Phred

Default Ribeye and roo [Was: PING: Ms Leebee (aus.food related)]

In article >, cathyxyz > wrote:
>Ms Leebee wrote:
>> cathyxyz wrote:

[...]
>>>still take a look-see. But... there are plenty of Aussies who would
>>>benefit from their own cooking group in Oz, IMHO. Even if it's purely
>>>for the "local" food, terminology, favourite TV chefs/shows, stores,
>>>products, brands of kitchen appliances etc.

>> too kind, you are. I hope you keep posting !
>>

>I surely will!
>
>An example of "local" terminology: there was a looooong thread about the
>"merits" of ribeye steak on RFC recently.... It's not such a popular cut
>of meat in RSA and I had not even tried it myself. To be honest, I have
>not seen it on many "steak-house" menus over here, and we have a lot of
>them However, ribeye is available so when I went shopping yesterday,
>I made a point of looking for some. I found it eventually, but took one
>look and thought - "So what was all the fuss about?" We usually buy
>what we call "fillet" steak - very lean and tender. Rump steak is very
>popular too. Ribeye is a bit too "marbled" (read fatty-looking) for me.
> I also read somewhere that it is also known as scotch fillet in Oz.
>Is this true?

Yep. It used to be much cheaper than real fillet, hence "Scotch".
(And deservedly cheaper IMO.)

>Now, let's talk about ostrich steak - delicious, if you know how to
>prepare it, or South African wine... heh heh heh. Oh well, I think you
>see what I'm getting at.

We usually have to make do with emu. ;-)

I've always thought the tourist industry here could market a "Coat of
Arms cold collage" of kangaroo and emu. But I've recently detected
some foreign criticism [mostly whingeing bloody Poms at it again] of
Aussies eating their national emblems, and subsequent calls for a
boycott of the place. Speaking personally, I'd be happy if *all* the
bloody tourists went away; but I guess that wouldn't be too good for
the economy of tourist ghettos like Cairns, so I'll have to lump it.

[Note: followups directed back to the ribeye world at RFC.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID