Peeling potatoes ahead of time???

Old 28-05-2004, 01:19 PM
TOM KAN PA
Usenet poster

Default Peeling potatoes ahead of time???

Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the potatoes
be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water for a few days?

Old 28-05-2004, 01:39 PM
Glenn Jacobs
Usenet poster

On 28 May 2004 12:19:48 GMT, TOM KAN PA wrote:

Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the potatoes
be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water for a few days?

I would keep them in water for a few hours, but not days. Unpealed
potatoes barely survive a few days anymore.

--
JakeInHartsel

Food, The Art Form that You Can Eat

Old 28-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeff
Usenet poster

On 28 May 2004 12:19:48 GMT, TOM KAN PA wrote:

Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the potatoes
be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water for a few days?

Make the potato salad on Saturday. That gives it the night to set up its
flavors. That's about as far ahead as you want to make it.

--

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old 28-05-2004, 02:01 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

tomkanpa

Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the potatoes
be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water for a few days?

Over night (8 hrs) is fine... more than a day they'll begin to decompose.

..
---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 28-05-2004, 02:13 PM
hahabogus
Usenet poster

Yeff wrote in
:

On 28 May 2004 12:19:48 GMT, TOM KAN PA wrote:

Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the
potatoes be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water
for a few days?

Make the potato salad on Saturday. That gives it the night to set up
its flavors. That's about as far ahead as you want to make it.

Boil and peel the potatoes tonight...day old potatoes taste best. Assemble
the salad Saturday and serve Sunday....If kept refridgerated...no problems.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Old 28-05-2004, 09:52 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

TOM KAN PA wrote:
Going to make potato salad for Sunday. How far ahead of time can the potatoes
be peeled? Could they be peeled and kept submerged in water for a few days?

Yes, but an easier way to handle the potatoes is simply not to
peel them. There is no law that says you have to peel potatoes
when you use them for potato salad.

Old 29-05-2004, 12:16 AM
TOM KAN PA
Usenet poster

What a strange question. How long does it take to peel a few spuds?
____Reply Separator_____
And your definition of "a few" is?
And your notion of how many pounds of potato salad I'm making?

Herdez Salsa (continued) (to "sf" nobody) Nancree General Cooking 1 15-05-2004 07:56 PM
European-Style Mashed Potatoes Jake Dawson General Cooking 4 06-05-2004 01:51 PM
Tapioca-my new secret delight Goomba38 General Cooking 32 05-04-2004 11:28 PM
newbie, altitude cooking alia Baking 6 28-12-2003 04:52 PM
Azalie's favorite dish: whipped potatoes [email protected] General Cooking 6 28-11-2003 04:45 AM