Member

Red face Contaminated food.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to start off by saying 'hello to everybody who loves to cook'.

I own a simple gas cooker with grill and hob and I have cooked a variety of vegetables and meat on it over the past five years, and yet for some reason the meat or food that I have cooked have began tasting very differently.
In describing the taste I would say it tasted very much like natural gas, ie the type of gas used in the home.
On eating the meat the 'gas' smell was also remain especially during instances where I had burped (excuse me).
This experience has put me off using my gas cooker because I was sure is the source to the problem, I'm also worried about the health issue to this problem because natural gas isn't really suitable to eat.
I'm also confused because natural gas like any other gas doesn't usually become soluble, so how can natural gas form on my food and thus contaminate it?

This now brings me to my questions.

Has anybody encountered this problem while cooking using 'gas'?

Is their a different source to this problem?

Our their health issues that I should consider due to this event?
Dee Randall

"gisburnuk" > wrote in message

> Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to start off by saying 'hello
> to everybody who loves to cook'.
>
> I own a simple gas cooker with grill and hob and I have cooked a
> variety of vegetables and meat on it over the past five years, and yet
> for some reason the meat or food that I have cooked have began tasting
> very differently.
> In describing the taste I would say it tasted very much like natural
> gas, ie the type of gas used in the home.
> On eating the meat the 'gas' smell was also remain especially during
> instances where I had burped (excuse me).
> This experience has put me off using my gas cooker because I was sure
> is the source to the problem, I'm also worried about the health issue
> to this problem because natural gas isn't really suitable to eat.
> I'm also confused because natural gas like any other gas doesn't
> usually become soluble, so how can natural gas form on my food and thus
> contaminate it?
>
> This now brings me to my questions.
>
> Has anybody encountered this problem while cooking using 'gas'?
>
> Is their a different source to this problem?
>
> Our their health issues that I should consider due to this event?
>

> --
> gisburnuk

I think you've done the right thing to not use it anymore. You might have a
higher degree of sense to odors/tastes than other people. GERD, if you have
it, MIGHT make you even more sensitive. It might also be that the previous
food has not been completely burned off before you start cooking another
item?
Dee Dee
(not a griller, so you can discard my advice promptly)

Doug Kanter

"gisburnuk" > wrote in message

> Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to start off by saying 'hello
> to everybody who loves to cook'.
>
> I own a simple gas cooker with grill and hob and I have cooked a
> variety of vegetables and meat on it over the past five years, and yet
> for some reason the meat or food that I have cooked have began tasting
> very differently.

Are the bricks/stones/whatever they're called all greasy? How about the
grill itself?

Sheldon

gisburnuk wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to start off by saying 'hello
> to everybody who loves to cook'.
>
> I own a simple gas cooker with grill and hob and I have cooked a
> variety of vegetables and meat on it over the past five years, and yet
> for some reason the meat or food that I have cooked have began tasting
> very differently.
> In describing the taste I would say it tasted very much like natural
> gas, ie the type of gas used in the home.
> On eating the meat the 'gas' smell was also remain especially during
> instances where I had burped (excuse me).
> This experience has put me off using my gas cooker because I was sure
> is the source to the problem, I'm also worried about the health issue
> to this problem because natural gas isn't really suitable to eat.
> I'm also confused because natural gas like any other gas doesn't
> usually become soluble, so how can natural gas form on my food and thus
> contaminate it?
>
> This now brings me to my questions.
>
> Has anybody encountered this problem while cooking using 'gas'?
>
> Is their a different source to this problem?
>
> Our their health issues that I should consider due to this event?

Quite possibly Mental Health issues, as in lack of knowlege. Natural
gas has no odor, what you smell is added (for safety). Your stove may
have a gas leak that lingers even after closing the valve (some older
appliances weep that way) and could be what you're smelling while you
eat. Notify your gas company.

Sheldon

~patches~

gisburnuk wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to start off by saying 'hello
> to everybody who loves to cook'.
>
> I own a simple gas cooker with grill and hob and I have cooked a
> variety of vegetables and meat on it over the past five years, and yet
> for some reason the meat or food that I have cooked have began tasting
> very differently.
> In describing the taste I would say it tasted very much like natural
> gas, ie the type of gas used in the home.
> On eating the meat the 'gas' smell was also remain especially during
> instances where I had burped (excuse me).
> This experience has put me off using my gas cooker because I was sure
> is the source to the problem, I'm also worried about the health issue
> to this problem because natural gas isn't really suitable to eat.
> I'm also confused because natural gas like any other gas doesn't
> usually become soluble, so how can natural gas form on my food and thus
> contaminate it?
>
> This now brings me to my questions.
>
> Has anybody encountered this problem while cooking using 'gas'?

Our grill is a natual gas one, the same kind of gas we heat our home
with. We haven't had a problem with any odor remaining in the food.

> Is their a different source to this problem?

My idea would be to check the burner and see if it burning clean. The
flame should be blue. If it orange the burner needs cleaning. Another
problem may be a couple of blocked holes in the burner so the gas isn't
being distributed evenly. I don't know if either would cause the
problem you describe. You might want to check the gas line as well just
in case you have a small leak. Perhaps your gas company could help you
troubleshoot further.