to take a big 8 view. r.f.c seems a big, happy group but
for me the effect on that group seems minor and not especially
relevant. There'll still be some Oz posters there, and there
may well be room for a local group too.

> Is this all only about the instant-gratification, me-generation people
> who demand the new group *now!* because that's what a few of them *want
> now!*, or is the whole aus.* thing perhaps worthy of some more concern?

No now about it, food proposals in aus.* have come up several
times before and failed and may well fail again, or succeed.

> Just asking... in this case *my* concern is mostly rec.food.cooking...

Your concern is fair enough for you; I don't see why "one has to
take a larger view". That's your stance not mine.

> FWIW, another, better, proposal can be made in a few months time, I
> imagine, if this one fails for some reason. It is not as though people
> are prevented from having what they want for the eternity.

Well, it's been about 5 years since it was first proposed and it
still hasn't got up. Maybe folk will have to wait an eternity

>> That doesn't mean newsgroups
>> in aus.* should be created willy nilly, however there has
>> been quite a bit of a discussion on this proposal and seems
>> to have a fair bit of support.

> What discussion? Mine was the only criticism at all, as far as I can
> see - and it was totally ignored.

a bunch of food related postings in a.n.n in that time too.
--
snail @ smacktard net http://snail.ws/
A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - Frost.
Brett Mount

And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Victor Sack with some words for
aus.net.news:

}snail > wrote:

<snip>

}Really, I would like nothing better than to see some honest statistical
}evidence of real interest over the recent years. That would take care
}of the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned. It is one thing if there
}are, say, at least five posts a day on the relevant topics, and quite
}another if there are perhaps only a couple posts per month.

And another thing again if there are a couple of hundred posts per month,
of which only five are ostensibly on topic. Would that be a successful
group, in your opinion? (That's a serious question, by the way- I'm
genuinely interested in your view).

Estimated traffic is important to a proposed group (though perhaps not, to
my mind, as important as the heavily Big 8-influenced FAQ makes it out to
be). However, it's open to aus.admin to accept a RFD without this
information, and to allow it to proceed to a CFV (as has happened)- at
this point, the vote will determine the outcome, and (should it pass)
history will determine the validity. Your argument, whilst relevant and
not answered (to my knowledge, anyway) during the RFD phase, has been
overtaken by events.

}Well, it was meant to be more facetious than insulting, but insulting
}wouldn't be at all out of place, either. The difference between alt.*
}and aus.* (and other ostensibly "serious" hierarchies) is some standards
}of new group creation. One of these standards, evidence of the
}viability of the new group, is lacking in this case, making the aus.*
}effectively equivalent to the alt.*

I freely admit I don't have an analysis here (and any such would have to
wait until the weekend at the earliest), but I *suspect* the aus.*
hierarchy has a respectable percentage of active groups relative to some
of the Big 8- notably rec.* (counting traffic as the sole indication of
activity), even allowing for the shorter period of existence.

That suggests to me that while the creation process may be flawed, it does
produce the result it was designed for.

}I would say that anyone with even a bit of respect to the aus.*
}hierarchy, or at least to what it is supposed to be, ought to vote NO on
}this proposal, if only out of principle. The whole thing is really not
}just about this one proposed newsgroup - one has to take a larger view.
}Is this all only about the instant-gratification, me-generation people
}who demand the new group *now!* because that's what a few of them *want
}now!*, or is the whole aus.* thing perhaps worthy of some more concern?
}Just asking... in this case *my* concern is mostly rec.food.cooking...

Would it damage the aus.* hierarchy more than, say, aus.tv.reality? To
attract a "no" vote from me, I'd have to be satisfied that the answer was
that it would- since the process for creating a group in this hierarchy
has been largely followed, I'm not convinced there's a procedural
justification for a no vote.

}FWIW, another, better, proposal can be made in a few months time, I
}imagine, if this one fails for some reason. It is not as though people
}are prevented from having what they want for the eternity.

You may not be aware that this is the second proposal for aus.food to be
presented. The first was on the order of three years ago, IIRC.

}
}What discussion? Mine was the only criticism at all, as far as I can
}see - and it was totally ignored.

