Taylor pork roll recipes?

Old 03-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Default Taylor pork roll recipes?

Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday), what the heck do you do with the damn
things? I've only had it in a sandwich at a diner in
Reading a couple of years ago. People were saying that
they are often eaten at breakfast and lunch so I need to
know how they are prepared. Sliced and fried instead of
bacon? Please post recipes and tips.
Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
If I were as old as I feel, Id be dead already.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Jason Tinling
Usenet poster

Kate Connally wrote in :

Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday), what the heck do you do with the damn
things? I've only had it in a sandwich at a diner in
Reading a couple of years ago. People were saying that
they are often eaten at breakfast and lunch so I need to
know how they are prepared. Sliced and fried instead of
bacon? Please post recipes and tips.
Thanks,
Kate

Kate,

I've had TPR once, so no guarantees of authenticity here.

TPR was sliced 1/8" or less thick, fried. Put on a roll with a fried egg,
american cheese and (for Stan) ketchup. I was told that this was a "Jersey
stlye" breakfast sandwich.

Jason
Old 03-06-2004, 09:03 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Kate Connally wrote:
Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday), what the heck do you do with the damn
things? I've only had it in a sandwich at a diner in
Reading a couple of years ago. People were saying that
they are often eaten at breakfast and lunch so I need to
know how they are prepared. Sliced and fried instead of
bacon? Please post recipes and tips.

Simple. Cut a slit or two in each slice so they do not
curl up when you cook them, then drop slices of the TPR
on a hot frying pan and fry them over medium heat for a
two minutes or so per side, just like you would do with
a slice of ham, and than serve with eggs, pancakes, or
waffles.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:04 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Jason Tinling wrote:

I've had TPR once, so no guarantees of authenticity here.

TPR was sliced 1/8" or less thick, fried. Put on a roll with a fried egg,
american cheese and (for Stan) ketchup. I was told that this was a "Jersey
stlye" breakfast sandwich.

Yup, very similar to a McDonalds' egg mcmuffin.

Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"Kate Connally" wrote in message
Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday), what the heck do you do with the damn
things? I've only had it in a sandwich at a diner in
Reading a couple of years ago. People were saying that
they are often eaten at breakfast and lunch so I need to
know how they are prepared. Sliced and fried instead of
bacon? Please post recipes and tips.
Thanks,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
"If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off."

http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newsto...TOKEN=50331577

Dimitri

Old 03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Petey the Wonder Dog
Usenet poster

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
Simple. Cut a slit or two in each slice so they do not
curl up when you cook them, then drop slices of the TPR
on a hot frying pan and fry them over medium heat for a
two minutes or so per side, just like you would do with
a slice of ham, and than serve with eggs, pancakes, or
waffles.

Absolutely right.

Any shop that sells Boar's Head can get it for you by the... whatever
you call it. It comes wrapped very tightly in canvas/burlap.

I've eaten it all my life (it's made in Trenton, world reknowned for
it's epicurian delights) and it tastes best if ever-so-slightly scorched
in the frying pan.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Meadowlands NJ
Usenet poster

Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday), what the heck do you do with the damn
things?

Where I used to work we made dozens of the Taylor ham, egg and cheese
sandwiches every morning........they were really popular. People liked it
cooked different ways also. One man used to come in and tell me to cook it
until it was hard and crispy, one man used to come in and tell me to warm it
up. And we had thos woman who came in and ordered it uncooked on a roll with
ketchup and american cheese. We cooked it in the microwave. If I eat it now
which is maybe every 2-3 months (I don't eat it that often) I cook it in a pan
until it's well done and put it with a touch of mayo or mustard, lettuce and
tomato on wheat bread. If you can get really good Jersey beefsteak tomatoes in
the summer it's even better. It's like a BLT without the bacon.

Donna T

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental
ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our
troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should
test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of
power. -- P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Louis Cohen
Usenet poster

I've never heard of these - it sounds like some kind of sausage, and I'm
sure it's good.

If you like pieces of roast pork to put on a sandwich, or in an omelets, try
this:

- Buy a pork butt/shoulder/picnic, preferable bone-in; this can often be
found for a buck per pound. more or less
- slather the outside with cheap yellow mustard, and season liberally with
your favorite rub (or salt + pepper + garlic)
- roast in the oven fat side up or preferably BBQ at 220-250 until it
reaches an internal temp of 195; plan on 1.5 hrs/lb, more or less
- remove from heat, let rest for 30 minutes
- the meat should pull right off the bone
- sauce if you like

The little shreds of pork are just great in sandwiches, on/with eggs, on a
tortilla, or just as a snack. It freezers very well, especially in a vacuum
sealer.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37 43' 7.9" W122 8' 42.8"

Old 04-06-2004, 03:07 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

I'm much more into Lebanon Bologna (the non-sweet kind) - 10x as good as any
Taylor pork roll.

-sqwertz

Well sure, lookit you, already yer all bent over grabing yer ankles.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 04-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Blair P. Houghton
Usenet poster

Add one Taylor Pork Roll to one lift-top garbage pail.

--Blair
"Let simmer forever."
Old 04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
stark
Usenet poster

In article , Steve Wertz
wrote:

It's slightly sour pork bologna; packaged to look like an elephant
pinched it out of his anus.

Nothing fantastic but it has it's following. I'm much more into
Lebanon Bologna (the non-sweet kind) - 10x as good as any Taylor
pork roll.

-sw

I'll second, and third and fourth Lebanon Bologna! I've seen Taylor
Pork Rolls in the Boar's Head section but they're over $9 bucks a tube.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:57 PM
Kate Connally
Usenet poster

Steve Wertz wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:22:50 -0400, Kate Connally
wrote:

Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday)

The Giant Eagle on McKnight between McIntyre and Peebles carried
Taylor Pork Roll last Thanksgiving at least. Probably more of the
'upscale' Eagles do too.

-sw

I checked with the one in Monroeville and they
didn't have it.

Kate

Old 05-06-2004, 04:32 AM
alzelt
Usenet poster

wrote:

Okay, now that I can get a Taylor pork roll here in
Pgh. (I have one on order and will be able to pick it
up on Friday)

The Giant Eagle on McKnight between McIntyre and Peebles carried
Taylor Pork Roll last Thanksgiving at least. Probably more of the
'upscale' Eagles do too.

-sw

Here are two serving ideas. One, is to slice about 1/3" and grill on the
outdoor grill as a burger. Serve on hamburger bun with relish and
guldens mustard.

A breakfast idea is to slice very thin and lightly grill in non-stick
pan. When about cooked through, add two beaten eggs and cook until done.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Old 05-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Curly Sue
Usenet poster

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:04:09 -0700, "Louis Cohen"
wrote:

I've never heard of these - it sounds like some kind of sausage, and I'm
sure it's good.

Just so you know you're not missing anything, it's not. Spam, at
least, has flavor (although one that's best forgotten).

But like Krispy Kreme donuts, TPR has a devoted following that is
beyond comprehension to the rest of us ;

Sue(tm)
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Yeff
Usenet poster

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 13:56:46 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:

Spam, at least, has flavor (although one that's best forgotten).

Hush your mouth, I just burned[1] me up some Spam sandwiches this morning!

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com

[1] the burning part is important...