Dee Randall

Default Raclette educated & pizza screen choice

First I heard of raclette cheese from Pandora, I think when she suggested
that raclette could be a substitution for fontina, when I was inquiring
about not being able to find Italian fontina.

Then came the raclette-maker, a picture of a round appliance that I thought
one was used to melt raclette.

Then I found from another poster that raclette was used to melt over
potatoes and it was my understanding that raclette cheese and the raclette
devise was named identically and that was the origin cheese and the product
name.

Now on a visit to a chef's store, I found this book with the raclette
grill/oven picture on front:
http://www.125west.com/Swissmar_Kitc...e_recipes.html
"This colorful 64-page book by Claudia Schmidt is filled with raclette
cheese recipes, serving tips, cheese glossary, and raclette grill
information. Recipes include the traditional and the contemporary that
combine melted cheese with meats, seafood, poultry, or vegetables."
The book contained mostly recipes for a raclette (grill) that did NOT always
use raclette cheese, some did not even use any cheese at all, some used
other cheeses, but this grill is still a raclette.

Is there no end to this raclette business -- tee hee? It's amazing what you
discover when you know just a little bit about something.

Written mainly for/to Wayne:
I have hesitated to write about this pizza screen that is very usable, on
stone or not, as one has the inclination. So many have 'real' issues about
the use of their stones and tiles. I find the pizza screen yet another
alternative, although I'm mainly a stone ueser. At Chef's one pays $4.25 or
$4.95 whereas online they are much cheaper.
http://www.instawares.com/Pizza-Scre...-18716.0.7.htm The
pictures do not do them justice. I bought the same brand, but it looks to
me that there is a round 'thingy' that one sets the screen into?
Dee Dee

sf

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:43:32 -0400, Dee Randall wrote:

> Written mainly for/to Wayne:
> I have hesitated to write about this pizza screen that is very usable, on
> stone or not, as one has the inclination. So many have 'real' issues about
> the use of their stones and tiles. I find the pizza screen yet another
> alternative, although I'm mainly a stone ueser. At Chef's one pays $4.25 or
> $4.95 whereas online they are much cheaper.
> http://www.instawares.com/Pizza-Scre...-18716.0.7.htm The
> pictures do not do them justice. I bought the same brand, but it looks to
> me that there is a round 'thingy' that one sets the screen into?

I have something similar except it's rectangular and the size of a
cookie sheet. I use it to heat up anything that isn't "messy".

Vilco

Stavo dormendo su un bancale di lambro quando il post di Dee Randall
mi desto'

> The book contained mostly recipes for a raclette (grill) that did

NOT
> always use raclette cheese, some did not even use any cheese at all,
> some used other cheeses, but this grill is still a raclette.

Glad you took some time to know this device, it's a nice device for
party meals. The one I use is very similar to this one:
http://www.raclette-fondue.com/html/raclette.html
and that book's intro is AFAIK right: the name raclette applies both
to the cheese and to the device. When we use the raclette device
there's always some cheese on the table, be it raclette or not; I
particularly like brie, young pecorino cheese, camembert and
gorgonzola. The latter is magnificent with eggs just cracked with it
in the cooking/serving spatula: 2-3 minutes in the heat and it's done.
If you like it, sprinkle with some grated parmigiano (I love it on
eggs) and "fly"
Anyway, just use your preferred young cheeses, where young stays for
"short-aged" (less than 2 months, as a general guideline) and play
with eggs and bacon: this weird device can be theyr paradise
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:25:54 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:

>When we use the raclette device
>there's always some cheese on the table, be it raclette or not; I
>particularly like brie, young pecorino cheese, camembert and
>gorgonzola.

Try scamorza affumicata, it's wonderful that way! Also, Pecorino al
Tartufo.
I've been trying lots of different cheeses in there. Chèvre can be
very good, but by all means avoid mozzarella.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:25:54 GMT, "Vilco" > wrote:
>
>>When we use the raclette device
>>there's always some cheese on the table, be it raclette or not; I
>>particularly like brie, young pecorino cheese, camembert and
>>gorgonzola.