I've also expressed some concerns (largely in aus.net.news), but it's ...
impolite at best to discuss the merits of a proposal during the CFV, so I
leave it to those keen enough to look for them. I fear I've discussed it
too much in this post already.

I don't think I have a dog in this fight, as our American cousins may say,
but I am somewhat curious about the result of the vote.

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Victor Sack

arachne > wrote:

> sorry to get all philosophical, but isn't that what life (& newsgroups) is
> all about? - change. everything changes. we can't keep things how they are
> forever. change happens.

Why get so fatalistic? People are in control of a lot of things that
happen to them and creation - or not - of newsgroups is one of them.

> it seems like there is only a small percentage of australian posters on
> rec.food.cooking compared to other countries. i know you say that makes a
> difference. but what if aus.food was denied and these australian posters
> still decided all to unsubscribe or just lurk? the flavour of the newsgroup
> would still change. it's just not possible to control other people's
> behaviour like that.

It is possible to control one's own behaviour, though. And, why assume
Australian posters are particularly stupid and will cut into their own
flesh just out of spite?

> i know from my own unrelated newsgroup (aus.family) that many of the posters
> that would come to aus.food would be from aus.family. we have been
> interested in this for ages & would love a separate newsgroup for talking
> about food rather than on aus.family which is technically about parenting.

Good, simply great! Who are those posters? How many of them? How many
posting on the matter have appeared over the recent years? They could
be a part of statistics that would show some evidence of enough interest
to sustain the new newsgroup. Otherwise it is just empty talk, I'm
afraid.

> and this is not the only place that people wanting aus.food come from. there
> are many people in australian newsgroups that have never, ever visited
> rec.food.cooking which want aus.food. are you suggesting that these people
> all have no right to have a newsgroup they want?

No one has a right to a newsgroup. What you get to read is ultimately
decided by the newsadmins of ISPs and independent newsservers. Those
newsadmins pay attention to "serious" hierarchies and control messages
coming from approved sources precisely because they assume that new
newsgroups are created in a serious fashion, and are not just based on
hearsay or proclamations of nonexistent rights.

> i think this extends beyond the boundaries of changing one newsgroup
> slightly. it is what a sizeable (to our little country, anyway) number of
> people would like to see happen. (i know you keep asking for statistics, but
> i have no idea on how to do that! but you could google aus.family to see how
> many food related posts there are!)

Well, I answered that question, twice even, I believe. It has always
been the job of the proponents and, if they don't know how, they ought
to find someone who does. I even suggested David Formosa, thinking that
even if he can't help personally, he can possibly point to someone who
can. Has anyone asked him?

> i hope you still find rec.food.cooking an enjoyable place to go, whether
> aus.food happens or not.

I hope so, too. And I also hope that, if aus.food does happen, it will
be an enjoyable place to visit, too. I'm not going to sulk, unlike
those hypothetical Australians of whom you apparently have such a low
opinion. :-)

Victor
Victor Sack

Brett Mount > wrote:

> And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Victor Sack with some words for
> aus.net.news:
>
> }Really, I would like nothing better than to see some honest statistical
> }evidence of real interest over the recent years. That would take care
> }of the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned. It is one thing if there
> }are, say, at least five posts a day on the relevant topics, and quite
> }another if there are perhaps only a couple posts per month.
>
> And another thing again if there are a couple of hundred posts per month,
> of which only five are ostensibly on topic.

This would only be relevant in an already existing newsgroup.

> Would that be a successful
> group, in your opinion? (That's a serious question, by the way- I'm
> genuinely interested in your view).

I don't know if I want to generalise like that. I can, however, point
to the many of the soc.culture.* newsgroups that are exactly like your
description. I would say they are dead, for all practical purposes.

On the other hand, maybe you mean some existing newsgroup where all of
those off-topic posts are on the subject of Australian food. ;-)

> Estimated traffic is important to a proposed group (though perhaps not, to
> my mind, as important as the heavily Big 8-influenced FAQ makes it out to
> be). However, it's open to aus.admin to accept a RFD without this
> information, and to allow it to proceed to a CFV (as has happened)- at
> this point, the vote will determine the outcome, and (should it pass)
> history will determine the validity. Your argument, whilst relevant and
> not answered (to my knowledge, anyway) during the RFD phase, has been
> overtaken by events.

