Bob

Default what's the easiest way to remove meat from a coconut shell?

The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.

I'm actually not interested in the meat for eating, I just want to
remove the meat from the shell so I can use the shell for art purposes
without it going rancid.

So methods that ruin the meat are perfectly acceptable for my purposes
here.

I'd juts rather not plug away with a knife... I tried that for about 5
minutes and came to the conclusion that it would take a real long
time.

Thanks!
Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
om...
> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.
>
> I'm actually not interested in the meat for eating, I just want to
> remove the meat from the shell so I can use the shell for art purposes
> without it going rancid.
>
> So methods that ruin the meat are perfectly acceptable for my purposes
> here.
>
> I'd juts rather not plug away with a knife... I tried that for about 5
> minutes and came to the conclusion that it would take a real long
> time.
>

> Thanks!

I seem to recall that if you bake the thing for a while then crack it open
the meat is easier to get out. Don;t ask me the details tho!

--
Peter Aitken

Julia Altshuler

Interesting question. At first I was going to offer my slam it on the
sidewalk method, but you don't want the easiest way to remove the meat;
you want the best way to keep the shell intact. I'm native to Miami and
always remember cheap tourist souvenirs of painted coconuts. The shells
weren't broken, and they didn't seem to go bad. Hmm. How did they do
that? Maybe holes were drilled and the insides coated with some sort of
shellac? Even if you heated the whole thing so the meat drew away from
the shell, you'd still need a pretty big hole in order to get an
instrument in there that would get the meat out.

--Lia

Bob wrote:
> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.
>
> I'm actually not interested in the meat for eating, I just want to
> remove the meat from the shell so I can use the shell for art purposes
> without it going rancid.
>
> So methods that ruin the meat are perfectly acceptable for my purposes
> here.
>
> I'd just rather not plug away with a knife. I tried that for about 5
> minutes and came to the conclusion that it would take a real long
> time.

Vox Humana

"Bob" > wrote in message
om...
> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.
>
> I'm actually not interested in the meat for eating, I just want to
> remove the meat from the shell so I can use the shell for art purposes
> without it going rancid.
>
> So methods that ruin the meat are perfectly acceptable for my purposes
> here.
>
> I'd juts rather not plug away with a knife... I tried that for about 5
> minutes and came to the conclusion that it would take a real long
> time.

Try a coconut scraper:
http://www.kashmirspices.com/Coconut.htm

http://www.indiaplaza.com/catalog/ca...bcat=houseware

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/coconutgraters.htm

kalanamak

Bob wrote:

> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.
>
> I'm actually not interested in the meat for eating, I just want to
> remove the meat from the shell so I can use the shell for art purposes
> without it going rancid.

Put the shells in a 350 oven until the meat just starts to get warmed.
It will "shrink" a little and pull away from the shell. You can then
shred it, and save it in packets in the freezer, pulling out one at a
time to make milk in the food processor, or to make curries with.
HTH
blacksalt
Frogleg

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:02:47 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>"Bob" > wrote in message
. com...
>> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
>> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
>> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.

>Try a coconut scraper:
>http://www.kashmirspices.com/Coconut.htm
>
>http://www.indiaplaza.com/catalog/ca...bcat=houseware
>
>http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/coconutgraters.htm

Interesting links. I've seen the first type, but the Gourmet Sleuth
page was enlightening. I'd like to try a couple of those for
extracting the 'meat'. I love cocount chips, but it's very laborious
to peel chunks of coconut and then shave off chips.
Frogleg

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:55:26 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>>
>> The subject says it all; what's the best way to remove the meat from a
>> coconut shell? I already figured out how to crack it open, but
>> removing the meat from the shell has proven to be difficult.

>Put the shells in a 350 oven until the meat just starts to get warmed.
>It will "shrink" a little and pull away from the shell.

Approx time?