> Try scamorza affumicata, it's wonderful that way! Also, Pecorino al
> Tartufo.
> I've been trying lots of different cheeses in there. Chèvre can be
> very good, but by all means avoid mozzarella.
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some ham.
Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata" (little
nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are slightly
bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I put in the
frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because are floured)
and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and serve.
Here the photo
http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
Cheers
Pandora

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:53 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some ham.
>Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata" (little
>nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are slightly
>bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I put in the
>frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because are floured)
>and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and serve.
>Here the photo
>http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
>Cheers
>Pandora

Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

Nathalie in Switzerland
Bob (this one)

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:53 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some ham.
>>Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata" (little
>>nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are slightly
>>bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I put in the
>>frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because are floured)
>>and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and serve.
>>Here the photo
>>http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.

It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.

Pastorio
Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:53 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some ham.
>>Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata"
>>(little
>>nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are slightly
>>bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I put in
>>the
>>frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because are
>>floured)
>>and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and serve.
>>Here the photo
>>http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
>>Cheers
>>Pandora
>>

> Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

Perhaps is the cold weather
Pandora

> Nathalie in Switzerland

Pandora

"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Nathalie Chiva wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:53 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some
>>>ham.
>>>Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata"
>>>(little nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are
>>>slightly bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I
>>>put in the frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because
>>>are floured) and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and
>>>serve.
>>>Here the photo
>>>http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora

>> Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

> Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
> paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
> doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.
>
> It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.
>
> Pastorio

I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
Pandora

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:36:04 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
>messaggio ...
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:53 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I like very much scamorza. I use to cook it in a frying pan with some ham.
>>>Generally I use the so called "Nocciolini di mozzarella affumicata"
>>>(little
>>>nuts of smoked mozzarella) that I find in the market. They are slightly
>>>bigger than a nut. I cut them in a half, then I flour them and I put in
>>>the
>>>frying pan for some minutes. They come cryspy outside (because are
>>>floured)
>>>and soft inside. At the end I put over a slice of ham and serve.
>>>Here the photo
>>>http://tinypic.com/axihli.jpg
>>>Cheers
>>>Pandora
>>>

>> Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

>Perhaps is the cold weather
>Pandora

Nah, it's YOU (accusing finger)! <g>

Nathalie in Switzerland

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:38:27 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>> Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
>> paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
>> doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.
>>
>> It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.
>>
>> Pastorio

>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>Pandora

Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
(which is a smoked Italian cheese)!

Nathalie in Switzerland

Dee Randall

"Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:38:27 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>> Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
>>> paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
>>> doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.
>>>
>>> It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>>Pandora
>>

> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.

Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:

2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE vinegar

*I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it doesn't
curdle immediately.

Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.

*I used #6 on my electric stove.

Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
immediately separate from the green whey.

Pour immediately into a colander.

I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across the
sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of it. No
need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent, non-smelling
cheesecloth, anyway)

Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.

(You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)

Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and twist
it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.

Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it -- I
used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top stays
taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is not
necessary.

Use immediately or wrap no longer than 24 hours.

I don't know about freezing it.

***

It's easy enough to make. Some Indian recipes will substitute tofu for
paneer. I find the tofu texture not as good as paneer for my texture
palette.

Dee Dee

Bob (this one)

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:38:27 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>>Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
>>>paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
>>>doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.
>>>
>>>It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>>Pandora
>>

> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!

I've eaten it in Italy.

Paneer is a kind of cheese that will form a crust when fried but doesn't
melt. That's why I mentioned it. It stays flexible after cooking. If you
want a smoky flavor, add three or four drops of liquid smoke to the milk
before curdling.

It can also be used as a wrapper for other foods, and one way I've done
that is to shred or chop the cheese coarsely and spread evenly across
the inside of a medium-hot skillet. As the cheese cooks, the pieces
stick together. When it brows well on one side, turn it over to brown
it, too. After cooking, if you put it flat on a plate, you can pile
foods on it like a piadina or unopened pita and fold it closed over the
foods you added.

I like to put in it a thin slice of ham topped with chopped hot peppers
in a Mexican-style salsa. I have added dried herbs to the cheese before
cooking on other occasions, and I like that, too.

Pastorio
Bob (this one)

Dee Randall wrote:

> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>
> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>
> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE vinegar
>
> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it doesn't
> curdle immediately.
>
> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>
> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>
> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
> immediately separate from the green whey.
>
> Pour immediately into a colander.
>
> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across the
> sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of it. No
> need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent, non-smelling
> cheesecloth, anyway)
>
> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>
> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)

Add to soups, breads and sauces.

You can use it to water outside plants.

> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and twist
> it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>
> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it -- I
> used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top stays
> taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is not
> necessary.