Not at all. The discussion goes on and can change people opinions and
votes. For example, I have not voted yet and, if some honest stats that
show the groups viability are posted, I shall abstain or vote YES. It
is not as though these stats must be included in the charter or even the
rationale. They may just be a part of the dicussion.

BTW, something that Nick once posted about multiple voting attempts made
me think that only the first vote is counted and the others ignored. If
this is indeed so, it is rather unfortunate. In my opinion, only the
last vote should be counted in such a case, not the first one. This is
how it is done in the Big-8 hierarchies, FWIW. People do sometimes
change their opinion in the course of a discussion.

> I freely admit I don't have an analysis here (and any such would have to
> wait until the weekend at the earliest), but I *suspect* the aus.*
> hierarchy has a respectable percentage of active groups relative to some
> of the Big 8- notably rec.* (counting traffic as the sole indication of
> activity), even allowing for the shorter period of existence.
>
> That suggests to me that while the creation process may be flawed, it does
> produce the result it was designed for.

Has the process always been flawed, as you put it, at least as far as
not presenting an estimate of future traffic on the newsgroup is
concerned? Or is this a recent development?

> Would it damage the aus.* hierarchy more than, say, aus.tv.reality? To
> attract a "no" vote from me, I'd have to be satisfied that the answer was
> that it would- since the process for creating a group in this hierarchy
> has been largely followed, I'm not convinced there's a procedural
> justification for a no vote.

The form has been followed, for nowhere there is a requirement to
present any statistical evidence. The spirit was ignored, though, for
the form without substance is, of course, empty and pointless. The
damage will be done if future proposals are treated this way also. It
is, in my opinion, a seriously flawed proposal - gimme a better one,
NOW! :-) I think aus.* deserves better.

I therefore reluctantly call upon those who are still reading this
thread and agree with my reasoning to vote NO and hope for a better
proposal a few months from now. Please look up the CFV at
<http://groups.google.com/group/aus.net.news/msg/cec6752ce58417b6> and
follow the instructions. Make sure your address is unmunged.

(I don't think my call will make any difference at all - people are just
not really interested in the subject, at least on rec.food.cooking, and
I'm not about to start campaigning. So, it is just a matter of
principle...)

> I've also expressed some concerns (largely in aus.net.news), but it's ...
> impolite at best to discuss the merits of a proposal during the CFV,

Why, pray tell? I'm truly puzzled. As long as there is an opportunity
to vote, discussion should be allowed to go on. Or is this a peculiar
aus.* custom?

Victor

Victor Sack

Brett Mount > wrote:

> And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Victor Sack with some words for
> aus.net.news:
> }
> }I don't know if I want to generalise like that. I can, however, point
> }to the many of the soc.culture.* newsgroups that are exactly like your
> }description. I would say they are dead, for all practical purposes.
>
> And the alt.* heirachy is notorious for them. A few years ago, I'd have
> agreed with your assessment.

You wouldn't agree now?

> I believe the proponent has suggested there will be a reasonable overlap
> of posters with aus.family, which seems to tend in that direction from a
> quick glance at it. I don't think it's a stretch to indicate that
> aus.food won't be as focussed as, say, sci.math.num-analysis.

Ah, it would still be quite a bit different from those soc.culture
newsgroups, I imagine, for many, if not all, of the off-topic postings
would be presumably coming from people also posting on topic in the
newsgroup. In soc.culture ones it is mostly crossposted trolling and
flame-wars that have nothing at all to do with most of the affected
newsgroups and with people posting there on topic.

> }Not at all. The discussion goes on and can change people opinions and
> }votes. For example, I have not voted yet and, if some honest stats that
> }show the groups viability are posted, I shall abstain or vote YES. It
> }is not as though these stats must be included in the charter or even the
> }rationale. They may just be a part of the dicussion.
>
> Well, I'm not sure I agree. During the RFD phase several calls were
> certainly made for a justification for aus.food, and were largely
> unanswered. Prospective voters will no doubt have noted that omission, be
> it deliberate or accidental, and will vote accordingly. The proponents
> have had and lost the chance to address your concerns, and must now face
> the consequences.

