Making my own Ritz Crackers

Old 03-06-2004, 08:57 PM
The Last Danish Pastry
Usenet poster

Default Making my own Ritz Crackers

Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
Ritz Crackers?

--
Clive Tooth
http://www.clivetooth.dk

Old 03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Rick
Usenet poster

In article , The Last Danish Pastry
wrote:

Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
Ritz Crackers?

Why don't you just buy a box of the damned things? They're ****ing
cheap enough. Is your life that empty?

--
Rick
Old 04-06-2004, 12:17 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chilled margarine (no substitute)
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

Looks good, but Ritz crackers aren't cheese crackers. I think they are
loaded with artificial butter flavoring.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:50 AM
Dolkian
Usenet poster

Also if you make them you can leave out the trans fats. They are
easy to make and taste far better than the boughten kind.

wrote:

Does anybody have a recipe that I can use to make [some approximation to]
Ritz Crackers?

Why don't you just buy a box of the damned things? They're ****ing
cheap enough. Is your life that empty?

Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
Denmark?

-sw

Old 04-06-2004, 12:50 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"MisNomer" wrote in message
.. .
Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chilled margarine (no substitute)
1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese coarsely grated
2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

Looks good, but Ritz crackers aren't cheese crackers. I think they are
loaded with artificial butter flavoring.

Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even if you
could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not to
mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most healthful
food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too expensive to
simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
quantity, only a moron...

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

MisNomer
wrote:

Cheese crackers (about 6 dozen)

Sounds like Cheez-It's, not Ritz.

To the OP, Ritz, Like Cheez-It's have the dough folded several
times over, similar to making puff pastry. That's what gives them
their flaky texture.

I saw it mentioned on FoodTV.

-sw

FoodTV is wrong and you're an imbecile... Cheese-its and Ritz are made from a
batter... they're essentially deep fried and baked.

Old 04-06-2004, 01:38 AM
A.C.
Usenet poster

"Steve Wertz" wrote:
Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
Denmark?

-sw

uhh *.de is germany

Old 04-06-2004, 02:55 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"A.C." writes:

swertz@clueless wrote:
Uhh, did you ever stop to think maybe they're not available in
Denmark?

-sw

uhh *.de is germany

Everyone already knows sqwertz is a NEWBIE who knows as much about computers as
Grandma Moses.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:10 AM
jacqui{JB}
Usenet poster

[posted and emailed]

"The Last Danish Pastry" wrote in
message ...

Does anybody have a recipe that I can use
to make [some approximation to] Ritz Crackers?

After much rummaging about through my cookbooks (and I have [way too]
many), I can safely say that I don't think I have cracker recipe which
approximates Ritz. You can, however, go to your local Netto or
Brugsen, or whatever's closest to you, and pick up a package of Tuc
crackers -- the light golden, oblong ones that come in a yellow
package. Tuc is relatively close to Ritz; you might want to brush a
bit of the salt off the tops, if you're using them in a recipe.

-j

Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
MOM PEAGRAM
Usenet poster

Yes there are cheese ritz crackers.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Michael Rolfe
Usenet poster

"PENMART01" wrote in message

Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even

if you
could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not

mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most

healthful
food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too

expensive to
simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
quantity, only a moron...

I have a very simple soda cracker recipe which simply says, "Roll very
thin, cut into squares, prick with fork, and bake". I like using it because
you can keep the dough in the fridge and create oven-fresh crackers at 20
mins. notice.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"MOM PEAGRAM" wrote in message
Yes there are cheese ritz crackers.

The OP didn't request a recipe for cheese Ritz crackers.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:07 AM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"MisNomer" wrote in message
lol... so.... ?

It makes sense if you follow the thread.

Old 05-06-2004, 12:15 PM
nancree
Usenet poster

"Michael Rolfe" wrote in message ...
"PENMART01" wrote in message

Typical snack crackers are not something one can produce at home, even

if you
could figure out the recipe they require very costly conveyer ovens, not

mention proprietary tooling, etc. Snack crackers are not the most

healthful
food anyway, so for the amounts generally consumed it's not too

expensive to
simply buy a box now and again... and it would be illegal to sell them
commercially so why bother trying to figure out how to produce them in
quantity, only a moron...

I have a very simple soda cracker recipe which simply says, "Roll very
thin, cut into squares, prick with fork, and bake". I like using it because
you can keep the dough in the fridge and create oven-fresh crackers at 20
mins. notice.

Could you please post your "very simple soda cracker recipe"? I've
nevwer tried that.
Thanks.
Nancree
Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Vox Humana
Usenet poster

"MisNomer" wrote in message
To me ritz crackers are the cheez ritz...

Were you the OP?