Different setup: I use a towel-lined colander with a board on top and a
# 10 can on top of that and put it in the refrigerator to drain. But I
let mine drain for an hour or more to make it very dense.

> Use immediately or wrap no longer than 24 hours.
>
> I don't know about freezing it.

I refrigerate it and it keeps for a couple weeks just fine.

> It's easy enough to make. Some Indian recipes will substitute tofu for
> paneer. I find the tofu texture not as good as paneer for my texture
> palette.

Tofu has its place, just not at the dinner table.

Pastorio
Dee Randall

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

>> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>>
>> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>>
>> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE
>> vinegar
>>
>> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it
>> doesn't curdle immediately.
>>
>> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>>
>> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>>
>> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
>> immediately separate from the green whey.
>>
>> Pour immediately into a colander.
>>
>> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across
>> the sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of
>> it. No need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent,
>> non-smelling cheesecloth, anyway)
>>
>> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>>
>> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)

> Add to soups, breads and sauces.
>
> You can use it to water outside plants.
>
>> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and
>> twist it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>>
>> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it --
>> I used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top
>> stays taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is
>> not necessary.

> Different setup: I use a towel-lined colander with a board on top and a #
> 10 can on top of that and put it in the refrigerator to drain. But I let
> mine drain for an hour or more to make it very dense.

I tend to agree with you re draining longer, but I find it unnecessary for
my own use -- after reading "Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian " Homemade
Indian Cheese" "Paneer" p. 561, she says:
"I used to press the cheese for several hours, making it quite dense. On my
last trip to the villages of the Punjab, I realized that this was not at all
necessary. The villagers were pressing their cheeses for a mere 3 to 4
minutes! The cheeses were light an delicious."

She says also that you can flavor the cheese this way:
"As soon as most of the whey has drained out of the colander, add any spices
or herbs and mix them in gently."

Bob, I like paneer dense also.
Thanks for your response,
Dee Dee

Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:36:04 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
>>messaggio ...

>>> Damn. Now I'm hungry again (and I just finished lunch!).

>>Perhaps is the cold weather
>>Pandora

> Nah, it's YOU (accusing finger)! <g>

Oh, Sorry

> Nathalie in Switzerland

Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:38:27 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>

>>> Another way to get that crispy outside and creamy inside is to slice
>>> paneer (also spelled panir) cheese or queso fresco and simply fry it. It
>>> doesn't melt and the surface will brown very nicely.
>>>
>>> It's easy to make paneer at home. Google.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>>Pandora
>>

> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!

Yes, you are right, Nathalie. Nothing in common with scamorza affumicata!
I saw the photo and the recipes to do Paneer, I want to try.
Why do you say that you can use only for cooking?
And then, what is a cheesecloth? I didn't find this in the web pages.
Cheers
Pandora

> Nathalie in Switzerland

Pandora

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in
> message ...

>>>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>>>Pandora
>>>

>> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
>> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
>> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
>> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>
> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>

> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE
> vinegar
>
> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it doesn't
> curdle immediately.
>

> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>
> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>

> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
> immediately separate from the green whey.
>

> Pour immediately into a colander.
>
> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across the
> sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of it.
> No need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent, non-smelling
> cheesecloth, anyway)
>

> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>
> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)
>

> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and
> twist it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>

> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it -- I
> used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top
> stays taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is
> not necessary.
>

> Use immediately or wrap no longer than 24 hours.
>
> I don't know about freezing it.
>
> ***
>
> It's easy enough to make. Some Indian recipes will substitute tofu for
> paneer. I find the tofu texture not as good as paneer for my texture
> palette.
>
> Dee Dee

Thank you Dee Dee!!!! I will try.
Can one eat paneer without cooking it?
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora

"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Nathalie Chiva wrote:

>>>I will go and google but what is Paneer? A cheese? I want to do it?
>>>Pandora

>> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
>> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
>> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
>> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!

> I've eaten it in Italy.
>
> Paneer is a kind of cheese that will form a crust when fried but doesn't
> melt. That's why I mentioned it. It stays flexible after cooking. If you
> want a smoky flavor, add three or four drops of liquid smoke to the milk
> before curdling.

Ohhhhhhh! I don't know this "liquid smoke". What is? Have you got a photo,
please?

