Lawrence Gilburtson

Default Question on sauces.

Can anyone tell me what exactly a finishing sauce is? I have seen them sold
on various goumet sites and although they sound delicious, and i certainly
would like them regardless, I have not heard of a sauce being referred to
this way. Any help would be appreciated....thanks'LG

Peter Aitken

"Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what exactly a finishing sauce is? I have seen them

sold
> on various goumet sites and although they sound delicious, and i certainly
> would like them regardless, I have not heard of a sauce being referred to
> this way. Any help would be appreciated....thanks'LG

I take it to mean sauce that is put on food at the end of cooking - for
example, brush on ribs for the last few miutes.

--
Peter Aitken

Kswck

"Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me what exactly a finishing sauce is? I have seen them

sold
> on various goumet sites and although they sound delicious, and i certainly
> would like them regardless, I have not heard of a sauce being referred to
> this way. Any help would be appreciated....thanks'LG

A finishing sauce is just that-something to put on a dish when it is
finished, just before serving. I use a lemon-garlic finishing sauce on pork
chops. It is from a 'gourmet' store. It just tastes good to me-gives the
chops a bit of zip.

You need to buy a few of them and try them out. They are not for everybody.
There are those that will claim that they mask the taste of the meat you are
preparing.

Lawrence Gilburtson

thanks guys for the info...yeppers, planning on trying them,.........
LG

Dimitri

"Kswck" > wrote in message
et...

> "Lawrence Gilburtson" > wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me what exactly a finishing sauce is? I have seen them

> sold
> > on various goumet sites and although they sound delicious, and i

certainly
> > would like them regardless, I have not heard of a sauce being referred

> > this way. Any help would be appreciated....thanks'LG

From the BBQ FAQ:
[When do I apply the barbecue sauce?]

Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be applied
only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will caramelize,
burn and turn black from the heat.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Dimitri

telmgren

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
news
> Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be

applied
> only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will

caramelize,
> burn and turn black from the heat.
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

Call me crazy, but I actually like it when the sauce caramelizes a little
bit. Along the same lines I like my hotdogs charred a little as well. I
know I'm weird. Am I the only one?

Cindy hamilton

"telmgren" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> news >
> > Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be

> applied
> > only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will

> caramelize,
> > burn and turn black from the heat.
> >
> > http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

> Call me crazy, but I actually like it when the sauce caramelizes a little
> bit. Along the same lines I like my hotdogs charred a little as well. I
> know I'm weird. Am I the only one?

Nope. I'm the same way. I feel that a little char on the hotdog makes
it more than "warm bologna".

And a little black on the barbecue sauce isn't a sin; the slight bitterness
complements the sweet, sour, and salty flavors perfectly. Hits *all* the
taste buds.

Cindy Hamilton
Cindy hamilton

"telmgren" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> news >
> > Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be

> applied
> > only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will

> caramelize,
> > burn and turn black from the heat.
> >
> > http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

> Call me crazy, but I actually like it when the sauce caramelizes a little
> bit. Along the same lines I like my hotdogs charred a little as well. I
> know I'm weird. Am I the only one?

Nope. I'm the same way. I feel that a little char on the hotdog makes
it more than "warm bologna".

And a little black on the barbecue sauce isn't a sin; the slight bitterness
complements the sweet, sour, and salty flavors perfectly. Hits *all* the
taste buds.

Cindy Hamilton
blake murphy

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:01:53 GMT, "telmgren" >
wrote:

>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
>news >
>> Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be

>applied
>> only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will

>caramelize,
>> burn and turn black from the heat.
>>
>> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

>Call me crazy, but I actually like it when the sauce caramelizes a little
>bit. Along the same lines I like my hotdogs charred a little as well. I
>know I'm weird. Am I the only one?

no, the only weird person on this group is the gent who puts ketchup
on ketchup.

your pal,
blake
Mr. Wizard

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:01:53 GMT, "telmgren" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> >news > >
> >> Finishing sauces, especially those with tomato and sugar, should be

> >applied
> >> only at the very end of cooking. If applied too early, they will

> >caramelize,
> >> burn and turn black from the heat.
> >>
> >> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

> >Call me crazy, but I actually like it when the sauce caramelizes a little
> >bit. Along the same lines I like my hotdogs charred a little as well. I
> >know I'm weird. Am I the only one?
> >

> no, the only weird person on this group is the gent who puts ketchup
> on ketchup.

I had to do that once. It was the only thing to eat in the house.