As far as I'm concerend, they can address my concerns any time, right
now, for example. I don't think they lost any chances until the voting
is over. At least this ought to be so, logically.

> Counting the first vote may simplify the logistics, I guess- I agree that
> the last vote would seem to reflect the most recent (and most
> considered?) opinion held by the voter, but in the absence of discussion
> on the group's merits I wouldn't expect there to be all that many changes.
> I believe the Big 8 rule is more about dissuading multiple votes than
> determining a voter's true intent.

I don't know what the original intent was, but at least for the past
decade it has been both, in practice. A lot of people over the years
have been pointing out that the vote may be changed by voting again. I
think it would be a good idea to adopt the same practice in aus.*

> The aus.* heirachy isn't really all that busy in terms of new groups
> getting created all the time.

It is no different in the Big-8 now, either. I think no more than about
a dozen new groups are created each year now, just a fraction of the
multitude created in '96 or '97, for example.

> It's in Point 5 of the aus.admin FAQ at
> <http://aus.news-admin.org/Faq/aus_faq>
>
> "It's requested that people refrain from discussing the newsgroup after
> the CFV has been posted. The newsgroup should have been discussed in
> the RFD period. You should also not promote your proposal during the
> voting period, nor advise people only how to vote "YES"."

Ah, I confess that I overlooked this point.

> I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it- that may be a question better
> directed to Mr Andrews.

I hope he will answer. Only the last phrase, perhaps with the addition
of a similar one about not advising people only how to vote "NO", makes
sense to me.

Victor
Brett Mount

}Brett Mount > wrote:
}
}> And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Victor Sack with some words for
}> aus.net.news:
}>
}> }Really, I would like nothing better than to see some honest statistical
}> }evidence of real interest over the recent years. That would take care
}> }of the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned. It is one thing if there
}> }are, say, at least five posts a day on the relevant topics, and quite
}> }another if there are perhaps only a couple posts per month.
}>
}> And another thing again if there are a couple of hundred posts per month,
}> of which only five are ostensibly on topic.
}
}This would only be relevant in an already existing newsgroup.

I'd suggest that it may be relevant if that's how the proposed group is
likely to end up.

}> Would that be a successful
}> group, in your opinion? (That's a serious question, by the way- I'm
}> genuinely interested in your view).
}
}I don't know if I want to generalise like that. I can, however, point
}to the many of the soc.culture.* newsgroups that are exactly like your
}description. I would say they are dead, for all practical purposes.

And the alt.* heirachy is notorious for them. A few years ago, I'd have
agreed with your assessment.

}On the other hand, maybe you mean some existing newsgroup where all of
}those off-topic posts are on the subject of Australian food. ;-)

Possibly- I tend not to frequent groups at the chattier end of the
spectrum (I think I have still have Trillian installed somewhere if I want
that).

[...]

I don't believe aus.family or aus.arts.anime were so
supported, to mention the last couple of groups I recall off the
top of my head. Aus.tv.reality, a few years ago, was (though not in a
particularly formal way, to my mind).

The aus.* heirachy isn't really all that busy in terms of new groups
getting created all the time.

}> Would it damage the aus.* hierarchy more than, say, aus.tv.reality? To
}> attract a "no" vote from me, I'd have to be satisfied that the answer was
}> that it would- since the process for creating a group in this hierarchy
}> has been largely followed, I'm not convinced there's a procedural
}> justification for a no vote.
}
}The form has been followed, for nowhere there is a requirement to
}present any statistical evidence. The spirit was ignored, though, for
}the form without substance is, of course, empty and pointless. The
}damage will be done if future proposals are treated this way also. It
}is, in my opinion, a seriously flawed proposal - gimme a better one,
}NOW! :-) I think aus.* deserves better.

It's certainly a supportable argument- as I mentioned in an earlier post,
I'm curious to know how many others share your views to the extent of
voting.