> It can also be used as a wrapper for other foods, and one way I've done
> that is to shred or chop the cheese coarsely and spread evenly across the
> inside of a medium-hot skillet. As the cheese cooks, the pieces stick
> together. When it brows well on one side, turn it over to brown it, too.
> After cooking, if you put it flat on a plate, you can pile foods on it
> like a piadina or unopened pita and fold it closed over the foods you
> added.

Nice!

> I like to put in it a thin slice of ham topped with chopped hot peppers in
> a Mexican-style salsa. I have added dried herbs to the cheese before
> cooking on other occasions, and I like that, too.

Very good! When you add the herbs? While the milk boil or after?
Pandora

> Pastorio

Pandora

"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>>>
>>> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>>>
>>> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE
>>> vinegar
>>>
>>> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it
>>> doesn't curdle immediately.
>>>
>>> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>>>
>>> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>>>
>>> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds
>>> will immediately separate from the green whey.
>>>
>>> Pour immediately into a colander.
>>>
>>> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across
>>> the sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of
>>> it. No need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent,
>>> non-smelling cheesecloth, anyway)
>>>
>>> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>>>
>>> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)

>> Add to soups, breads and sauces.
>>
>> You can use it to water outside plants.
>>
>>> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and
>>> twist it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>>>
>>> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it --
>>> I used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top
>>> stays taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is
>>> not necessary.

>> Different setup: I use a towel-lined colander with a board on top and a #
>> 10 can on top of that and put it in the refrigerator to drain. But I let
>> mine drain for an hour or more to make it very dense.
>>

> I tend to agree with you re draining longer, but I find it unnecessary for
> my own use -- after reading "Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian " Homemade
> Indian Cheese" "Paneer" p. 561, she says:
> "I used to press the cheese for several hours, making it quite dense. On
> my last trip to the villages of the Punjab, I realized that this was not
> at all necessary. The villagers were pressing their cheeses for a mere 3
> to 4 minutes! The cheeses were light an delicious."
>
> She says also that you can flavor the cheese this way:
> "As soon as most of the whey has drained out of the colander, add any
> spices or herbs and mix them in gently."

Ahh! OK! I asked to Pastorio but you have answered!
Thank you.
Pandora

> Bob, I like paneer dense also.
> Thanks for your response,
> Dee Dee

Nathalie Chiva

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:15:02 +0200, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>Yes, you are right, Nathalie. Nothing in common with scamorza affumicata!
>I saw the photo and the recipes to do Paneer, I want to try.
>Why do you say that you can use only for cooking?

Well, it doesn't have that much taste without anything on it.

>And then, what is a cheesecloth? I didn't find this in the web pages.

Cheesecolth translates as "Tela per il formaggio". In French it's
called "Toile à beurre", which translates as "Tela per il burro". It's
very fine loosely weaved whitish cloth, used to drain freshly made
cheese and, in old days, butter.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Pandora

"Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:15:02 +0200, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>>Yes, you are right, Nathalie. Nothing in common with scamorza affumicata!
>>I saw the photo and the recipes to do Paneer, I want to try.
>>Why do you say that you can use only for cooking?

> Well, it doesn't have that much taste without anything on it.
>
>>And then, what is a cheesecloth? I didn't find this in the web pages.

> Cheesecolth translates as "Tela per il formaggio". In French it's
> called "Toile à beurre", which translates as "Tela per il burro". It's
> very fine loosely weaved whitish cloth, used to drain freshly made
> cheese and, in old days, butter.

Can I use a normal kitchen towel?
Cheers
Pandora

> Nathalie in Switzerland

Dee Randall

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> "Nathalie Chiva" > wrote in
>> message ...

>>> Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
>>> strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
>>> But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
>>> (which is a smoked Italian cheese)!
>>>
>>> Nathalie in Switzerland

>> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>>
>> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>>

>> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE
>> vinegar
>>
>> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it
>> doesn't curdle immediately.
>>

>> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>>
>> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>>

>> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
>> immediately separate from the green whey.
>>

>> Pour immediately into a colander.
>>
>> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across the
>> sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of it.
>> No need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent, non-smelling
>> cheesecloth, anyway)
>>

>> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>>
>> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)
>>

>> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and
>> twist it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>>

>> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it --
>> I used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top
>> stays taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is
>> not necessary.
>>

>> Use immediately or wrap no longer than 24 hours.
>>
>> I don't know about freezing it.
>>
>> ***
>>
>> It's easy enough to make. Some Indian recipes will substitute tofu for
>> paneer. I find the tofu texture not as good as paneer for my texture
>> palette.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Thank you Dee Dee!!!! I will try.
> Can one eat paneer without cooking it?
> Cheers
> Pandora

If you mean, without draining it with a weight, yes, it is called 'curds.'
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto nel
> messaggio ...
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:15:02 +0200, "Pandora" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, you are right, Nathalie. Nothing in common with scamorza affumicata!
>>>I saw the photo and the recipes to do Paneer, I want to try.
>>>Why do you say that you can use only for cooking?

