Jarkat2002

Default Frozen Chicken ??

I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to defrost.
I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to quickly
defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is horrible at
defrosting)
Thank you,
~Kat

"The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."
PENMART01

>I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to
defrost.
>I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to quickly
>defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is horrible
>at defrosting)

I wouldn't use any microwave for fully defrosting whole poultry, I sometimes
use the defrost cycle for a few minutes to give it a start and then finish
defrosting in the fridge.

Try this:
Fill your sink with *cold* tap water and submerge the chicken in its plastic
bag *intact* (do not open bag). Change water about every 40 minutes. If it's
still morning where you are the chicken should be defrosted in time to cook for
dinner (doesn't matter is there's still a bit of ice in the cavity, just be
sure to remove the giblets and wash well under cold running water).

Here...
http://www.perdue.com/athome/product.../preparing.asp

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Dimitri

"Jarkat2002" > wrote in message
> I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to

defrost.
> I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to

quickly
> defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is

horrible at
> defrosting)
> Thank you,
> ~Kat
>

> "The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."

Like Sheldon said - defrost in a sink of water.

Dimitri

paul cooke

Jarkat2002 wrote:

> I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to
> defrost. I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can
> go to quickly
> defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is
> horrible at defrosting)
> Thank you,
> ~Kat

without putting it in the microwave, no... abandon the chicken for
tonight... do something else instead and have that chicken tomorrow.

--
Use Linux - Computer power for the people: Down with cybercrud...
DJS0302

>I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to
>defrost.
>I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to
>quickly
>defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is horrible
>at
>defrosting)
>Thank you,
>~Kat

Put it in a pan of cold water and either change the water every 15 minutes to a
half hour or put the chicken on a rack in the kitchen sink and let a continuous
stream of water run over the chicken until it's thawed.

DJS0302

>Put it in a pan of cold water and either change the water every 15 minutes to
>half hour or put the chicken on a rack in the kitchen sink and let a
>continuous
>stream of water run over the chicken until it's thawed.

That should be a continuous stream of COLD water.
zxcvbob

Jarkat2002 wrote:
> I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to defrost.
> I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to quickly
> defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My microwave is horrible at
> defrosting)
> Thank you,
> ~Kat
>

> "The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese."

I've cooked several frozen turkeys in an electric roaster without
thawing them first. Just rinse them enough first to thaw the skin a
little. It actually works pretty well. You have to check on them every
hour or so with a meat thermometer.

So if you were planning on roasting the chicken (how else would you cook
a chicken that big?), just unwrap it, rinse it, and stick it in a
roasting pan in the oven. Cover loosely with foil for the first 2 hours
and let it thaw as it cooks. When you take the foil off, you can
extract the neck and the "goodie bag"

Bob
Bob (this one)

Dog3 wrote:

> (PENMART01) got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

>>>I have a 6 pound frozen chicken that I forgot to take out yesterday to

>>defrost.
>>
>>>I wanted to make it for dinner tonight, is there any thing I can go to
>>>quickly defrost it short of putting it in the microwave. (My
>>>microwave is horrible at defrosting)

>>I wouldn't use any microwave for fully defrosting whole poultry, I
>>sometimes use the defrost cycle for a few minutes to give it a start
>>and then finish defrosting in the fridge.
>>
>>Try this:
>>Fill your sink with *cold* tap water and submerge the chicken in its
>>plastic bag *intact* (do not open bag). Change water about every 40
>>minutes. If it's still morning where you are the chicken should be
>>defrosted in time to cook for dinner (doesn't matter is there's still
>>a bit of ice in the cavity, just be sure to remove the giblets and
>>wash well under cold running water).
>>
>>Here...

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product.../preparing.asp

> Yep. Try the cold water method. I'd never thaw it in the microwave. If
> it is not thawed by dinner time, throw it back in the fridge and have it
> the next day. A bird that big usually takes at least 2 days to thaw in my
> refrigerator. If I want it for Sunday, I begin thawing in the fridge on
> Thursday. If it's still a bit frozen, I'll use the cold water method to
> thaw it the rest of the way.

Or check out a little Ph.D food science and do it on the counter.
Seriously.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html

There are things I don't fully agree with in this paper, but it
explains a lot about what happens and some alternatives.

Pastorio

Wendy Udelhoven

I am glad this subject came up. I saw the posts using cold water to
thaw chicken, could someone please explain why cold water needs to be
used vs. hot or warm water.

I know of a couple of people who insist on using hot or warm water to
thaw chicken.

Thanks

Margaret Suran

Dog3 wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > got ****ed off and typed
> :
>

>>Or check out a little Ph.D food science and do it on the counter.
>>Seriously.
>>
>>http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html
>>
>>There are things I don't fully agree with in this paper, but it
>>explains a lot about what happens and some alternatives.
>>
>>Pastorio
>>

> Interesting. Especially the part about not washing the chicken or turkey
> before popping it into the oven.
>
> Michael

Why not buy a fresh (not frozen) turkey? That's the only kind I buy.

PENMART01

>Dog3 writes:
>
>"Bob (this one)" > got ****ed off and typed
:

>> Dog3 wrote:
>>
>>> (PENMART01) got ****ed off and typed

http://www.perdue.com/athome/product.../preparing.asp

>>> Yep. Try the cold water method. I'd never thaw it in the microwave.
>>> If it is not thawed by dinner time, throw it back in the fridge and
>>> have it the next day. A bird that big usually takes at least 2 days
>>> to thaw in my refrigerator. If I want it for Sunday, I begin thawing
>>> in the fridge on Thursday. If it's still a bit frozen, I'll use the
>>> cold water method to thaw it the rest of the way.

>> Or check out a little Ph.D food science and do it on the counter.
>> Seriously.
>>
>> http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html
>>
>> There are things I don't fully agree with in this paper, but it
>> explains a lot about what happens and some alternatives.
>>
>> Pastorio
>>

>Interesting. Especially the part about not washing the chicken or turkey
>before popping it into the oven.
>
>Michael

Typical WOP style.

Ahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
paul cooke

Wendy Udelhoven wrote:

> I am glad this subject came up. I saw the posts using cold water to
> thaw chicken, could someone please explain why cold water needs to be
> used vs. hot or warm water.
>
> I know of a couple of people who insist on using hot or warm water to
> thaw chicken.

hot water would encourage any salmonella bacteria present to multiply and
the carcass would become loaded with it before you start cooking.

cold water is just as effective at thawing as hot water provided you keep
the cold water flowing around the meat to replace that water that's become
chilled as it melts the ice.

--
Use Linux - Computer power for the people: Down with cybercrud...
zxcvbob

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Dog3 wrote:
>
>> "Bob (this one)" > got ****ed off and typed
>> :

>>> Or check out a little Ph.D food science and do it on the counter.
>>> Seriously.
>>>
>>> http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Turkey-Thanks.html
>>>
>>> There are things I don't fully agree with in this paper, but it
>>> explains a lot about what happens and some alternatives.
>>>
>>> Pastorio
>>>

>> Interesting. Especially the part about not washing the chicken or
>> turkey before popping it into the oven.
>> Michael

> Why not buy a fresh (not frozen) turkey? That's the only kind I buy.

Because frozen are 58 cents per pound.

-bob
hahabogus

Margaret Suran > wrote in
:

> Why not buy a fresh (not frozen) turkey? That's the only kind I buy.

I buy frozen chickens and turkeys because I like to get my meat shopping
for the week done in one swoop. And it makes it easier than hunting for
fresh birds in various supermarkets. Also it isn't every week I'll cook a
whole bird or that they'll be on sale.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.