}I therefore reluctantly call upon those who are still reading this
}thread and agree with my reasoning to vote NO and hope for a better
}proposal a few months from now. Please look up the CFV at
}<http://groups.google.com/group/aus.net.news/msg/cec6752ce58417b6> and
}follow the instructions. Make sure your address is unmunged.
}
}(I don't think my call will make any difference at all - people are just
}not really interested in the subject, at least on rec.food.cooking, and
}I'm not about to start campaigning. So, it is just a matter of
}principle...)

Everything on Usenet is a matter of principle. <G>

[...]

Leanne

> As far as I'm concerend, they can address my concerns any time, right
> now, for example. I don't think they lost any chances until the voting
> is over. At least this ought to be so, logically.

you've already made your mind up. Why should we try to change someone who is
not willing to listen.

Brett Mount

And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Leanne with some words for
aus.net.news:

}
}> As far as I'm concerend, they can address my concerns any time, right
}> now, for example. I don't think they lost any chances until the voting
}> is over. At least this ought to be so, logically.
}
}you've already made your mind up. Why should we try to change someone who is
}not willing to listen.

To convert an almost certain "No" vote into an abstain or possibly even a
"Yes", I would've thought.

Presuming you're in support of the group, you still have the 2/3 Yes and
Yes= No+20 rules to consider- each No vote you can avoid is one (or
possibly two) fewer supporters that you need.

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Leanne

> To convert an almost certain "No" vote into an abstain or possibly even a
> "Yes", I would've thought.
>
> Presuming you're in support of the group, you still have the 2/3 Yes and
> Yes= No+20 rules to consider- each No vote you can avoid is one (or
> possibly two) fewer supporters that you need.

he has been given some really good answers to his questions already, there
isn't much more you can do for someone who has made up his mind.

Brett Mount

And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Leanne with some words for
aus.net.news:

}
}> To convert an almost certain "No" vote into an abstain or possibly even a
}> "Yes", I would've thought.
}>
}> Presuming you're in support of the group, you still have the 2/3 Yes and
}> Yes= No+20 rules to consider- each No vote you can avoid is one (or
}> possibly two) fewer supporters that you need.
}
}he has been given some really good answers to his questions already, there
}isn't much more you can do for someone who has made up his mind.

I must confess that the estimates of traffic Mr Sack has been calling for
did not reach the NIN server (or, if they did, they escaped my attention).

However, you must remember that usenet is not a one to one system- while
there may be reason to write Mr Sack's vote off, there are perhaps other
potential voters reading who may be influenced by how he is answered now.

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.net.news on Thu, 15 Sep 2005 20:45:22 +1000
Brett Mount > wrote:

> However, you must remember that usenet is not a one to one system- while
> there may be reason to write Mr Sack's vote off, there are perhaps other
> potential voters reading who may be influenced by how he is answered now.

I'm one... in that I knew it was on, didn't worry much, but have been
reminded how rec.food.cooking isn't any use to me and how I'd like an Oz
group.

Either there's enough traffic to somehow make that group less or there
isn't. If there isn't then I have contributed to it not being there
If there is, then there's enough to have an aus group.

Zebee

--
Zebee Johnstone ), proud holder of
aus.motorcycles Poser Permit #1.
Brett Mount

}Brett Mount > wrote:
}
}> And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Victor Sack with some words for
}> aus.net.news:
}> }
}> }I don't know if I want to generalise like that. I can, however, point
}> }to the many of the soc.culture.* newsgroups that are exactly like your
}> }description. I would say they are dead, for all practical purposes.
}>
}> And the alt.* heirachy is notorious for them. A few years ago, I'd have
}> agreed with your assessment.
}
}You wouldn't agree now?

On balance, no, though I think there's a distinction to be drawn below.

}> I believe the proponent has suggested there will be a reasonable overlap
}> of posters with aus.family, which seems to tend in that direction from a
}> quick glance at it. I don't think it's a stretch to indicate that
}> aus.food won't be as focussed as, say, sci.math.num-analysis.
}
}Ah, it would still be quite a bit different from those soc.culture
}newsgroups, I imagine, for many, if not all, of the off-topic postings
}would be presumably coming from people also posting on topic in the
}newsgroup. In soc.culture ones it is mostly crossposted trolling and
}flame-wars that have nothing at all to do with most of the affected
}newsgroups and with people posting there on topic.