>> Well, it doesn't have that much taste without anything on it.
>>
>>>And then, what is a cheesecloth? I didn't find this in the web pages.

>> Cheesecolth translates as "Tela per il formaggio". In French it's
>> called "Toile à beurre", which translates as "Tela per il burro". It's
>> very fine loosely weaved whitish cloth, used to drain freshly made
>> cheese and, in old days, butter.

> Can I use a normal kitchen towel?
> Cheers
> Pandora
>>
>> Nathalie in Switzerland

I use a beat-up worn-out thin/looseweave kitchen towel. Cheesecloth to me
has an odor like it has been treated. I would have to wash it first,
myself.
Dee Dee

Bob (this one)

Pandora wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>>Nathalie Chiva wrote:

>>>Indian fresh cheese. Easy to make at home, with milk, lemon juice, a
>>>strainer and cheesecloth. Used only in cooking if I'm not mistaken.
>>>But Bob, the taste has nothing in common with scamorza affumicata
>>>(which is a smoked Italian cheese)!

>>I've eaten it in Italy.
>>
>>Paneer is a kind of cheese that will form a crust when fried but doesn't
>>melt. That's why I mentioned it. It stays flexible after cooking. If you
>>want a smoky flavor, add three or four drops of liquid smoke to the milk
>>before curdling.

> Ohhhhhhh! I don't know this "liquid smoke". What is? Have you got a photo,
> please?

This is the most popular brand in America.
<http://www.colgin.com/>

There are other companies making products like this.

>>It can also be used as a wrapper for other foods, and one way I've done
>>that is to shred or chop the cheese coarsely and spread evenly across the
>>inside of a medium-hot skillet. As the cheese cooks, the pieces stick
>>together. When it brows well on one side, turn it over to brown it, too.
>>After cooking, if you put it flat on a plate, you can pile foods on it
>>like a piadina or unopened pita and fold it closed over the foods you
>>added.

> Nice!
>
>>I like to put in it a thin slice of ham topped with chopped hot peppers in
>>a Mexican-style salsa. I have added dried herbs to the cheese before
>>cooking on other occasions, and I like that, too.

> Very good! When you add the herbs? While the milk boil or after?

Before. Put the herbs in the milk and let it sit for one hour, then
slowly bring to a boil. I usually filter out most of the herbs after
boiling. I like it better than way.

Pastorio

Pandora

"Bob (this one)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:

>>>I've eaten it in Italy.
>>>
>>>Paneer is a kind of cheese that will form a crust when fried but doesn't
>>>melt. That's why I mentioned it. It stays flexible after cooking. If you
>>>want a smoky flavor, add three or four drops of liquid smoke to the milk
>>>before curdling.

>> Ohhhhhhh! I don't know this "liquid smoke". What is? Have you got a
>> photo, please?

> This is the most popular brand in America.
> <http://www.colgin.com/>

What a wonderful thing! We haven't in Italy!

> There are other companies making products like this.

[CUT]

>> Very good! When you add the herbs? While the milk boil or after?

> Before. Put the herbs in the milk and let it sit for one hour, then slowly
> bring to a boil. I usually filter out most of the herbs after boiling. I
> like it better than way.

Thank you Pastorio! I like very much herbs in cheese. I want try.
It's a pity that I havn't liquid smoke!
I like very much smoked things.
Cheers and thank you again
Pandora

> Pastorio

Victor Sack

Pandora > wrote:

> "Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto
> >
> > Cheesecolth translates as "Tela per il formaggio". In French it's
> > called "Toile à beurre", which translates as "Tela per il burro". It's
> > very fine loosely weaved whitish cloth, used to drain freshly made
> > cheese and, in old days, butter.

> Can I use a normal kitchen towel?

I wouldn't. An average kitchen towel is too densely woven to be very
efficient for draining liquids. Can you find something called "garza
(di cotone)"?

