Caesar Salad Dressing Question

Old 31-05-2004, 01:07 PM
focksfire
Usenet poster

Default Caesar Salad Dressing Question

Morning All

I made homemade caesar salad dressing last night. The recipe called for an
egg yolk. I had some left over and I was wondering how long the dressing
will stay good for? I'm just worried it may go bad quickly because of the
egg yolk.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you!
Jane

--
Remove the obvious to reply

Old 31-05-2004, 03:45 PM
lacticrat
Usenet poster

One of the great things about Caesar dressing is the amount of SALT it
contains - from the anchovies, the cheese, the worcestershire (if you use
that)... this means that the dressing will keep a good two weeks if you
refrigerate it. This holds true for any egg-based dressing - I make my
own mayonnaise with a good hit of salt and it lasts at least three weeks
(I make a lot)!

Happy cooking,

lacticrat

Old 31-05-2004, 04:17 PM
focksfire
Usenet poster

Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses!!

I did use anchovies, and Worcestershire so I'm happy to hear that it will
last. (Probably not longer than tonight since I know I can eat it and it's
not gone bad. :-)

Thanks guys/gals
Jane

lkaboutcooking.com...

Old 31-05-2004, 10:15 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

Dog3 writes:

"lacticrat" wrote:

One of the great things about Caesar dressing is the amount of SALT it
contains - I make my
own mayonnaise with a good hit of salt and it lasts at least three weeks

This sounds about right. I think I've kept mine for about 10+ days once in
awhile. Thanks for the 2 week tip. I'll not worry if it's not eaten right
away.

You do realize that two week old caesar dressing is gonna taste somewhat like
unwashed pussy... safe to eat but pungent.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 01-06-2004, 12:59 AM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

I've never kept it much longer than a week.
Besides, I usually throw in a couple of extra anchovies and garlic cloves
which would add to the overpowering flavor. The dressing I make is not a
true caesar dressing, but it's close enough to taste nasty after 2 weeks in
the fridge. We eat it too fast to keep it long. Besides, I like to dunk
potato chips in it too.

Michael

Caesar type dressing is good for potato salad, hot thin sliced potatoes, don't
even bother to peel em... kinda like German potato salad, but with lotsa
anchovies and garlic instead of bacon and onion.

For lunch today I had tuna salad, two cans drained water pack tuna (not
squeezed), fine dice a small onyun and three ribs celery, a can of rinsed white
kidney beans, a small can flat anchovies coarse chopped (add oil too), an ounce
of el cheapo balsamic vinegar, parsley, mashed garlic clove, black and white
pepper, and a half cup Hellmans mayo. Toss well and dig in... ate better than
half. Yes, the babies got the tuna juice.

I was hungry, worked up a massive appetite rototilling my veggie garden... next
time you see a commercial depicting some frail ninety year old running a seven
horsepower tiller with one hand don't you believe it.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Charles Gifford
Usenet poster

"focksfire" wrote in message
Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses!!

I did use anchovies, and Worcestershire so I'm happy to hear that it will
last. (Probably not longer than tonight since I know I can eat it and

it's
not gone bad. :-)

Thanks guys/gals
Jane

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad. Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie

Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Karen O'Mara
Usenet poster

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message thlink.net...
I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad. Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie, you *do* have your definite battles! Have you thought about
being a judge on American Idol, or something? You could give that
relentless Simon a run for his money.

Karen
Old 01-06-2004, 09:13 PM
Biff

"focksfire" wrote in message
Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses!!

I did use anchovies, and Worcestershire so I'm happy to hear that it will
last. (Probably not longer than tonight since I know I can eat it and

it's
not gone bad. :-)

Thanks guys/gals
Jane

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad. Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie

Not so, this a favorite.

Biff
Updated Caesar Salad (This means safe, no raw eggs)
Serves 4

Dressing:
1 Tbsp prepared mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce, a few drops
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp capers
10 anchovy fillets (optional)
8 cloves garlic, roasted (see recipe below)
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1-1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Salad:
4 cup Romaine lettuce, torn in lg. pieces
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Put all the ingredients for the dressing, except the olive oil, in a blender and
blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick add a little water. Tear washed
Romaine lettuce leaves in large pieces and put in a large salad bowl. Add the
dressing, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss and
serve.
How to Roast the Garlic:
Preheat the oven to 350. Rub each garlic clove with olive oil, put in a small
oven-proof pan and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with aluminum foil
and roast 45 minutes, until soft and lightly browned. Squeeze the garlic from
the skin and serve.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Bob (this one)
Usenet poster

"focksfire" wrote in message

Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses!!

I did use anchovies, and Worcestershire so I'm happy to hear
that it will last. (Probably not longer than tonight since I
know I can eat it and it's not gone bad. :-)

Thanks guys/gals Jane

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar
Salad. Caesar Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie

Not so, this a favorite.