The ones I was thinking about are indeed more filled with cliquey
behaviour by the regulars, which may occasionally even overlap the nominal
topic of the group. After some deliberation, I've come to the conclusion
that this may not always be a Bad Thing.

Usenet vandalism such as you describe is a horse of a different colour.

}> Well, I'm not sure I agree. During the RFD phase several calls were
}> certainly made for a justification for aus.food, and were largely
}> unanswered. Prospective voters will no doubt have noted that omission, be
}> it deliberate or accidental, and will vote accordingly. The proponents
}> have had and lost the chance to address your concerns, and must now face
}> the consequences.
}
}As far as I'm concerend, they can address my concerns any time, right
}now, for example. I don't think they lost any chances until the voting
}is over. At least this ought to be so, logically.

Logically, yes, but to do so would technically violate the procedures for
group creation- I don't know, of course, to what extent the proponent
feels bound by this.

}> Counting the first vote may simplify the logistics, I guess- I agree that
}> the last vote would seem to reflect the most recent (and most
}> considered?) opinion held by the voter, but in the absence of discussion
}> on the group's merits I wouldn't expect there to be all that many changes.
}> I believe the Big 8 rule is more about dissuading multiple votes than
}> determining a voter's true intent.
}
}I don't know what the original intent was, but at least for the past
}decade it has been both, in practice. A lot of people over the years
}have been pointing out that the vote may be changed by voting again. I
}think it would be a good idea to adopt the same practice in aus.*

Certainly, I can think of no reason why it is the way it is beyond
administrative convenience. Given the (now slightly) lower thresholds for
success in aus.* compared to the Big 8, I wonder if there's enough votes
to make it worth the bother?

}> The aus.* heirachy isn't really all that busy in terms of new groups
}> getting created all the time.
}
}It is no different in the Big-8 now, either. I think no more than about
}a dozen new groups are created each year now, just a fraction of the
}multitude created in '96 or '97, for example.

Well, there's not so much stuff to discuss these days, I guess. <G>

Aus.* probably tends to something like one group per quarter, where
news.groups probably sees that couple of weeks (it has been quieter
recently, of course, save for discussions of voting procedure). It's the
difference between a regional hierarchy and a global one.

Usenet as a whole is probably losing ground in terms of popularity to web
boards and blogs, though the extent to which that's happening; whether
it's a Good Thing, and What Should Be Done About It all seem to be open
questions at the moment.

<snip: now re the reasons for not campaigning during a CFV>

}> I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it- that may be a question better
}> directed to Mr Andrews.
}
}I hope he will answer. Only the last phrase, perhaps with the addition
}of a similar one about not advising people only how to vote "NO", makes
}sense to me.

I suspect organised Vote No campaigns were viewed as being a lesser risk,
though the history of some of the more political groups in aus.* may make
that assumption seem odd.

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Nick Andrew

(Victor Sack) writes:

>Brett Mount > wrote:

>I don't know what the original intent was, but at least for the past
>decade it has been both, in practice. A lot of people over the years
>have been pointing out that the vote may be changed by voting again. I
>think it would be a good idea to adopt the same practice in aus.*

At this point it's mostly a software issue. The voting instructions
are simply appended to a text file as they are received; to allow later
votes to override an earlier vote would require rewriting the file
to delete the older vote and then append the newer vote. As it is,
when a vote comes in, if there's already a vote there for that email
address then the code just throws the new vote away and sends an error
to the email address.

If the voter wants to change their vote they can send me an email.

>> "It's requested that people refrain from discussing the newsgroup after
>> the CFV has been posted. The newsgroup should have been discussed in
>> the RFD period. You should also not promote your proposal during the
>> voting period, nor advise people only how to vote "YES"."

>Ah, I confess that I overlooked this point.

>> I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it- that may be a question better
>> directed to Mr Andrews.

Andrew, not Andrews.

>I hope he will answer. Only the last phrase, perhaps with the addition
>of a similar one about not advising people only how to vote "NO", makes
>sense to me.