Victor
Pandora

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> "Nathalie Chiva" > ha scritto
>> >
>> > Cheesecolth translates as "Tela per il formaggio". In French it's
>> > called "Toile à beurre", which translates as "Tela per il burro". It's
>> > very fine loosely weaved whitish cloth, used to drain freshly made
>> > cheese and, in old days, butter.

>> Can I use a normal kitchen towel?

> I wouldn't. An average kitchen towel is too densely woven to be very
> efficient for draining liquids. Can you find something called "garza
> (di cotone)"?

Oh Yes! The one used to filter liqueurs, coud go?
Thank you
Pandora
> Victor

Victor Sack

Pandora > wrote:

> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto:
> >
> > Can you find something called "garza (di cotone)"?
> >

> Oh Yes! The one used to filter liqueurs, coud go?

I wouldn't know. The only liquor (not liqueur) I have ever filtered was
vodka with peppers steeped therein. Put pepper(s) in vodka, steep for
some time (which depends on the pepper(s) used and one's preference),
strain through several layers of cheesecloth. AFAIC, cheesecloth is the
same as garza or mussola di cotone.

Victor
Pandora

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> "Victor Sack" > ha scritto:
>> >
>> > Can you find something called "garza (di cotone)"?
>> >

>> Oh Yes! The one used to filter liqueurs, coud go?

> I wouldn't know. The only liquor (not liqueur) I have ever filtered was
> vodka with peppers steeped therein. Put pepper(s) in vodka, steep for
> some time (which depends on the pepper(s) used and one's preference),
> strain through several layers of cheesecloth. AFAIC, cheesecloth is the
> same as garza or mussola di cotone.

Ah! Ok! thank you!
Vodka peppers (!!!!!!?????!!!!). Terrible!
Pandora

> Victor

Victor Sack

Pandora > wrote:

> Vodka peppers (!!!!!!?????!!!!). Terrible!

What's wrong with spicy vodka? Vodka, if at all good, has not much
taste to speak of, so the only flavour is that of whatever pepper(s) you
choose to use. Good by itself; good in Bloody Marys. Certainly beats
any kind of grappa, including those from the likes of Nonino or Levi.
Ugh.

Victor
Bob (this one)

Victor Sack wrote:
> Pandora > wrote:
>

>>Vodka peppers (!!!!!!?????!!!!). Terrible!

> What's wrong with spicy vodka? Vodka, if at all good, has not much
> taste to speak of, so the only flavour is that of whatever pepper(s) you
> choose to use. Good by itself; good in Bloody Marys. Certainly beats
> any kind of grappa, including those from the likes of Nonino or Levi.
> Ugh.

Last X-mas, I gave people nesting bottle sets of infused vodkas. The
flavors were lemon, orange, lime, hot pepper and pomegranate. Citrus was
zest in vodka for 60 days before X-mas and left in the bottles. Peppers
and pomegranates, same way.

A bloody mary made 1/2 and 1/2 with pepper and lemon vodkas is grand.

Pastorio
Pandora

"Victor Sack" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .
> Pandora > wrote:
>
>> Vodka peppers (!!!!!!?????!!!!). Terrible!

> What's wrong with spicy vodka? Vodka, if at all good, has not much
> taste to speak of, so the only flavour is that of whatever pepper(s) you
> choose to use. Good by itself; good in Bloody Marys. Certainly beats
> any kind of grappa, including those from the likes of Nonino or Levi.
> Ugh.
>
> Victor

I don't know I don't like Grappa very much.
I only drink grappa to make the famous "Caffè alla Valdostana!
In Val D'Aosta (The Italian region near Piedmont and france), they drink
this coffee in the *grolla*
Grolla is this:
http://search.virgilio.it/search/cgi...10&qs =grolla
Before drink they put fire inside (this is very beautiful to see) then cover
with the top (to estinguish the fire) and drink, one person at a time.
Cheers
Pandora

Bob Myers

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

> Last X-mas, I gave people nesting bottle sets of infused vodkas.

Sounds great, but could you 'splain the "nesting bottles"
part? The first image that brought to mind can't possibly
be right...

Bob M.

Bob (this one)

Bob Myers wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>Last X-mas, I gave people nesting bottle sets of infused vodkas.

> Sounds great, but could you 'splain the "nesting bottles"
> part? The first image that brought to mind can't possibly
> be right...