Biff Updated Caesar Salad (This means safe, no raw eggs)

Adding the lime juice, vinegar, Worcestershire and mayo lowers the pH
enough that the eggs cease to be an issue. Without eggs, it's simply
not a Caesar dressing and it certainly won't emulsify as though it has
eggs. It's a vinaigrette with condiments. It should be called
something like "Caesar-ish (sorta) Dressing."

When essential ingredients are removed and others are added, it
becomes a different dish. The name should reflect that fact.

Pastorio

Old 02-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Charles Gifford
Usenet poster

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
m...
"Charles Gifford" wrote in message

thlink.net...
I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad.

Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie, you *do* have your definite battles! Have you thought about
being a judge on American Idol, or something? You could give that
relentless Simon a run for his money.

Karen

I wouldn't say battles, but I do feel it important to point out untruths to
people who may not know they are being fed a crock. Caesar's Salad is a
specific dish with specific ingredients by a known chef at a known
restaurant. Any variation from the actual dish renders it
no-longer-that-dish. Call it what else you want, but if you put anchovies or
mayonnaise or chicken or sour cream or whatever, and it is no longer Caesar
Salad so do not call it that. The same goes for "that pasta dish".

Charlie

Old 02-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Karen O'Mara
Usenet poster

"Charles Gifford" wrote in message hlink.net...
I wouldn't say battles, but I do feel it important to point out untruths to
people who may not know they are being fed a crock. Caesar's Salad is a
specific dish with specific ingredients by a known chef at a known
restaurant. Any variation from the actual dish renders it
no-longer-that-dish. Call it what else you want, but if you put anchovies or
mayonnaise or chicken or sour cream or whatever, and it is no longer Caesar
Salad so do not call it that. The same goes for "that pasta dish".

I respectfully disagree.

Like Walt Disney said, Disnayland is always changing. Of course,
there's the Disneyland we fondly remember, where guests dressed up in
their Sunday best to visit, or the when Disneyland had the People
Mover, or whatever we remember about the original or classic
Disneyland. But, today's Disneyland is still Disneyland.

I'm dumb at analogies, but I think Caesar salad made with anchovies
can be called a Caesar salad. It can't be called a fruit salad. I call
it a Caesar salad. I make Caesar salad with probably too many
anchovies. The original or classic recipe will always be written in
stone somewhere, but recipes evolve. The standard may evolve and only
resemble the original, with the goal of being evolving in a better
way.

Everyone puts their own spin on alfredo sauce, bolognese, Caesar,
jambalaya, brulee, or whatever, not to cause problems but to attract
return visitors.

Anyway, it's a battle to confine a classic, I think.

Karen
Old 02-06-2004, 10:37 PM
notbob
Usenet poster

On 2004-06-01, Charles Gifford wrote:

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad. Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

No WHOLE anchovies. But, Worcestershire sauce is made with anchovies,
so, technically....

I don't think it's stretching it too far to mash up one lil' ol' 'chovie,
specially if one is a serious anchovie junkie. I used to eat the salt
packed filets straight (after rinsing, of course). Damned gout cured me of
that jones. :~(

nb
--
Be considerate of others and
trim your posts. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Cindy hamilton
Usenet poster

"Bob (this one)" wrote in message ...

Adding the lime juice, vinegar, Worcestershire and mayo lowers the pH
enough that the eggs cease to be an issue. Without eggs, it's simply
not a Caesar dressing and it certainly won't emulsify as though it has
eggs. It's a vinaigrette with condiments. It should be called
something like "Caesar-ish (sorta) Dressing."

My husband makes a high-garlic, high-cayenne variation on Caesar that
I privately call "Seizure Dressing".

It's good. Potent, but good.

Cindy Hamilton
Old 05-06-2004, 04:22 AM
alzelt
Usenet poster

Charles Gifford wrote:

"focksfire" wrote in message

Wow, Thanks for the speedy responses!!

I did use anchovies, and Worcestershire so I'm happy to hear that it will
last. (Probably not longer than tonight since I know I can eat it and

it's

not gone bad. :-)

Thanks guys/gals
Jane

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad. Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie

Next thing you will tell me is that there is no Alfredo sauce!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Old 05-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Charles Gifford
Usenet poster

"alzelt" wrote in message

Charles Gifford wrote:

I hope you enjoyed it, but that is not a dressing for Caesar Salad.

Caesar
Salad contains no anchovies.

Charlie

Next thing you will tell me is that there is no Alfredo sauce!!
--
Alan

I would NEVER tell you that! Of course there is Alfredo Sauce. I saw some at
the grocery store in a bottle. It even included the traditional roasted
garlic, portobella mushrooms and kelp thickener.

Charlie