Usually the proposer of a vote is interested in getting the vote passed.
These are the people most likely to "advertise" a way to vote YES only.
We haven't had any situation yet where somebody who is not the proponent
takes it upon themselves to promote failing a group vote.

I want to move the voting system to the website as soon as I can get the
code written; there will be one button for YES and one button for NO,
so I expect the issue will disappear.

Nick.
--
http://www.nick-andrew.net/ http://aus.news-admin.org/
I prefer USENET replies. Don't send email copies. Drop the spamtrap to reply.
Nick Andrew

Brett Mount > writes:

>I suspect organised Vote No campaigns were viewed as being a lesser risk,
>though the history of some of the more political groups in aus.* may make
>that assumption seem odd.

Any proposal contentious enough to cause an organised "Vote No"
campaign deserves to fail. There's clearly something wrong with
the proposal, and a group won't go through until that problem is
recognised and addressed. So I don't see it as a risk.

There could still be otherwise-good proposals failed by a no-voting
bloc if the group topic was particularly contentious. For example I
would expect a group aus.abortion.centres would fail a vote because
right-to-lifers would object to the possibility of pro-abortionists
discussing (rating, etc) abortion centres. But if the group were
to pass, then it would be a big flame fest anyway, so failing it
is no loss.

Nick.
--
http://www.nick-andrew.net/ http://aus.news-admin.org/
I prefer USENET replies. Don't send email copies. Drop the spamtrap to reply.

Carmen

Why bother, there are more important things in this world that need to
be heard and I might add HELPED !!!

Carmen

You're taking a lot of air time talking about NOTHING ! Who gives a
darn.. IF you d'ont like it here go home !

Just Me ....

The Ranger

Nick Andrew > wrote in message
[snip]
> there will be one button for YES and one button for NO,

Why not include an "ABSTAIN" button also for those readers that are
ambivalent towards the formation of a proposed 'group?

The Ranger

The Ranger

Carmen > wrote in message
> Why bother

Then cast a simple "No" vote and your wish will be granted.

The Ranger

Dan Goodman

Carmen wrote:

> Why bother, there are more important things in this world that need to
> be heard and I might add HELPED !!!

They're also more important than whether you get anything to eat this
week. Are you going to stop eating?

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
cathyxyz

The Ranger wrote:
> Carmen > wrote in message
>
>>Why bother

> Then cast a simple "No" vote and your wish will be granted.
>
> The Ranger

Amen!

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Brett Mount

And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Nick Andrew with some words for
aus.net.news:

(Victor Sack) writes:
}
}>Brett Mount > wrote:

<snip>

}>> I'm unsure of the reasoning behind it- that may be a question better
}>> directed to Mr Andrews.
}
}Andrew, not Andrews.

You have my apologies- that's what comes of not reading carefully enough!

<snip>

}Usually the proposer of a vote is interested in getting the vote passed.
}These are the people most likely to "advertise" a way to vote YES only.
}We haven't had any situation yet where somebody who is not the proponent
}takes it upon themselves to promote failing a group vote.
}
}I want to move the voting system to the website as soon as I can get the
}code written; there will be one button for YES and one button for NO,
}so I expect the issue will disappear.

Being the reactionary that I am, I wonder about people who have usenet but
not Web access, but then I suspect the figures for them are probably in
single digits worldwide (the last example I know of became web enabled a
few weeks ago).

I've no doubt you've already considered issues of voter verification, and
the wisdom of web based structures for usenet- there's been a few
interesting arguments there. The different promoting rules in aus.* should
make the latter less of an issue anyway.

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Brett Mount

And now, in high fidelity ASCII, it's Nick Andrew with some words for
aus.net.news:

}Any proposal contentious enough to cause an organised "Vote No"
}campaign deserves to fail. There's clearly something wrong with
}the proposal, and a group won't go through until that problem is
}recognised and addressed. So I don't see it as a risk.
}
}There could still be otherwise-good proposals failed by a no-voting
}bloc if the group topic was particularly contentious. For example I
}would expect a group aus.abortion.centres would fail a vote because
}right-to-lifers would object to the possibility of pro-abortionists
}discussing (rating, etc) abortion centres. But if the group were
}to pass, then it would be a big flame fest anyway, so failing it
}is no loss.