They're bottles with parallel, wavy sides that are designed to fit
against themselves. The left side of any of the bottles fits against the
right side of another one just like it. So an infinite number of
identical "nesting" bottles can fit together

Pastorio

Pandora

I've made just now *my first paneer*. I'm very happy: it came good, but
insipid and tasteless.
I put 1/2 l of whole milk (I have used the long conservation one) in a sauce
pan.
When it was very hot (I have not brought it to a real boiling) I put inside
1 1/2 tbs of tarragon vinegar (the one I shown you): the curds has
separated instantly from the whey. Then I put it immediately in a little
round colander lined with a tea towel. Then I I've pushed the cheese
against the colander net with a big spoon. Then I've closed thight the
towel around the cheese making a ball. Then I've put this ball between two
chopping boards, putting over (as weight) a big bottle of 5 litres.
The result is this:
http://tinypic.com/b5preq.jpg
http://tinypic.com/b5prgi.jpg
Now I' ve some questions:
1) Can I put some salt in the milk before add the vinegar?
2) Does this cheese melt if cooked?
3) Can I use soya milk to have a cheese like tofu?

Cheese
Pandora who made for her first time cheese.

>> I have used both lemon juice and vinegar.
>>
>> Here is my 'working' recipe from World Vegetarian for Paneer:
>>
>> 2 quarts rich whole milk 3 to 4 tablespoons distilled WHITE
>> vinegar
>>
>> *I used 3 tablespoons of distilled WHITE vinegar; can use 4T if it
>> doesn't curdle immediately.
>>
>> Put the milk in a large heavy pan and set over medium-high heat.
>>
>> *I used #6 on my electric stove.
>>
>> Bring the milk 'just" to a boil and then add the vinegar. The curds will
>> immediately separate from the green whey.
>>
>> Pour immediately into a colander.
>>
>> I prefer to use one of those rectangular sieves that stretches across
>> the sink with a thinnish dishtowel that covered the bottom and sides of
>> it. No need to use (waste) cheesecloth (can't buy any decent,
>> non-smelling cheesecloth, anyway)
>>
>> Allow most of the whey to drain out of the colander.
>>
>> (You can save the whey to make Peas Paneer)

> Add to soups, breads and sauces.
>
> You can use it to water outside plants.
>
>> Immediately (it will be extremely hot) squeeze into a round bundle and
>> twist it around so that the cheese is in a tight ball.
>>
>> Put this ball between 2 small chopping boards with a 5# weight on it --
>> I used a FULL bottle of bottled water -- make sure that the twisted top
>> stays taut to hold the cheese together. Let sit 3-4 minutes. Longer is
>> not necessary.

> Different setup: I use a towel-lined colander with a board on top and a #
> 10 can on top of that and put it in the refrigerator to drain. But I let
> mine drain for an hour or more to make it very dense.
>
>> Use immediately or wrap no longer than 24 hours.
>>
>> I don't know about freezing it.

> I refrigerate it and it keeps for a couple weeks just fine.
>
>> It's easy enough to make. Some Indian recipes will substitute tofu for
>> paneer. I find the tofu texture not as good as paneer for my texture
>> palette.

> Tofu has its place, just not at the dinner table.
>
> Pastorio

Mr Libido Incognito

Pandora wrote on 25 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Now I' ve some questions:
> 1) Can I put some salt in the milk before add the vinegar?
> 2) Does this cheese melt if cooked?
> 3) Can I use soya milk to have a cheese like tofu?

1 yes
2 no
3 don't know

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Pandora

"Mr Libido Incognito" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote on 25 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Now I' ve some questions:
>> 1) Can I put some salt in the milk before add the vinegar?
>> 2) Does this cheese melt if cooked?
>> 3) Can I use soya milk to have a cheese like tofu?
>>

> 1 yes
> 2 no
> 3 don't know
>
> --
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Thank you
Pandora

Victor Sack

Bob (this one) > wrote:

> Last X-mas, I gave people nesting bottle sets of infused vodkas. The
> flavors were lemon, orange, lime, hot pepper and pomegranate. Citrus was
> zest in vodka for 60 days before X-mas and left in the bottles. Peppers
> and pomegranates, same way.

Sounds very nice. What kind of peppers did you use?

Victor
Pandora

"Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
I have tried just now another experiment. I made a paneer with soya milk. I
think I made a tofu. I put 3 tbs of vinegar instead of one and i boiled the
milk with herbs and salt, for about 5 minutes, because it was diffiucult to
separate curds from whey.
Does anyone have any suggestion?
Cheers
Pandora