Hope

Default question about coriander and cardamom in a "rub"

hi,
I hope someone can answer my latest silly question. I'm making a
"rub" for a leg of lamb that calls for 'coriander seeds, cracked' and
"cardamom' (doesn't say pods but that's what I have on hand. I started
banging on coriander seeds and cardamom pods in my mortar and pestle,
and it smells good but it's full of chaff from the seed pods. Do I
filter it thru a sieve or something, or leave the chaff in? TIA,

Hope
D.A.Martinich

Don't grind the cardamom pods but try to crack them open. They contain
small black seeds which can be then gound in a mortar.

D.M.

Hope

On 1 Sep 2005 18:36:41 -0700, "D.A.Martinich" > wrote:

>Don't grind the cardamom pods but try to crack them open. They contain
>small black seeds which can be then gound in a mortar.
>
>D.M.

yeah, I ended up picking out the cardamom-chaff because I could. WHat
about the coriander tho? Those pods seem to grind right up?

Hope

David Hare-Scott

"Hope" > wrote in message
> hi,
> I hope someone can answer my latest silly question. I'm making a
> "rub" for a leg of lamb that calls for 'coriander seeds, cracked' and
> "cardamom' (doesn't say pods but that's what I have on hand. I started
> banging on coriander seeds and cardamom pods in my mortar and pestle,
> and it smells good but it's full of chaff from the seed pods. Do I
> filter it thru a sieve or something, or leave the chaff in? TIA,
>
> Hope

Coriander seed is very tough to grind up, it will take ages in a M & P even
if you have mastered the technique, I use a small elcetric coffee grinder.
If it is not fully ground the bits are quite gritty in the mouth and do not
soften much in cooking, not really suitable for the "cracked" treatment IMO.

As others have said it's the seeds inside the pod of the cardamon that have
the flavour and aroma, so discard the husks before you start. It's tedious
spliting them with a knife and separating the seeds and husks but worth the
effort. You can bet those pre-ground cardamon powders include the husks, all
the more reason to grind your own.

David

Hope

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:12:29 GMT, "David Hare-Scott"
> wrote:

>"Hope" > wrote in message
.. .
>> hi,
>> I hope someone can answer my latest silly question. I'm making a
>> "rub" for a leg of lamb that calls for 'coriander seeds, cracked' and
>> "cardamom' (doesn't say pods but that's what I have on hand. I started
>> banging on coriander seeds and cardamom pods in my mortar and pestle,
>> and it smells good but it's full of chaff from the seed pods. Do I
>> filter it thru a sieve or something, or leave the chaff in? TIA,
>>
>> Hope

>Coriander seed is very tough to grind up, it will take ages in a M & P even
>if you have mastered the technique, I use a small elcetric coffee grinder.
>If it is not fully ground the bits are quite gritty in the mouth and do not
>soften much in cooking, not really suitable for the "cracked" treatment IMO.
>
>As others have said it's the seeds inside the pod of the cardamon that have
>the flavour and aroma, so discard the husks before you start. It's tedious
>spliting them with a knife and separating the seeds and husks but worth the
>effort. You can bet those pre-ground cardamon powders include the husks, all
>the more reason to grind your own.
>
>David

thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Hope