How about aus.abortion.centres.moderated, though?

I could see that being sufficiently contentious to attract an organised No
vote without endangering the content of the group if it should pass.

Then again, I deal with hypotheticals a lot. <G>

--
Brett

"I'm a Greek God, you're Nick Giannopolous
I'm Julio Iglasias, you're Tommy Raudonikis"
Victor Sack

Leanne > wrote:

> > As far as I'm concerend, they can address my concerns any time, right
> > now, for example. I don't think they lost any chances until the voting
> > is over. At least this ought to be so, logically.

> you've already made your mind up.

What a presumptuous assumption! You have said virtually the same thing
and that was my second posting on the subject (the first was about
rec.food.cooking being a global newsgroup).

All to avoid doing your job as a proponent. You have clearly
demonstrated that you haven't even read the aus.* FAQ and that you have
no idea of what rec.food.cooking actually represents. Yet, you took
offence at once and are still sulking.

> Why should we try to change someone who is
> not willing to listen.

Have you even read any of my posts? As I told you before, you are
already up to your neck in it and it is time to stop digging. You are
the worst enemy of your own proposal. Apparently, you think that
aus.food is your inalienable right, that anyone making an argument, no
matter which, against it is unreasonable or evil and is your personal
enemy. Some presumptuous assumptions of my own, if you will...

BTW, it is a very bad form for a proponent to change his/her monicker
until the whole process is over. They may know all your personas on
aus.net.news; I imagine that very few people on rfc, to which you are
crossposting, have any idea that "Leanne" is the same person as "Ms
Leebee".

Victor

Victor Sack

Nick Andrew > wrote:

> If the voter wants to change their vote they can send me an email.

Ah, that is good to know. For the future, perhaps it would be a good
idea to include this information in the voting instructions?

> I want to move the voting system to the website as soon as I can get the
> code written;

Only a few years ago, I would have called that a bad idea, as there were
still some people with UUCP feeds and no Web access. Now this probably
is no longer a problem.

> there will be one button for YES and one button for NO,
> so I expect the issue will disappear.

Sounds good. I just hope that, if needed, server-side scripting will be
used - and no JavaScript.

Victor
Victor Sack

> My god man get a LIFE. Wah Wah nothing happened. It's a simple call for
> votes for a new aus newsgroup. You don't like it? reply no! Simple
> really. I think you've made your points many, many times.

My, such an original post (especially the "LIFE" part, complete with
capitalising)! You ought to acquire a WebTV... it'll suit you
perfectly. In case you missed it - and of course you did - I was asking
whether the aus.* FAQ is still relevant or should be pulled as no longer
needed. Has a lot to do with all the future aus.* proposals. Flew
right over your head, obviously.

>I couldn't
> have cared less personally speaking, but seeing your attitude I think I
> will vote. Yes for me!

It is unethical to vote "YES" for a group one couldn't care less about.
What an unprincipled decision!

Victor
Leanne

> What a presumptuous assumption!

says you, you dont even know who you are talking to.

Kelly

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
. ..

> BTW, it is a very bad form for a proponent to change his/her monicker
> until the whole process is over. They may know all your personas on
> aus.net.news; I imagine that very few people on rfc, to which you are
> crossposting, have any idea that "Leanne" is the same person as "Ms
> Leebee".

Possibly as you proport, you should have analysed the information before
making such a "presumptious assumption".. Hopefully, the fine people on rfc
would not have made the same "presumptious assumption".

Victor Sack

Ms Leebee > wrote:

> Leanne wrote:
> >> What a presumptuous assumption!

> > says you, you dont even know who you are talking to.

> I think there's only room in our little country for only one "Leanne" at a
> time .... i'm sorry, but you'll have to leave

BIG OOPS! I'm most sorry and offer an apology to both Leannes! :-((

Sheepishly,

Victor
(And still, the similarity, not just in name but in style, was nothing
if not striking... the rest of my post still stands... They both have my
sympathy.)