The Last Danish Pastry

Default Making my own Ritz Crackers

Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
Ritz Crackers?

--
Clive Tooth
http://www.clivetooth.dk

Rick

In article >, The Last Danish Pastry
> wrote:

> Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
> Ritz Crackers?

Why don't you just buy a box of the damned things? They're ****ing
cheap enough. Is your life that empty?

--
Rick
Vox Humana

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)
>
> 1 1/2 cups flour
> 1 tsp. salt
> 1/8 tsp paprika
> 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
> 1/2 cup chilled margarine (no substitute)
> 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
> 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

Looks good, but Ritz crackers aren't cheese crackers. I think they are
loaded with artificial butter flavoring.

Dolkian

Also if you make them you can leave out the trans fats. They are
easy to make and taste far better than the boughten kind.

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:08:49 GMT, Rick > wrote:
>

>>In article >, The Last Danish Pastry
> wrote:
>>

>>>Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
>>>Ritz Crackers?

>>Why don't you just buy a box of the damned things? They're ****ing
>>cheap enough. Is your life that empty?

> Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
> Denmark?
>
> -sw

PENMART01

>"MisNomer" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)
>>
>> 1 1/2 cups flour
>> 1 tsp. salt
>> 1/8 tsp paprika
>> 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
>> 1/2 cup chilled margarine (no substitute)
>> 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
>> 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
>>

>Looks good, but Ritz crackers aren't cheese crackers. I think they are
>loaded with artificial butter flavoring.

Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even if you
could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not to
mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most healthful
food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too expensive to
simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
quantity, only a moron...

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>MisNomer >
>wrote:
>
>>Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)

>Sounds like Cheez-It's, not Ritz.
>
>To the OP, Ritz, Like Cheez-It's have the dough folded several
>times over, similar to making puff pastry. That's what gives them
>their flaky texture.
>
>I saw it mentioned on FoodTV.
>
>-sw

FoodTV is wrong and you're an imbecile... Cheese-its and Ritz are made from a
batter... they're essentially deep fried and baked.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
A.C.

"Steve Wertz" > wrote:
> Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
> Denmark?
>
> -sw

uhh *.de is germany

PENMART01

>"A.C." writes:
>
>>swertz@clueless wrote:
>> Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
>> Denmark?
>>
>> -sw

>uhh *.de is germany

Everyone already knows sqwertz is a NEWBIE who knows as much about computers as
Grandma Moses.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
jacqui{JB}

[posted and emailed]

"The Last Danish Pastry" > wrote in
message ...

> Does anybody have a recipe that I can use
> to make [some approximation to] Ritz Crackers?

After much rummaging about through my cookbooks (and I have [way too]
many), I can safely say that I don't think I have cracker recipe which
approximates Ritz. You can, however, go to your local Netto or
Brugsen, or whatever's closest to you, and pick up a package of Tuc
crackers -- the light golden, oblong ones that come in a yellow
package. Tuc is relatively close to Ritz; you might want to brush a
bit of the salt off the tops, if you're using them in a recipe.

-j

MOM PEAGRAM

Yes there are cheese ritz crackers.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "MisNomer" > wrote in message
> > Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)
> >
> > 1 1/2 cups flour
> > 1 tsp. salt
> > 1/8 tsp paprika
> > 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
> > 1/2 cup chilled margarine (no substitute)
> > 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
> > 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
> >

> Looks good, but Ritz crackers aren't cheese crackers. I think they are
> loaded with artificial butter flavoring.

Michael Rolfe

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even

if you
> could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not

> mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most

healthful
> food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too

expensive to
> simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
> commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
> quantity, only a moron...

I have a very simple soda cracker recipe which simply says, "Roll very
thin, cut into squares, prick with fork, and bake". I like using it because
you can keep the dough in the fridge and create oven-fresh crackers at 20
mins. notice.

Vox Humana

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote in message
> Yes there are cheese ritz crackers.

The OP didn't request a recipe for cheese Ritz crackers.

Vox Humana

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> lol... so.... ?

It makes sense if you follow the thread.

nancree

"Michael Rolfe" > wrote in message >...
> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>

> > Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even

> if you
> > could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not

> > mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most

> healthful
> > food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too

> expensive to
> > simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
> > commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
> > quantity, only a moron...

> I have a very simple soda cracker recipe which simply says, "Roll very
> thin, cut into squares, prick with fork, and bake". I like using it because
> you can keep the dough in the fridge and create oven-fresh crackers at 20
> mins. notice.

Could you please post your "very simple soda cracker recipe"? I've
nevwer tried that.
Thanks.
Nancree
Vox Humana

"MisNomer" > wrote in message
> To me ritz crackers are the cheez ritz...

Were you the OP?

Michael Rolfe

"nancree" > wrote in message
om...

> Could you please post your "very simple soda cracker recipe"? I've
> nevwer tried that.

4 c flour
1/2 t bicarbonate of soda
1 t salt
3/4 c sour milk
1 c butter

- Sift together, and mix well, the flour, the bicarbonate of soda, and the
salt.

- Cut in the milk and the butter. Mix well to form a stiff dough.

- Roll and turn over repeatedly until the dough is very stiff.

- Roll very thin, cut into squares, prick with fork, and bake at 200 C
(400 F) until the edges are lightly browned.

Makes 50--60 crackers. Can be kept refrigerated for several weeks, or
frozen.

I tend to quarter it, and keep the quarters in bags in the fridge until
needed.

Cheese-Filled Ritz Bits Crackers MummyChunk Baking 1 27-05-2014 08:41 AM
Ritz crackers cory! General Cooking 91 18-03-2010 06:32 AM
Alt. Ritz crackers Silvar Beitel General Cooking 0 01-03-2010 11:23 PM
What's on your Ritz? Andy General Cooking 64 14-08-2005 07:30 AM